• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #24 2017-10-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser110179

Confirmation from Beta that the Winter buildings comprise one Set!
Look set to be a goodie ... last years event really got my cities off to a good start.
Only started playing FoE in December ... but got 9 and 5 RH's on two worlds during the Winter event .

DeletedUser111351

Maybe 1 bp of choice should go to a new entrant to the comp ... or somebody with the least number of posts (2 or more) .
With least number of posts, I still say encouraging/rewarding lack of posts is the opposite of purpose here. So everyone just comes along and makes their exact 2 posts every week and walks away with a guaranteed win (and still maybe wins the big prize to boot). Yes some will still post more, but I'm not seeing where this is a good idea.

DeletedUser110179

With least number of posts, I still say encouraging/rewarding lack of posts is the opposite of purpose here. So everyone just comes along and makes their exact 2 posts every week and walks away with a guaranteed win (and still maybe wins the big prize to boot). Yes some will still post more, but I'm not seeing where this is a good idea.
I don't really post to win the prize ... I do it because it's fun and I enjoy being here .

You really want to infect people with excitement and wanting to have fun here rather than focusing on winning a prize.
FoE itself is like no sport event or even most games where there is a clear winner ... it's really
a framework for having fun and creating your own sense of winning or progress.

Most people aren't familiar with forums and posting messages ... unlike texting which is more immediate and direct.
So, celebrating the loser might actually work better than having a big prize for the winner (it's more informal and engenders fun) .

I recently re-modeled our forum description in a more funky demeanor .

Forum Description.jpg

DeletedUser111351

I don't really post to win the prize ... I do it because it's fun and I enjoy being here .

You really want to infect people with excitement and wanting to have fun here rather than focusing on winning a prize.
FoE itself is like no sport event or even most games where there is a clear winner ... it's really
a framework for having fun and creating your own sense of winning or progress.

Most people aren't familiar with forums and posting messages ... unlike texting which is more immediate and direct.
So, celebrating the loser might actually work better than having a big prize for the winner (it's more informal and engenders fun) .

I recently re-modeled our forum description in a more funky demeanor .

View attachment 13547
I can't say that I'm "posting to win" either. It was probably half-way through the 2nd weekly thread (of the weeklies I've participated in) before I even realized that the thread was a contest. Although if there was a way to guarantee winning (i.e. only post 2 times) I might very well adopt posting twice here and then carry out my conversations in a different thread.

Have you never heard of things like facebook, twitter, instagram, and on and on? Those are all simply forums and posting messages. Yes, most of them have slightly different ways of presenting the posts. Yes, most of them have more in-your-face alerts of new content then this does. Yes, they often have a few different bells and whistles to correlate data in specialized ways. However, in essence they are identical.

Prizes can be given to whomever they want. The current prize system (if anyone cares about the prize) engenders posting more often. Assuming that the presence of prizes causes a change in behavior directly correlating to the means of winning said prize, then changing the prize system to engender posting less often is counterproductive. If one wants to spread prizes around more, give it to noobs, or anything else, that's all fine and good. But there are plenty of better ways to accomplish that goal then making the reward tied to interacting as little as possible.

DeletedUser110179

But there are plenty of better ways to accomplish that goal then making the reward tied to interacting as little as possible.
Quite frankly, the prizes are wasted on the regulars like you and I ... because we've pretty much made ourselves at home here.

Inno really want to interest new members to the forum (even veterans of FoE) ... although I try to accommodate new members and rarely visiting veterans (regardless of the competition) .
It's unlikely that a new member that posts once in the competition thread would actually win ... and maybe they just wouldn't come back.
If they win a "consolation/participation or wooden spoon" type prize (eg 1 bp) they might be excited to come back for more (although they couldn't win it twice).

I would be excited about winning 1 bp since my Hagia has a gap and it doesn't really need a full set of bps or even 7.
Getting the missing bp can often be more difficult than getting 10 singles ... although I would never try to make only 2 posts just to win the wooden spoon.

Maybe the wooden spoon could be the same time ... but a larger window of opportunity.

Hagia Level 40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! I still can't set up my army (attack or defence) on any world.
I'm missing out on GE, PvP and can't even set up my latest CE troops (now how did I come to have THEM while still in the middle ages?) in my defence.
Arrrgh! And the comment on the beta forum. It has been "fixed already." Hmmph. <steam from ears>

DeletedUser111351

Damn! I still can't set up my army (attack or defence) on any world.
I'm missing out on GE, PvP and can't even set up my latest CE troops (now how did I come to have THEM while still in the middle ages?) in my defence.
Arrrgh! And the comment on the beta forum. It has been "fixed already." Hmmph. <steam from ears>
Well at least you won't have the trouble of being too far along in your GE when Halloween starts later this week and asks you to win so many GE in a row.

Oh! I had forgotten that. I don't think there is an 'in a row' but there is 'solve 12 encounters' if I recall. Or am I confused with the Gandhi Quest. (Playing beta can really muddle up things.) I will have to go and check.

Quest 20:

• Jack O'Lantern: "Gain control over a province OR solve 12 enconters in the Guild Expedition" and "Spend 10 Forge Points"
    Reward: Random
So, it is an optional, so long as there is a province ready to grab.

DeletedUser111351

@Prinza the Hunter was just trying to give you a silver lining.

@Bridgeman55 I understood the "give every first visit a prize" thought. That one encourages posts that don't exist. I would also understand things like "post of the week with the most likes." There could also be a log of who participated every week and each week the person who has participated the most consecutive weeks without winning gets a prize. There are infinite possibilities for what to give prizes for. I was only expressing doubt on any situation where one basically has a prize taken away if they post more (which is the scenario with the least posts). None of these have anything to do with the theme of wooden spoon prizes, but they are alternate prize scenarios.

@Whomever so that Christmas set, how many buildings needed of those? Like the palace requires 5 total buildings for the palace itself to fully produce. There are a lot of buildings in that set. The best/biggest building of the bunch, how many total buildings are needed in its cluster to fully produce?

DeletedUser110179

As an adjunct, I'ld be interested to know how multiple combinations can be built up.

Four individual Indian Palace sets requires 20 pieces but a 4 set combo can be built up requiring only 13 pieces (a 7 piece saving in floorspace and acquisition). Multiple Cider Mills didn't have any similar advantage although it is nice to prep five similar buildings rather than one.

So, it would be interesting to know if there are any economies of scale in getting more than one set (esp in terms of fps) .

2iu2amg.jpg

DeletedUser111351

@Bridgeman55 That's interesting on an academic level (and I always like a good, "how can we make this work" puzzle). Given the random nature of which pieces get acquired though I find it's more of a design to fit the pieces at hand then come up with a plan and collect to design.

I do like that particular design, and made several of my own a while back using the same number of pieces. Mine couldn't be made into an elegant square though, as my singular piece required a road.

I will add in the caveat on your particular layout that it actually takes up more space (due to extra road requirements) then the much simpler layout that can be made using a 2nd copy of that singleton of yours. Just put all the palace sets end-to-end and you're done.

Also, if you're just looking to maximize the "palace" and not worried about the other units being maximized, you can actually remove 2 of the pieces from your current set and still make it work.

Even if you do want to maximize all the pieces you could still remove 1 piece and make it work.

DeletedUser108047

I managed to get 3 palace sets down with one western tower between them. took a lot of fiddling with the foemanager city planner to make it work... but 15 fps a day (and all the rest) was worth the effort)

DeletedUser108047

nice - I had to offset them in a narrower space... got there in the end :)

DeletedUser111351

This portion of Quest 20 in the Halloween event auto-completes if you've already completed all 64 GE encounters; did it on Beta!
Interesting change this time around. Not useful for those of us in a guild that doesn't open up all 4 levels and we've completed all they will open, but useful for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.