• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #6 2017-06-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser9168

am i allowed to post on here to enter the competition when i don't have the slightest clue what you are all talking about?

DeletedUser9168

Anyone else notice we had a visit from the big boss earlier this evening? Bryfft replied to a question on the forum 4 years after it was asked!
The Inno definition of "coming soon" springs to mind!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

That sounds like a general trait of companies operating an MMOG, at least it is with each one I've played in the last 15 years.

I also have no idea who that is.

am i allowed to post on here to enter the competition when i don't have the slightest clue what you are all talking about?
You are only allowed to post if you use a capital at the beginning of a sentence.
Galactic grammar rule 4.3.7.1(a){amended} states:
An individual (or part thereof) or combination of individuals working in concordance must, if they desire to post (or cause to be posted) on a daft thread, are only allowed to do so if they use a capital at the beginning of every sentence.​

DeletedUser103370

איך האַס Google זעץ

punishment punishment punishment!!!

And the smiley is not English either, so I need to be punished too!!

A dour lot, the Chinese.
I translated "Isn't this fun" into simplified Chinese (using Google translate). That gave me:
不是很有趣​
However, when I asked it to translate that back into English, I was told it meant:
Not very interesting​

So, that's how the Chinese view having fun, eh? It's the same thing as boring. Hmmm.

DeletedUser108047

I think that might be google messing with your head rather than the Chinese....

DeletedUser110179

@z78sabjan It's considered very likely, virtually certain, that the universe has a set mass and energy. It's considered likely, but far from certain, that the universe will continue to expand.
Does it matter?

Sometimes it's better to plead total ignorance as a starting point in moving forward. Apparently, all life on Earth will succumb to scorching heat from the Sun in 5 billion years time. I guess it's bandied around to help fund and fuel the quest for exploration of outer space. People live and die in the shadow of flood plains and deadly volcanoes ... which both hinder and help the development of life.

Even if the entire universe comes to an end, we still have the luxury of believing that "life" may be able to migrate to a new universe (in theory). It's all pie in the sky depending on whether it's important for you to visualize some sort of continuation of life into the distant (or even immediate) future.

So I guess some people live in the moment while others ponder the realms and levels of immortality. ♫

DeletedUser110195

Even with current technology, even if we never develop faster means of space travel, we could make the journey to Alpha Centauri and start over and in far less time than we have before our sun makes the transition to red supergiant.

DeletedUser110179

Moreover there's nothing wrong with that, that's the beauty of science, it doesn't have to explain itself again and again like religions and such.
Well, in a way, Science is itself a religion that you have to buy in to.

Religion (in terms of mass acceptance and support) has been pivotal in the development of civilization. Science is built on the building blocks of truth, half-truth and supposition ... expanded into just about any theory you wish to postulate. I could imagine that it was much the same in the early days of nature-based gods, then Greek human-like gods and finally, the plethora of single-god based belief systems that we have today.

Like empire, everyone's all enthusiastic in the beginning (even the vanquished enemy who benefits more from joining empire) ... until the whole system is exhausted and nobody really wants it around anymore. I guess FoE has the same trajectory.

Religion has always been there to support our ignorance until technology caught up with reality. ♫

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

No, just no. Science is nothing like religion. Science does not make assumptions and pass them on as fact, science develops hypotheses based on observations and does tests to determine whether observations match fact. If it does, a new theory is born, if not it gets scrapped and we move on to the next hypothesis.

Religion is about belief WITHOUT evidence, otherwise known as faith. The two could not be more different if they tried.

DeletedUser103370

Religion (in terms of mass acceptance and support) has been pivotal in the development of civilization. Science is built on the building blocks of truth, half-truth and supposition ... expanded into just about any theory you wish to postulate. I could imagine that it was much the same in the early days of nature-based gods, then Greek human-like gods and finally, the plethora of single-god based belief systems that we have today.

Like empire, everyone's all enthusiastic in the beginning (even the vanquished enemy who benefits more from joining empire) ... until the whole system is exhausted and nobody really wants it around anymore.

Religion has always been there to support our ignorance until technology catches up with reality. ♫

That's a hard and exhaustive debate in itself, religions are a natural effect of our "psychic evolution", however science cannot be more far from it. Science can be tested and proved in your backyard, you can check the math and test every aspect. It has absolutely nothing to do with belief.

Of course you can say that most of these things what you hear of, you and I don't have the tools to check, so in that sense you have to buy into it. But in science the tests, the results, the methods and everything else is published, thus you have all what you need to see it for yourself. And it's only accepted as a fact, if in fact it can be reproduced and confirmed.

Religions on the other hand has nothing to do with facts, they are built upon beliefs, and you don't have anything other than to say you agree or not.

Don't get me wrong, although I'm not religious, never was and most likely never will be, I consider religions as a natural consequence, I only have problem with those trying to take away the freedom of thinking.

DeletedUser110195

Of course you can say that most of these things what you hear of, you and I don't have the tools to check, so in that sense you have to buy into it.
Yes, but even though someone with no scientific expertise has neither the education nor tools to properly evaluate any given hypothesis the scientific community is working on, there is nothing holding anyone back(given the money to do so) from getting the education to join the scientific community and confirm first hand what already established scientists have found.

To be a leader of the religious requires only one thing: A propensity for telling bald-faced lies with a straight face.

DeletedUser103370

:) I tried to be more polite, I know the subject is sensitive, after all this debate is just as old as science itself. Religions are an even older concept, many still believe, and I'm not out here to hurt any feelings, it really is just an opinion.
It's so deeply embedded in us, it's even in our language, as an atheist I use "oh my god" and stuff like that too :))
Nevertheless, that doesn't make it real. But you know what's the most beautiful thing in science, it's actually doesn't deny the existence of god, simply because it couldn't disprove it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.