New Content Great Building Attachments in the Messaging System

Discussion in 'Announcement Discussions' started by Sovereign, Oct 8, 2017.

1. fefalas

fefalas Corporal

It would be nice if it was possible to link to GB's of other people. I usually make a guild wide thread when someone builds a new gb to help it get up being able to actually link to the gb would be super usefull

2. vikingraider1

vikingraider1 Brigadier-General

It's a good idea but not implemented right re; shortchanging. Hopefully inno will listen.......______:hide:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 6:25 PM
  3. Vesiger

Vesiger Lieutenant-General

If you call it an attachment to a message, then there should be an actual typed message for it to attach to - the current feature is actually a post on its own, which has its uses but would be more useful if it were at least optionally possible to add accompanying text.
    And as I said before, it actually makes it harder to type normal messages not using this feature, because the button obscures part of what you just typed...

Gondour and Dane thorson like this.
  4. Dane thorson

Dane thorson Lieutenant Colonel

Vesiger is right - the enhancement does not work as promoted. You should be able to write text AND add the link to your GB in a message. For example in a guild swap thread - you want the next swap to level your GB not wait for you to add the owners point then you should be able to write it just like we used to - now you need to send 2 messages...

Vesiger is also right - the button in the text box obscures the text you are typing on PC as well as app

Vesiger and Gondour like this.
  5. Gratski

Gratski Private

First impression: I'm totally impressed! This new feature is simple to use and effective in getting players directly to your chosen GB for FP swaps, etc.
    Improvement opportunity: When used in FP Swap threads, I would prefer that the initially posted Attachment values did not update to the post-swap values once the message is closed. Retaining the GB's FP values as posted would assist post-swap auditing ... sadly, there are still some players who 'forget' to settle their swaps.

Aside from this - an absolute winner. Bring on the Trades attachments!

Gondour likes this.
  6. Gratski

Gratski Private

I agree - I expected that my message would be posted with the selected attachment following in the message but was disappointed that this can only be acheived by a two-step process ... post message first, then post attachment ... not quite as slick as hoped.

Gondour likes this.
  7. Sovereign

Sovereign FoE Team Community Manager

First point I'll feedback, thanks :)

Second is a bug which is already reported.

Vesiger, Gratski and Bridgeman55 like this.
  8. Andrew Kinslaughter

Andrew Kinslaughter Private

I like this feature, but as it is so quick to use it has led to some mix ups as some GB's get double aided as my guild has quite busy swap threads.

Would it be possible to have some type of "I am aiding" that you could click on the attachment that would grey out if pressed? This would stop double aiding, although I do understand it would be more of a "nice to have" function

9. Allen the Friend

Allen the Friend Private

Post first, then aid the GB listed directly above yours in the thread.

10. Andrew Kinslaughter

Andrew Kinslaughter Private

Yes, I know that. But when there are busy periods, 2 people have pressed the "Attachment" button, so both appear at the same time below the one they want to add to.

Easier would be if the actual "Attachment" feature would grey out if someone is placing their GB they want FP's on . If they then close the window without adding their GB on, the "Attachment" button would become live again so not to derail the

11. Allen the Friend

Allen the Friend Private

And if they both press the Attachment at the same time? Same problem.

If a race condition is a problem as you describe, it can be overcome by
    1) Posting your GB
    2) Exiting the thread
    3) Entering the thread
    4) Adding FPs to the GB listed directly above your posted GB.

As each message has a unique ID, and the messages in the thread are sorted by message ID, there is no possibility of incorrect ordering of messages at that point, thereby each GB will get its due donation.

12. dragonsden86

dragonsden86 Private

We have been testing this system in Beta for the last 3 weeks. There have been complaints from the beginning. You cannot track and stop short changing in FP thread as the post defaults to latest status, even in the previous posts making tracking impossible. I put the current FP total in brackets as an audit post it and then straight after add the GB attachment. In this way I have the total before FP's were added. It is not ideal but it works.

13. SirFrancis

SirFrancis Private

You don't have to leave the thread. I've seen a post from someone else pop up as I was posting before.

Vesiger likes this.