• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disgusted by whale oil plant :(

DeletedUser

It seems to me the best solution would be to make the Whale plant a diamond supply option rather than a virtual necessity for players since there are many who are offended by it. Talking about "reality" is something of a red herring, or maybe whale, as the game has so many other "unreal" features in city construction that using that for the basis of defense for the Whale Plant clearly isn't going to work as an argument in itself. One can't, for just one example, readily claim that a given city was more likely to need whaling than a printing press, yet the printing press is optional and the whale plant close to a necessity for those lucky or unlucky enough to have to come up as a resource. Either move it to a diamond extra or even just make it a supply plant that players could then choose not to acquire if it offends them. And let's not turn this into a "right or wrong" issue about being offended, those who are have good reasons for not liking it and those who aren't can justify their reasons as well.

DeletedUser

C'mon now, let's not further derail the thread by implication. I did want to add that even at the height of the whaling era, pre-1860s, most of the rendering of blubber into oil was done aboard ships since whales were too big to transport whole. The exceptions being when whales could be driven ashore or caught in close to towns. So as a building, it isn't necessarily the best representation of the whaling industry in any case. (That's my understanding coming from the US history of whaling, perhaps parts of Europe differed significantly in that regard?)

Even if it stands could be potentially improved by getting rid of the hanging whales in front of it and thus limit the "offense factor" somewhat as it is considerably different in look than the other good buildings we've had so far. Maybe something like people stirring big vats of oil and/or small sections of blubber about instead of the whole creatures hanging there would help.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Slavery was not offensive to slave owners, either.

I'm not a slaver, and I've never killed a whale nor eaten whale meat, nor used whale oil, nor owned any scrimshaw. If we were discussing the actual practice of whaling, in the 21st century, then that would be a different thing. But we're not. This thread is about the fact that some people are offended, and some are not, by a picture of a whale oil plant. That picture is constructed of ones and zeroes.

So please get off your high horse. It's a picture. No whales were harmed in the creation of that picture.

DeletedUser6838

It's fun to look at the guy squeezing the whale hoping that the oil will flow out of its mouth :D.

Whalery is still done nowadays and not as a illegal business, but as 100% legal in certain arctic areas. All the perfumes and expensive cosmetics are made from whale oil and fat, lamp oil is made of whale oil. Many nowadays products you use everyday contain whale oil without you noticing. Is it brutality if a lion takes out a zebra? Is it brutality that a cat catches rats? it's the exact same thing. Just like the big era of dinosaurs came to an end so will once the whales find an end, that's just how things go, the natural way of order, may it be by the hand of nature or human kind.

Honestly, most associations that claim to protect the "rights" of animals are mostly made for high income of donations in order to get wealthy for nothing just like those green people with their green house conspiracy all over. Yes they may do some act of kind from time to time just to show that they actually do something, but it's all kept to minimal.

In the end, we are all animals, wether you like it or not.

DeletedUser

green house conspiracy ?

--
Btw, wouldn't this thread work better in the offtopic section?

DeletedUser6838

green house conspiracy ?

You know, green people claiming that all the fumes from cars til factories are the cause for green house effect, but in reality it's just a natural phenomenon, which is due to the periodical change of earths trajectory around the sun. Effect of developing machinery, factories, etc, is only close to 1% on it.

DeletedUser

You probably should use the term "greenhouse"(like greenhouse gases) to avoid confusion, because your "green people" probably like their "houses green".

DeletedUser

Darn it , all this whale talk has got me craving a big fish sandwitch. Why can't I get a big whale steak at the market ? Maybe a little baby seal veal. If it's not clear I have no problem with the whale oil building, but bleeding heart tree huggers make me sick.

DeletedUser15344

You know, a lot of animal rights organisations are not exactly rolling in money – hence why most of them are registered as charities. Some of these organisations are genuinely doing some good, and making sure species like the whales don’t go extinct. As mentioned above whale oil is still well used even today, and as odd as it sounds animal rights organisations are helping keep that valuable resource available for the future. (Of course, there are also some less than helpful animal rights movements out there too).

Now I’m heavily opposed to the unnecessary hunting of animals (fox hunting, for example, is done for sport). However if the animal being hunted and killed is actually going to be used – eaten and / or used for products etc. – then that animal has not died in vain. With the animal rights groups pressing on the hunting it creates intelligent and logical hunting, which should prevent us hunting the animals to extinction.

While the whale plant is somewhat distasteful in this day and age, it is correct for the age. I personally don’t see it as offensive, but I can understand why some people do.

DeletedUser

Hello everyone,

This is a friendly reminder to keep your posts in this thread on-topic. :)
Please, keep in mind that in case the discussion veers towards an off-topic direction again, the thread will be closed.

DeletedUser1009

Darn it , all this whale talk has got me craving a big fish sandwitch. Why can't I get a big whale steak at the market ? Maybe a little baby seal veal. If it's not clear I have no problem with the whale oil building, but bleeding heart tree huggers make me sick.

McDonalds is having McWhale Filet Sandwich sale starting April 1.

DeletedUser

I don't know about you guys, but I play this game because I learn so much about history. For example, this game taught me that agriculture didn't emerge until the iron age.

DeletedUser

I don't know about you guys, but I play this game because I learn so much about history. For example, this game taught me that agriculture didn't emerge until the iron age.

You can't forget about the Fruit Farm. That's technically agriculture.

Honestly I would prefer to have them looking like this, rather than some filtered down version.
If i do get it, then I will build one or two of the factories, but I'll hope for a different one.

DeletedUser

I made myself a sandwich and i put in there whale oil instead of butter toast this morning, then i saw this thread and i decided i'll eat sandwiches with whale oil not only in the morning. :o

In other words, i think it is totally acceptable to represent the reality as it was... as long as no one makes me eat another whale oil sandwich.

DeletedUser6065

I made myself a sandwich and i put in there whale oil instead of butter toast this morning, then i saw this thread and i decided i'll eat sandwiches with whale oil not only in the morning. :o

In other words, i think it is totally acceptable to represent the reality as it was... as long as no one makes me eat another whale oil sandwich.
Only one word necessary in reply - Lutefisk. Now let's see you top that! ! . . . . . . . . mk

DeletedUser

You can't forget about the Fruit Farm. That's technically agriculture.
I guess it depends on what he associates with agriculture the most, because technically the agricultural revolution came before the iron age, but who counts ;)

Only one word necessary in reply - Lutefisk. Now let's see you top that! ! . . . . . . . . mk
*scratches his head* *reads Wikipedia* hmm... I love fish but I guess this is some kind of scandinavian thing I am not privy to :/

DeletedUser7719

I'm sorry if this makes it worse, but (when you look at a whaling place in action) it really looks like that guys is trying to take a bite out of the whale :/