• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Gambrel Roof House is way too powerful

DeletedUser

personally, i think the extra population is a negative. I have approx 4000 spare population which is no help to me because it means i need to provide my people with 4800 more happiness.
this means you could have more 1 hour houses than 24hr by saving all this space on happy buildings (although i still choose to use 24hr)

DeletedUser

Now let's say the average person can get 6 collections a day in on the weekdays, and 12 collections a day on weekend days.
Your idea of average weekend person fits the profile of someone who:

- is a triple amputee and given up on any RL socializing, friends, family, shopping, fresh air, going to the movies.
or
- works double shifts on weekend as a guard sitting in a windowless room with nothing else to do but keep his/her on camera screens and monitor
or
- owns an internet cafe and is the only employee.
or
- is an army personal in an Alaskan military base keeping an eye in case a Russian bomber flies around

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

actually this game is all about balancing....each specific buildings have their own advantage and disadvantage...etc house if you play more than 6hours a day you can fill ur town with 1hour house...on the other hand, if you can only log in once in day then g.r.h is suitable for you...ofcourse they are also disadvantage 1hour house provide less while g.r.h provide a huge amount of population..so the solution is always use a piece of paper to calculate how many hour you're playing and how many population you need in order not to waste so many people unemployed...:D:D

DeletedUser11781

My stratgey is to have both, I collect about 5/6 times a day on the Arcade Houses and the 1 collection per day on the Gambrel Roof Houses... Because if all your houses are GRH you will loose out on the hours you are not at work sleeping eating.

DeletedUser4800

My point is that for the amount of nothing you do, you gain significantly more resources comparatively to the 1 hour house which you need to collect from at least 8 times each day, every day to gain a significant advantage.

I mean I just don't see how people and the developers can't see this, its so obvious and I've tested a lot of games, from Starcraft 1, RA3, Warcraft 3, CL, CIV, etc... so I know an imbalance when I see one.

DeletedUser

My point is that for the amount of nothing you do, you gain significantly more resources comparatively to the 1 hour house which you need to collect from at least 8 times each day, every day to gain a significant advantage.

For someone like me who has internet access all day long and a pc running, stopping by it for 1 minute every hour is not a big problem. So I spend about 8 minutes total / day collecting from my 1 hour houses, I wouldn't call that a huge time investment or much trouble to do. And I doubt I am the only one who is able to do this.

It all boils down to how you play the game. For me the 1 hour houses pay off nicely :) If for someone else the other houses work better then go ahead, use them. But it's not overpowered as 1 hour houses are perfectly viable option if your playstyle matches them. I only use enough bigger houses to satisfy my population needs, and as such I don't have an overflow of unemployed people and extra cultural buildings around either to keep them all happy.

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser3157

24h houses seem tailor-made for St. Marks. I know since I made the calculations right after GBs came out and as soon as I got my St. Marks, I replaced my 90 arcade houses with 74 gambrel houses. Does it mean they are overpowered though? Could be, but I'm leaning towards fair "no". More like it is just a combo that perfects each-other and works well together, stacking up the bonus. There are combo strategies in many games, but yeah 1h house could one as well now.

Would I have built any gambrel houses if I didn't have St. marks? No way. Would I on normal gameplay without 3 month wait between ages burn 2+ million supplies for gambrel house upgrade when just week(s) away from next 1h house upgrade when all previous ages I've used 1h houses? No way, I would only maybe consider it If I had St. Marks.

Besides I think devs are aware of how St. Marks has off-set the balance between short and long duration houses slightly and the InA 1h house will be likely boosted up even extra to make for it.

DeletedUser3157

When you get +500k coins a day, to burn 2+ million supplies for gambrel house upgrade is a good investment.

I got about 200-250k coins per day with arcade houses and now get about 340k coins per day with my lvl 8 St. Marks and gambrel houses. Hence why I went after St. Marks, but it is not as crazy as you make it sound.

DeletedUser3157

probably because they are not motivated all... but with a good guild and 80 friends in list, even some neighbours you can easy get +500k

I ask for polish first and then motivation on tobacco farms next, I get more profit that way.

DeletedUser4800

Either way the houses are overpowered and need to get a big nerf, I mean this is beyond obvious. If I told you the sky is blue, its not my opinion, the sky is blue. So when I say the 24 hour houses are overpowered they are and that is the reality.

DeletedUser

Either way the houses are overpowered and need to get a big nerf, I mean this is beyond obvious. If I told you the sky is blue, its not my opinion, the sky is blue. So when I say the 24 hour houses are overpowered they are and that is the reality.

The sky is blue or sometimes red or pink and maybe even grey. Depends on the position of the sun, ambient light conditions and cloud cover.

The GR house is not overpowered and does not need nerfing.

Reality is in the eye of the beholder; you have yours and I have mine... and how you got to your reality isn't obvious and stating that it is obvious does not make it either so or true.

DeletedUser

Sounds like your mind is made up, SlickR. Just ignore the 6 pages of posts that are trying to confuse you with facts. No point to stress over them.

DeletedUser

forem, you gave some facts but they are smothered in your opinion. Look at the first one you gave (as an example) and realize what you said: "You need to colect 8 times a day to match the coin production that you get with just 1 colection"

Great. I'll accept you have done the math. The next part is hyperbole and opinion. The fact, as you have stated, is that it is possible to get more coins from the 1 hour collections than from the 24 hour collections. The 'overpowered' part is all opinion.

SlickR says: "when I say the 24 hour houses are overpowered they are and that is the reality" again that is just opinion. When someone puts forward their own opinion as fact I will call them on it.

In all these pages there are many who say they like it just as it is. I agree. When I get to the point where I can buy GR houses I will be all over that like white on rice.

If this was proposed as an idea it would get a -1 from me

DeletedUser

How about changing the channel.
"radio announcer voice":

You are now listening to "Good Morning Forgers" on 105 Forge-FM radio. Today's topic is Are Tobacco Plantations way too powerful?

DeletedUser

How about changing the channel.
"radio announcer voice":

You are now listening to "Good Morning Forgers" on 105 Forge-FM radio. Today's topic is Are Tobacco Plantations way too powerful?

Tobacco Plantations give more supplies per square than any other non-diamond building in the game. You can clearly asses that either the Sailmaker is way too weak or that the Tobacco Plantation is overpowered and imbalanced. There is a reason that many of the top players use Tobacco Plantations. That is the reality and anyone that does not agree is wrong.

DeletedUser6965

You want facts? :confused:

1. You need to colect 8 times a day to match the coin production that you get with just 1 colection. (of course that's no problem if you don't have a life)

2. If the houses are motivated, that 8 times that arcade houses need to colect, rise to 16 times a day... and ~50 houses are not so hard to motivate in 24 hours. (+70 guild members, +70 friends in list, and let's say you are not in war with all neighbours, you can have ~10 support a day from there too) While for arcade houses, motivation is useless...

3. The overpowered combination with St. Mark's (but here is really the great building broken feature, not so much GRH) where you can colect 700-800.000 coins a day. (I have a player in my friends list with 90 GRH (sold his 90 Plantation Houses to build those, not Arcade) - the number of times that StMk give bonus, and when I motivate, 70-80 houses are always motivated, and considering is 24 hours cycle, until colection it can rise to 80-90 houses.) Actually going close to 1M coins a day...

Of course you can also ignore facts, like that player with St.Mark's - translation from english to english - "I sold 90 arcade Houses and build 74 (or something) GRH, I have the same number of population, but it ocupy a lot less space, making room for other structures, I colect once a day, don't have to bother every time to come and colect every hour like with arcade, but my income "only" rise from 250k to 350k a day after the makeover... that's seem about right..." :rolleyes:

But then again, overpowered is good, if I'm overpowered... :p

omg.. just read my post here: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/...way-too-powerful&p=56991&viewfull=1#post56991 and everything is said.

@grossEyeh: just ignore this thread here.. it seems useless to discuss with these players here :D we refuted all arguments of them, but they coming back with the same bad arguments again and again :D
Im out ;)

DeletedUser6965

Actually clockmakers are better... :p

Plantation 900/16=56.25
Clockmaker 320/6=53.33

but... the "real" space ocupied by a production building is the actual space 4x4 or 2x3 + the space ocupied by population it need AND cultural buildings that population need to be happy...

Plantation 900/365=2.46 supplies/person
Clockmaker 320/68=4.70 supplies/person

On the first criteria the advantage for plantation is small (+5%) the second criteria is a big advantage for clock's (+91%) ;)

but if u build GRH u have enough population, haha :D :D

(why we are discussing about supplies?? :D)
but by the way: Clockmaker is better, because of the loop-quests. The smaller the building is, the more often u can complete the loop-quest and get the rewards ;)

DeletedUser3157

Actually clockmakers are better... :p

Plantation 900/16=56.25
Clockmaker 320/6=53.33

but... the "real" space ocupied by a production building is the actual space 4x4 or 2x3 + the space ocupied by population it need AND cultural buildings that population need to be happy...

Plantation 900/365=2.46 supplies/person
Clockmaker 320/68=4.70 supplies/person

On the first criteria the advantage for plantation is small (+5%) the second criteria is a big advantage for clock's (+91%) ;)

How come suddenly no GB mention in these calcs? :P
My motivated tobbaco plantation with lighthouse gives me 12k supplies every morning when I wake up and every evening when I get back from work, why no-one screaming overpowered now?

Bottom line is GBs are really really damn powerful and with military ones population is hardly any sort of issue any more. And if you look for ways, u can find powerful strategies. Especially when diamonds become involved(your friend with 90 GMH for example, such strat would not be possible at all for non-heavy diamond user).

Btw Serpens66, for that u only need 2 clockmakers. Kinda funny btw, I have naber higher end player from rival guild, P/Ms me every day my worst building looking for BPs. Seeing I have no decorations, ask for polish in comment, and other buildings are only GMH, tobacco farms and my 2 clockmakers, obv he motivates my 24h cycle clocks every day lol. There's literally nothing not good to P/M in my town and even that "bait" is a trap haha.

DeletedUser6965

Kinda funny btw, I have naber higher end player from rival guild, P/Ms me every day my worst building looking for BPs. Seeing I have no decorations, ask for polish in comment, and other buildings are only GMH, tobacco farms and my 2 clockmakers, obv he motivates my 24h cycle clocks every day lol. There's literally nothing not good to P/M in my town and even that "bait" is a trap haha.

yes I remembered ur post about that some time ago ;) :D

Btw Serpens66, for that u only need 2 clockmakers.
You need 2 to complete the quest ones. But every day I complete this quest of course 10-15times ;) (dunno how many clockmakers I exactly have :D)

your friend with 90 GMH for example, such strat would not be possible at all for non-heavy diamond user).
Do I understand this correctly? u say no non-diamond-user is able to build a st marks+ 90Gambrel Roof Houses??? Or what means "GMH" ? Of course he can :D I did so, Gambrel Houses are not a diamond feature ^^