• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Too many bullies

DeletedUser110131

When you started out Militairy Tactics did not unlock that yet. It was introduced later. Still great argument!
My memory of the minutiae (yes, I have studied) may be somewhat hazy. However, I did realize that I needed to understand and prepare for PvP, and made a proper effort to do so. So, the argument stands. Personally I think it's an adequate argument, but I certainly don't object to you saying that it's outright "great".

DeletedUser

Militairy tactics with that unlocking PvP and make it possible to be attacked and attack neighbors is a relatively new feature.
It used to be instantly possible to attack vise versa.

Without proper explanation/ tutorial I doubt a real new player benefits from this.
More seasoned players who start a new world do obviously.
But if that was the purpose of this temporary immunity I highly doubt.

Edit PvP is possible without unlocking militairy tactics namely by unlocking the PvP tower via the campaign map.
Via GE you’ll automatically partipate in PvP without the opportunity to be attacked by neighbors vise versa.
Stronger even it is possible to enter EMA without unlocking Militairy Tactics corrosponding units can be collected via the GE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vesiger

Monarch
When I started the game - and maybe it was because, though I had no idea of it, I was assigned to the newest world, or maybe I was just incredibly lucky - I played it exactly the way I'd expect anyone to do, following the story quests as a guide to what to research next, exploring all the new aspects as quickly as they opened up, attacking my neighbours for fun and fighting practice until the first time I realized there were actual hurt feelings behind the screens. I couldn't join a guild, because mobile players didn't have that option; there wasn't any GE for Ritual Flames, or tavern for a city shield; I didn't have all the fighting advantages that browser players had and still have; I didn't get any Great Buildings until what felt like several Ages after everyone else, and well after we'd formed our own mobile-based guild and a lot of my guildmates had them.
And in all that time I don't remember getting routinely attacked by people I simply had no chance of fighting back against. That didn't happen until a lot later, when presumably the gap between the lower players and the ones who'd been pushing hard opened up a bit. I got attacked by people in my neighbourhood, and I fought back, and generally I had a fairly good chance of winning with a bit of effort. I don't think I was ever in the bottom of a neighbourhood, but if so it definitely wasn't through active attempts to avoid it.
If I'd had the experience as a new player of being routinely attacked and plundered not by my equals but by people with high-level GBs, massive defences and advanced troops, I'd have been every bit as outraged and discouraged as the people who post here - so I have a lot of sympathy for them. It didn't happen to me, and maybe that was just blind chance (I was in a neighbourhood with a lot of the same people for a long time, again maybe due to being on a new world), but it certainly wasn't due to any exercise of strategy on my part.

Agent327

Overlord
My memory of the minutiae (yes, I have studied) may be somewhat hazy.

Somewhat???

However, I did realize that I needed to understand and prepare for PvP, and made a proper effort to do so.

Must be cause you studied.

So, the argument stands.

For you it probably will.

Personally I think it's an adequate argument, but I certainly don't object to you saying that it's outright "great".

Personally I think that when your arguments are made on non existing facts it is time to shut up and go back tyo your studies.

DeletedUser

From behind that permanent and free city shield alais not opening Militairy tactics: fight quests can be done (i.e if no GE available) via hitting sieges on landingzones.
Everyone can.
It gives personal ranking and those needed fights and as a bonus “who cares for GvG and sieges”.

Edit: for app players GvG via the Puffin browser will do.
It is not ideal but fair enough for this and free.

DeletedUser110131

Somewhat???

Must be cause you studied.

For you it probably will.

Personally I think that when your arguments are made on non existing facts it is time to shut up and go back tyo your studies.
Good thing you make an effort not to get personal, Agent327. I can't even imagine what it would look like if you did it on purpose...

Of course the point stands! It never was about the technical details, but about the necessity of planning and preparation. If you join a game where PvP is an aspect, you plan and prepare for it. The expectation that players will do that goes double for strategy games.

As for my "memory lane": On my first world, I spent BA learning and preparing, and started doing PvP in IrA. Not being on the receiving end of plundering during BA seems to have been part luck. New players today don't need that luck; they're protected through BA. On my second world, I started around the time PvP became tied to Military Tactics. By the time I got to Military Tactics, it was unlocking PvP. However, relative to the point about whether or not preparation is integral to strategy gaming, these are details. I was ready for PvP in IrA, which is exactly what's required of new players today.

Shad23

Emperor
for app players GvG via the Puffin browser will do.
It is not ideal but fair enough for this and free.
not sure puffin browser will adapt when HTML will become the only way to play FoE
if not my idea in idea section might be the solution
ask INNO to create an app for GVG
if you want GVG on app pls go suport my idea with a +1 in idea section

DeletedUser

not sure puffin browser will adapt when HTML will become the only way to play FoE

Yeah, not sure either probably puffin will work on it: it is what they do making browsergames accesible on mobile.
I am sure they are informed Flash is to die.

I already said it awhile back. Hood placement needs to consider not just your age but also your rank. It's foolish to pair people with 50 million points in the Iron Age with other Iron age players - it's ridiculous to think that that will work.

Pair that 50 million Iron Age player with others in the 50 million range and he will advance quickly because it's of no more advantage to stay in the Iron age. Or any other age at the point!

Oh, and for those that love to play the game like SimCity, it's of your own making if you advance into an age you have no tactical reason to be in - period!

DeletedUser113901

I already said it awhile back. Hood placement needs to consider not just your age but also your rank. It's foolish to pair people with 50 million points in the Iron Age with other Iron age players - it's ridiculous to think that that will work.

Pair that 50 million Iron Age player with others in the 50 million range and he will advance quickly because it's of no more advantage to stay in the Iron age. Or any other age at the point!

Oh, and for those that love to play the game like SimCity, it's of your own making if you advance into an age you have no tactical reason to be in - period!
So you want to get back to the old neighbourhood system, when fighters only kept three houses and two artillery barracks in their town (having a better city would have granted them too much unwanted points) to plunder people 4, 5 or even 6 ages down?

DeletedUser110131

Where do people find these "50 million Iron Age players"? I'm sure they exist, but I've never encountered one, so I refuse to believe that they're common enough to be a major problem. It's also a myth that such a player remains in IA for the purpose of "bullying" other players. The reason will have to do with goods production or achieving a set challenge (type: "reach 50 million while in IA"). For a 50 million player there's no significant advantage in plundering the neighbors, other than keeping up battle scores and completing quests. That's also why they will usually be among the least eager plunderers. Since their reasons for camping have nothing to do with the neighbours, no amount of fiddling with the neighbourhood merges will make them advance.

if you want GVG on app pls go suport my idea with a +1 in idea section
It will be very surprising if the Blink core (which runs Puffin) fails to run FoE in HTML5 by the time Flash is fully defunct. It's a major project for several major companies, also tapping into the resources of the open source community. Even so, supporting the idea in the ideas forum can't hurt. Unlike many, I believe that Inno keeps an eye on the forum. While high hopes for affecting development will be misplaced, they may respond by releasing some information, if the concern of players becomes significant.

So you want to get back to the old neighbourhood system, when fighters only kept three houses and two artillery barracks in their town (having a better city would have granted them too much unwanted points) to plunder people 4, 5 or even 6 ages down?

No - Not true - Hood placement should be based on Rank & Age - Both need to be considered!

DeletedUser110131

Hood placement should be based on Rank & Age - Both need to be considered!
More criteria means less flexibility. Each player will match to fewer potential neighbours. That runs contrary to the point of the neighbourhood merges, which is to bring each player into contact with a multitude of other players, rather than the same players over and over again.

There are also unintended consequences:
- Trade in low score neighbourhoods will be abysmal. The players will be less active, and have fewer goods to trade.
- Players in low score neighbourhoods will have fewer GBs to invest in, and get fewer investments to their own GBs. They'll be entirely dependent on high score guild members and FL'ers for BPs, FP packs and medals.
- Aiding will be lower in low score neighbourhoods, as they will have less active players.
- Many FL'ers will be people who have been in the same neighbourhood; for players in low score neighbourhoods, that means less active FL'ers, with fewer GBs.

Making things worse, it quite possibly won't help much against plundering. The score in itself says very little about military strength and capacity. When it comes to inclination to plunder, players with well developed cities have a much lesser need for it. An Arc will give a very high score, but no military benefits. Rather than being a threat, a high Arc in the neighbourhood results in more donations to buildings, and the opportunity to get Arc BPs. The same and similar goes for many other "peaceful" GBs. Meanwhile, most of the military GBs give relatively low scores; you can have a pretty high Zeus, CoA and CdM, with limited effect on the score.

For the majority of high score players, I actually fail to see any real drawback. On the contrary, they'll benefit from the opposite of these negative effects. That will more than outweigh the loss of the occasional limestone or ebony plank.

Personally, I think this would be a disaster for the lower score players, and for the game as a whole.

Agent327

Overlord
Good thing you make an effort not to get personal, Agent327. I can't even imagine what it would look like if you did it on purpose...

Of course the point stands! It never was about the technical details, but about the necessity of planning and preparation. If you join a game where PvP is an aspect, you plan and prepare for it. The expectation that players will do that goes double for strategy games.

As for my "memory lane": On my first world, I spent BA learning and preparing, and started doing PvP in IrA. Not being on the receiving end of plundering during BA seems to have been part luck. New players today don't need that luck; they're protected through BA. On my second world, I started around the time PvP became tied to Military Tactics. By the time I got to Military Tactics, it was unlocking PvP. However, relative to the point about whether or not preparation is integral to strategy gaming, these are details. I was ready for PvP in IrA, which is exactly what's required of new players today.

I left "not getting personal" after you continued to get personal. You can say I stooped to your level.

Your point is moot. You join a game without knowing PvP and plundering is part of it.

As for your memory lane, what makes you think I care?

1911Luvr

Private
I think the frustration with plundering comes from a couple different things:
1.) The poor defensive AI-Lets face it, most defensive armies don't stand a chance the way it stands! The AI could be improved by Inno to make better defensive choices or could be improved by being able to manually fight your defensive army if you were online at the time of the attack
2.) The game is drastically skewed to favor the attacker-The poor AI contributes to this. Also, the way that the neighborhoods are paired up. Top 10 players in the 'hood often have maxed out offensive GB's. Bottom players in the 'hood may not even have any defensive GB's. I think this could be improved by giving a defensive boost to the defending army based on player ranking points. In my hood right now the #1 player has 122,734,329 points and the bottom player has 4,110,856. The top player has 30x the points of the bottom player. So if you attack someone lower in points than yourself, the defender gets a boost (some percentage) based on the difference in ranking points. This would not apply if you are attacking someone who ranks higher than you. This would make attacking more "expensive" and at least give the lower ranked players a chance.

DeletedUser112892

2.) The game is drastically skewed to favor the attacker-The poor AI contributes to this. Also, the way that the neighborhoods are paired up. Top 10 players in the 'hood often have maxed out offensive GB's. Bottom players in the 'hood may not even have any defensive GB's. I think this could be improved by giving a defensive boost to the defending army based on player ranking points. In my hood right now the #1 player has 122,734,329 points and the bottom player has 4,110,856. The top player has 30x the points of the bottom player. So if you attack someone lower in points than yourself, the defender gets a boost (some percentage) based on the difference in ranking points. This would not apply if you are attacking someone who ranks higher than you. This would make attacking more "expensive" and at least give the lower ranked players a chance.
Why should game favor players who are less active and rush through eras, squandering FPs immediately, without using brain? They should learn from their own mistakes, not to be rewarded for them by having a free defense boost.
Plus, most of them have only 2 Spears in defense.

DeletedUser110131

I left "not getting personal" after you continued to get personal. You can say I stooped to your level.
Personal is your normal modus.

As for your memory lane, what makes you think I care?
What makes me think that... Well, I guess I began to suspect it when you started fact-checking my memory. You see, you can't do that, without revealing that you care. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, though. I'm flattered, really.

Your point is moot. You join a game without knowing PvP and plundering is part of it.
Really? You joined this game, having no idea that it was competitive? I took one look at the description, which said "strategy" and "multiplayer", and knew that it either had PvP, or it was false advertizing. In fact, I was disappointed to find the PvP aspect so limited. The strategic interaction between players is just barely enough to call it a multiplayer strategy game, rather than a single player game with a messaging system.

Anyone who joins a multiplayer strategy game without expecting PvP, will have no sympathy from me. The same with anyone who joins without expecting that victory will carry reward (such as to plunder) and defeat carry punishment (such as to be plundered). This is truly basic stuff, built into the very definition of the genre.

Agent327

Overlord
What makes me think that... Well, I guess I began to suspect it when you started fact-checking my memory. You see, you can't do that, without revealing that you care. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, though. I'm flattered, really.

Hate to tell you this, but I never needed to fact check. My memory works just fine.

Really? You joined this game, having no idea that it was competitive? I took one look at the description, which said "strategy" and "multiplayer", and knew that it either had PvP, or it was false advertizing. In fact, I was disappointed to find the PvP aspect so limited. The strategic interaction between players is just barely enough to call it a multiplayer strategy game, rather than a single player game with a messaging system.

I remember another description that says "city building strategy game".