• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #13 2017-07-31

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kit idea seems okay, I like having the buildings that give goods at different levels, make sure I still have a steady, albeit, small instream of HMA/LMA goods
My HMA town now has 4 palaces, 4 palace towers, 5 palace decorations, 2 elephant fountains with 8 various bits, a The (sic) Lords Manor, 2 Tribal Squares (that are circular, within a rectangular structure but I guess the translator was cheap), a Royal Garden set and a few other bits. That's over 30 buildings needing upgrades if I move to LMA.

Without adequate upgrade capability, I have huge incentive to just sit where I am, not spending money, and play about as I am, gradually accumulating more and more special buildings until the very idea of advancing in age would be stupid. (Already, half my city is either special buildings or GBs .. and I've only been playing a few months!)

Despite sitting at the top of HMA since before the Summer Event and doing GE, quests and events, I have not a single upgrade/reno kit in my inventory. Not one.

DeletedUser110195

Why on Earth would you bother upgrading the palace or elephant fountain sets one age at a time? Their only purpose is generating FP, and they generate the same amount regardless of age. Sure, you may want to upgrade them down the road, way down the road, but save up reno kits for that and jump those buildings up 4 or 5 ages at a time. Save one up kits for things like champ retreats and absolutely never use reno kits to move a building up ONE age.

Why on Earth would you bother upgrading the palace or elephant fountain sets one age at a time? Their only purpose is generating FP...
and medals, and happiness & bonus %age. The coins and supply are obviously worthwhile, too.

Obviously, don't waste a reno kit. I have had one of those across four months over a few months, averaging maybe one a city/year. I think may two upgrade kits in a city/year. It is simply too few to make me comfortable about advancing.

DeletedUser110195

Everything else beside the FP is just icing on the cake. You'll get more reno kits in time, they seem slow coming at first, but with a guild that opens level 4 and even 3, you'll see reno kits in chests, and if you get ToR like you should, relics can give them too, and one ups, and a whole host of other useful things. Some useless garbage though, like the farkface of the ancient, or the gate of the lol god.

DeletedUser110914

I got several kits, from the summer event and an event before that. I think I used on to up a goods building, now receiving daily HMA, LMA and Industrial goods. Makes me wish I had a Colonial too, but hey, you can't have everything. Anyway it's not a lot, one good every day, but still, a nice addition and over time they can become useful

DeletedUser110195

I would guess you're talking about a tribal square, or the kiosk. Their value prior to modern era is debatable, but after modern their value spikes upward, at contemporary it goes up again and at oceanic future, their value is in high orbit. Since things can't be plundered if they're motivated, no one can ever plunder your goods, they only take one lane road, require nothing, give you population and coin and produce current era goods, not unrefined. Fields of these is worth quite a lot. Get 40 of them...you're producing 200 goods daily that can't be plundered and cost nothing along with a hefty sum of coins, leaving you free to spend population on military and supplies buildings.

DeletedUser110195

2 of each age, ranged/light all the way up to colonial, ranged/heavy at industrial, at progressive well....that becomes a bit more complicated, but I go ranged/artillery for attacking neighbors, and of course, get rogues. Lots of rogues. 4 rogues, 4 regular units. Decent killing power at the start and 4 attack sponges.

I stored up a few rogues before playing with them at all.
Not good.
They were all dead in a couple of hours.
That might be me, I realise, but clearly I don't know how to play with them.
My champions don't tend to have a long life, either.
My heavy troops, on the other hand: they have great fun and now that I'm upgrading from Armoured Infantry to Heavy Infantry I am stomping over most things. Yep, for me it is heavy troops backed up by whatever mixture works (including my lovely Iron Age archers).

DeletedUser110195

Special units get targeted first, the problem for fighting in the app is you don't get the range-finding of browser fighting, to be able to pinpoint exactly where to stand your rogues so only the same number of enemy units as there are rogues are in range to attack.

You said something about planning to at least split your time between browser and app, I would do ALL my fighting in the browser version.

I was not impressed THAT much by the browser fight window. The one thing I did like is being able to tell what kind of terrain a hex is: on the app, you just have to guess from the pictures - which is not at all a sure guide!

Probably I still miss something, because I am running the browser version on my iPad still, with the touch-screen presses oresumably being converted to left-clicks. I can't right-click; as far as I am concerned that is the biggest limitation of touch-screen, which could be addressed by simple UI design but isn't, not in FoE nor in any other app I am aware of that I haven't written myself (I am even thinking of patenting my concept design, despite its obviousness to me).

I may try the browser battles again, to see what I can get out of them.

Historic Event quest spoiler
In the meantime, on my 2nd world, my Armoured Infantry have been stomping through Tarmelman, getting ready to hand the province over to Marilyn in a day or two.

DeletedUser110195

What you need to do is play the browser version on a computer. Just hovering the pointer over an enemy unit shows how far it can move, by dark colored hexes and how far it can attack, by lighter colored hexes(occasionally you have to tell the difference between your unit whose turn it is and the thing you're checking). By this you can tell how far you can move up without getting hit, then they move, then you move your rogues up, then you attack what's in the back so you have their units in your grip, and when they attack, your rogues can attack and wipe out more of them.

What you need to do is play the browser version on a computer. Just hovering the pointer over an enemy unit shows how far it can move, by dark colored hexes and how far it can attack, by lighter colored hexes(occasionally you have to tell the difference between your unit whose turn it is and the thing you're checking). By this you can tell how far you can move up without getting hit, then they move, then you move your rogues up, then you attack what's in the back so you have their units in your grip, and when they attack, your rogues can attack and wipe out more of them.
Aha! You have a cunning plan. What could go wrong! ;)

DeletedUser110195

Not much, it usually works out fine, except when you kill something in front and open up a hex that something in back previously couldn't get to, that now has range to hit something and just messes everything up.

LadyHecate

Major-General
Why is CE easiest?
Once you get a decent level of Attack boost, 1 AAV + 7 Rogues will kill 95% of GE encounters (including the two wave ones), PvP DAs of other players in your 'hood, and GvG encounters. The remaining 5% can be beaten by 8 Attack Helicopters.
The only exception to this is on the campaign map, due to the enemy DA AI, where it's best to go with a combination of 8 Assault Tanks and Champions; which will also get you through the TE map.
This is proven by the latest poll on FoE Wiki where c. 40% of players preferred fighting in CE than any of the other 14 Ages; the next closest was Colonial at c. 10%.

Last edited:

LadyHecate

Major-General
I'll reach PE soon. I've heard that decent for fighters.
Battle map changes scale and you need to stop using Rogues in your city's DA as the other troops now outrun them! Two of the best GBs with Traz and Chateau and the first major requirement to reorganise your city's layout with the two-lane street requirement.

vikingraider

Emperor
I thought by this level no one is using rogues in DA's? Not players who have read up anyway? Yeah, the city will need some major reorganising.

Status
Not open for further replies.