• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

We need better neighbourhood merge

DeletedUser13805

Neighbourhood Merge, Guild Wars, New Eras, New Maps, Bonus Content, Special Events, Bugfixes.... the list is long, perhaps they could spin plates and juggle bowling pins while they're at it....

well if there is that much work to be sorted out then why on earth bring a game out ? its like saying here is half a tv you will get the other half in a year or so.

if there can not cope of do there job then they shouldnt be doing it. and i dont think sorting out a problem of merging is such a hard thing to sort out.
simply put all like wise scores together in the same hood what is so hard about that ?
that way 100 point ranked players will be with 100 point ranked players and if they want to attack each other and plunder each other they can in a fair way as they will get plundered back

now is that so dam hard ?

DeletedUser

points have little to do with how far along the tech tree someone is desypete

DeletedUser13805

points have little to do with how far along the tech tree someone is desypete

ok so put a player with a 100 points in with a player that has 100,000 points ? i think there is a huge difference and the player with that many points will have a huge advantage.

ok if points are going to be an issue then how about banding people of the same age only ? bronze age hoods up to ind age hoods ? that way everyone would at least be in the same age and face they same oppersition ? and it would give the new players a bit of a chance ?

DeletedUser276

from what I remember neighborhoods are merged on numerous factors. One of them being the average points in the neighborhood. So if you got 1 guy thats ripping the score apart and the rest all quit the game... the game has to wait for enough open player slots in a couple of neighborhoods plus average points.

Also Desypete dont insult the devs. If your upset then dont play. We have thousands of people who can play the game without resorting to insults or telling the devs not to do their job or release the game etc etc.

DeletedUser13805

Also Desypete dont insult the devs. If your upset then dont play. We have thousands of people who can play the game without resorting to insults or telling the devs not to do their job or release the game etc etc.

it wasnt an insult i just dont like excuses for something i have paid good money for and jobs dont get done. just how much time does it take ? and i thank you to remember that it is we the customer who pays there wages.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

desypete, patience. Not like it's an easy job where you have to press a button to get it done. Not only that, we're a fraction of all the players of this game; don't forget that other servers may not care as much for a neighborhood merges (and others may care about it more).

DeletedUser

simply put all like wise scores together in the same hood what is so hard about that ?
Going by the length of this discussion thread (and being one of few people that have actually read every single post) there are many arguments regarding why certain ideas have not been very suitable. There have also been numerous ideas bounced around and despite it being such a long-term problem for many players, no-one has managed to come up with an idea that has made it to the Great Ideas section.....so no, I really don't think it is that simple.

it wasnt an insult i just dont like excuses for something i have paid good money for and jobs dont get done. just how much time does it take ? and i thank you to remember that it is we the customer who pays there wages
Personally I find this sort of remark so arrogant that it is insulting! If you think it is so easy, why are you playing the game and not developing it. Nobody told you you HAD to buy diamonds, you were not charged a subscription to play therefore your comment "we the customer...." is irrelevant. It is a game, it is a source of entertainment and one that has recently left Beta stage, many games have updates and new features after full release and go on doing so, some of them over a number of years.

Not like it's an easy job where you have to press a button to get it done. Not only that, we're a fraction of all the players of this game; don't forget that other servers may not care as much for a neighborhood merges (and others may care about it more).
Exactly! It's not an easy job, otherwise you wouldn't need to study programming and attend many courses over a number of years in order to develop the necessary skills to develop a game. Furthermore, creating the game is one thing, balancing is a comprehensive juggling of mathematical figures and forumale in order to ensure no one player is given an advantage oftem, this can be a case of trial and error.

Have some patience, in the mean time, develop your own ideas in the relevant selection and see if you are able to come up with a good idea and gain enough support for your idea to make it to the nect shelf.

DeletedUser

it wasnt an insult i just dont like excuses for something i have paid good money for and jobs dont get done. just how much time does it take ?

@Desypete, please take on board what the Mods have tried to point out. I am sure (pretty much so) that you are not perfect within the job you are in (few are, unless you are my wife,apparently :rolleyes: ) It has been pointed out many,many times that the fundamentals of 'hoods and the present merger system are grossly inadequate. But the Devs are only human, and time must be given to them to help facilitate the much needed rework of the 'hoods as they are at present. This is a long thread and the topic has been going for quite some time now. As pointed out earlier they are aware of it, and I am sure that a more fairer system is being devised. Whilst some of us have no option but to live with it at present, there does seem to be 'a light at the end of the tunnel'.

DeletedUser

The developers definitely listen to player feedback and take all of our opinions into consideration. After all, they are making the game for us to play and they want us to enjoy it if only so that we keep coming back.

Case in point, one of the top complaints in the recent survey we took was about the poor AI and how many players felt it wasn't even worth trying to defend their city. The AI update in 1.02 was an attempt to address this, and while there are still some issues to work out, they are obviously trying.

Also keep in mind that there are many future updates being worked on, any of which could include something that addresses this issue. Just because they haven't been able to tell us details doesn't mean they aren't working on it. For example, the upcoming Guild Wars feature will include many more PvP options that may make neighborhood size irrelevant. In that case there would obviously be no need to put time and manpower into changing how neighborhood merges work.

Don't take this as me saying you shouldn't still share your opinions though. The developers still need to hear how you feel about things to know what needs to be looked at. Just saying there is no need to be insulting or to have so much animosity.

DeletedUser

Just how upcoming are we talking... days, weeks, months or years away? ;)

I am almost positive that we will hear more about it in 2013!

But on a serious note, they don't tell us lowly moderators any additional information about things like that. When any more details about Guild Wars are released, I will rind out about it at the same time as you guys.

DeletedUser5904

The biggest complaint about neighborhood merge from what I can tell is NOT who is getting merged with whom, nor the disparity in points from top of the hood to the bottom (though these also need to be addressed eventually). IMHO and after reading and participating in this thread the biggest concern is "HOW OFTEN" the neighborhoods get merged due to waiting until two similar neighborhoods hit the 40 active player threshold. My neighborhood has languished in the mid 40's for MONTHS now...MONTHS!!! While I can appreciate the problems of the former being more difficult to fix, the latter just isn't that difficult. I have said it before in this thread, and will continue to say it...instead of waiting for two similar neighborhoods to drop to 40'ish population before merging, look at merging 3 similar neighborhoods floating in the 50'ish population range into 2 neighborhoods. It will speed up the process of mergers, not too quickly but by several weeks in some cases. And in doing so it takes a step to solving some of the former problems of how to make a fair sorting of the neighborhoods. When you are creating 2 new neighborhoods out of 3 old ones instead of trying to create 1 new neighborhood out of two old ones, you have more flexibility in creating neighborhoods where the points and/or progression disparity isn't as large.

DeletedUser7719

Same here. It's great temporary solution to this problem until neighborhoods are thought out again

DeletedUser

As far as I can tell that's not a possibility currently. Using 3 to create 2 would require splitting up up to 3 neighborhoods. Currently the only tech the Devs use for neighborhood sorts is to fuse full neighborhoods. There is no splitting of neighbors involved.

If they could split and sort 3 into 2 they would be able to split and sort into other methods, which as far as I know, isn't currently possible.

DeletedUser

As far as I can tell that's not a possibility currently. Using 3 to create 2 would require splitting up up to 3 neighborhoods. Currently the only tech the Devs use for neighborhood sorts is to fuse full neighborhoods. There is no splitting of neighbors involved.

If they could split and sort 3 into 2 they would be able to split and sort into other methods, which as far as I know, isn't currently possible.

Indeed, by merging 3 into 2 neighbourhoods, you are talking about splitting neighbourhoods, the question then is which hood do you split, and where do you split it, what considerations are taken in place in the split? Unfortunately coltfan1313, your answer produces yet more questions.

As Taerriyn pointed out though, Guild Wars will be here soon (it was due on 23rd April) and the effect that has could have big impacts on neighbourhoods anyway.... don't let that put you off posting an idea if you have one though, the development team are given the feedback from the players hence why we insist on ideas being posted in the proper format in the relevant place ;)

DeletedUser7719

top 80 (point-wise) = one new neighborhood
bottom 80 (point-wise) = other new neighborhood

DeletedUser4906

We've only had 40+ a few in our neighbourhood for week's & week's too, makes it very difficult to accrue point's in PvP when a third of da 'hood are in your guild.

It's Pa........I nearly said it!:p

DeletedUser5904

You split them all, creating two neighborhoods that are as fair as possible based on disparity of city points and/or progression. My solution only creates more questions if the primary focus during the split is keeping neighbors together. I don't know if that should be a consideration anyway when you take into account that even with the current merge scenario you will encounter up to 40 new neighbors in a merger in a 2 to 1 split. In a 3-2 split most people will only experience up to a dozen or so additional or fewer neighbors than that depending what the devs do with it.

IMHO it's a small price to pay to get mergers more frequently and take a step towards at least a temporary fix to the status quo which is broken. As far as this idea being in it's proper place, this is a thread about better neighborhood merges and it has been floating around the top of this forum since last August, with several members of the admin team having posted in it...I can think of no more proper place.

And goodness, I keep hearing about these guild wars for months now too. They have taken on a "chuck norris like" persona, now being a possible cure for slow neighborhood merges. They can cure anything from male pattern baldness to ingrown toenails, make you more attractive to the opposite/same gender simultaneously and when the boogeyman goes to sleep for the night he checks under his bed for FOE Guild Wars.