• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Rushing through the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giskler

Legend
Easy fix. All guildmates need Obs, and if possible Arc. Level 4-5 Obs covers goods for GE each week I think. I would make getting guild goods GBs a priority for your guild. It doesn’t matter if they rush then. Some guilds have compulsory fp donations to Obs to help with getting bps. I went out and sniped my hood and it didn’t take long. The only world on which it was hard was R in the early days. Guildmates unwilling to do this can move on. Higher age means more crowns from GE so them rushing isn’t necessarily bad for your guild. Word to the wise -get your HOF on. Halls of Fame are way more important than GE for progressing the guild. Good luck.
HoFs suck! :P

DeletedUser113125

HoFs suck! :P
I must be psychic; I knew that would trigger you. Although they don’t directly benefit a city, having a guild at a higher level reduces costs, troop training time and gives FPS so it is an indirect benefit.

Having on different worlds camped properly, rushed ages and a balance of both, I can say that there is a place in the game for all play styles. GE4 is easy in camping cities, I’m not getting attacked that much in my rushed city and goods and supplies have sorted themselves out while I waited for the ship, and my balanced city is a bit dull as no stress from supplies but GE4 can’t be fought.

DeletedUser111359

HoF's are a waste of space. On En5 my guild is maxed out at 75, so an HoF gives absolutely nothing at all effectively.

On En5 the guild I founded is up to L-17. So getting to 18, costs 75,630 crowns. My city is currently ME, which means an HoF produces 90 crowns a day. So an HoF would produce enough crowns every 841 days to level up the guild.

That's worthless.

Giskler

Legend
I must be psychic; I knew that would trigger you. Although they don’t directly benefit a city, having a guild at a higher level reduces costs, troop training time and gives FPS so it is an indirect benefit.

Having on different worlds camped properly, rushed ages and a balance of both, I can say that there is a place in the game for all play styles. GE4 is easy in camping cities, I’m not getting attacked that much in my rushed city and goods and supplies have sorted themselves out while I waited for the ship, and my balanced city is a bit dull as no stress from supplies but GE4 can’t be fought.
They take up too much space for the crowns they give.

Giskler

Legend
HoF's are a waste of space. On En5 my guild is maxed out at 75, so an HoF gives absolutely nothing at all effectively.

On En5 the guild I founded is up to L-17. So getting to 18, costs 75,630 crowns. My city is currently ME, which means an HoF produces 90 crowns a day. So an HoF would produce enough crowns every 841 days to level up the guild.

That's worthless.
Anyone who dislikes HoF's is allright in my book!

DeletedUser113125

That's worthless.
Yes, if your guild is level 75 they are not useful :)

ME-1 HOF 90 crowns 841 days.
Motivated is 180 crowns so 421 days
2 HOFs 211 days
30 guildmates with 2 motivated HOFs in ME is 7 days

DeletedUser111359

Yes, if your guild is level 75 they are not useful :)

ME-1 HOF 90 crowns 841 days.
Motivated is 180 crowns so 421 days
2 HOFs 211 days
30 guildmates with 2 motivated HOFs in ME is 7 days

I've only got 1, not 2. My guild only has 25 members, and I doubt most of them have 2, probably quite a few only have 1 or none. We're not going to get a meaningful number of crowns from HoF's. It's simply not practical.

Meanwhile in a year, we have picked up 17 levels from doing just GE. We don't do anything at all in GvG. So we're progressing just fine w/o HoF's.

DeletedUser113125

I've only got 1, not 2. My guild only has 25 members, and I doubt most of them have 2, probably quite a few only have 1 or none. We're not going to get a meaningful number of crowns from HoF's. It's simply not practical.

Meanwhile in a year, we have picked up 17 levels from doing just GE. We don't do anything at all in GvG. So we're progressing just fine w/o HoF's.
That is great. Well done. It was just advice to @DAVEYBOI. He can do with it what he wants. He asked about guildmates teching quickly; it was part of the discussion about the benefit of higher age players.

I get 3k-6k crowns a day from my main city so for me it seems worth it.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Waste less time, AF and OF are timegated so the sooner you get there the better. Can level GBs while waiting for the damn ship and sub.

I said it’s a waste of time. I have no idea why you are talking about plundering and scrubs. Try to read the posts you reply to.
*sigh*
We can literally set our clocks by the sheer number of whine-threads that constantly show up here, demanding that plundering and those who plunder be removed from the game...
And what do literally ALL these whine fests have in common? The people who cry and moan about plundering have raced through the tech tree and have terrible, under powered cities!!

So yeah, basically trying to say, "camping is for chumps - just race to *insert era here*" is bad advice.
Most people who try to do so will get eaten alive by their 'hoodies, as they will forever be bottom dwellers with non-existent defenses, and too few resources to negate being potentially plundered.

That's worthless.
Well, because this is relevant for your guild;
...beta just updated guild levels to max Lv.100 ;)

DeletedUser111359

Except again, the number of crowns provided by me building an OF HoF (235 a day) won't make much of a dent in the amount needed to level up. Even getting to L-75 took 3m crowns. It takes a LOT of HoF's at 235 a day to get 3.8 Million saved up...

DeletedUser96901

how long takes one HoF to produce 2 FP more with the guild level ?

and now multiply that amount of days with 2 and you know how many FP you lost because you didn't produce FP with 2 SoK instead :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Giskler

Legend
*sigh*
We can literally set our clocks by the sheer number of whine-threads that constantly show up here, demanding that plundering and those who plunder be removed from the game...
And what do literally ALL these whine fests have in common? The people who cry and moan about plundering have raced through the tech tree and have terrible, under powered cities!!

So yeah, basically trying to say, "camping is for chumps - just race to *insert era here*" is bad advice.
Most people who try to do so will get eaten alive by their 'hoodies, as they will forever be bottom dwellers with non-existent defenses, and too few resources to negate being potentially plundered.

People with underpowered cities are bad at the game, doesn’t have anything to do with teching up.

DeletedUser

Hey everyone I have a few questions, I am the founder of Social Watchman and we are progressing well considering, anyway I have players that are rushing through the ages way to much for my liking and would like to know what the advantages are and more so what the disadvantages are?
Firstly we do weekly donations to the guild treasury and I send weekly donations reports to guild member acknowledging their hard work, however some are rushing ahead and not putting resources into the treasury, does this mean it will cost resources to open expeditions levels we don’t have? Does anyone generally use a rule of asking permission before ageing up? As I said advantages and disadvantages please if you could. Any thanks DAVEYBOI

Back to the Topic: straighten them out or kick them. Tolerate no fools draining Guild resources or compromising progress, Iron Fist in Velvet Glove; advise and guide when possible, rid yourself of dead wood when necessary.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
People with underpowered cities are bad at the game, doesn’t have anything to do with teching up.
99% of the time, the two are indeed linked;
- teching up too fast = too little time to gather resources, build/level GB's, boost military/city defense capabilities = under powered city

- under powered city = easy target for everyone else to exploit + makes events much harder to complete = fewer/if any top end event buildings. (ie: max leveled World's Fair, Colossus, Crow's Nest, Pagodas/Ships, etc...)

Just because YOU think taking one's time is for losers/playing the game "wrong" doesn't make it true.
In general, as proven by a large number of players across various play styles, those who take more time per era do better overall vs. those who just race as fast as possible through the tech tree.

You don't *have* to be an era camper. Many players enjoy doing so, but even just taking a couple of months per era is generally enough time to keep a city well stocked & able to deal with most nieghbourhood attacks & be successful in every main event.

Giskler

Legend
99% of the time, the two are indeed linked;
- teching up too fast = too little time to gather resources, build/level GB's, boost military/city defense capabilities = under powered city

- under powered city = easy target for everyone else to exploit + makes events much harder to complete = fewer/if any top end event buildings. (ie: max leveled World's Fair, Colossus, Crow's Nest, Pagodas/Ships, etc...)

Just because YOU think taking one's time is for losers/playing the game "wrong" doesn't make it true.
In general, as proven by a large number of players across various play styles, those who take more time per era do better overall vs. those who just race as fast as possible through the tech tree.

You don't *have* to be an era camper. Many players enjoy doing so, but even just taking a couple of months per era is generally enough time to keep a city well stocked & able to deal with most nieghbourhood attacks & be successful in every main event.
I don't know why you keep putting words in my mouth (inferiority complex?), but all I said is that camping is a waste of time. The loser/scrub/whining/bad stuff is all from your head.

Galladhorn

Monarch
Enforcing Guild Rules
Any guild need to set up and describe their rules or no rules – at least it needs to be clear what members can expect being part of a guild.
Next these rules then at some point need to be enforced; First memebers not follwing the rules (often sliently), must be notified, then warned and lastly if they do not comply, be kicked form the Guild. Usually it is a good idea if they did not go mad over it, to mention that they are welcome to rejoin if they will live up to the guidelines and rules given by the guild and the guild leaders. But as hard as it may seem, kicking players not complying to the rules laid out must be done, since else it all smulders easily – "Presedence"; "If he or she dont have to do it, then I do not have to do it either". I have seen that in some guilds higher ranking members can easily get a misshabit putting them self on a pedestal, not thinking they need to do any footwork – It is destructive in regard to the guild leaders and members who actually want a guild to work like a guild. Accept that if ths is the way you want your guild, either enforce the rules or change the rules.

Guild Supporting Programs
– Making an OBS and Arc program is certainly a good idea for any guild with a goal – Enough of these and the guild has "passive/automatic" income.
– Enough motivated HOF´s for non top guild will do a difference - also to remember that a HOF should be leveled according to the players Era.

Camping vs Fast Teching
There is several ways to play this game and there is not only either camping or fast teching on that menu – In fact the game has its own kind fo flexible pace – following that is not a bad way to play. As already explained by "Thomas Covenant" in the first repsonse to this thread, Fast Teching is in most cases not a real good way to play unless the player knows what he or she is doing. All players should prepare and plan for every Era they enter, having enough of Coins, Supplies and Goods to take some fast desicieve steps into the tech Treee avoiding to stall in the process.

High Activity mixed with planning and some patience is virtue in FoE.
On several occasions players that was rushing through the tech tree ended up here in threads with their frustrations of being stalled somewhere, e.g by running out of supplies – one of the worst things – All this Tech rushing just to end up in a stalling situation and then go back to actually learn the baseplay of the game.

All players with a few exceptions, must make sure that they make a surplus of Coins, Supplies and Goods every "Turn/Collection/Round" It is an essential part of the game. For Each Era everyhting becomes more expensive, at the same time expansions do have a limit, though it takes qutie some time to use them all, but it does happen. The Surplus is also important in regard to be able to support the Guild and having enough of these makes it possbile to play a little more relaxed when needed.

DeletedUser113125

Enforcing Guild Rules
Any guild need to set up and describe their rules or no rules – at least it needs to be clear what members can expect being part of a guild.
Next these rules then at some point need to be enforced; First memebers not follwing the rules (often sliently), must be notified, then warned and lastly if they do not comply, be kicked form the Guild. Usually it is a good idea if they did not go mad over it, to mention that they are welcome to rejoin if they will live up to the guidelines and rules given by the guild and the guild leaders. But as hard as it may seem, kicking players not complying to the rules laid out must be done, since else it all smulders easily – "Presedence"; "If he or she dont have to do it, then I do not have to do it either". I have seen that in some guilds higher ranking members can easily get a misshabit putting them self on a pedestal, not thinking they need to do any footwork – It is destructive in regard to the guild leaders and members who actually want a guild to work like a guild. Accept that if ths is the way you want your guild, either enforce the rules or change the rules.

Guild Supporting Programs
– Making an OBS and Arc program is certainly a good idea for any guild with a goal – Enough of these and the guild has "passive/automatic" income.
– Enough motivated HOF´s for non top guild will do a difference - also to remember that a HOF should be leveled according to the players Era.

Camping vs Fast Teching
There is several ways to play this game and there is not only either camping or fast teching on that menu – In fact the game has its own kind fo flexible pace – following that is not a bad way to play. As already explained by "Thomas Covenant" in the first repsonse to this thread, Fast Teching is in most cases not a real good way to play unless the player knows what he or she is doing. All players should prepare and plan for every Era they enter, having enough of Coins, Supplies and Goods to take some fast desicieve steps into the tech Treee avoiding to stall in the process.

High Activity mixed with planning and some patience is virtue in FoE.
On several occasions players that was rushing through the tech tree ended up here in threads with their frustrations of being stalled somewhere, e.g by running out of supplies – one of the worst things – All this Tech rushing just to end up in a stalling situation and then go back to actually learn the baseplay of the game.

All players with a few exceptions, must make sure that they make a surplus of Coins, Supplies and Goods every "Turn/Collection/Round" It is an essential part of the game. For Each Era everyhting becomes more expensive, at the same time expansions do have a limit, though it takes qutie some time to use them all, but it does happen. The Surplus is also important in regard to be able to support the Guild and having enough of these makes it possbile to play a little more relaxed when needed.
This is excellent advice.

DeletedUser117706

Hey everyone I have a few questions, I am the founder . . . anyway I have players that are rushing through the ages way to much for my liking and would like to know what the advantages are and more so what the disadvantages are?
. . . Does anyone generally use a rule of asking permission before ageing up? As I said advantages and disadvantages please if you could. . . . DAVEYBOI

Hey DAVEBOI, sounds like you would like to exert more (or total) control over others free-will (something I'm sure you never intended to express). If you want to do that, you should avoid going to the next steps that many "I am the founder" type players do, which is extending their "rule of asking permission" to go to the bathroom, or to get something to eat, or to go to school, or sleep. This is the sign of an egomaniac, a controller and a manipulator, which I am sure you are not DAVEYBOI (or certainly never intended to become).

Here's the problem DAVEYBOI: You are using the game the way it was never intended to be used. Adding rules to the game to control others by using the guild structure is a negative use of guilds; guilds are for positive support of each other not control. If you are short on Guild Treasury resources, you need to support your guild members in specific ages as needed to obtain the great buildings that will benefit your guild members treasury needs, not control them or hinder their advancement through ages. The players in the guild you have the title of "founder" in, have free-will and joined without knowing your intentions to tell them not to advance. It sounds like there was nothing in your guild's description that indicated you had the desire to restrict others play and keep them from advancing in ages. If you do want to control or manipulate other players game play, you should create a new guild, with your new rules, and invite those currently in your guild to review your "rules" of "asking permission" to play the game and assess your intentions and join if they can accept your demands.

Telling players they cannot advance unless they ask YOU for permission, seems controlling (surely not your intention). Instead, try to help newer members get Great Buildings such as the Observatory and The Arc, which make donations automatically to the guild treasury.

I saw another post in a different forum thread that posted the following response:
"I say this with the best of intentions, please ask forum mods for permission before you posting question on how to control other free-willed and autonomous human beings as you are way to controlling for my liking and people are just here to have fun, not join your cult."

Nothing personal, just a suggestion DAVEYBOI, try to help your guild members, not hold them back :-)

Agent327

Overlord
Hey DAVEBOI, sounds like you would like to exert more (or total) control over others free-will (something I'm sure you never intended to express). If you want to do that, you should avoid going to the next steps that many "I am the founder" type players do, which is extending their "rule of asking permission" to go to the bathroom, or to get something to eat, or to go to school, or sleep. This is the sign of an egomaniac, a controller and a manipulator, which I am sure you are not DAVEYBOI (or certainly never intended to become).

Here's the problem DAVEYBOI: You are using the game the way it was never intended to be used. Adding rules to the game to control others by using the guild structure is a negative use of guilds; guilds are for positive support of each other not control. If you are short on Guild Treasury resources, you need to support your guild members in specific ages as needed to obtain the great buildings that will benefit your guild members treasury needs, not control them or hinder their advancement through ages. The players in the guild you have the title of "founder" in, have free-will and joined without knowing your intentions to tell them not to advance. It sounds like there was nothing in your guild's description that indicated you had the desire to restrict others play and keep them from advancing in ages. If you do want to control or manipulate other players game play, you should create a new guild, with your new rules, and invite those currently in your guild to review your "rules" of "asking permission" to play the game and assess your intentions and join if they can accept your demands.

Telling players they cannot advance unless they ask YOU for permission, seems controlling (surely not your intention). Instead, try to help newer members get Great Buildings such as the Observatory and The Arc, which make donations automatically to the guild treasury.

I saw another post in a different forum thread that posted the following response:
"I say this with the best of intentions, please ask forum mods for permission before you posting question on how to control other free-willed and autonomous human beings as you are way to controlling for my liking and people are just here to have fun, not join your cult."

Nothing personal, just a suggestion DAVEYBOI, try to help your guild members, not hold them back :-)

I think you forgot to mention he is a bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.