• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Chat feature discussion thread

DeletedUser15108

I am currently unable to use the chat feature. Like others, I get the repeated "disconnected" messages, and when trying to chat I get the error "the chat is not available due to your firewall or a bad connection." I've checked my firewall and it's set to allow port 8080 traffic. What gives? Currently using Firefox.

DeletedUser

I was told by a player earlier this morning that he was having repeated DISCONNECTED messages in the chat, and that after clearing his browser cache he was able to use the chat properly.

I have no idea why that would help in this situation, but if it works for some, it might be something to try.

DeletedUser15108

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately this did not work for me.. I have Firefox set to clear cache automatically when closed, and just for good measure I cleared it manually with no effect to my chat problem. :(

Update: I tried with IE9 *shudders*, no luck there either.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8813

Yes Chat works Perfectly on Firefox (32 bit) but it will not work on WaterFox and Google Chrome (for me). but im going to use Waterfox anyway because firefox 32 bit crashes a lot.

Edit: is there anyway to make chat works with Waterfox ?

i am using waterfox and it is working fine for me....:)

DeletedUser

I experienced a 'War' between my Waterfox and Firefox yesterday. My worlds would not load, even from this site (FoE - The Game). Total Black-out; no load bar, nothing!! I would click waterfox to begin my session, but the Firefox would default and not allow the waterfox to load. So, in desperation, I loaded up Internet Explorer and it is much better now. At least only one page crashes at a time.

I will have more time tomorrow to work out the firefox/waterfox conflict - but, to be honest, I am happier with Internet Explorer =p

(Poor Devs...)

DeletedUser11207

Still no luck with the chat here, just a long list of DISCONNECTEDs.

DeletedUser276

I see you in the nieghborhood chat alot... though not talking... just sitting logged in. Then logout after 5 mins or so. So the system is taking you.

(yes I am in your neighborhood :P )

DeletedUser11207

I see you in the nieghborhood chat alot... though not talking... just sitting logged in. Then logout after 5 mins or so. So the system is taking you.

(yes I am in your neighborhood :P )

Well I don't see you in my neighbourhood, but then I guess as admin you'll have ways of accessing them.

And that's a great feature then, the Chat. I can't use it, but others can get the pattern of my login times. Wonderful.

/sarcasm

DeletedUser

I've attempted to use chat on IE, chrome, and opera, and I have the same thing happen with all 3 browsers: connected-disconnected-connected-disconnected etc

drdexi

Private
Connected - disconnected - Connected - disconnected, few lines of chat than again Connected - disconnected.
Is there any chance to make this work in more reasonable way like to actually see the messages not the left/join log?
Especially for neighborhood and guild chat?

DeletedUser5406

I love the new chat, i have made a lot of new friends :D
its just annoyoing being disconnected so often...:mad:

DeletedUser

The guild chat needs a roster, otherwise it's no better (actually worse, since there is no persistency) than the regular messaging service, that we currently use for casual discussions with guild members.

Also, the error message "THE CHAT IS NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO YOUR FIREWALL OR A BAD CONNECTION" would be way more helpful if it actually mentioned the ports that are blocked by the firewall.

this should really be taken in consideration, guild chat should run in background even when the chat window is closed or on another channel, so when you open the window (or switch to global/network) you don't miss out on the conversation

DeletedUser

I love the chat feature! As a long term addict of chatrooms I always felt it was what FoE was missing. It's helped me gained a lot of friends and made the game even more interesting as there are people to chat with. Obviously there are issues around crashing and disconnecting - can't say I've suffered with crashing, but I do end up being disconnected a fair few times. The only major issue I find with it though is that when I'm fighting I have to minimise it to see all the opponent's units thus missing parts of the conversation, so I agree with previous comments about it being placed possibly at the bottom in line with the social bar or having it as a floating chat box so we can place it where best fits. Also the notifs for members of the guild/neighbourhood can be irritating, if it could be changed so the tabs would only flash if someone said something that would be great!

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
The chat is missing chatting between friends ...I think / feel the global chat is unnecessary for a game based chat where I have seen people talking all useless and obscene stuff.... i feel it takes the main purpose of and concentration from the game.... instead we can add a friends chat which will benefit the player IN the game also and will have less of nuisances now currently happening in the global chat... so if people want to chat / make friends globally let them make them friends in the game first and if found inappropriate can cancel them anytime ....

DeletedUser7719

I think we need a Guild Chat!
You mean the third tab on the chat page?
I don't have these disconnected problems. I spend about 2 hours when I want to chat; how long are you guys taking?

DeletedUser15170

Oops never noticed those tabs. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser3157

Right now chat feature is not used either in my guilld or naberhood. It was the problems with joining it and the constant spam of he/she joined that made it unattractive. I would recommend making it possible to ignore join/part msges and making it possible to drag the chat box larger or even option of having it open in new window(right now max size takes up only about 1/3 of the vertical space in my screen and contains only about dozen lines until I need to scroll).

DeletedUser

It might become more useful when the guild wars start and people will need to coordinate actions... or so I hope it will happen.