• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Too many bullies

Agent327

Overlord
To plunder their attackers? Every single one of them can get into a position to do that, after playing defensively for a while. If they prioritize right, it won't even take all that long. If they have a head for the battle system, it'll take no time at all.

Rather naïve comment. Against die hard campers they will still not stand a chance.

That specific response wasn't mainly directed at new players, though, but instead answered Chalinna's follow up question to my off hand comment "you're [...] very lucky not to have tried it on me". In other words, it was specifically what I, Einrikr, would do. Even so, there's good advice to be found in it, even for beginners.

No there isn't. All there is is false hope.

What to take of the advise depends on personal preferences. More peacefully minded people would stop at the defensive measures I described, which are certainly available to all.

No they are not. Starting players don't have the silver to buy a city shield.

Rather than playing the game, starting players are forced to leave Militairy Tactics locked and start camping themselves for some time before they can move on. Since most don't know this they just move on to become campers food.

DeletedUser113901

Rather naïve comment. Against die hard campers they will still not stand a chance.

Rather than playing the game, starting players are forced to leave Militairy Tactics locked and start camping themselves for some time before they can move on. Since most don't know this they just move on to become campers food.
But campers make the treasury goods for the guilds the serious new players will join. Without camping treasuries would be completely empty up to IrA and new players would be banned of any guild serious about GE for they would make unlocking of levels too difficult, wich would slow them down a lot and make them quit the game as a result of not being able to follow the lucky few thousands who earn many FPs, units and sometimes a TF from GE, then they wouldn't spend diams and the top players wouldn't have to to keep their spot, wich would ultimately lead to FoE dying of lack of founding.

DeletedUser110131

Against "die hard campers" it will be difficult. However, "die hard campers" that are also "die hard plunderers" are fairly rare. Also, even they aren't impossible to beat, for those who play well enough.

I doubt there are anyone in a situation bad enough that not even one of my described methods can apply. If you want to disagree, I can't stop you; to do so, I'd have to "prove a negative", which is impossible when the variables are unlimited. On the other hand, you only have to prove a positive. In other words, it's up to you to find proof.

Some of the measures will be readily available, without doing any work whatsoever. Other measures will require preparations. I never claimed otherwise. However, no amount of plundering can prevent a player from expanding both his Tavern and his Friends List, and thereby getting every bit as high silver revenue as any other player.

Yes, the poor things are forced to play a strategy game strategically. It's an outrage, I say!

But campers make the treasury goods for the guilds
Haven't you heard? Agent 327 has high-jacked the topic, and declared that it's "only about whether to put campers with campers". With this brilliant rhetorical maneuver, all-be-it completely unfounded and stunningly arrogant, he can now sweep all opposition aside. In his own mind, anyway.

Agent327

Overlord
But campers make the treasury goods for the guilds the serious new players will join. Without camping treasuries would be completely empty up to IrA and new players would be banned of any guild serious about GE for they would make unlocking of levels too difficult, wich would slow them down a lot and make them quit the game as a result of not being able to follow the lucky few thousands who earn many FPs, units and sometimes a TF from GE, then they wouldn't spend diams and the top players wouldn't have to to keep their spot, wich would ultimately lead to FoE dying of lack of founding.

Won't those serious new players fill the treassury again? No campers in my guild and no shortage of goods. Does that mean we are doing something wrong?

Only guilds that are active in GvG really profit from campers and guess what guilds those are.

Agent327

Overlord
Yes, the poor things are forced to play a strategy game strategically. It's an outrage, I say!

You are absolutely tright. Only experienced players know this.

Haven't you heard? Agent 327 has high-jacked the topic, and declared that it's "only about whether to put campers with campers". With this brilliant rhetorical maneuver, all-be-it completely unfounded and stunningly arrogant, he can now sweep all opposition aside. In his own mind, anyway.

Did I in some way hurt your feelings that you have to make it personal? If so I really am sorry. Didn't know that with all that big talk came a small heart. My most sincere apologies.

DeletedUser110131

Only guilds that are active in GvG really profit from campers and guess what guilds those are.
Let me guess: Guilds that you don't like, and therefore have no justification for existing?

You are absolutely tright. Only experienced players know this.
Right. Only experienced players know that strategy games are about strategy. I'm sure someone agrees with you, even if I don't.

My most sincere apologies.
No, no. I obviously hurt your feelings by pointing out that it's arrogant to hijack a topic and start declaring that it's not really about the OP, but something else that you'd much rather discuss. I wish I could say that I'll never hurt your feelings again, but that may be impossible, given your aggressive approach to discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser108359

inno changed neighbourhoods before and could change again if they felt they had a viable solution instead of just changing one problem for a different one

here you have hit the nail squarely, Inno will change it when and if it suits them and for their own reasons

DeletedUser108359

There's a simple solution, run more blacksmiths than you need. If people are not taking simple steps to avoid things like that then quite frankly they deserve it

This happened to me when i was early in the game, someone did exactly that, i wrote and told him i didnt mind being plundered as such but he cost me another 8 hrs to complete the quest. he wrote back and very politely, but basically said if you have exactly the number of buildings needed for the quest then you are a fool.
almost 4 years later and iv never forgotten that and always have at least 2 to 3 extra. just in case.

So proof that even being plundered can help you improve your game, if you learn from it.

DeletedUser108359

Yeah - but at least if it's "what can I do about it" then they can't use the excuse that no one's helping in a meaningful way. They might not be able to control everything, but they can do a lot towards controlling the rules of their own city.

No one can ever use that excuse, there is tons of advise just in this thread alone about what to do. It wont always work of course, but the advise is there and is good.

Agent327

Overlord
Let me guess: Guilds that you don't like, and therefore have no justification for existing?

You guessed wrong, but keep trying.

Right. Only experienced players know that strategy games are about strategy. I'm sure someone agrees with you, even if I don't.

You don't have to agree with me. I must be totally wrong here. Since players know that strategy games are about strategy, every noob will know it is wise to keep Militairy Tactics closed. What was I thinking!

No, no. I obviously hurt your feelings by pointing out that it's arrogant to hijack a topic and start declaring that it's not really about what the OP, but something else that you'd much rather discuss. I wish I could say that I'll never hurt your feelings again, but that may be impossible, given your aggressive approach to discussions.

Don't you know???? I have no feelings. An aggressive approach still isn't personal. If you see it that way you are flattering yourself, but please continue, if you think that will make yopu feel and look better.

DeletedUser

I agree feelings are unpractical, subjective and absolutely irrelevant if present.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110131

You don't have to agree with me. I must be totally wrong here. Since players know that strategy games are about strategy, every noob will know it is wise to keep Militairy Tactics closed. What was I thinking!
Every n00b who knows their way around strategy games in general, will know better than to charge blindly ahead without expecting disastrous consequences. Some will consider their moves carefully. Others will expect to make huge mistakes, and be ready and eager to face the challenge of fixing them, and willing to start over if the mistakes are unfixable. None of them will blame other players for their own beginners mistakes.

Don't you know???? I have no feelings. An aggressive approach still isn't personal.
True. Aggressive isn't necessarily personal. With you, though, it usually is.

If you see it that way you are flattering yourself, but please continue, if you think that will make yopu feel and look better.
Take that, for instance. "You're flattering yourself" is personal. The same goes for "if you think that will make you feel and look better". Your posts are full of such speculation about the personal traits and feelings of other people. Ad hominem arguments are the norm with you.

DeletedUser100133

Hello,

We slightly going off topic, can we stick to the topic, please? Which is new players been plundered by other players!

Thank you

DeletedUser

Hm,.. unsure about that one: the noob.
Obviously they know they enter a strategy game I hope.
The ins and outs though are not crystal clear straight away.
If I start a new world I carefully plan when to do the “militairy Tactics” tech.
Namely if my Tavern is finished and after I have collected lots of siver.
That this point is that crucial a new person simply can’t know unless a gildy warned up front.

DeletedUser110131

That this point is that crucial a new person simply can’t know unless a gildy warned up front.
I have to disagree, there. One of the first things I realized that I had to work out, was the PvP function. When I developed Military Tactics, I was fully aware that it was risky. After all, it was very clearly marked as unlocking PvP fighting. If it had turned out to be a bad decision, I wouldn't have blamed it on anything but poor preparation. As it was, my preparations were fairly adequate, but it still took some time to get on top of it.

That understanding the tech tree is fundamental in strategy games shouldn't catch anyone by surprise. That preparing properly before every step is crucial should be equally unsurprising. That bad decisions will have challenging consequences is why people play strategy games. Decisions and consequences are what makes it a strategy game, rather than just pretty pictures on a screen. There needs to be a constant possibility of making mistakes and being punished. Over time, it even needs to be likely that you'll make a bad decision, and face challenges as a consequence.

I agree that having more complete information more readily available can only be a good thing. However, it's not like the information isn't available, for those who bother to look and think, before they leap.

Unfortunately, some people think that the game is about racing through the ages as quickly as possible. They inevitably end up gimping their cities, and blaming everyone but themselves. One can only assume that these are people who have never before encountered a strategy game of any sort. Designing FoE to suit them would be a major mistake.

To bad for them that it isn't a strategy game, but a strategy building game.
Really? A strategy building game isn't in the strategy game genre? And the strategy aspect of FoE is limited to building? Well, I guess that solves the problem, then. If PvP isn't a strategy aspect, then there's no such thing as being prepared or unprepared for it. Everyone is equal, regardless of what decisions and preparations they have made. It can't possibly pose more problems for the inexperienced than for the experienced. I have no idea why we're even discussing such a non-issue...

Agent327

Overlord
I have to disagree, there. One of the first things I realized that I had to work out, was the PvP function. When I developed Military Tactics, I was fully aware that it was risky. After all, it was very clearly marked as unlocking PvP fighting. If it had turned out to be a bad decision, I wouldn't have blamed it on anything but poor preparation. As it was, my preparations were fairly adequate, but it still took some time to get on top of it..

Nice try.

When you started out Militairy Tactics did not unlock that yet. It was introduced later. Still great argument!