• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Best Town Forge of Empires

DeletedUser

Well, as in real life, these are the trade-offs that happen between beauty vs efficiency / form vs function. :)

DeletedUser

It might be very efficient, but it looks ugly as hell. I dont know why people want to make their cities so much efficient that they will end up ruining the game. When I registered in this game, I saw a very nice-looking realistic roman-type city on the advertising page, and that convinced me to register in this game. But when I see the cities built by the top players, I see ugly unrealistic cities with like 8 or 10 churches one next to the other. I mean what is that about? thats so unrealistic and not even fun. I know its more efficient that way, but its unrealistic and ugly. The makers of this game should make it mandatory to make more roads, connecting blocks (to avoid crowded ways), they should also make it impossible to build another church (for example) within a determined range, they should make the player build more decorations and culture buildings, etc etc. This way, the cities would look more realistic and less ugly and boring.

This is just my opinion.

If you think his city is ugly and make you so upset, please don't take a look at my town xD

As for your suggestions;
implementing those rules will make the game nearly unplayable for many many players. You'd be forced to be inefficient.
It's still a game, not a sim. Have you noticed that some units can take balista and catapult shots to the face and still carry on walking?
It's nice for a game to be realistic, as long as it doesn't interere with a player's playing style too much.

- L

DeletedUser

If you think his city is ugly and make you so upset, please don't take a look at my town xD

As for your suggestions;
implementing those rules will make the game nearly unplayable for many many players. You'd be forced to be inefficient.
It's still a game, not a sim. Have you noticed that some units can take balista and catapult shots to the face and still carry on walking?
It's nice for a game to be realistic, as long as it doesn't interere with a player's playing style too much.

- L

Lol im not upset, its a game and to each their own. But I have decided to have fun my own way and im going to make my city more "good-looking" (road blocks, parks, monuments, culture buildings, etc), like the one I saw in the advertising page with the register option. I will try to copy something like that even if it means sacrificing efficiency and the top places in my server.

Ill see how well it goes and post a pic here in the near future. :)

DeletedUser

Looking forward to see it, it'd probably be impressive and unique. :)

DeletedUser

@ Fushar: Now I completely agree with you! When I've got enough gold and supplies I'm going to start 'renovating' my city and rebuild its once great beauty, LoL

I joined the game with the same intentions like you mentioned. If I'm only in the top 400 players, so what. My city is unique and that's even drawn attention from guild members and neighbours. That's enough credit for me.

Regards,
Bloodwyn

P.S.: Gotta head back to the 'non mod count to 50 thread' :p

DeletedUser7403

It might be very efficient, but it looks ugly as hell. I dont know why people want to make their cities so much efficient that they will end up ruining the game. When I registered in this game, I saw a very nice-looking realistic roman-type city on the advertising page, and that convinced me to register in this game. But when I see the cities built by the top players, I see ugly unrealistic cities with like 8 or 10 churches one next to the other. I mean what is that about? thats so unrealistic and not even fun. I know its more efficient that way, but its unrealistic and ugly. The makers of this game should make it mandatory to make more roads, connecting blocks (to avoid crowded ways), they should also make it impossible to build another church (for example) within a determined range, they should make the player build more decorations and culture buildings, etc etc. This way, the cities would look more realistic and less ugly and boring.

This is just my opinion.

Ugly to whom? To you? That doesn`t make it ugly for everybody does it? Unless your opinion is some sort of standard for everybody to follow. Which luckily for the rest of us it doesnt happen.
I myself like how its done. Its simple and efficient and the order in itself has a certain beauty. I dont like Lodroth`s one. I find it a complete mess. But I wouldnt go as far as to call it "ugly". For once we are not a bunch of robots thinking alike and second, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Basically whatever floats your boat...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7455

Speaking of charm and looks. Do you know why the Roman Roads were built straight.

So that persons with immigration backgrounds couldn't build corner shops.

DeletedUser

My town at the moment :) Tomorrow I will replace the monuments with 2 houses and the balista camp, and down south i will add a public bath as soon as i get an expansion, which is soon.
I realize it could be much more efficient but I'm satisfied considering the avalability of building sizes i have now (would love to have tailor 3x4 shape, but I'm still to stingy to pay diamonds), I'm happy with my effieciency. Besides, it adds another fun aspect to the game, which building in blocks doesnt - getting the most efficient configuration of buildings avalable. Yesterday, I spent an hour designing this and it was FUN!

DeletedUser4401

Aaahhhh Help !

I woke up this morning and looked out of my Townhouse window, only to find that the Forest
was in need of some serious felling !

Or am i still asleep and in some sort of enchanted forest ?

forest.jpg

The Farmers and Town folk have taken their scythe's & Sickle's and have cleared a path.

I wonder what i will find in the morrow !

MAL1701 :p

DeletedUser653

My vote for best town goes to the forest people - great looking village

DeletedUser

My town at the moment :) Tomorrow I will replace the monuments with 2 houses and the balista camp, and down south i will add a public bath as soon as i get an expansion, which is soon.
I realize it could be much more efficient but I'm satisfied considering the avalability of building sizes i have now (would love to have tailor 3x4 shape, but I'm still to stingy to pay diamonds), I'm happy with my effieciency. Besides, it adds another fun aspect to the game, which building in blocks doesnt - getting the most efficient configuration of buildings avalable. Yesterday, I spent an hour designing this and it was FUN!
Aye, it takes a while to get something efficient, and it may not look as pretty as many conformist 'block towns', but at least you'll have a lot of fun thinking of designs! Besides, it'll look unique ;)
Not bashing on block towns, just noting that everyone can have their own style and get as much fun out of it. ;)

I too have to give MAL a vote for his jungle though xD

- L

DeletedUser653

Lodroth, I took your advice and had a relook at the design and I think you were right to criticize my efficiency.

Hint, Thanks for pushing me, took a couple of hours but pleased I managed to remove 10 decorations, just a pity I still will have 2!

Slygoxx - that tool is fab, many thanks for saving me many hours of thought. Link to his tool for blank village is here http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php

I have relaid out the village to take on board a few of your points and at the same time got rid of any older buildings and planned in space for new buildings. I am way over on happiness, but I calculated I will need 28k so have not deleted places, but intention will be to sell 2 off and replace with a circus to create more space for military buildings and houses. I think it does prove that the straight line method is just as good as your exact fit process but must be 10 times easier to expand and replace buildings in? My biggest dislikes are that I have military buildings behind the town hall and have to keep a special eye on these as its more difficult to see them and it takes an extra 20 seconds to collect as my production buildings are all over the place, i will try swopping thes over with other 3x3 buildings.

Stats 1072 squares, 141 roads = 13.15%, quite efficient, but i did use 2 decorations knocking it up to 13.34%.

Contentiously, I do have spaces, one for a circus and a few for dragons/grenadier/field guns and currently have free pop of 1119. Intention is to take on board one more circus and then delete 2 of the Palaces to free up more space. The good news is that the remaining military buildings are all 4x3 or 3x4. If you view my game in Avarhall (VFRMark) you will find 8 decorations in a corner of the empty space, these were what I managed to remove and I am keeping them till I need the space as a reminder that I need to work a little harder and perhaps listen a little more!

forgestats link: http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=eedfc49096b08f39f972e7903a593130 (EDIT, correct link now added)

and actual view of village (I had to join 3 screen shots to get it in even with a 22" monitor!):-
VFRMark Village Arvahall 22nd Oct 2012.jpg

DeletedUser

Heres my little town, good model for the Iron Age. The layout is unfinished as im awaiting a land expansion to finish my housing project to consist of 7 cottage 12 tile house. the rest of the layout gives me substantial production and 120% productivity with a good polish currently, which is not a problem when your in an awesome guild like Fwopers. the town layout as is leaves me with 2 open 3x3 spaces and once housing is complete 3 3x3 spaces will be avaialble.

Forge of Empires.jpg

sorry about the size, first screenshot ha

DeletedUser7832

Elysium, imperial city of Elysia

Still under construction as you can see around the sides. When the PvP tournament is over,
I will remove my Bronze Age buildings to clear up some space for further development.

Role-playing city, I'll be posting a next version after the PvP tournaments.

~OshaoXin~

ElysiumBETA.jpg

DeletedUser

That's a nice little teaser to your town.
Looking forward to see more! Looks pretty.

- L

DeletedUser7832

That's a nice little spoiler.
Looking forward to see more! Looks pretty.

- L

Sorry for that, I never understood the purpose and why there are
spoilers in forums. And thanks for the link to this topic!

~OshaoXin~

DeletedUser556

It is crystal clear that this is close to most efficient:
Townhall in corner
1 horizontal street
several vertical streets

Everybody follows these rules.
But come'on do you really like that city, doesn't exist.

It's so unrealistic to put the town hall in a corner...

90%-95% of the players have the townhall in the corner, maybe even outside of the town... Almost all the cities look identical.
Similar to Wallachian's town.
Why not make a plaza or a marker or a suare somewhere. Every medieval / roman city had one...

If you don't care about efficiency and combine buildings from all ages, something wonderful could arise ;)

EDIT: Have you ever thought about building a concentric city:
Town Hall in center and 2 rings -> this could turn out to quite efficient. Military and Large buildings on the outside and residential and cultural buildings on the inside. Put your imagination to work, you will be surprised what can come out :)

DeletedUser653

Its depends on why you build a town?

To look good or be a means to an end. Personally if it looks terrible but got me an extra musket building I would go for it!

DeletedUser556

The never-ending dilemma :) looks vs efficiency
I would say build it as efficient as it needs to be. For someone who doesn't send hours a day farming medals it not necessary to have the max military buildings he can have. He could go for less. And have a city worth looking at.

Anyway you spend most of the time looking at your city, if it's not nice or the way you want it to be, then what's the point.

Probably there are different reasons for playing this game. I only see the "warriors" on the forums and in-game.

Where are all the others :))