• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Too many bullies

Agent327

Overlord
Please try not to use Expletives in replies. As long as there is the ability to plunder there will always be threads of this nature saying it should be stopped or posing methods to prevent it. The only sure method is a continual city shield loose this umbrella and you just might get wet. Or you can just sing in the rain.

This isn't about being plundered. It is about giving campers their own spot on the campground so they can huddle together. Plundering will still be part of the game.

DeletedUser99692

Giving campers their own place/neighborhoods would mean disrupting the current merge system. This replaced the last one that could include up to 5 ages in one group I don't think anyone wants to return to that. Whilst there is a ways and means to circumvent the games natural flow players will take advantage of it. It can have its disadvantages too when an event quest that cannot be aborted says research a technology. Maybe the Devs are wise to them and that's why these quests are included. Nasty sneaky Devs. lol

DeletedUser110131

How about "I've been plundered - what can I do about it?"
It's rare indeed to find a complainer who's actually interested in that. I know, because I've rarely failed to give at least a few tips, when replying to such complaints. Mostly, they just think it's unfair that they're being affected by how other people play the game. That would be a fair complaint, in a single player game. In a massively multiplayer game it's just silly.

Still, a what-to-do thread may have a purpose, even if only by providing a standard answer to the complaints: "See the sticky!"

I've been plundering blacksmiths to maybe mess up event quests. :lol: am I a bully or just enjoying the game? :D
You're quite the practical joker, and very lucky not to have tried it on me!

DeletedUser

You're quite the practical joker, and very lucky not to have tried it on me!

I am very curious now what can you do?
Yell, scream, pulling your hair out (one by one).

It is a great satisfaction I agree with Cursedveggie.

Vesiger

Monarch
It's rare indeed to find a complainer who's actually interested in that. I know, because I've rarely failed to give at least a few tips
The usual complaint is not "I'm being plundered, it's not fair".
The usual complaint (as in this case) is "plunderers only ever attack those who have no chance of fighting back".

Agent327

Overlord
Giving campers their own place/neighborhoods would mean disrupting the current merge system. This replaced the last one that could include up to 5 ages in one group I don't think anyone wants to return to that. Whilst there is a ways and means to circumvent the games natural flow players will take advantage of it. It can have its disadvantages too when an event quest that cannot be aborted says research a technology. Maybe the Devs are wise to them and that's why these quests are included. Nasty sneaky Devs. lol

Always good to see when a mod is well informed.

On the other hand, we've gotten to the stage where we're reading feedback from some players on the forums that can't play the questlines because of how incompatible certain quest requirements are with their style of play. An example is quest conditions to research new technologies. For players with very specific goals in mind that they want to accomplish in their current age, this can be a quite limiting condition. This doesn't fit with our idea of having questlines being available to all players.

We've heard and understood that feedback, and will try out including alternatives for that type of quest condition. Both the Arthur Conan Doyle questline that recently finished here on Beta, and the upcoming questline about Shah Jahan include alternatives for researching technologies. We'll see how this goes!

https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...-on-recent-questline-and-event-feedback.7503/

Emberguard

Legend
It's rare indeed to find a complainer who's actually interested in that. [...] Mostly, they just think it's unfair that they're being affected by how other people play the game. That would be a fair complaint, in a single player game. In a massively multiplayer game it's just silly. [...]
Yeah - but at least if it's "what can I do about it" then they can't use the excuse that no one's helping in a meaningful way. They might not be able to control everything, but they can do a lot towards controlling the rules of their own city.

There's a simple solution, run more blacksmiths than you need. If people are not taking simple steps to avoid things like that then quite frankly they deserve it
Even better - self aid kits! At least for 1 day, 8 hr, 4 hr productions if you don't want to reset them

The usual complaint (as in this case) is "plunderers only ever attack those who have no chance of fighting back".
Or a combination of both. Some just don't want their city attacked at all even if they could fight back because they feel morally "obligated" not to even touch that area of the game. Even though this is war and rules of war is different to rules of peacetime

Last edited:

DeletedUser110131

Yeah - but at least if it's "what can I do about it" then they can't use the excuse that no one's helping in a meaningful way. They might not be able to control everything, but they can do a lot towards controlling the rules of their own city.
That's true.

I am very curious now what can you do?
Yell, scream, pulling your hair out (one by one).
I could start out by asking him if he was sure he wanted to start a war. I generally don't do that, though; the risk of it being misinterpreted as whining is significant. I might ask at some later stage, after a bit of successful retaliation, if he felt like calling the war off, but probably wouldn't do that, either.

You see, I can do a lot more than write letters.

Defensive measures I'd take are:
I already collect on time from the more significant buildings. However, with supplies I can get a bit sloppy, especially when the amount is minuscule, such as from Blacksmiths. So I'd improve my timing on that. Further, blacksmiths are cheap and require little space, so I'd build one extra, to accommodate the practical joker. Finally, I'd start switching the defense army around a bit, to force the attacker to fight manually and/or accept losses.

Defensive measures I could take, but would consider overkill, are:
Self-motivate my blacksmiths. Ask guild members and friends to motivate my blacksmiths. Buy the City Shield.

Of course, none of that would make him regret having plundered me. The regrets would come from my offensive response. No, I'm not talking about sending a nasty PM (though I bet I could write an obscenely offensive one, if I put my mind to it). In fact, as already stated, he probably wouldn't receive any PM from me. Instead, here's the offensive measure I'd take:
I'd simply plunder him.
Not for supplies, but for FPs and goods.
Every day.
Every time I ended up in his neighborhood.
For months, maybe years.

I know that this is what I'd do, because it's what I have done, and am still doing, to people who have annoyed me. I keep a "shitlist", and it's best not to get on it, because there's no known way to get off it. With some of the entries, I can't remember what they did to annoy me, but I still plunder them whenever I can.

Things I could do offensively, but would consider overkill (for a detail like this): Plunder every member of his guild that I could find. Have my guildmates and friends do the same. If his guild does GvG, attack them there. In the latter case, I might feel obligated to inform his guild's leadership of the background, which would require a lot of writing back and forth, and maybe even result in a boringly peaceful resolution. So, better not. Peace is for sissies.

There's a simple solution, run more blacksmiths than you need. If people are not taking simple steps to avoid things like that then quite frankly they deserve it
I agree on the last point. If I was the peaceful sort, I'd also agree on the first. It's just that leaving it at one simple defensive measure isn't my style. Well, maybe it could happen, if I was pressed for time. Probably not, though. Never has, so far.

The two are usually the same thing: "I'm being plundered, and that's not fair, because I have no chance of fighting back".

The last thing they want to hear is that it's entirely fair, that it's simply nonsense that they can't fight back, and that it's necessary for them to adapt their play to the game, which includes the co-players, rather than demand that the game and co-players adapt to their play. That last point is always what it comes down to: They don't want to play the game as it is. They believe they have a moral right not to be "bothered", regardless of the fact that they're playing a game where the rules explicitly encourage "bothersome" play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord
I'd simply plunder him.
Every day.
For months, maybe years.

Things I could do offensively, but would consider overkill (for a detail like this): Plunder every member of his guild that I could find. Have my guildmates and friends do the same. If his guild does GvG, attack them there. In the latter case, I might feel obligated to inform his guild's leadership of the background, which would require a lot of writing back and forth, and maybe even result in a boringly peaceful resolution. So, better not. Peace is for sissies.

Really big words. How many new players are in the situation to do the same you think?

DeletedUser

That's true.

I could start out by asking him if he was sure he wanted to start a war. I generally don't do that, though; the risk of it being misinterpreted as whining is significant. I might ask at some later stage, after a bit of successful retaliation, if he felt like calling the war off, but probably wouldn't do that, either.

You see, I can do a lot more than write letters.

Defensive measures I'd take are:
I already collect on time from the more significant buildings. However, with supplies I can get a bit sloppy, especially when the amount is minuscule, such as from Blacksmiths. So I'd improve my timing on that. Further, blacksmiths are cheap and require little space, so I'd build one extra, to accommodate the practical joker. Finally, I'd start switching the defense army around a bit, to force the attacker to fight manually and/or accept losses.

Defensive measures I could take, but would consider overkill, are:
Self-motivate my blacksmiths. Ask guild members and friends to motivate my blacksmiths. Buy the City Shield.

Of course, none of that would make him regret having plundered me. The regrets would come from my offensive response. No, I'm not talking about sending a nasty PM (though I bet I could write an obscenely offensive one, if I put my mind to it). In fact, as already stated, he probably wouldn't receive any PM from me. Instead, here's the offensive measure I'd take:
I'd simply plunder him.
Every day.
For months, maybe years.

I know that this is what I'd do, because it's what I have done, and am still doing, to people who have annoyed me. I keep a "shitlist", and it's best not to get on it. With some of the entries, I can't remember what they did to annoy me, but I still plunder them whenever I can.

I agree on the last point. If I was the peaceful sort, I'd also agree on the first. It's just that leaving it at one simple defensive measure isn't my style. Well, maybe it could happen, if I was pressed for time. Probably not, though. Never has, so far.

The two are usually the same thing: "I'm being plundered, and that's not fair, because I have no chance of fighting back".

The last thing they want to hear is that it's entirely fair, that it's simply nonsense that they can't fight back, and that it's necessary for them to adapt their play to the game, which includes the co-players, rather than demand that the game and co-players adapt to their play. That last point is always what it comes down to: They don't want to play the game as it is. They believe they have a moral right not to be "bothered", regardless of the fact that they're playing a game where the rules explicitly encourage "bothersome" play.

I’d be honored by so much devoted attention for plundering a blacksmith.

DeletedUser

@Agent327 plundering Blacksmiths should be mandatory in our guild: just saying.

It is not what your guild can do for you but what they can do for the guild this would be zwesome really!

DeletedUser110131

Really big words. How many new players are in the situation to do the same you think?
To plunder their attackers? Every single one of them can get into a position to do that, after playing defensively for a while. If they prioritize right, it won't even take all that long. If they have a head for the battle system, it'll take no time at all.

That specific response wasn't mainly directed at new players, though, but instead answered Chalinna's follow up question to my off hand comment "you're [...] very lucky not to have tried it on me". In other words, it was specifically what I, Einrikr, would do. Even so, there's good advice to be found in it, even for beginners. What to take of the advise depends on personal preferences. More peacefully minded people would stop at the defensive measures I described, which are certainly available to all.

I’d be honored by so much devoted attention for plundering a blacksmith.
I strive to please!

Seriously, though, it really wouldn't be much effort. Just an entry into the aforementioned list, and a quick check of the list against the new neighbourhood every 14 days (which I do anyway). The attacking and plundering is just fun and profit.