• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disgusted by whale oil plant :(

DeletedUser15425

I'm not in the Industrial age yet but several of my guild members are, so I've noticed that one of the new goods in the IA is whale oil... I would like an explanation from the makers of the game as to how come you've decided to put this disgusting factory in the game... please don't reply that "it's just a game and get over it", because yes I know that it's a game. but I also don't see why it should advertise the barbaric and unnecessary whale killing which animal protectors are trying to ban all over the world... even if it is a historic fact, I'm certain there could have been many other goods that you could have picked instead of whale oil. I can't imagine having a whale plant in my town and seeing the two dead whales hanging from the hook or whatever it is in front of the building... I strongly dislike this. rsvp?

DeletedUser1094

In the 19th and early 20th century, whale-oil was a huge world-wide industry. FoE simply depicts the history.
Had it been implemented in a later era (modern age), I would have agreed with you... it would have been wrong...both historically and ethically.

DeletedUser3157

Whale oil pretty much made the industrial revolution possible. The peak of whale oil production is in 1by1 correlation with the years of industrial era, it is likely the most symbolic good of the era being one the most prominent businesses back then. This is a historic game and human history is so rich that I'm sure anyone can find something to take offense in nowadays as we have so much a different perspective now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser15425

yeah. well I'm glad you guys took the time to reply. thanks.it's just so sad to see them hanging there :(

DeletedUser

It is important to accuratly portray industry and views of the time being depicted and not ignore it becuase it casues 'offence' or is now idenfied as wrong intoday's society today. If that was the case many of this games fetaures would never have been enacted - such the 'colonial age' and Tobacco plantations, symbols slavery and tragic human failings.

By airbrushing the difficult, awkward or plainly wrong and tragic but very important parts of collective human history we are doomed to repeat our misatkes. Don't fall foul of censorship FOE team and keep up the good work

DeletedUser

I feel I don't have anything to add to the arguments made by the previous posters (thanks guys!). While FoE is not "accurate history" I'm always trying to bring a certain "feel" of the era I'm portraying into the game, without going overboard, of course (e.g. there's no "slave trade" technology in the Colonial Age). Still, as Eru said, history isn't all fairy tale castles and Merrie England - and sometimes this fact needs to shine through. And hopefully some (especially younger) players leave the game with their interest in history slightly heightened.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser

At least they didn't put a quest about killing the native by giving them small pox.

DeletedUser

In honor of this thread, I give you my favorite whaling song:

Blow ye Winds in the Morning

'Tis advertised in Boston, New York, and Buffalo:
Five hundred brave Americans a-whalin' for to go.

Chorus:
Singing Blow ye winds in the morning,
Blow ye winds, high-ho!
Clear away your runnin' gear,
And blow, boys, blow!

They send you to New Bedford, that famous whaling port,
And give you to some land sharks to board and fit you out.
Chorus
They send you to a boardin' house, there for a time to dwell;
The thieves there they are thicker than the other side of Hell.
Chorus
They tell you of the clipper ships a-runnin' in and out,
And say you'll take five hundred sperm before you're six months out.
Chorus
And now we're out to sea, my boys, the wind comes on to blow;
One-half the watch is sick on deck, the other half below.
Chorus
The skipper's on the quarterdeck a-squintin' at the sails,
When up aloft the lookout spots a mighty school of whales.
Chorus
Then lower down the boats, my boys, and after him we'll travel,
But if you get too near his tail, he'll kick you to the Devil.
Chorus
When we've caught a whale, my boys, we'll bring 'im alongside,
Then over with our blubber-hooks and rob him of his hide.
Chorus
When we get home, our ship made fast, when we get through our sailin',
A brimming glass around we'll pass, and damn this blubber whalin'.
Chorus

DeletedUser15425

I think we all accept that whaling is a part of history. but did the design of the whale oil factory really have to be that explicit? there really is no need for dead whales hanging outside and I believe we're mostly disturbed by that -the design. after all, there is no dead pig hanging outside the butcher's either. although we all know what happens inside all of our factories and plants, it doesn't need to be THAT obvious.

DeletedUser

I would like an explanation from the makers of the game as to how come you've decided to put this disgusting factory in the game... please don't reply that "it's just a game and get over it", because yes I know that it's a game. but I also don't see why it should advertise the barbaric and unnecessary whale killing which animal protectors are trying to ban all over the world...

I'd like to know how you've decided that this an advertisement of any kind or linked in anyway to whatever practice/campaign that take place now days?

Which reminds me, my nephew game. He plays in one of the many open world games, where he can slaughter everything that moves, from wildlife to dogs and horses, and obviously human parts flying everywhere, dismembered in every imaginable way. Recently the game got criticized for adding whale hunting to the mix and all I could do is mental facepalm. I support the removal of unnecessary barbaric practices but I see protests in such context completely pointless. I really hope it some kind of misguided campaign to generate publicity "for the cause" and not just the new mindless fashion.

DeletedUser5514

I'd like to know how you've decided that this an advertisement of any kind or linked in anyway to whatever practice/campaign that take place now days?

Which reminds me, my nephew game. He plays in one of the many open world games, where he can slaughter everything that moves, from wildlife to dogs and horses, and obviously human parts flying everywhere, dismembered in every imaginable way. Recently the game got criticized for adding whale hunting to the mix and all I could do is mental facepalm. I support the removal of unnecessary barbaric practices but I see protests in such context completely pointless. I really hope it some kind of misguided campaign to generate publicity "for the cause" and not just the new mindless fashion.

You might not believe this, but such type of games can very easily manipulate kids minds... they can easily lose track on reality thus being able to do really terrible things.

DeletedUser

'Such types of games' are a topic for another day, here it was used to put things into perspective, lets not loose track of that... More specifically in our case, as noted in previous posts this industry is appropriate and accurate in the historical context.

DeletedUser6514

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody would make this post...

Make sure you don't visit my town anytime soon, I'm about to build 3 of them :cool:

DeletedUser11136

I'm not in the Industrial age yet but several of my guild members are, so I've noticed that one of the new goods in the IA is whale oil... I would like an explanation from the makers of the game as to how come you've decided to put this disgusting factory in the game... please don't reply that "it's just a game and get over it", because yes I know that it's a game. but I also don't see why it should advertise the barbaric and unnecessary whale killing which animal protectors are trying to ban all over the world... even if it is a historic fact, I'm certain there could have been many other goods that you could have picked instead of whale oil. I can't imagine having a whale plant in my town and seeing the two dead whales hanging from the hook or whatever it is in front of the building... I strongly dislike this. rsvp?

First off, I support many humane society endeavors from dogs to cats and yes, even whales. I am completely against cruelty to any animal. Although I have a soft spot in my heart for said animals I do not share the same fondness for folks who write posts such as yours. I have become completely fed up with people who waive their self righteous flag of malcontent claiming that everything in the world is somehow malicious in every unimaginable way. Yes, you have a right to be outraged that this was a part of our world history that was barbaric. Yes, you can be upset that it is somewhat accurately depicted in this game. What you dont have a right to do is come to a forum and demand explanations why they are found in this game.

Yes, I am going to say it. This is a game. How about letting those of us who enjoy as such do so.

My original reply was edited by a forum moderator as it contained a link to a webiste where your complaints would do more good. I encorage you to google Japanese whaling. You will find an organization that is behind the slaughter of thousands of whales each year. Thats right, present day.

DeletedUser

Interesting the slaughter of whales is a moot point here but there is a gallows and a guilatine in the game i.e. capital punishment and not a squeek from anyone, you can't complain about one thing and not another as we are animals ourselves. It whats gets me about animal rights activists and people who complain when they are tucking into their chicken sandwich or beef stew with no thought about where that came from or how it was "processed"

DeletedUser653

I think the guy by the whale is not enjoying his job at all and all he seems to do is bang his head on the whale in disgust at what he is doing! Perhaps not all whalers back then was in favor of killing whales!!

DeletedUser276

Here is my personal thoughts.... and yes these are mine not the companies ;)

Complaining about something like the whaling building and the whales hanging up there is just a tad bit over dramatic. I mean when you have calvary or mounted archers on the battlefield and when the unit dies the horses fall over dead are another example of the same thing. There are few and far between games that have little to no violence in them at all. While I dont condone myself graphic violence I also come to accept that its the social norm nowadays for games and I personally try to stick to less violent and gory games which are becoming all the rage.

Anyways.. complaining about the whales and not the horses on the battlefield makes no sense. Its like complaining of a hangnail when your fingers chopped off. Its just one point of the whole.

DeletedUser10272

Don't forget that when players notice the whaling station, they might too in fact find it revolting enough to question such activities going on in the present, real world.
I just don't see how this advertises for the 'barbaric' practice more than against, despite the commodity being required to unlock a technology or two.

Take consolation in the easter event, which definitely should fill you with fancy bunnyrabbit love!

DeletedUser

I'm disgusted by people who want to deny the possible mistakes of the past.

P.S. that meaning especially the censorship..