• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Some noob questions regarding advancement and GBs

DeletedUser115027

Most of the advice I've seen for this game recommends not rushing through the tech tree and instead focusing on leveling GBs and developing your city. My question is, how do I know it's time? Is there a guide somewhere that details what you should aim to have before advancing to the next era?

Also, I've read the Arc is the most important GB and at some point it basically becomes impossible to progress without it. Should I just focus all my efforts on acquiring it ASAP? I have 1 BP so far, and on track to get 2 more from contribution, but its slow going atm as most of my friends and neighbours don't have it yet.

DeletedUser99692

There are many paths through the game these change as the game develops. The Arc great building was not released until after the game had been running for some years and the Future Era was released into the game. Players survived ok before then. Please base your game and great buildings around your style of play not someone else's.

DeletedUser99692

Just remember the game will try to push you to progress as will special events and historical quests.

vikingraider

Emperor
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in iron age currently, for GBs I only have a lvl 4 Zeus and lvl 2 LoA.

Screenshot_42.jpg

My IA city. Levelling my GB's before I advance

DeletedUser115027

What would you say are the benefits of staying in one age for so long? And what level are you aiming for on your GBs before you advance?

Agent327

Overlord
What would you say are the benefits of staying in one age for so long? And what level are you aiming for on your GBs before you advance?

Benefits are that you are strong in the age you are in and strong in the ages after that, until you reached the later era's. Then you find out that all that waiting has been in vain. It all depends on what you want to achieve in the game. If you want to make it to the end, you just move on. If you want to be a hero in a low age and miss out on a lot, than you stay there. Listen to twomsuk. vikingraider is an example of a playr that will bitterly disappointed once he has built up the nerve to try to reach the last era.

Vesiger

Monarch
I didn't get the blueprints for any GBs at all until well after the Iron Age, and I managed all right - I think most people in the game don't actually play the optimized game-the-system way recommended as an ideal by the experienced players.

I've never paid Forge Points to get goods for Great Buildings way outside my era, and I've never paid diamonds for blueprints; I've taken things as they come, and I've done well enough. You've got two useful GBs at an early stage of the game, so don't worry too much.

DeletedUser115027

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I will take it slow for now and try to gradually advance while following the storyline and event quests.

vikingraider

Emperor
Benefits are that you are strong in the age you are in and strong in the ages after that, until you reached the later era's. Then you find out that all that waiting has been in vain. It all depends on what you want to achieve in the game. If you want to make it to the end, you just move on. If you want to be a hero in a low age and miss out on a lot, than you stay there. Listen to twomsuk. vikingraider is an example of a playr that will bitterly disappointed once he has built up the nerve to try to reach the last era.

How do you know I haven't reached later era's on other worlds? I'm trying something different on this one.

Level 10 attack buildings, Level 80 Arc and Level 72 Chateau. I'll probably stay in IA age for a good while yet

DeletedUser112892

A bit late to the party, but here is my advice.
By camping in one age you give yourself huge amount of time to strenghten up yourself for next era. If you are fighter, focus on leveling up CoA, Zeus and CdM first. Alcatraz is also a huge benefit. You should also build St. Marks, as it's coin bonus is very useful.
Second path, rushing tech tree, is good when you plan it good,not to just run through ages.
Speaking about Arc, you can progress without it. However, when you level it up to lvl 80, your FP problems will be drastically lowered. Plus, you will be able to level up your other GBs much faster.

Agent327

Overlord
How do you know I haven't reached later era's on other worlds? I'm trying something different on this one.

Level 10 attack buildings, Level 80 Arc and Level 72 Chateau. I'll probably stay in IA age for a good while yet

I am camping in VF. Level 80 attack buildings, level 85 Arc and level 80 Chateau. Do you think you can still catch on, or will the difference only become bigger?

Emberguard

Legend
In Houndsmoor after a year I'm in Industrial age and only have GBs upto the age/era I'm in.

The measure I used was getting to the end of the current tech tree and then gathering 1k of each current age good before advancing. Had more or less 2 of each boosted goods building upto the most recent 3 ages.

Camping in VF. Never thought of that. See you there!
Is it really camping if that's the only option?

dimondus

Captain
Just remember the game will try to push you to progress as will special events and historical quests.
Not anymore. At least I haven't seen a quest that strictly require to unlock a technology or conquer a province for some time now.

DeletedUser97166

Personally I found an age I like and stayed there for awhile building goods and great buildings as well as troops from my traz before moving on. This worked for me personally but other players prefer to push through all the research and cont map so they don't have to worry about quests in events. Each person is different and you should play the game the way you want to.
If you do want to stay in a lower age and raise GBs, find a guild that will help you by giving you low FP contribution slots on their GBs so you can get the blue prints you need, and most guilds are happy to help with unfair trades to help you get GBs off the ground.

DeletedUser115027

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I have another question, what happens in Guild Expedition when you advance an age in the middle of the week? The encounters and rewards are based on your age, so will they change or stay the same?

DeletedUser112892

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I have another question, what happens in Guild Expedition when you advance an age in the middle of the week? The encounters and rewards are based on your age, so will they change or stay the same?
They will stay same during current GE week.
Then, when next GE comes, they will apply to your current age (the one when you aged up).