• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

1.17 - Modern Era - discussion thread

• Thread starter DeletedUser12086
  • Start date

DeletedUser

So how does this new (improved?) goods system work if there are no boost regions for modern age goods... are they all produced at 1 an hour or are they all treated as boosted ??

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
Getting the goods in "lump-sum", is the right of everyone that tried hard to get all the blueprints and goods for their respective Great Buildings. Every change brought with it an improvement to the game, i started playing it when i saw the comercial on tv thought it could be something i can play at the office, the final age was LMA at that time, there were no GB and no unit perks and i don't mean attack and defense bonuses. GB appeared after, bringing bonuses to them that helped people fast cranking through the ages. Now i would really like to see the brainstorming at the table with who decided that making GB produce goods from colonial age, probably a influential one that others can't argue with. The reasoning of it (of what i can think of at the time) was that because of GB's people don't really have to build goods production buildings for the modern era and tried to force pushed through the throat of players the meaning to build them, 'cause sure as hell that is not an improvement to the game, I prefer to gather goods from GB because they can't be plundered, and only build goods production buildings up until the previous of what era i am currently. If that is the main reasoning then it is a petty thing, like pushing an old lady down the stairs and asking where is she rushing, to which i only have one other thing to say to the developers : .

LOL...I have all the BPs of all GBs more than 1 set with me without much difficulty or fuss ....i got them by only regular P/M and FP contributions to the GBs i wanted ....but haven't built any goods producing GBs except the lighthouse ... Infact I have got only 7 GBs (3 attack boost 2 defense boost 1 LOA and 1 Alcatraz) ..neither did i spend diamonds nor i took any extraordinary efforts ...I was never in need of goods producing GBs till date ... anyways thats just my way of playing the game ...

Now about the GBs producing previous age goods ...I am sure if they are producing them they must be having some use for those goods in ME otherwise innogames would not have made such a game relevant changes to the GBs suddenly... we just need to wait and see how its going to work ...not for long ...just for another 5 -6 days ...maybe then we can start talking about it ..dont you guys think so ?? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I've think I've found my answer... boosted by bronze age regions and need colonial age goods to manufacture.... so one player with an unlucky combination could end up with just 1 product being produced at a boosted rate (without trading goods) while another player could end up with 3 modern age goods boosted ?? ... No longer a level playing field it seems... more down to luck... or am I understanding it wrong ??

Nilopertiso

Corporal
So how does this new (improved?) goods system work if there are no boost regions for modern age goods... are they all produced at 1 an hour or are they all treated as boosted ??

Modern Era goods will require, as far as I can see, Colonial age goods (the actual goods I think, not the raw deposit) which is boosted by a Bronze Age good deposit. My guess is that the two boosted goods you'll produce in ME will be the ones with the same boost as those you produced for the Bronze Age, except now you need to use CA goods to make them. I may be wrong though as I haven't actually played this in beta, this is just an assumption based on what I have seen.
Someone has put a video on forgeofempires.wikia.com showing the new tech tree for the modern era and the stats for each one. I won't post the exact link though so if you find it it's because you have gone out of your way to :)

DeletedUser15432

Well. on mu 3 major worlds I use a mixtures of goods buildings and goods producing great buildings, the great buildings being Babel (pop boost), Lighthouse (supplies boost) and St Marks (coins boost) otherwise all goods are produced

DeletedUser13805

who knows what i will be moaning about next week as we get ready for this new age and of course it means change yet again i will wait and see how the game pans out i really hope the game improves i am getting tired of it all now so its a much needed boost but i am not looking forward to it as i know evertime they change things it always ends up in a mess

DeletedUser

I've think I've found my answer... boosted by bronze age regions and need colonial age goods to manufacture.... so one player with an unlucky combination could end up with just 1 product being produced at a boosted rate (without trading goods) while another player could end up with 3 modern age goods boosted ?? ... No longer a level playing field it seems... more down to luck... or am I understanding it wrong ??
That is correct, and according to the video mentioned by Nilotiso, i will be in the unlucky group that will produce just one boosted good.

DeletedUser3157

No. Everyone will have 3 modern era goods boosted by a deposit(2 bronze age deposits + 1 more bronze age deposit in modern era). You just need to spend various CA goods as cost of producing the modern era goods. Now if you would also plan to self-produce the CA goods on your own, then yes you could have limited options. But I hardly see why an advanced ME player would need to produce his own CA goods, esp with all the goods GBs then producing CA goods everywhere on double the normal numbers.

DeletedUser5904

i agree, and as EVERY PLAYER faces the same new challenges we will just have to adapt to them, perhaps rethink our personal strategies to overcome new challenges. I think that guild participation will now, eventually come to the fore and play (a much needed) a far more important role to our game play

Sorry, but I disagree. Not every player built all the goods producing great buildings/wishing wells and as such were not reliant on them as the primary means of goods production so this change more or less is status quo for them. But for me, I rely on the GB's to work as originally intended (I built them all and formed my entire playstyle around them) as I don't build goods buildings. And as such, nobody can give me the time, effort, diamonds and sometimes $$$ back I spent on those 5 great buildings and wishing wells which no longer meet my needs. And yes, the GB's provide other bonuses but with half their usefulness to me nerfed 135 squares of space is a big pill to swallow. That also doesn't take into account that ME has 17 total buildable structures from the tech tree, 14 of which require 2 lane roads. The Progressive Era in contrast had 20 tech tree buildable structures with only 10 requiring 2 lane road. So space will be even more of a premium.

So no, not every player faces the same new challenges nor should we have to "adapt" (is that some kind of joke?). It would be different if these were new concepts that were somehow overpowered and they fixed them in a timely fashion to bring them back in line. But to now change something as integral as how these goods producing great buildings work, after nearly 14 months of them being live and becoming so relied upon to those who had them, is just plain wrong.

DeletedUser5904

I don't mind new challenges, but I object heavily to Bait-and-Switch changes. I have Goods GBs so that I can gather Current Era goods more effectively, and a lot of players have invested a lot of time/effort/FPs/diamonds/money* into GBs and Wishing Wells in order to get goods "of the current age", not "Goods from 3 Ages back that we have loads of anyway".

If** this change comes in then my production rate for goods in ME and above will be massively nerfed, meaning my long-term efforts to help my production of the current era will be greatly affected.

* delete as inapplicable

** I say "if", I should say "when" because the developers have shown they don't care. It'll get implemented regardless of the overwhelmingly bad feedback from the test server.

Totally agree!

DeletedUser3157

Sorry, but I disagree. Not every player built all the goods producing great buildings/wishing wells and as such were not reliant on them as the primary means of goods production so this change more or less is status quo for them. But for me, I rely on the GB's to work as originally intended (I built them all and formed my entire playstyle around them) as I don't build goods buildings. And as such, nobody can give me the time, effort, diamonds and sometimes $$$ back I spent on those 5 great buildings and wishing wells which no longer meet my needs. And yes, the GB's provide other bonuses but with half their usefulness to me nerfed 135 squares of space is a big pill to swallow.

I do not think there are too many players out there who will lose more comfort out there with this change, than me. I have 24 goods producing GBs and 15 wishing wells. That is 8 LoA, 8 StM, 7 RAH and 1 Dresden between my 8 worlds. Also my biggest competator in my main is a really big spender who, unlike me, will not need to spend time and space producing ME goods, as he will usually just buy what he needs with diamonds. Getting the goods I need for the age + stock for GB, I will miss out on about 7 days of collects together with rebuilding ala ~100k rank points. Yet...I don't really mind. It's smth different for a change, it's been so predictable and boring for so long. Gives a chance to turn off the autopilot for a bit and think how best adapt and arrange things in this new age.

DeletedUser5904

I do not think there are too many players out there who will lose more comfort out there with this change, than me. I have 24 goods producing GBs and 15 wishing wells. That is 8 LoA, 8 StM, 7 RAH and 1 Dresden between my 8 worlds. Also my biggest competator in my main is a really big spender who, unlike me, will not need to spend time and space producing ME goods, as he will usually just buy what he needs with diamonds. Getting the goods I need for the age + stock for GB, I will miss out on about 7 days of collects together with rebuilding ala ~100k rank points. Yet...I don't really mind. It's smth different for a change, it's been so predictable and boring for so long. Gives a chance to turn off the autopilot for a bit and think how best adapt and arrange things in this new age.

You may be right in your first sentence (I have all 5 goods producing gb's on 3 accounts, and 32 total goods producers spread out among 10 worlds) but from there it's all a matter of perspective. I stopped worrying about points growth months ago, when I was in the top 15 on the server on my main account (EN7). There I have banked close to 1k forge points, nearly 300 million resources/coin and another 13kish goods from the last 3 eras since progressive era came out. I could strip my entire town of everything other than goods buildings and housing and bust out the entire thing in a few weeks. Or I wouldn't have to build a single building from this new era and muddle my way through via trading on what I have banked. So no, this change probably wouldn't slow players like us down in the slightest if we don't want it to...nothing but a blip on the radar. That said I don't like smoke blown up my backside, nor do I appreciate having all my end game cities nerfed, which leads me to my opinion as to why they made these changes:

In my humble opinion all these changes for the Modern Era (from the proclamation of "the longest story quest line for any age until now", to the GB and goods production changes and all points in between) were designed to slow down the speed with which the average player progresses. It's probably an attempt to give the development team more time between expansions...but it all feels contrived. I could be wrong but when they "fix" things that have been in the game this long, for no necessary reason, I can't help but be left with a bad taste in my mouth over it...probably enough to keep me from playing this game with any regularity going forward.

DeletedUser5904

LOL...I have all the BPs of all GBs more than 1 set with me without much difficulty or fuss ....i got them by only regular P/M and FP contributions to the GBs i wanted ....but haven't built any goods producing GBs except the lighthouse ... Infact I have got only 7 GBs (3 attack boost 2 defense boost 1 LOA and 1 Alcatraz) ..neither did i spend diamonds nor i took any extraordinary efforts ...I was never in need of goods producing GBs till date ... anyways thats just my way of playing the game ...

Now about the GBs producing previous age goods ...I am sure if they are producing them they must be having some use for those goods in ME otherwise innogames would not have made such a game relevant changes to the GBs suddenly... we just need to wait and see how its going to work ...not for long ...just for another 5 -6 days ...maybe then we can start talking about it ..dont you guys think so ?? :rolleyes:

Well good for you Devil, then this change doesn't affect your playstyle in the slightest. For players like me who built them all it's a kick in the jimmy and I won't be happy about it. And we don't have to wait 5-6 days to see how the system works. It's been on Beta server for a month now and I can attest I don't like it there either. It forces me to either a) rebuild my entire city around goods producers to finish the tech tree quickly, or muddle about collecting a bunch of CA goods from my GB's that I don't need and slowly trade my way to the end of tech. Either way it forces me to change my approach to the game and sets me back in my efforts. It's worth getting mad about and sorry you don't see it.

DeletedUser15986

I'm less affected by GBs, and more affected by WWs, and I disagree completely... because I suspect I am massively more affected overall due to my Goods Production Buildings. I don't ignore goods production buildings of the current age just because I have GBs, I still produce goods of the current age as well as all the ages previously that I have boosts for - because I have tailored my game to being a high level trader for my guild, in order to help my guildmates acquire the goods they are requesting. This alone means I have to adapt my production each new Age as regards layout and strategy, due to the ever population and layout requirements, so that I can continue to produce enough goods to help everyone.

I don't care about the ranking points, I don't care about the time taken to redesign, I don't even care about the space requirements and the like... What I do care about is time and production efficiency, which I have spent months getting right.

GBs "in play" for my biggest goods world are LoA[4], St Marks[3], Dresden[3], RAH[1], ToB[3], and following various events I also have 9 WWs. I've still to complete the tech tree, so I don't have access to the super-high population buildings like High-Rise in order to support a large population needed for multiple PE+ Goods buildings, but despite this I still manage to run the following Goods production in this world.

Bronze: Wine*, Marble*, (108 pop each)
Iron: Jewelry* (230 pop each)
EMA: Gold*, Honey* (340 pop each)
HMA: Glass*, Brick* (460 pop each)
LMA: Gunpowder** (580 pop each)
Colonial: Coffee**, Paper** (720 pop each)
Industrial: Whale Oil**, Rubber** (1020 pop each)
Prog: Tin* (1200 pop each)

(Cloth and Basalt are also normally produced, but were put on hold temporarily during the Winter Quest for space/population reasons, and I will also produce Machine Parts once I get High-Rises that allow enough population.)

Currently I am using 11366 total population for Goods production, and a massive amount of long-term planning. I produce 400 Goods per day atm (at full capacity this rises to 460 p/d), and anything between 50-140 Bonus goods in addition from GB/WWs, depending on how generous my WWs are.

On average I get around 80 Bonus goods per day taking GBs/WWs into account, so I'll use this figure as a guide.
To produce those 80 ME Goods per day I would need 4 ME factories in addition to my standard ones which, at 1360 pop each, requires 5440 population. To find this population I would have to destroy nearly 50% of my current Goods Buildings (by population), or all of my top-end InA/PE production buildings. I find this unacceptable, and unfair.

Or, to look at another option; using one extra ME production building to convert the random GB/WW goods I will lose 3 days worth of ME Goods production every day. I find this completely unacceptable, and unfair.

Also, I will no longer be able to generate random ME goods at all and will instead be dependent on the random CA goods I receive being suitable to generate specific ME ones - which is only a 40% chance at best. I find this unacceptable, unfair, and (in the case of the latter part) stupid.

Finally; if I had fully upgraded GBs I would get 86 bonus goods - which makes the figures even worse, 3 days lost every day without the Wishing Wells. Adding WWs to the mix could in theory lose an entire week of production per day on occasion. (And I've had days where all the WWs gave me goods.)

This change isn't "adapting" or "challenging" for some players, it is wholesale game-breaking idiocy... and when it comes to the long term investment by players into GBs and WWs it is highly unfair - and unethical as well in my view, for being just like a bait-and-switch scam.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Okay, now that we got the PE update announced, I think the devs would see this forum, or at least the Co-Comms or even Anwar.

Fix the Space Needle! Oh my goodness it's so BAD! 6x5 and it gives 1,200 happiness on level one? Frau is 1,500 on 5x5 at lvl 1.

DeletedUser7719

Finally; if I had fully upgraded GBs I would get 86 bonus goods
Just a note that if they don't produce ME goods, they will produce double the amount of CA goods. You saying that you have many wishing wells just wanted me to make sure that you have already doubled your number ;)

DeletedUser15986

Just a note that if they don't produce ME goods, they will produce double the amount of CA goods. You saying that you have many wishing wells just wanted me to make sure that you have already doubled your number ;)

I'm aware the change gives double CA goods, because that's what's needed to generate the ME goods manually, but I've used the production rates as if they gave ME goods at normal rates because that's what's being broken by the update. (I thought about including the percentages for the loss of CA goods due to the 40% chance of getting usable CA->ME Goods, but the figures were depressing enough already without adding that level of detail. Suffice to say, the trading overhead added yet another layer of annoyance.)

DeletedUser

What happens once the ME players have completed their tech tree and tear down their goods buildings (the top players tend to concentrate on maximising space efficiency.... Goods don't give points).... the game will be awash with useless colonial age goods produced at double rate by GB's.... I suspect the Colonial age map in GvG is going to get very competitive.... but then what ME players want to fight and produce Colonial age troops ??

I just don't get the logic ?? ... If they wanted to slow down players development all the devs had to do was make the research prohibitively expensive... that would surely make more sense wouldn't it ??

They won't even be any use when the following age comes out as research tends to use goods from the previous two ages.... It appears to me that the only motivation behind this is to make cities more prone to plundering (which with the cost of modern age goods will just cause greater player disenchantment) in the hope that it causes players to login more frequently... call me cynical... but I really can't see any other reasoning behind it :(

Can't help but remember when Coke decided to change their recipe ;)

DeletedUser7990

"I just don't get the logic ??"

Is this game about winning? Some people are pushed towards being the best, and to be the best you have to take what is thrown at you. I think from my personal point of view, I reached the end of the tech tree ages ago, I defeated all the areas in "Europe" ages ago, I want something different. The challenge is now there, instead of say "it's just the same as before".

I wouldn't have seen the logic in keeping everything the same. Now the game will get more exciting. Bring on Wednesday!!!

DeletedUser3707

Why COLONIAL goods? Why the heck are players being punished by being thrown back TWO whole ages? Why can't players just continue producing Progressive Age Goods when they reach Modern Age?