• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Best Town Forge of Empires

DeletedUser653

Why? :)

To win medals and make the city even bigger and uglier? :p

YES! As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I can find beauty in the efficiency of the design. Its a nice shape, its now 81 expansion areas and a perfect 9x9 shape.

My town updated:
VFRMark Village Arvahall 12th Nov 2012.jpg

Still struggling in the bottom left corner as I needed houses for coin collection and area is more suited to 3x3 or 4x3 etc. couple of spaces still, might put another house or 2 in but will need lots of spaces for field guns soon so that will tidy area up. Eliminating that corner is at 13.2% which is really good.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

its now 81 expansion areas and a perfect 9x9 shape.

I make it 9x8 = 72 expansions (which should be all the research expansions, all the world map expansions, all the diamond expansions and the victory expansion up to 2000 medals)

DeletedUser653

I make it 9x8 = 72 expansions (which should be all the research expansions, all the world map expansions, all the diamond expansions and the victory expansion up to 2000 medals)

Correct, nice calculation. My next expansion is 3000 medals and @ an average of 200 a week (1st one week, 2nd the next) its about 7 weeks away and I suspect the game will slow up so much I will stop playing that world after the next medal. The point being that 4000 medals will take 20 weeks!!

DEV's please take notice that another wall fast approaches (no tree, no map and 20 weeks of PVP'ing for just 1 expansion. For the average player winning just 50 points its a massive year long wait for the next expansion!)

A big plus for city designs with straight roads is that collecting is really quick and easy. No lost house lucking behind another building.

Tein0 you need to group those houses in lines 2 abreast so that the road only touches one side of the house - check my houses out or most players houses where they use the straight line approach to roads. Lots of spare space in your village that can be liberated.

DeletedUser

Hi guys first post hehe,

I joined to add a pic of my city too, but now that lots of other towns have been revealed I see many use the same basic layout of one avenue and perpendicular streets . The quirky road model seems intriguing too for later, when you can't have expansions so often ... just entered the LMA .

final.2.jpg

There's some playing going on at the western corner for visual appeal, I'll reorganise that with the next 2 exp. coming in . The two Stone Circles are there to tempt fellow guilders away from polishing lamp posts lol .

Also I have this impression , sounds a little crazy but following the architectural style of tank-houses and normal ones, it seems the graphics for the appartment house and the estate house have been mistakenly swapped . The estate one looks suspiciously like the upgrade to a town house and the appartment to a brown stone .

Layout can be found here: http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=8171b06900b4846c28a98e97d5fb128c

DeletedUser7719

If he knew what he was doing, he would of made some goods to collect :p

DeletedUser3157

Nah it's just a add/promo video. Not really anything he builds there or does with the town makes sense from game-play perspective, it's just meant to look good :P

DeletedUser

- Efficient (space)
- Convenient (time)
- Aesthetic (the look)
- Random (???)

Those are the categories in which i would group different layouts of the cities. It's a bit easier to compare cities that fall in the same category.
There is no "The best city" in my opinion. The layout is in many cases determined by the purpose of the player.

A player who has little time to spend on the game would make collecting goods/resources/coins a priority. Hence, all 8hr houses are on a row and grouped together (to gather coins without having to click and drag the map). Same for cultural buildings which are best suited on the city borders (sometimes out of the screen) because you needn't do anything with them on daily basis. If a few squares of space here and there that could have been filled up with a house or alchemy are wasted....oh never mind. It's time that counts.

But an active player who is in front of the computer most of the time or very often, would consider space the most precious. Nevermind if a couple of houses are used to fill a corner on the border, far from the group of house. a few seconds to drag the map and collect those coins are not a big deal. The more the better and this is all about space efficiency.

Just like some players don't give a damn about ranking, point size or getting through map and research quickly. They are in this game because they like to sim city. Build some nice roads and decorate the sides with bushes and statues. A city then needs a plaza with fountain and why not a main avenue to the city hall with buildings in perfect symmetry. Pretty city is the name of their game:)

And some other city layout are there for random purposes. Like having every residential building from all ages or having 2 of each decoration. Some people bring int he game their collection spirit :)

Surge

Brigadier-General
Nah it's just a add/promo video. Not really anything he builds there or does with the town makes sense from game-play perspective, it's just meant to look good :P

Hmm... I wonder who made that video... wait.. hold on. I see the channel name! Why, it's InnoGames!

DeletedUser1094

Hmm... I wonder who made that video... wait.. hold on. I see the channel name! Why, it's InnoGames!
LOL... and the guy commenting the video, is really knowing, what he's talking about. ;)

DeletedUser

Beautiful design Lorodoth (for me there is beauty in functionality and efficiency)!
Nothing can beat your use of space.
However, your approach requires a lot of time (revisiting city planing with every expansion and tech research). Since I dont have a lot of time to play, I have tried to balance the two ways - maximum efficiency in terms of space (brought to perfection by you, so I stole a lot of your ideas ;-) ) vs. block building for easier collection and expansion (standard approach used by most players).
This is what I came up with:

http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?lang=en&m=7dad34e5207e4cbe2d3c8ea910c362d1

I know, so many guys out of work, but soon I will replace my obsolete military and goods buildings that should deal with that unemployment.
What do you guys think?

DeletedUser3157

As my respone to latest GP additions and the supposed heavy pay2win features that come with it, I have decided to rearrange my town.
This town is called "pray2win" and anyone is free to drop by and pray for some victory(or BP) while polishing a church.

HMAEN4.jpg

DeletedUser7719

Does this mean your not playing anymore (or at least on that world)?

DeletedUser

Beautiful design Lorodoth (for me there is beauty in functionality and efficiency)!
Nothing can beat your use of space.
However, your approach requires a lot of time (revisiting city planing with every expansion and tech research). Since I dont have a lot of time to play, I have tried to balance the two ways - maximum efficiency in terms of space (brought to perfection by you, so I stole a lot of your ideas ;-) ) vs. block building for easier collection and expansion (standard approach used by most players).
This is what I came up with:

http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?lang=en&m=7dad34e5207e4cbe2d3c8ea910c362d1

I know, so many guys out of work, but soon I will replace my obsolete military and goods buildings that should deal with that unemployment.
What do you guys think?

Thanks for the compliment. :D
I see you did put some of my designs to good use. Looks good. :)

Working on something new, but it'll take a while before I'm done with it, as I have a lot less free time anymore. :(

@ hint: lol

- L

DeletedUser4990

Visit andrelr2001 at Dinegu server. Nice looking town. Comments are appreciated.