• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disgusted by whale oil plant :(

DeletedUser653

I'm sorry if this makes it worse, but (when you look at a whaling place in action) it really looks like that guys is trying to take a bite out of the whale :/

Or is he hitting his head in disgust at what he about to do!!!

Personally I have no issue with it despite the fact that I do support anti whaling for many whale species. Further, there's nothing but good coming out from this in that its highlighting the problem to many kids that had no idea it was an issue. So please do not remove the whales or the building, let it stand as a message to all about our past and that we can control our future. So no changes please.

DeletedUser

let it stand as a message to all about our past and that we can control our future. So no changes please.

Some people still refer to it as a thing of our past but this is still happening very much in the present, but in the context of the game (in this case the Industrial Age) I agree it is important not to ignore certain aspects of our history and hopefully learn something from that history that will have a positive influence on our future. This content depicts that history without being unduly offensive to most, so imho no changes are needed.

DeletedUser3707

The game creators hid all evidence of mass genocides, and industrialized slavery... so why not whaling?

DeletedUser

He could just be bowing his head in thanks and respect for all the other seal, dolphin, and other aquatics he no longer had to slaughter because he was happy he didn't have to hunt for a while thanks to his bountiful harvest of whale. I don't condone any type of mass killing of any species whether it be aquatic, land or air based. Our very existence as humans has been relied upon by harvesting animal and plant life throughout previous, existing, and future history. Unless we all succumb to eating through feeding tubes or something else in the future. That's the way it is and I am glad this game reflects some of that. I'd rather eat whale blubber than a feeding tube any day. You? How about a corny joke? 2 guys walk into a bar. I thought the second one would've ducked:)

DeletedUser

Whale oil pretty much made the industrial revolution possible. The peak of whale oil production is in 1by1 correlation with the years of industrial era, it is likely the most symbolic good of the era being one the most prominent businesses back then. This is a historic game and human history is so rich that I'm sure anyone can find something to take offense in nowadays as we have so much a different perspective now.

Actually, if you really know your history, kerosene, steal, and electricity made the industrial revolution possible, especially steal. Whale oil, while a very prominantly used resource, had almost nothing to do with the developement of large scale industry. See, jd rockefeller, ** morgan and andrew carnegie.

DeletedUser1081

I agree with the posters who would like to opt out of the "whale deposit" if they're offended by the concept and/or graphics. I'm another one who got that deposit, and although I've managed to hide the building I'd rather not have to have it at all. No one is forced to have gallows and guillotines, if they're offended by them, and although it was hard to get along without tanners and butchers, at least those buildings weren't festooned with animals hanging up for gutting.

If allowing people to trade in an unwanted "whale deposit" is too difficult, there are other possible industries that could replace whaling. Steel. Opium. Tennis, even :cool:

DeletedUser4906

Actually, if you really know your history, kerosene, steal, and electricity made the industrial revolution possible, especially steal. Whale oil, while a very prominantly used resource, had almost nothing to do with the developement of large scale industry. See, jd rockefeller, ** morgan and andrew carnegie.

I think you'll find that large-scale industry, ie:- "Industrial Revolution" happened/created in England & had absolutely nothin' to do with Americans at all, we led & the world followed.:)

DeletedUser5514

Was the whaling industry that important, to make it into the game? Arent there other more relevant industries from industrial age than whaling? Well, maybe coal extraction (thus the huge polution problems in many industrial cities - smoke fogs), railroad construction, steel production, steam power, large scale manufacturing,...

Check this for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution#Major_technological_developments

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think you'll find that large-scale industry, ie:- "Industrial Revolution" happened/created in England & had absolutely nothin' to do with Americans at all, we led & the world followed.:)

lol, good luck with that theory Mozzer, and where were the first large scale oil refineries and steel mills, hmmm let me see. Although, since Carnegie was Scottish, i guess you can get credit some of that.
Oh, and i almost forgot, who started using assembly lines in factories to help with large scale production and, that would be Henry Ford, lol.

DeletedUser4906

lol, good luck with that theory Mozzer, and where were the first large scale oil refineries and steel mills, hmmm let me see. Although, since Carnegie was Scottish, i guess you can get credit some of that.
Oh, and i almost forgot, who started using assembly lines in factories to help with large scale production and, that would be Henry Ford, lol.

Not theory my friend, fact!
I didn't realise Henry Ford made cars during The Industrial Revolution either.
Assembly Lines are common sense if your a big producer, not really invented were they....
What about Rockerfella & his chum Morgan?........Did nothin' except invest money which they learnt from the Rothchild's who were/are English & own more than anyone realises.
They saw you had to speculate to accumulate.
Sheffield in England was the largest producer of Steel in the world at said time for a period, the technology was developed here as the Empire needed to put infra-structure like railways etc into various parts of the world.

No doubt the US want an Empire now, but the Brit's showed the world how it's done, if we had had a country the size of the US at the time who knows how the world would be....

I believe the Americans talk English...mmm, where did that come from I wonder?

But each to there own, let us just agree to disagree my fine fellow.:cool:

Amy Steele

General
Not theory my friend, fact!
...I didn't realise Henry Ford made cars during The Industrial Revolution either.

Depends whether you are talking first Industrial Revolution (C.1760-1830) largely centered on England/the UK, or the second (began c. 1850) and much more centered on the US.

DeletedUser

I'd say you generally take the first instance of a type of revolution as later instances of it probably derive from the initial one. A simple case of 'it worked there so why not here?'
As an aside, if you watched the London Olympic opening ceremony, a large part of it was dedicated to the Industrial Revolution culminating in the forging of one of the rings.

DeletedUser4906

I'd say you generally take the first instance of a type of revolution as later instances of it probably derive from the initial one. A simple case of 'it worked there so why not here?'
As an aside, if you watched the London Olympic opening ceremony, a large part of it was dedicated to the Industrial Revolution culminating in the forging of one of the rings.

Thanks Brahminator, generally speaking whenever one talks of the Industrial Revolution it's always in the first & I believe the only instance because as the age went on it just grew as a whole as the technologies were learnt & mastered by other nations.
But defo started in Good Old Blighty....:cool:

Amy Steele

General

Oh I did! I ought at this point to say that I am from the UK myself, despite my occasional lapse into US spellings - the result of chatting so much with US friends on IM. As to my feelings about Whale Oil - I am currently in LMA and must count myself among those who sincerely hope they do not get the Whale Oil boost. (Though my feeling is that just because you have a boost does not necessarily mean you have to produce the good).

DeletedUser

I think this whole thread is pitiful - it was a simple fact of life which produced for you girlies "Lipstick", amongst other things. But then, what is this game about anyway - oh yes, city building and the creation in different stages of life, with a bit of war thrown in!! You don't mind war then, but the poor little whales, no way!!

I hope horse-meat comes in the next era, or lets go farther afield to include dogs, cats and anything else! How the hell do you think we have lived so long.

Amy Steele

General
I think this whole thread is pitiful - it was a simple fact of life which produced for you girlies "Lipstick", amongst other things. But then, what is this game about anyway - oh yes, city building and the creation in different stages of life, with a bit of war thrown in!! You don't mind war then, but the poor little whales, no way!!

I hope horse-meat comes in the next era, or lets go farther afield to include dogs, cats and anything else! How the hell do you think we have lived so long.

Actually I am a trader and usually even negotiate my way through the provinces.* Oh! And I have never worn lipstick (or any other make-up), but I agree that whaling was a big part of life at that particular time and in no way as unacceptable as now.

EDIT: * Which is why I am in LMA and still working towards my 200 medal expansion!

Oh! Off-topic I know, but I may not be building any Tobacco Plantations either (non-smoker and the close association between the Tobacco industry of the period and the slave trade)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

A heads up, posts 90-95 were all off-topic... if you wish to discuss the Industrial Revolution, or who came up with what first, go to Soap Box and start a thread. Please try and keep posts on topic!

DeletedUser1081

... the Rothchild's who were/are English

German Jews, actually. Nathan Rothschild, who established the UK-based branch of the family, was one of five brothers from Frankfurt, each of whom established business "dynasties" in different European countries. Interesting family.

DeletedUser

Ok well back to whaling.

I feel there is a difference between historical accuracy in a game, strategic options in a game, and personal feelings on real life ideologies.

If something was historically done, I have no problem with it being depicted. If this game included human sacrifice from the Aztecs then I wouldn't have an issue - it was a real thing, a culture that an entire civilisation followed. Likewise with Whaling and any other 'controversial' ideas. People don't seem to have a problem with The Pyramids yet they were made by slave labour. In my view there is a chronology of events and ideologies which civilisations go through, the successful civilisations retain and improve the best ideologies. Much of our opinions are hindsight driven. We look back on things and wonder how we ever were like that - I daresay that generations in the future will look back on our current ways of life (in all countries) and wonder too how we thought it was fine. Perhaps it will be our unsustainable use of plastic products which we bury in landfill, or our tolerance of poverty of vast sections of people or overuse of antibiotics.

This is a game and if you feel uncomfortable with something that was historically done then don't use it, but I don't think the game producers should whitewash history for today's sensibilities. It's only by understanding how things were actually done in the past, that we can improve on what we ourselves are doing today.