• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

A nice Friday evening rant...

DeletedUser100956

The game is not called 'Forge an Alliance of Empires' or 'Forge a Friendship of Empires'. Possible alternative meaning could be 'establishment'. But even then, 'Establishment of Empires' does not really fit with your original alliance, fighting and defending implication. Anyway, that's my last word.

'Forge of Empires' implies alliances, as does the TV advert.

joesoap

Major-General
If you’re not logged on and are attacked in Guild Wars right now you will probably lose the sector. Without the 7-day guild lock, you have a chance to keep hold of it because your allied guilds can fight for you. With the 7-day guild lock, you’re on your own. Obviously, people can’t be logged on 24/7 and it’s silly to propose that people would do that, which is why alliances are so crucial to GvG. Half the Iron Age map in Brisgard got demolished by one guild because other guilds couldn’t help their alliances. The game without the guild lock suited both types of players. Forging alliances was an integral part to surviving in Guild Wars. Without alliances, most guilds would fail as they don’t have the stamina, power, knowledge or fighters to go it alone.

With or without the 7 day guild lock, guilds can still defend allied guilds sectors if their sectors border the 1 under siege. And this aspect of the game is called Guild verses Guild, not Guild verses Guild A who have alliances with guild B, guild C, guild D etc, this would make it Guild verses Guilds.
Its also very possible to do well in gvg without having alliances, if a guild doesnt have the stamina, power, knowledge or fighters to go it alone then they deserve to lose their sectors to a guild that has

This game was called Forge of Empires long before gvg was introduced, perhaps the forging refers to players bringing their cities together to form a guild rather than guilds forming alliances to compete in gvg

Last edited:

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
'Forge of Empires' implies alliances, as does the TV advert.

It does not, and it does not.

Your definition of forge as coming together or joining is simply incorrect, and the word has no such meaning. It is also pointless to talk about what forge means when used as a verb, especially in conjunction with other words, since in Forge of Empires it is unambiguously used as a noun. As a noun it has but one meaning, which is a furnace or workshop for heating and working metal, which the game logo clearly refers to.

You should also note that the advert you linked to is older than GvG, and therefore could not possibly have referred to any GvG features. Also, it did not mention anything about alliances, just allies. Everyone has allies in their guilds and friend lists, and they can certainly become enemies by leaving the guild or breaking the friendship and starting to plunder you.

DeletedUser100956

It does not, and it does not.

Your definition of forge as coming together or joining is simply incorrect, and the word has no such meaning. It is also pointless to talk about what forge means when used as a verb, especially in conjunction with other words, since in Forge of Empires it is unambiguously used as a noun. As a noun it has but one meaning, which is a furnace or workshop for heating and working metal, which the game logo clearly refers to.

You should also note that the advert you linked to is older than GvG, and therefore could not possibly have referred to any GvG features. Also, it did not mention anything about alliances, just allies. Everyone has allies in their guilds and friend lists, and they can certainly become enemies by leaving the guild or breaking the friendship and starting to plunder you.

Your opinion differs from mine. We can argue semantics all day but that isnt what this thread is about.

DeletedUser13082

since in Forge of Empires it is unambiguously used as a noun. As a noun it has but one meaning

First of all, the word "forge" could have been intended to be interpreted as any one of it's multiple meanings, unless a dev comes here and says which was intended when the Title was created, nobody will know. This is your opinion, unless you are a mind reader then you don't know this as a fact.

You should also note that the advert you linked to is older than GvG

Second point is that the above is technically incorrect. GvG has been a feature in the works since 2012. Therefore this advert was created in the knowledge that GvG was going to be a feature in the game at some point in the future. If they wish to change their meaning, now that GvG is here, then they should create a new advert.

And last point being that this is miles off topic, the topic is concerning bad updates, many of which were addressed in the OP. Whether the game is called Forge of Empires or anything else is pretty much irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2989

First of all, the word "forge" could have been intended to be interpreted as any one of it's multiple meanings, unless a dev comes here and says which was intended when the Title was created, nobody will know. This is your opinion, unless you are a mind reader then you don't know this as a fact.
I dare say they wanted to leave the titles interpretation open, it means what you want it to mean :)
And last point being that this is miles off topic, the topic is concerning bad updates, many of which were addressed in the OP. Whether the game is called Forge of Empires or anything else is pretty much irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

It's actually on topic as the OP references the intent behind the title of the game, thus debating the meaning/intent of the words would be fair game.

On the topic of "is it still possible to be allies with a 7-day guild lock in place" and I'd say yes, you just can't have 1 guild in an alliance fight all the battles for the whole alliance (it's only as strong as it's weakest guild). The issue TheMackemOne posted about a while ago:
I get the impression that you think it’s a good idea to slow the game down so much that people only need to logon for a few minutes. I’m going to explain how that affects Guild Wars and how the 7-day guild lock added to the problem of stalling GvG. If you’re not logged on and are attacked in Guild Wars right now you will probably lose the sector. Without the 7-day guild lock, you have a chance to keep hold of it because your allied guilds can fight for you. With the 7-day guild lock, you’re on your own. Obviously, people can’t be logged on 24/7 and it’s silly to propose that people would do that, which is why alliances are so crucial to GvG. Half the Iron Age map in Brisgard got demolished by one guild because other guilds couldn’t help their alliances. The game without the guild lock suited both types of players. Forging alliances was an integral part to surviving in Guild Wars. Without alliances, most guilds would fail as they don’t have the stamina, power, knowledge or fighters to go it alone.
seems to refer to demolition guilds (guilds that quickly wipe out all others in GvG while retaining no sectors themselves) where the result was unavoidable even if the 7-day lock was not in place. In fact that problem was spawned from a different change and the lack of fixing a loophole since GvG was released.

DeletedUser100956

I dare say they wanted to leave the titles interpretation open, it means what you want it to mean :)

It's actually on topic as the OP references the intent behind the title of the game, thus debating the meaning/intent of the words would be fair game.

On the topic of "is it still possible to be allies with a 7-day guild lock in place" and I'd say yes, you just can't have 1 guild in an alliance fight all the battles for the whole alliance (it's only as strong as it's weakest guild). The issue TheMackemOne posted about a while ago:

seems to refer to demolition guilds (guilds that quickly wipe out all others in GvG while retaining no sectors themselves) where the result was unavoidable even if the 7-day lock was not in place. In fact that problem was spawned from a different change and the lack of fixing a loophole since GvG was released.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track ;)

My original post was not taking issue with demolishing guilds but rather the lack of being able to help other guilds who are at the mercy of demolishing guilds. Granted the fight against a demolishing guild is hard, but guilds joining together to defend would have made it harder, its easier to replace defending armies if a lot of you can do it. Yes you can still have alliances but they are meaningless if the only way you can help each is by dividing up sectors and a simple NAP would suffice. Before the 7-day guild lock, guilds interacted with each other a lot more than now. Hunting for BPs is another advantage of alliances. There might not be many complaints about the lack of BPs is we had more avenues in which to search for them. Trading is another part of alliances that suffered too, which now comes at a price. The 7-day guild lock is an act of weeding out alliances and drying up the interaction between them.

DeletedUser13082

Point 1 agreed.

Point 2, touché, had to double check the OP just to be sure though :p lol.

"demolition guild" (still just ghost guilds in my opinion, just a different form) are something that should have been addressed long ago. Again, this is why set goods costs for sectors should be implemented rather than increasing costs per sector owned by the guild. This way, the guilds taking this action wouldn't have any advantage over other guilds. If their siege is broken, they will eventually run out of goods, however in the current state of GvG, they can easily siege 100+ times one after another, sooner or later they will take the sector they're attacking. It is a guaranteed loss for the guild who owns the sector if a demolition/ghost guild decides to target them.

DeletedUser13082

This game was called Forge of Empires long before gvg was introduced, perhaps the forging refers to players bringing their cities together to form a guild rather than guilds forming alliances to compete in gvg

This game was also called Forge of Empires prior to guilds being implemented into the game, which would mean that the first part of your post also contradicts what you suggest may have been the meaning.

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
Your opinion differs from mine. We can argue semantics all day but that isn't what this thread is about.

What this thread is about is your rant, including your claim that the name of the game would be a lie. In fact the name contains no reference to alliances whatsoever, so your claim was incorrect. The meaning of words is not a matter of opinion.

First of all, the word "forge" could have been intended to be interpreted as any one of its multiple meanings, unless a dev comes here and says which was intended when the title was created, nobody will know. This is your opinion, unless you are a mind reader then you don't know this as a fact.

I am not a mind reader, yet I do know this for a fact. How, you may ask? According to English grammar, the word forge in Forge of Empires cannot be a verb. If it were a verb, the word of would be out of place, and the name should be Forge Empires, or Forge an Empire in singular. Similarly you can Eat Apples or Eat an Apple, but Eat of Apples is nonsense.

Therefore, since all verb meanings have been ruled out, the word forge can only have a noun meaning, of which there is only one, a furnace or workshop for heating and working metal.

I cannot understand how this is not obvious to everyone, especially since there is clearly molten metal and a smith's hammer in the game logo, which you would find in a forge.

foe_logo.jpg

DeletedUser100956

I cannot understand how this is not obvious to everyone, especially since there is clearly molten metal and a smith's hammer in the game logo, which you would find in a forge.

By that logic, I guess Apple should be producing apples and not computers or phones. The TV advert for Forge of Empires clearly references alliances and the battles between them!

DeletedUser100956

All this debating would be put to an end if Inno, just once, interacted with us.

DeletedUser99445

This thread started off with a RANT about the game and its development. Now, its something more in keeping with my old English Grammar lessons.
Can we change the heading to "Nouns V Verbs"?
Only playing guys. Don't be harsh with your replies :)

DeletedUser13082

What this thread is about is your rant, including your claim that the name of the game would be a lie. In fact the name contains no reference to alliances whatsoever, so your claim was incorrect. The meaning of words is not a matter of opinion.

I am not a mind reader, yet I do know this for a fact. How, you may ask? According to English grammar, the word forge in Forge of Empires cannot be a verb. If it were a verb, the word of would be out of place, and the name should be Forge Empires, or Forge an Empire in singular. Similarly you can Eat Apples or Eat an Apple, but Eat of Apples is nonsense.

Therefore, since all verb meanings have been ruled out, the word forge can only have a noun meaning, of which there is only one, a furnace or workshop for heating and working metal.

Forge can also mean create, therefore creation, meaning Forge could be another choice of word for creation meaning the Title would mean creation of empires. As I said, it can be viewed in many ways, your opinion is your opinion, not a fact.

So meanings currently stated are that the game title could mean:
creation of empires
A forge in which empires are created
The making/shaping of an empire (As forge can also mean to make or shape something, usually a metal object.)

Again, all are very much possible, just because you chose one doesn't make it the right one.

Then you want to come to the topic of the logo, look at the T.V show Dragons Den, it's logo is 2 "D"'s facing opposite directions with a dragon in the middle. That doesn't automatically mean that the show is about dragons.

Rosletyne

Warrant Officer
How many times do I need to say that you cannot mix the verb and noun meanings of a word?

Just because forge as a verb can mean to create or make something, that does not mean forge as a noun would mean creation or making of something. Forging could. Forge and forging have distinct meanings that are not interchangeable. Forge in Forge of Empires can only be a noun, and as a noun it can have one meaning and one meaning only.

This insistence on incorrect meanings being supposedly possible is getting ridiculous. How would you interpret the phrase Lord of Light? Perhaps Lord of Not Very Heavy Things or Lord of Setting Things on Fire?