• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #35 (technically should have started 2018-01-01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser111589

Near where I live, there are buildings like that that tourists flock to see.

Few villages recreated to look like they are from middle ages exist in my country, each of them is full of tourists during summer. I'd never go there

DeletedUser111866

Few villages recreated to look like they are from middle ages exist in my country, each of them is full of tourists during summer. I'd never go there
Any multistory houses in there? Maybe they really costed diamonds to build back then...

DeletedUser110179

China loves to copy entire towns and cities .

140602143448-shanghai-eiffel-tower-text-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Iwateguy

Major-General
I hear that many people who play on the app don't seem to find a way to set up a defensive army.

I suspect some folks might think that building defensive GBs and the like is the way to create that defensive army. Since Inno doesn't explain otherwise, it's not an unreasonable guess.

What I'd be curious to know is just why Inno has chosen NOT to explain it. We're told "Add units here for your attacking army." It should be just as simple to have the same for a defending army.

So, why don't they? Maybe they feel it's necessary to have lots of easy, risk-free kills for those who don't like to scratch the paint on their armour?

Emberguard

Legend
I do think, though, that the tutorial should place more emphasis on how to set up a defensive army.
yeah it's pretty much non-existant in the tutorial. I just knew how to do it by looking at the button that said "defence" *shrug*

but then again I was looking to see what all the features in the game were.

I hear that many people who play on the app don't seem to find a way to set up a defensive army.
It's still fairly easy to find on mobile. It pops up every time you select a unit for battle. The only thing is now they've implemented drag and drop it may be less likely for people to find it if they haven't already. And there's no actual explanation as to what the defence is or does, just that it exists.

My guess is those that don't figure it out, are more likely to be those that never plunder

Last edited:

Iwateguy

Major-General
They want them to stand up and fight ... no amount of defensive knowledge and inaction is going to make them winners.

I don't quite get what you're trying to say here. Can defending armies be controlled? My understanding is that the AI controls the defending army when your city is attacked.

Let me try again. Why don't Inno explain to players how to create a defending army in the same way they explain how to create an attacking one?

After puzzling over your answer a bit more, I'm wondering about your definition of winner. Has Inno stated such a definition?

If I have a city where I'm trying to "negotiate" my way through the game and see fighting as a last resort, having a strong defending army that will discourage all but the most highly-motivated from attacking me would seem to be a worthwhile objective. If this strategy can get me to end-game (don't know if it's possible or not), isn't that what's important? That and enjoying the game along the way?

Emberguard

Legend
At what point did plundering become a thing? Was this something there from the start or just something thrown in later down the track?

In either scenario Inno probably forgot to explain that feature, or assumed it'd be self explanatory

DeletedUser110179

I don't quite get what you're trying to say here.
In a battle game ... there's no glory in defense.

Many players askew battle completely ... no Zeus, CoA, CdM or Alcatraz and take the road less traveled ... but then you might aswell play Monopoly or get rich in some kind of business simulation. It seems silly to go the defense route in a war game. Inno wants everyone to participate in battle ... not to merely defend the city and let the AI carry on (no matter how strong the DA).
Inno intended for everyone to battle each other in PvP and GvG ... the original aims and ideals have become lost in the mists of time.

FoE has lost it's teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

Legend
War isn't just attack though, it's defence as well. Otherwise there'd be no actual war, there'd only be one side fighting. How is that any different from farming livestock if the enemy can't defend itself?

Spoken by George_C._Scott in the film Patton said:
I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country

Last edited:

DeletedUser110179

War isn't just attack though, it's defence as well. Otherwise there'd be no actual war, there'd only be one side fighting. How is that any different from farming livestock if the enemy can't defend itself?
Sure, armour will protect you eventhough it wont kill the enemy ... but you're still actively involved in the battle.
Trench warfare in WWI was incredibly defensive but everyone was actively involved in the fighting
(discounting the army of factory workers, transport personnel and general staff).

Placing DAs and building defensive GBs doesn't involve any active participation in battle. Some players have never seen a battle screen. Warriors may be aware of the advantages of defense as a means to win the battle but defensive players are completely isolated from the battle experience (except as an attack notice or plunder loss).
Defensive players in FoE are no longer involved in battle ... they're like innocent civilians (or factory workers) who got bombed during WWII.

Inno intended everyone to be warriors involved in battle ... defense was just a secondary option.
Even farmers can be involved in battle (in Israel, farmers really are army reservists).

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

Legend
pretty.jpg

The Rogue Hideout and the Cider Mill almost look like they're apart of the same building when next to each other don't they? The fountain kinda suits it too

Status
Not open for further replies.