• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Chat feature discussion thread

DeletedUser12086

This is a feedback thread for the new chat feature:

Dear lords and ladies,

Today we're really excited to announce the launch of the highly anticipated new chat feature in Forge of Empires!

In the top right corner of your screen you'll now notice a new chat icon. Clicking it will open the chat window.

UJMOn3H.png

The chat features three chat modes - a global chat, where all players in a world can gather to talk about world happenings; a neighborhood chat, for you to meet and greet the players you interact with on a daily basis; and a guild chat, where you can exchange gossip, hints and tips with your guildmates.

To switch chat modes, simply click one of the icons in the tabs to the left of the chat text area.

There is also a whisper mode to send private messages to other players. To send a whisper, click the name of a player in the chat screen and you will be presented with a whisper option, plus options to report or ignore a player.

We hope you like the new chat, and we're looking forward to seeing you ingame.

Thank you for supporting Forge of Empires.

All the best,
The Forge of Empires team

DeletedUser

I had a problem where it keeps saying something is wrong with my connection or firewall. Does anyone know how to fix the prolem?

DeletedUser12086

If you're receiving a message about a firewall blocking the chat, you possibly need to adjust your firewall settings, or if you play from a public place or workplace, it may be blocked there too.

The chat runs on port 8080, so you should check that this isn't being blocked by your firewall.

DeletedUser9070

Nifty but could of been placed on the bottom right and size adjustable up/down and left/right (anchored up to the social bar for example).

One thing I find absurd is the neighbourhood notifications of join/leave, it is kind of a giveaway for your enemies to know that you are no longer present..
Apart from that good job I guess =)

DeletedUser

Question! I see there is an ignore feature. Is it just for the chat or can ignoring someone block in game messages and/or trade offers?

DeletedUser

As I said in another Thread before this one was started..... the positioning of the Chat is lousy :( When it is open it covers the Happy indicator Icon on the right of the screen and even resizing it to its smallest form doesn't allow both the Happy Indicator and the chat to be visible at the same time. Another option would be to allow it to be draggable so we can position it where WE want on screen or even allow it to be opened in a separate window/tab if desired.

As Xerk said GREAT feature which imho will prove invaluable but its been put in the wrong place :)

SHELOB

DeletedUser

I have two comments. First can we make the chat box detachable and able to be placed anywhere on screen? Second it has made the flash memory leak and crash problem about 5x worse than before. Whatever changed this morning has now caused me to have 10 crashes and I'm not done my hood yet. I generally can get through hood with 2-3 crashes.

DeletedUser9070

Also the tabs need to be more noticeable when something has been "said" / written, disable that glow when a player join/leave chat also, its a waste of time for us to keep clicking to check if someone said anything, with the memory leaks and other current problems which need frequent reloading its getting fairly spammy and boring to watch these.

DeletedUser7837

Its not working for me , keep saying Connected and then Disconnected .
can we disable it ? its taking toooooooo much memory

DeletedUser12348

Would like to be able to disable the join / leave functions for sure.

Also are there any hidden chat commands like say "users in room" or "private chat room"

But the key questions I have is / will chat be moderated ? Is there a filter for bad language ? Any rules about caps / shouting ?

My kids are wanting to play this game and, as usual, I don't want them exposed to certain things that can happen in chat rooms.

And I can only think that global chat will become nothing but a trading room / recruiting in the main. Perhaps you should consider a separate trading tab.

You might also want to consider the introduction of the guild tag concept. This would then appear in front of the chat name.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

clicking on a player's name in chat enables a 1 on 1 chat - kind of a private chat

DeletedUser

This feature is causing everyone to crash with alarming regularity. The chat is FILLED with xxx left chat, xxx joined chat. yyy left chat, yyy joined chat. xxx left chat, xxx joined chat. Players unable to keep flash up and running. I can't imagine it won't drive hundreds of players from the game if they can't do anything without constant flash crashes (yeah - should have been a higher priority a long time ago but it's increased exponentially with this update).

DeletedUser7837

This feature is causing everyone to crash with alarming regularity. The chat is FILLED with xxx left chat, xxx joined chat. yyy left chat, yyy joined chat. xxx left chat, xxx joined chat. Players unable to keep flash up and running. I can't imagine it won't drive hundreds of players from the game if they can't do anything without constant flash crashes (yeah - should have been a higher priority a long time ago but it's increased exponentially with this update).

or maybe they cant connect to chat like me :
chat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9070

How is the staff going to moderate the new chat? its already being filled with non-english and rubbish comments.
I know there is a report feature but I don't think the offenders are aware they can be reported for fooling around, just saying..:X

DeletedUser276

How is the staff going to moderate the new chat? its already being filled with non-english and rubbish comments.
I know there is a report feature but I don't think the offenders are aware they can be reported for fooling around, just saying..:X

I have no idea :D go through the reports.... but already there are soooooo many. most are rubbish. We are talking about it today.

DeletedUser11207

I'm also getting the firewall message that it can't connect me. Yet in the West I never have a problem with the chat.

eeyore

Corporal
my chat also states "the chat is not available due to your firewall or a bad connection"
as per picture:
chat.jpg

My firewall is perfectly normal and I have no issues or malwares with any other website. I can use other online chats
(skype or facetime) perfectly well. It must be a bug in the new chat feature.

Using Firefox 19.0.x, Mac OS 10.8.x

Last edited: