• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Event Winter event 2022 feedback

Spartan08

FoE Team
Co-Community Manager
Please leave your feedback for the Winter Event starting on December 1st below. See here for the full details of the event.

suethegreat

Captain
Just wonder when tested how many players actually filled the calendar. Having done the rush, used all the stars and only one key and not in every city. A frustrating feature as last year is the shuffle which you cant skip as you can be close to finding the key then get a new board.

A frustrating feature as last year is the shuffle
Yes they have tried to make shuffle more worthwhile by offering a new elves gift except you need to pay almost 3000 diamonds to claim them.

It doesn't feel like there are any chance of getting all the daily keys without spending diamonds or a lot of luck because the early event quests only give 5 stars and you need 10 stars or do x2 quests to open only one present.
There are x16 presents/day or more to open with shuffle or 32 starter quests so getting all keys or daily special is quite a tough task even with broken keys in my opinion.

Gooders99

Private
I think someone has miscalculated badly. A reward of 5 stars for each quest completed is far too small. There is no way anyone is going to complete the event (or get close to collecting all the keys). You will start to see loads of stars being given out for collecting "incidents" as the timeline wears on, mark my words.

Personally, I'm inclined to not waste my resources trying to complete the event - got better things to do with them.

Gooders99

Private
Looking at it again, it's even worse than I thought. You are going to get an average of 2 or 3 goes at opening a present per day. The chances of you getting all the keys are non-existent, so don't even bother with the daily quests - you'll be wasting your time. Furthermore, there is no way you are going to light up the town the required number of times to fully upgrade the "Chocolatery". This event is definitely the worst thought out one I've seen since I started playing.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
I think someone has miscalculated badly. A reward of 5 stars for each quest completed is far too small. There is no way anyone is going to complete the event (or get close to collecting all the keys). You will start to see loads of stars being given out for collecting "incidents" as the timeline wears on, mark my words.

Personally, I'm inclined to not waste my resources trying to complete the event - got better things to do with them.
Not sure what your issue here is exactly. You will complete the event with a fully upgraded Event Building - but most likely will not be able to complete the calendar (probably missing 8-12 days worth of keys). The calendar is not the Event - it is just a sub-event to attempt to complete. There will be enough stars to get the Building, plus a good chance of getting a 2nd Level 1 building - but the way the calendar event is designed, especially with the shuffle causing problems, that is why the Calendar is not likely to be completed (except by supreme good fortune or a significant # of diamonds).

shadowblackff

Second Lieutenant
Some quick math:
To get the Chocolatery to max level we need 10 Upgrades. We get two from quests, so 8 more. That means at least 300 points. So anywhere from 100 (best case) to 300 (worst case) presents. The average will probably be around 150 presents. We get enough stars for 110 presents, so that leaves another 40 (400 stars!) needed. That's a lot – and I mean A LOT – of extra stars to be earned from opening presents and from incidents around the city...

In other words:
If you want to get the Chocolatery to max level without spending money – start praying for above average luck.

Emberguard

Legend
Some quick math:
To get the Chocolatery to max level we need 10 Upgrades. We get two from quests, so 8 more. That means at least 300 points. So anywhere from 100 (best case) to 300 (worst case) presents. The average will probably be around 150 presents. We get enough stars for 110 presents, so that leaves another 40 (400 stars!) needed. That's a lot – and I mean A LOT – of extra stars to be earned from opening presents and from incidents around the city...

In other words:
If you want to get the Chocolatery to max level without spending money – start praying for above average luck.

Shuffle = extra present every time

There’s other presents that also give extra stars.

Getting the main building is much easier if you’re spending in a lump sum because you’re getting a significant amount of extra grand prize progress.

SirTux

Private
To see on day 3, that the calendar is definitely out of reach already, leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. Have completed 22 quests and still haven't found the 3rd key. That's ridiculous -- don't even bother having the calendar if it takes that much luck; it's just frustrating and off-putting. Seriously making me rethink if I want to bother with a game that is based on luck instead of effort. /rant

Hello , as a player who has been here for a few years I am always amazed when take good events and make them worse. This new event is one of those in my opinion. You don’t give daily stars. And you earn only 5 stars per challenge, BUT you need 10 stars to play the event. I call that a rip-off and should be beneath a long running popular game like this. I have spent hundreds of dollars playing this game over the years . But now it is obvious you are just getting greedier , especially in this time of rising prices and inflation in the world. Shame on you all.

Knight of ICE

from 1 to 10 ... I would rate this event 0
such a.waste of time trying to get all keys - when its impossible

previous winter events were slightly better ... but this one takes cake as worst so far

Event is almost exactly the same as the one from last year. Only difference is the Elves Workshop. Last year that was a Reindeer Collection, but it works in the same way.

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
Event is almost exactly the same as the one from last year. Only difference is the Elves Workshop. Last year that was a Reindeer Collection, but it works in the same way.
This year the milestones give 75 stars, last year 140 stars, so it is 65 stars less, and we had the event surprise box last year which helped with at least one upgrade. This year is indeed more scrooge-like than last one, and it was scrooge-y then too. Kind of sad for the winter event to be arguably the worst event for winning prizes / player enjoyment while being the last event of the year, and the longest event.

But yes, The Calendar was impossible last year also. One would have hoped they reworked the mechanics of this event to at least make it possible to collect daily keys to complete the calendar through daily activity, but it's not even close to possible without spending lots of diamonds for extra event currency. there is a great calculation in beta showing a 0.12% (essentially 0% chance) chance of someone actually completing the calendar with the 1095 stars that would be available without diamonds.

And yes, the reindeer sleigh/elves thing is almost exactly the same as every other year, and is still a big rip-off and confusing to everyone. Every player who first views it thinks if they fill all the gifts they will win the gifts, not fill it and then pay 2995 diamonds to actually receive them - worse still the claim button is always active so someone with more diamonds than brains could pay to collect it when it's not even full.

The winter event, more than any other, seems designed to prey on the ignorance of players. Guys - just ignore the calendar and the elves, you can get a fully-levelled main prize building if you're not distracted by all the cons you're being offered.

Andrew420

Major
Getting the main event building without using diamonds this year shouldn't be a problem
Seems to be almost a carbon copy of last year's event

We need 10 upgrades
We will get 2 if we finish all quests
That leaves 8 that we need to get from earning grand prizes
The 8th selection kit is the 16th grand prize
We will need to light 300 candles to reach 16th GP
That can take anywhere from 100 to 300 match boxes
My average over the years has been around 2 matches a box so I expect it will be around 150 give or take
We get 1 match box every 10 stars we spend so about 1500 stars for fully upgraded main event building

Expected Stars to receive during the Winter Event
Beginning of the Event 20 Stars
Daily Connections 33 x 10= 330 Stars
Completing Main Quests 38 x 51= 90 Stars
Completing Daily Quests 32 x 15= 480 Stars
Milestone Bonus 1 x 75= 75 Stars
Total 1095 Stars
I got my 20 stars from the FoE E-mail so 1105 stars

That means I have to earn 395 to 495 more stars

We can earn extra stars from incidents and more
  • The Show 2 Tile gives the player 3 Stars.
  • Some Presents award Stars, 14 Stars.
  • The Shuffle Tile gives the player 10 Stars.
  • The Calendar Kit Tile gives the player 10 Stars and a Master Key Piece if found more than once in a day.
  • Some Incidents in and around your city, will give between 1 Star & 100 Stars (more on a very rare occasion).
Already in 1st 3 days without any effort between incidents and extra stars from calendar and shuffle
I have earned 50 extra stars
Looks like I should make it no problem

It's as @Paladiac the Pure states
The calendar is not the event - it is just a sub-event to attempt to complete.
Neither the elves workshop or the calendar is necessary to finish the event or the main event building

palomar

Private
The calendar is a red herring. Based on my experience playing on Beta, I've told my guildmates to ignore it, and recommended that they should either play for minor prizes or a daily special only, or, if they want the main building fully upgraded, to wait until the last day or two and then use all their stars in a single session. In Beta I got the fully upgraded building with a couple of days to spare but only after I realised the calendar was a trap. I'd actually given up on getting the main building, was playing for a daily special that happened to crop up right near the end, and was surprised when I found I had enough upgrades for the main building.

I think the "extra" stars they give every time it shuffles and also with certain presents and so on, makes up for getting less stars elsewhere than what they gave out in past years, but this only works if you save up the "regular" stars, the ones you get from the daily logins/quests/incidents, and use them all at once. Because every day the whole board resets again. That means that you run out of stars, can't open any more presents and so miss some that offer extra stars, which are then lost in the daily reset so you don't pick up where you left off the next day. But if you use all your "regular" stars in a single session after collecting as many as you can, I think there's a much better chance of opening enough of the presents that give extra stars, which in turn allows you to light enough candles to get all the upgrades.

So it's barely possible to get all the needed upgrades but only by following a particular strategy, and that strategy isn't obvious. My eventual Beta success was dumb luck, that I happened to hit on the correct way to play it only after giving up all hope.

At the moment I'm playing the next event on Beta, the way I played it in the past, and so far it's touch and go - time will tell. If I find it's now too hard to win fully upgraded event buildings this aspect of the game may lose my interest.