• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

We need better neighbourhood merge

DeletedUser8813

my hood consists of 48 players ,me being no1 in the hood on 890k points..no2 in the hood 178k points.last in the hood 1k points ..talk about disparity in the hood

DeletedUser

the recent thread on PvP Tower battles goes to highlight the advantage that some are of given due to the appalling 'hood system as it is at present. I accept that 'at some stage' it will be looked at, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to persist with a game that so obviously breaks the rules that it has created for all to abide by. :mad:

DeletedUser8813

the recent thread on PvP Tower battles goes to highlight the advantage that some are of given due to the appalling 'hood system as it is at present. I accept that 'at some stage' it will be looked at, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to persist with a game that so obviously breaks the rules that it has created for all to abide by. :mad:

yes i for one agree,you would think that this would be the most important problem on the agenda ,giving every player equal opportunity to compete on the same level.
there needs to be a better system to keep all the hoods at an optimum level.
when some can score at 3 million points in pvp and others are struggling to get 1 million,the system is hugely imbalanced.. and i am not talking about the light pvp players i am talking about the players who attack the hood daily,the active players as this affects them the most.

DeletedUser

I think putting all the diamond farmers in their own neighborhoods would help b/c it will clear a lot of deadweight and let truly active towns that actually advance be grouped together. I have had less than 50 for quite a while now and there are a bunch of neighbors that are stuck perpetually in early ages with no military. I have no doubt I would get a merge if they were cleared out.

DeletedUser8813

I think putting all the diamond farmers in their own neighborhoods would help b/c it will clear a lot of deadweight and let truly active towns that actually advance be grouped together. I have had less than 50 for quite a while now and there are a bunch of neighbors that are stuck perpetually in early ages with no military. I have no doubt I would get a merge if they were cleared out.

yes i dont see why players cant tick a box when they start to be an active pvp player or a farmer as we call them.
then the hood could still compete for there own towers but all pvp players could thrown in a big field attack as many as you can do every 24 hours.now that would make it a battle royale..
but then you will still have the active pvp,er who runs no defense because they are not confident enough to battle on an even field.

DeletedUser7719

It would be "server overload" to try and merge everyone together...

DeletedUser

yes i dont see why players cant tick a box when they start to be an active pvp player or a farmer as we call them.
then the hood could still compete for there own towers but all pvp players could thrown in a big field attack as many as you can do every 24 hours.now that would make it a battle royale..
but then you will still have the active pvp,er who runs no defense because they are not confident enough to battle on an even field.

some people are legitimate farmers and just don't do the military stuff, but they still advance through the ages and everything. Diamond farmers are people who don't have any interest in developing their town and are just there for the chance that the looping and story quests will give them diamonds. These towns cause more problems than just blocking neighborhood merging, but I won't go into those here haha. If people want to do that, it is cool with me, but it sucks they are preventing rest of neighborhood from getting enjoyment out of towns they actually care about

Last edited by a moderator:

. ICE .

Chief Warrant Officer
We are stuck at about 52 .... around 6 of which are virtually inactive as far as i can tell ... its quite frustrating ... i keep "willing them to disappear " ... lol
But as i see some of you guys in hoods in the 40s for some time ....i guess i will be waiting a while longer for some new competition :(

If i dont get some soon ... it will get boring ...once final Ind Age province is out of the way.

This does need another solution ...to keep the serious players engaged.imo

DeletedUser

Been in a few hood merges now over the coarse of my play time in this game. They seem to happen when you get below that magical 40. This can take months and months to happen, but will eventually. Careful what you wish for thou, as a lot in my last hood were begging for a merge till it happened. Me i loved it went from 1st to 3rd in the hood and to the best point gain hood on the server. Some others were like wtf lol, but have adjusted.

Been reading all these suggestions and are a lot of interesting ideas, but all have draw backs. Personal feeling is like leeroyj said. Semi to semi inactive need to be removed from active hoods. Honestly would it be that big a deal if the folk that want to play this game like a city building trade sim with no pvp were all together happily doing thier thing? And us pvp hounds tearing each other up? Think the world be a happier place for both sides.

DeletedUser

So a new player with no FoE knowledge is meant to choose how they intend to play.....?
What if a player changes their mind, how then would they be able to jump into a PVP hood...?

Personal feeling is like leeroyj said. Semi to semi inactive need to be removed from active hoods.
Who decides what is active and semi active? Where is the line drawn? A player border-lining this could end up changing hoods every week, thus no consistency for that player. Furthermore, we are talking about the server evaluating each player and assigning them to a hood accordingly, this will be a massive server drain which would potentially cause game downtime every week while it processes those actions.

You are right though, it is an issue that effects everyone and there are drawbacks to every idea.

An idea that has just occurred to me (similar to some others already mentioned) is this:
Merge triggered when a hood reaches 60 players. All triggered hoods have their average score and age calculated.
Of these triggered hoods, the oldest one without a merge is selected as the first to be split.
It is then split into 3 groups of 20, the top 20, the mid 20 and the low 20. The average age and score is then calculated for these 3 groups.
The top 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the top 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The Mid 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the mid 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The low 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the low 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The process is then repeated until there is less than 4 hoods with 60 players. Less than 4 because the process requires 1 hood to split, and 3 to receive a merge.

No doubt there will be problems with my theory, but it helps keep hood above 60 each week

DeletedUser8813

So a new player with no FoE knowledge is meant to choose how they intend to play.....?
What if a player changes their mind, how then would they be able to jump into a PVP hood...?

hey i didnt say my idea was perfect..but then nor is the system you have now..its all about throwing idea,s out there ,sooner or later some one will get an idea that works
it doesn't have to be straight up ,it would not be the first game i have played that after a time i was asked in which direction i would like take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hawr-nee Knight, wasn't trying to pick holes in your idea, someone else may have had answers to thos questions which would have refined your idea.... :P

DeletedUser3157

Just shuffle the hoods like every once in a while or use any other of my simple yet brilliant ideas and this 26 page thread would be a non-issue. The idea of being stuck with same people till eternity is cute, but very boring and makes hood merging and all in regard overly difficult.

DeletedUser4906

In my 'ood only 42 players & about 10 are inactive, take away the 9 in my guild & Moi so only 22 to fight, so when i see players racking up 500+ fights a week it's very annoying.:mad:

I'm #2 in the 'ood & #1 is a pure Diamond player so has military aplenty, Museum's galore, W.Well's falling out of his pocket's & every GB there is etc etc so stroll's off into the stratosphere......:rolleyes:

Something has to be done.:eek:

DeletedUser

Who decides what is active and semi active? Where is the line drawn?

The line I was talking about is pretty easy to draw. If someone does not advance an age in the span of several months (and I am talking about bronze/iron and even EMA to a lesser extent) b/c they only log in to collect wells and try to get diamonds from random quest rewards, then they should not be stuck in a neighborhood with people who actually care about playing. Removing this clutter would help some of the neighborhood problem. We are at 47 and have about 8 or 9 of these towns

DeletedUser5904

Coming up through the game I think we all have experimented with plundering our fallen foes, and may have found it was a viable way to make up for the thousands of coin lost per day in troop replacement. That said though, I think most of us got past that once a certain point of city development takes place and we no longer are waiting around for enough coin/resources to unlock things. I know for me that by the time I made it to the end of the tech and got into farming mode (at the end of CA) I had long since stopped plundering (except for those with whom I have/had a guild rivalry or those who plundered me mercilessly when I was coming up).

All that said I guess I am going to have to start up again. Someone posited the question "Who decides what is active and semi active? Where is the line drawn?" and I guess my response is, that in an indirect way, I decide. It seems crass and counterproductive to bully somebody into hating me enough to quit the game, but as long as the neighborhood merger process is broken (and the seeming indifference to get something done about it) it's my only choice. It's the only means left for me to hasten a neighborhood merger. I suppose I could drop a hundred bucks on diamonds and place 20 plus wheelwrights in my town in order to stem the tide of people shooting up behind me or past me on the global rankings while I wait indefinitely for 4-5 people to drop off the hood....but it's easier and cheaper to give them a shove off that cliff.

DeletedUser

Who decides what is active and semi active? Where is the line drawn? A player border-lining this could end up changing hoods every week, thus no consistency for that player. Furthermore, we are talking about the server evaluating each player and assigning them to a hood accordingly, this will be a massive server drain which would potentially cause game downtime every week while it processes those actions.

You are right though, it is an issue that effects everyone and there are drawbacks to every idea.

An idea that has just occurred to me (similar to some others already mentioned) is this:
Merge triggered when a hood reaches 60 players. All triggered hoods have their average score and age calculated.
Of these triggered hoods, the oldest one without a merge is selected as the first to be split.
It is then split into 3 groups of 20, the top 20, the mid 20 and the low 20. The average age and score is then calculated for these 3 groups.
The top 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the top 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The Mid 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the mid 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The low 20 is then merged into the triggered hood where the low 20 players and the hood have a similar average score and age
The process is then repeated until there is less than 4 hoods with 60 players. Less than 4 because the process requires 1 hood to split, and 3 to receive a merge.

No doubt there will be problems with my theory, but it helps keep hood above 60 each week

The developers would set the thresh hold on what would be considered active semi active. Haveing to close the servers for a hour a week wouldnt be the end of the world either for a better hood merge system, points are already tracked and a fairly good indication of how active someone is. Yes people would scream at first that the servers were down a hour each Sunday, then it just become part of the game. A ton of games have standard down time for server maintenence ect. Again this is just imo, not knowing the server limits or the dev's coding abilitys, I dont even know if this be possible. Just think it wouldn't be a bad thing to get the pvpers together and the folk that just want to build/trade together. (know about the whole wolf/sheep thing a lot bring up for these types of disscussions, but dont think they apply here).

Again thou these are just my oppinions and in the long run mean nothing.

Your idea is also interesting, but youll be needing that server time as it take a lot of proccessing to do it, same as it would mine i'd think.

DeletedUser

Why every week though? , if it would mean mean so much down time, why not once a fortnight. Also bear in mind, once it had been done a few time, the amount of 'hoods requiring such actions may also lessen. There have been many excellent idea given these last 10 (ten) months this thread has been running. Many of them whilst not perfect, would at least attempt to solve a problem, which for some reason seems to be 'overlooked'. But now is the time for the Ostrich approach to end, and a solution to emerge. So 'come on FoE team', show us some more of your brilliance, and lay to rest this problem, once and for all..... :D