• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content Mobile Video Ads A/B Test II Feedback

RTSFirebat

Private
Inno I rarely log into the forums, but I sent a support ticket asking about this... Change and you asked for feedback. So here it is...

You expect someone who's paid money and supported your game for years to now watch some of the most cringy ads I've ever seen.

If I wanted to watch two poorly animated women dig out and make an underground garden of all things at warp speed I'd load up youtube kids on my kid's ipad.

Spolier alert, I don't!

I need to bleech my eyes!

Your changes are a joke and a insult to long time players.

And no I'm not paying nearly £28.99 a month for forge plus. My high speed broadband costs less!

Last edited:
I understand Inno is a business, not a charity ... and I have spent thousands with Inno over the years. I would purchase the Forge Plus package if it were priced more reasonably in AUD. But a monthly subscription that is triple what Netflix costs: No.

Now, lord help you if you tap the wrong icon in the Castle to collect your daily chest ... you cannot stop the ad. My city is littered with purple ad icons that offend me deeply.

I have pretty much stopped playing my Beta account because not only is the Android app so buggy it is appalling to play ... you expect me to not only test your game, but to suffer through ads as well. And now I have them here, on both my A and K worlds.

I love this game. I have made wonderful, amazing friends all over the world because of it. But if you continue down this path I will seriously think about my long term future as a customer with Inno.

I agree with most of the sentiments, regarding "Video Ads Are Coming To Forge Mobile". This has to be the most ridiculous, idiotic idea you've imposed on members. I am not ashamed to say that I have literally spent real cash on this game on a regular basis in addition to purchasing the "package" deal every month. Until recently from July '22, I 've decided to temporarily suspend purchasing. For starters, introducing an advertising based function tells me one thing. That you guys (I mean FoE) are obviously sourcing additional funding. Is it not enough that paying and loyal members that have stood by this game for so long suffer the ignominy of such an intrusive misguided concept? In addition these intrusive ad's not only slows the game down as we sit there and wait for the advert to complete before we can claim our rewards. I tell you this now, if this continues, that’s the last cent/cash you'll get from me. I mean I have literally spent lots on this game. Get rid of this stupid idea. Get back to how the game originally was. Otherwise you'll find members marching with their feet, where will this game be then??? It will get to this stage; you will not have enough members to justify the continuation of this game, do you really want this to happen???

Last edited:

pablomas

Private
I have been playing foe for about 4 years now and the ads are a complete turn off. If you expand the use of them you will lose a huge number of players and will become less attractive to new ones. Stop paying out money on useless advertising which must cost millions and rely on word of mouth from players like me which attracts a regular supply of new players at no cost to you at all.

Vesiger

Monarch
To be fair, I'm only actually playing this game at all because I saw an advert for it years ago in a freeware ad-funded app where you had to watch an obligatory advertisement every time it started up. I thought FoE sounded interesting, found that it was free and had good reviews, downloaded and tried it out, and the rest is history. So advertising undeniably does work...

First time posting after close to 4 years playing. Seriously irritated with the advertising chests! I’ve spent so much money buying diamonds in this game, thousands $$. Hell will freeze over before I purchase that stupid big waste of money FoE package to remove them, it’s insulting to players who spend real money and pay everyone’s wages. Maybe time to find a new game, won’t buy diamonds again until it’s removed.

Last edited:

Grim86

Private
Just to put things into a bit more perspective - to remove the ads I need to Pay £28.99 / month.
To repeat - JUST to remove ads with some marginal bonuses...

Here's the the price for a monthly subscription to Playstation Plus Premium - £13.49 / month (or £39.99 quarterly), and here's what I get:
  • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

I'm sorry Inno, but whoever you commercial team is, is clearly on a different planet. Gameforge tried this a while ago with a game called Battleknight & Tanoth - It did not work out. Greed is going to kill this game off, regardless of how big you think it is. Nothing is 'too big to fail' anymore, and as some other users have said, players will start walking away. If you're going to charge silly amounts of money, then you need to make it massively worthwhile and take into consideration what consumers will spend their disposable income on each month (which in the current climate is shrinking massively).

You've seriously miscalculated here - make your premium / forge plus whatever £5.99 / month with adds or £9.99 to remove all adds - that may generate teh revenue you want. Otherwise all servers will start to lose active players, and no one wants to pay £28.99 to be a premium player on a dead server...

Last edited:

Nalym

Private
Hello Inno,

thanks for this "wonderful" update.
I just really noticed it today because it looks like that before today who already bought diamonds (and I did) didn't see the big news, the ADs!
Now I (and many others apparently) have my game board polluted by video icons that I can't remove, if I open the tavern the first thing I see is a video icon that I can't remove, If I open the castle I see, guess what, a video icon that I can't remove and if I open the friend list I see not one, not two but three video icons that I can't remove, and those are to use a function that is so poorly implemented that it takes more time to aid all friends using the "mass aid" than to watch your funny (to use a word that starts with the same letter of another word that I would have used) ADs.
At least if you want to put a "mass aid" make it instant and add the taverns too... what is the use of a mass aid if you have to pass each and every friend to visit their taverns anyway?

So basically, as many others said, I have to pay something like 30€ to remove the funny ADs.
30€ per month.
For a browser/mobile game.
Netflix subscription costs less.
A broadband internet subscription costs less.
A 5G unlimited mobile connection costs less.
Playstation Plus Premium costs half your price.
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate costs less than half your price
Amazon Prime costs 1/10 and it includes free deliveries and Prime Video.
Not to say that PC online games with a subscription fee cost less than half than this price, offer way more content, took way more development effort compared to this browser game.
And I could go on.

Well no, thanks.
A rollback would be very welcome. For what I care you can remove your AD powered tavern buff, your AD powered incidents, your AD powered and poorly implemented mass aid, your AD powered double castle points (it will take years to reach the last castle level even with it).
Instead of adding features to "milk" the players, add something useful, something interesting. Something that will make the game better, not worse.

By the way, thank you for hosting Forge of Empires!

Sincerely,

Your ex player if you don't roll back this ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Palomia

Private
I too will not be buying any more diamonds if these ads continue and no way will I pay for ForgePlus. I really liked this game, but the screen littered with ads completely ruins it. You asked for feedback and all I see is negative, so that should give a sense of how people are feeling about this. Many will leave completely if it isn't reversed. There are plenty of other games out there. Thanks for spoiling things and please reconsider.

Inno, you need to listen to the players of FOE.

introducing ads to this game is taking it backwards. There are many games on the market, most of which have ads embedded within them. Most people will not play them because of the ads. Ads take the fun out of playing the game. No one likes these ads and further, players in their droves will be leaving FOE if these ads are introduced as a permanent addition to the game.

Why take an excellent game and make it appear like all the other cheap versions that are constantly bombarding people to buy or try?

Inno has a very special game here, one which is entertaining, full of strategy, challenges and gives people from all walks of life the opportunity to converse with others throughout the world.

Inno already has a highly successful recipe with FOE, so unless there are strong financial reasons for introducing ads to the game, the developers, marketers and management at Inno need to take a hard look at the reasons for introducing such an unpopular addition to FOE. Inno can already see how unpopular these ads are via forum comments and I am certain there are many players who haven’t made comments here who dislike these ads.

Inno, please roll back these iterations and leave an excellent game as it is. There is always room for improvement in any game but it shouldn’t be one that is forced upon the players, asks for money to remove ads and is extremely unpopular. If these ads are kept within FOE, it is obvious that the company will run the risk of becoming known as a second rate gaming organisation who has had to rely on ads to keep it afloat,

suggestions
1) ads to only start showing if you haven’t bought anything in last 3 months, and disappear immediately if you buy anything however small. Ads are strictly for free players you don’t make other money from.
2) ads to have a close without finishing button (ipad), so you can give up if it’s a particularly annoying one
3) ads to be different every time - drains your soul to watch the same one again and again for something you will never want. Mark ads as watched, and user can always skip or never see a watched ad (with credit) until you have a better one to show them
4) ads not to be attached to ‘unknowns’ like chests - infuriating to gamble on watching a rubbish ad and then get something you didn’t want
5) close button at end should have no timer or appear earlier (ipad), decision to engage with ad or not is already made way earlier (and is ‘no‘)
5) be aware the silent busy majority who hate this the most are the same people who don’t have time/inclination to work out a log in and give feedback so you are seeing a max bias towards ‘positive‘ at the moment

Mennolly

Private
This is the worst idea Inno has ever had. I have supported Inno by purchasing diamond packages at times now they want me to spend almost $50 a month to remove the ads. I cant think of any subscription service which is anywhere near that cost. This has the capacity to spoil the game completely. I don't play FoE to watch stupid ads. I have enjoyed and supported this game for many years but while these ads are in the game, I won't buy another diamond package. Inno, you need to think very carefully about this ad plan as I have no doubt you will lose players.

@Katesha, just so i'm clear, when you refer to a Forge Plus Package, what are you referring to? Any diamond packages or a special Counselor Package? I have personally spent thousands of pounds on both mobile (iOS) and browser but never anything other than diamonds.

Thanks for your help.