• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Best Town Forge of Empires

DeletedUser3157

HRC, Lodroth's town is deceptively efficent. He posted his sim up few weeks ago in another thread, and I got ready to bash him, but more I looked into that nasty mess of turns and weirdness, more I realized it was actually pretty damn space efficent. Do the roads/decos percentage calcs and see yourself. It's ugly as hell and sure looks bad, but math says otherwise.

To MrDuke: Wallachian just has a bigger and more advanced town.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser653

Space is the major constant, so always go for the most efficient design. Points come from buildings and from fighting so you could have a poor village design but be very active in fighting and hence have high points.
my village is in Avarhall and has 156,408 points and is in the last Colonial Age.

the points will come, do not worry about them and get on will maximizing the use of space, I agree its not the restricting factor early but very quickly will become the biggest constraint.

Hint, I can see some brilliant bits in Lodroths town especially the town hall and the use of a single road (many thanks I will use that idea) but every turn is losing efficiency and I suspect the numbers do not stack up. But as you suggest I will take a long look tonight and do the maths. Percentage of roads/total space, roads/building space used ??

Lodroth, thanks for publishing and raising the debate.

DeletedUser

He has 4 more expansions and Colonial Age buildings, where as I am still in the LMA. :)

I have less roads because I have less expansions and probably because I utilized my town space a bit more.
As for productivity, Wallachian merely make 1k more coins/hour and even 1.5k less supplies/hour. So I think my town is a bit more productive in that area.

Points are awarded by building value of which Surge has an excellent guide: Click me

@ HRC: Ending a lane with a decoration is not good, in my opinion, because it's just an empty space you're filling up that could be utilized by moving around some stuff.
I don't understand why you think my town isn't good, merely because some of my houses touch roads on more than one side (which is only at intersections and thus unavoidable).
Unlike in your town, 90% of my 3x3+ buildings are only touched by 1 road, thus optimizing space. :D

@ hint: Have you read my journal entries? Chaos is what thrives my town xD

- L

DeletedUser

That's pretty organized, but imo not optimally efficient, because nearly all of your big buildings have 3 tiles of road on them and your lanes end with a decoration.

This is mine.
http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=ec6e233fb5fc75bd3bd2949f0f04b582

- L

And instead you have roads on 3 sides of some of your houses? To clench my curiosity I numbered your roads, they were like 98 +/- 2 while I have like 10 more. The problem is I have 11 more expansions than you do so a lot more space to fill. So not only yours doesn`t help me by giving me tips on efficiency but it`s far from organized either.

I just followed the simple tactic of having large buildings on the outside and after I acquire a few more expansions I will try to fill the far right column with large buildings as well not to have roads end in decorations anymore. So far that is the only improvement I can think of that is more efficient than my actual village.
Of course I am always opened for ideas, as long as they actually make sense.

DeletedUser

Sometimes being organized and being efficient don't go together. Ever tried organizing a tetris game? All the different shapes and colours lol You just try to fit the blocks efficiently. :)
I'm aware that my town could be even more efficient, but I still always strive to have the big buildings be touched by preferably 1 road. That might end up having some of my houses touch more roads, but so be it :p So far it has proven to be quite space efficient in comparison to most towns.

As hint said, it might be ugly, but it works lol.
Also, your buildings size are more of a constant, making it easier to plan them in blocks, where as I have to deal with a big variation of 2x3, 3x3, 3x4, 4x3 and 4x4 is more limited space than you. :(

- L

DeletedUser

I have less roads because I have less expansions and probably because I utilized my town space a bit more.
As for productivity, Wallachian merely make 1k more coins/hour and even 1.5k less supplies/hour. So I think my town is a bit more productive in that area.
- L

I dont care about supplies because I plunder. How about telling people how many goods buildings you own comparing with Wallachian that didnt had one in months. Oh right, Wallachian doesnt needs one because he takes all he needs from others...
Instead I have 17 military buildings while if Im not mistaken you have 4? You cant really compare a farmer with a plunderer in regard with efficiency as long as you have no clue of how much he plunders every day. So theres no need to compare your village with mine in regard with gold or supplies as we dont have the same game style.

DeletedUser

Hey mate.. that wasn't aimed at you, I was merely answering the question how it is that you produce more than me.. :/
One question though. I dont know wheter you guys are in different eras with your towns, so i'm comparing apples with oranges, but Wallachian's city is more productive...
Please don't take offense, I wasn't comparing, I was explaining.

- L

DeletedUser

Hey mate.. that wasn't aimed at you, I was merely answering the question how it is that you produce more than me.. :/

Please don't take offense, I wasn't comparing, I was explaining.

- L

I didnt take any offense, was just explaining how you cant compare the two in regard with gold/ supplies/ goods as I get most of what I need from plundering.
If i had the option Id delete half of my houses in order to raise more military buildings. Unfortunately theres a population factor...

DeletedUser3157

To HRC: Yeah it was the town hall surroundings which impressed me too. And yes I meant the (roads+decos)/total tiles calc. I didn't to any calcs this time, but from what his town was back then I remember I did and the numbers were quite good tbh. The single road for huge buildings around town hall may have inflated it a bit, but nevertheless it was not bad at all to my suprise.

Regading W and L minor income difference despite bigger size and advancement difference, I think a lot of it has to do how heavly military oriented W town is, compared to L who only has 4 military buildings.

And personally on this issue, I tend to make things harder for myself in a sense that I do not only want my town to be efficent, I also want it to look 'good' in some weird sense. This means that I want similar types of buildings to stay next to each-other, lined up as nice as possible, don't wanna use any decos to ever end roads and so on. Even up to a degree where I might sacrifice few tiles here and there of town efficency just to serve that goal. I'm currently waiting for my next 2 expansions to finish up current transistion stage my town is in(I'm still 2.5 weeks away from finishing up LMA), so I do not really like way it currently looks, but this is what I had about 3 weeks ago:
town2.jpg

DeletedUser

For calcs, I'd like to point out that when you click anywhere within the town of the ForgeStats links Wallachian and I provided, you'll see the calcs appearing to the right.
They start out being reset to 0, but clicking anywhere will make them appear.

- L

DeletedUser3157

You are right, this must be one of the latest addissions. Although decorations do inflate that number a bit. But seeing as you have none and W has 11 tiles of them, it only serves you and proves my memory wasn't that off at all, your town is quite nice efficiency wise.

DeletedUser

Wallachian's pattern is easier to start with, so I'll use that methodology, but I'm convinced more by Lorodoths approach when it comes to space efficiency. Looking at the stats (thx Lorodoth for the tip, I thought it was a simulator bug), it seems that Lorodoth's town is slightly more space efficient (that was the topic we were taliking about, right?) - 1% point difference of roads to total space and less decos.

As for estehtics: would you guys rather live in a town with 4 main boulevards or in a medieval labirinth like Lorodoths? :P

DeletedUser

And instead you have roads on 3 sides of some of your houses? To clench my curiosity I numbered your roads, they were like 98 +/- 2 while I have like 10 more.

Yeah I've got 97 roads, which is 13.47% of my town. :)
You say you've got about 10 more, but you've got 133 roads..
Also, I just got a realization from hint's last reply, and replaced your decorations that're basically empty space holders, with roads for a more accurate space efficiency number.
This raises your roads/empty space/decorations number from 133 to 143 = 15.96% of your town.

This is a percentage of our individual towns, so I think I've got the upperhand there lol (by 2% woo lmao)

@ Mr.Duke: I would much rather live in Wallachian's or hint's town, but this is an efficiency game (for me at least). ;)

- L

DeletedUser

I'd sacrifice a slight bit of efficiency for a methodical layout that makes it easier to expand or upgrade. In Lodroth's town, upgrading buildings to a new Age might be difficult if dimensions are different, and require some massive reorganization (is this the case, or is it easier than I suspect, or have you not had to worry about that as yet?).

With Wallachian or HRC, adding more expansions shouldn't be too hard, they'll just extend the existing roads. Once I get towards the end of research, I might consider organizing my town for pure efficiency like Lodroth, but until that point I think there's a strong argument to have regular city blocks.

DeletedUser

Yeah I've got 97 roads, which is 13.47% of my town. :)
You say you've got about 10 more, but you've got 133 roads..
Also, I just got a realization from hint's last reply, and replaced your decorations that're basically empty space holders, with roads for a more accurate space efficiency number.
This raises your roads/empty space/decorations number from 133 to 143 = 15.96% of your town.

This is a percentage of our individual towns, so I think I've got the upperhand there lol (by 2% woo lmao)

- L

Hmm, yeah Im not happy about those decorations. Like i said my next step will be to make another column of larger buildings on the far right side so the roads wont finish in houses and decorations. I`ll have Rangers and dragoons buildings there as they`re luckily very high buildings but with small width so I wont have to change too much.
This will save me for 6-8 road tiles and 4 decorations.

I think by that time I will reach the maximum in what I had in mind. Your village might be a tad bit more efficient but I have to admit, I like buildings ordered in military fashion :D Its also easier to gather the gold and supplies this way without moving around the village for too long.

Later edit: Btw, in case somebody was wondering, I didnt put the decorations there just to fill up space. I actually needed the extra happiness they provided. Now that I built better roads I dont have that problem anymore but before that they were needed in order to reach the required for 120%

DeletedUser3157

@ Mr.Duke: I would much rather live in Wallachian's or hint's town, but this is an efficiency game (for me at least). ;)

Reason why I like to keep my houses all in lines is so that it would make easyer to collect. Same with farms, no searching or scrolling around. I don't use decos cause I don't wanna give anyone chance to polish them. And I keep culturals in line and same place to make it easyer for polish for my guildsmates, I don't want them to waste time searching my town where what is. Plus I like when it looks clean. Plus I'm kinda OCD.

And my town is more space efficient than all but very few towns I've seen in any server, so I'm ok with it :)

DeletedUser

I'd sacrifice a slight bit of efficiency for a methodical layout that makes it easier to expand or upgrade. In Lodroth's town, upgrading buildings to a new Age might be difficult if dimensions are different, and require some massive reorganization (is this the case, or is it easier than I suspect, or have you not had to worry about that as yet?).
I spent about 1 day trying to decide where to put that library after I got 1 expansion lol. So yeah. Sometimes it takes very long, sometimes not. :D
But the fun thing is, I get a lot of replies from neighbours and guildies about how my town is always changing. It can also confuse the attackers a bit. xD

Its also easier to gather the gold and supplies this way without moving around the village for too long.
I've got a large screen, so I don't even have to move my town currently to click on every building. :)
And with me only advancing towards the river from this point on, I doubt I'll have to!

- L

DeletedUser

For calcs, I'd like to point out that when you click anywhere within the town of the ForgeStats links Wallachian and I provided, you'll see the calcs appearing to the right.
They start out being reset to 0, but clicking anywhere will make them appear.

- L

That sounds like a bug, actually. They should appear when you load the page. If I can reproduce it, it will be fixed tonight.

EDIT: Fixed.

DeletedUser

Well first thing you can do is plan your city using this simulator: http://forgestats.net/map/map.php
Second, place 3x3, 4x4 buildings on the outside and houses on the inside. Third I see you have roads on both side of some buildings which its pointless.
Ill add a picture of mine as example, you`ll see I have very few decorations but still I use every square and I try to keep the roads to a minimum
View attachment 1237
And here`s how it looks in that simulator:
http://www.forgestats.net/map/map.php?m=a61cd452ab9d37dfbe784efa61f379a7

It might be very efficient, but it looks ugly as hell. I dont know why people want to make their cities so much efficient that they will end up ruining the game. When I registered in this game, I saw a very nice-looking realistic roman-type city on the advertising page, and that convinced me to register in this game. But when I see the cities built by the top players, I see ugly unrealistic cities with like 8 or 10 churches one next to the other. I mean what is that about? thats so unrealistic and not even fun. I know its more efficient that way, but its unrealistic and ugly. The makers of this game should make it mandatory to make more roads, connecting blocks (to avoid crowded ways), they should also make it impossible to build another church (for example) within a determined range, they should make the player build more decorations and culture buildings, etc etc. This way, the cities would look more realistic and less ugly and boring.

This is just my opinion.