• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Wrong Neighbourhood

• Thread starter Deleted member 112124
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I'm a noob in here and it bugs the Hell out of me to be shunted into interacting with Power Players who's cities have GB's and tech from a dozen ages. How do I get to win tournaments and the medals that come with them when the neighbourhood bullies just muscle their way to the top?

DeletedUser110131

Simple. You win by getting to the top. And, yes, that's going to take GBs, tech, and "muscles". At the time of a neighborhood merge, your neighbors don't have tech from any more ages than you. They don't have anything that you can't get. If you want to beat them, you'll have to work to get those things, just like your neighbors did.

Mind, though, that only a few GBs will make a difference in the PvP tournaments, and the three most important ones are early age buildings. If you want to do PvP, you'll have to get them. If you don't, you have no one to blame but yourself.

DeletedUser111866

It was way worse several months ago, when you could be in say iron age and get into a neighborhood with PME player that you have literally no way to beat, and suffer u til a reroll, which was no guarantee to not have an OP player as well. Now you only can get into a hood with same or at most +1 age players, that you can technically even beat wih lower age troops provided attack boosts big enough. So, stop whining, get psyched and work your way up, at least when it comes to GBs - getting LoA and Zeus built is relatively easy, provided you don't rush ages, and even then you can trade down for goods and aid for BPs.

PS: the tournaments don't mean a thing in low ages, even for medals - you'd better get them for investing your FPs in others' GBs as a real byproduct. Say I've got me 300 medals last day for someone else's lv4 Kraken and some low place (3? Didn't care to remember, now app history is gone). This alone is worth 6 weeks of EMA winning, and it's just a single haul. (My best is 902 from 2nd place in a lv9 high era GB of a friend)

DeletedUser111879

The troops you are seeing are likely quest rewards. They have stopped progressing through the tech tree in a certain age, but continued doing quests for the next age and beyond, and gotten some troops as a reward for those quests. I am in the colonial age and have by city guarded by Industrial era troops that came from quest rewards. the Rogues that are probably backing them up if they are the attacker can be obtained from doing Guild Expeditions, and Rogue Hideouts can be obtained as rewards in certain events, one was up for grabs just a couple days ago in the holiday questline, you'll get one sooner or later. I also have several GB's that increase my troops effectiveness both offensively and defensively. You can do this as well. The higher level GB's are them getting blueprints from either aiding with FP's in the GB they are after, or just aiding higher level guild members or friends, and trading up in the market for the materials to build them. all they are doing is halting progression through the tech tree and funneling their FP's into GB's, and yes, you can do this as well. No, you won't be able to catch up with the top guys quickly or easily, I still have one guy in my neighborhood that is faaaaaar stronger than anyone else, because he's been progressing through the ages at a snails pace, and has many high level GB's, but you can still increase your power relative to others in the same age. Better to be raided by one person a day than 3, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser96901

research something and in 2 weeks you go to the next neighborhood

and if you need medals:
spend FP in high level higher era GB

DeletedUser96901

or explain away how it is appropriate for entry level players to be landed with such as neighbours.
for the neighborhood only the tech tree is important
and you are all at the same points of it

so research something and you land in a more advanced neighborhood (advanced in the tech tree)

The issue I have is simply that these creatures are spoilers not gamers
then let them spoil because you as gamer will sure advance to the next neighborhood with the next change

DeletedUser110179

I'm a noob in here and it bugs the Hell out of me to be shunted into interacting with Power Players who's cities have GB's and tech from a dozen ages. How do I get to win tournaments and the medals that come with them when the neighbourhood bullies just muscle their way to the top?
Are you in Iron Age ... or did you advance into the higher eras.

You are responsible for your own position on the tech tree. If you go to school but skip Primary school and land up in High school, you'll be placed with pupils many years older than yourself. In a sense, you want to rush through the ages and benefit from the higher position without being fully prepared to be there.

Everybody around you will have more if you have neglected your development ...
climbing the tech tree like a monkey doesn't make you Superman.

DeletedUser110131

Pure BS, since the time of the last merge there are several players who have tech from a dozen different Ages, as stated in original Post.
Doubling down on a lie doesn't make it true. What you're claiming, is patently impossible. If all you're referring to is higher age unattached reward troops, as Raye Gunn suggests, then be aware that it took a lot of effort to get those.

I do well because of a sound knowledge of History and an empiric understanding of Military strategy and tactics.
Also patently impossible. If you base your game strategy on "sound knowledge of history", you will be failing miserable. This isn't a history exam. Military strategy is also not very applicable, certainly not to the extent I would like. Neither of the two will help you any more than a degree in architecture would help your city planning. If you want to succeed, you'll have to base your strategy on the mechanics of the game.

As my last word on the matter: I read with interest in other discussions that these clowns are referred to as "The Rich Bullies", how aptly put. Too flush with Diamonds to bother actually being a competent Gamer, too arrogant to make progress through knowledge and skill.
The default excuse. The fact is, diamonds can't compensate for poor play. They can speed up elements of game progress, but you'll need to spend absurd amounts for it to be significant. They can make some routine tasks simpler and quicker, saving mouse clicks and time spent on the game, but without speeding up game progress. Whether they've bought diamonds or not, the players you're complaining about will have spent a lot of effort developing their city, rather than race ahead on the tech tree. It's a perfectly valid strategy, and a very effective one, as your whining and whimpering proves.

To be the highest ranked in the neighborhood isn't a point. If, however, you rush ahead, and then find yourself in the bottom half of the neighborhood, vulnerable to plundering by any of the top 30, then you've messed up. It's all on you, and none on them. You're simply among those who haven't developed the patience necessary for a long term strategy game like this. The question is if you'll use the game to develop that patience, or simply move on to something lighter. If you decide to stick it out, you'll need to do a lot of careful building before you even think about progressing another age.

The bottom line is that the targets of your ire don't have anything that you can't get. Even if they're spending real money, that's still true. There is nothing in the game that you can get for money, that you can't get without. Even diamonds can be had through effort and dedicated play alone. It. Just. Takes. Time.

To a n00b, what I write may seem like harsh, rude, arrogant, condescending, off-the-point, cheap shots. It is, however, good advice and information, delivered in the tone you yourself set.

Edit: Grammar

DeletedUser111866

You mistake "techs" for "Great Buildings". Yes it's possible to get a great building of high age in iron/EMA, I've got me a CDM (LMA) built in Iron Age by trading a heckuva lot of goods back and forth, and acquiring blueprints by aiding and investing in others' CDMs. It took a good deal of a month to achieve it, also I've got me 500 FPs to pay for goods once I'd collect enough BPs for an Arc. THEN I will be like those you describe, rich and powerful XDDDDDD "Techs" can be determined by the appearance of the person's Town Hall, it always depicts the effective age.

You can do the same, it takes time and devotion, but it's doable.

DeletedUser110131

I apologise fully and unreservedly to all who viewed this nonsense
A truly rare and wondrous phenomenon on display: The Internet Discussion Apology!

In all seriousness, I really am both surprised and impressed. You're good with me. In fact, with no harm done beyond some annoyance, partly self inflicted by people for remaining on the topic, a full apology is overkill. The retraction of some statements is appreciated, though. I retract my own unpleasantries, but leave you with the information and advice.
Edit: It was supposed to read UNpleasantries, and now it does

DeletedUser110797

Hey, this has been a great thread. I enjoyed reading it and I had a good old chuckle. Can't help wondering though, if Lugh's apology is sincere or cynical.
One thing I would ask. How do you 'pop over' to someone else's city if they don't feature in your friends, guild members or neighbourhood lists?

DeletedUser110131

How do you 'pop over' to someone else's city if they don't feature in your friends, guild members or neighbourhood lists?
I assume he means to look it up through a search in Menu > Global > Ranking > Players. All you can do, though, is have a look at his city, and say 'hello'. I would, but I'm not on Arvahall.

Can't help wondering though, if Lugh's apology is sincere or cynical.
It's hard to tell about apologies, other than the fact that they're rare, especially on the Net. Still, it's credible that the apology is sincere, if for no other reason than the general truth that starting out in a new community forum, in a highly adversarial way, is bad form. Regardless of all that, it's doubtless that it's refreshingly uncommon, which is commendable in itself. Absent specific reasons not to, I try to make it a principle to take things at face value. It simplifies things greatly.

Generally speaking, and not a reply to anyone in particular, there's little reason for an insincere apology on this forum. People mainly judge each other based on their most recent contributions. If someone writes something that's aggressively controversial, or otherwise suited to heat up a topic, they'll get sharp responses, but they'll be fairly proportional, fairly honest, and fairly to the point (and who can ask for more than 'fair'?). In my experience, it'll stay within the topic where it began, and there won't be any lasting hard feelings from the regulars, as long as you follow the same principles yourself.

Still, human memory doesn't come with a 'delete' button, everyone appreciates an honest apology, and it can only improve the mood, so it's not a bad idea to make one, if it feels appropriate. It also helps oneself from becoming entrenched in silly opinions. It's a tricky, but wise policy to have. I know it's tricky, because I struggle with it, myself.

P.S.:
All this reminds me that I don't think I've given our moderators the praise they deserve, for their light, but precise touch, that allows a General Community Discussion forum with actually general discussions, and an actual community, rather than just a bunch of short, formally phrased, narrowly defined, and deathly boring topics. That's not as obvious as one might expect. I hope any mod reading this takes it as the overdue compliment that I intend it to be.

Vesiger

Monarch
One point - it seems to me that somebody (some thirty bodies) always has to be among the bottom 30 players of any neighbourhood, therefore it's not possible to avoid this fate by any degree of skilful play...

DeletedUser111866

it seems to me that somebody (some thirty bodies) always has to be among the bottom 30 players of any neighbourhood, therefore it's not possible to avoid this fate by any degree of skilful play...
As one fairy tale said: "Do you really think that with this speed potion you can outrun the troll?" - "Not really, but I can outrun YOU!". One has to be playing better than the bottom 30, and frankoly they can also not advance by ages so that they will remain in the same age gathering power, and n00bs will travel forward and be replaced with newcomers of smaller power on average.

DeletedUser110131

One point - it seems to me that somebody (some thirty bodies) always has to be among the bottom 30 players of any neighbourhood, therefore it's not possible to avoid this fate by any degree of skilful play...
True, in the theoretical sense.

You can never play so well that it's not theoretically possible that you end up at the bottom. Even if you managed the implausible feat of playing perfectly, if everyone else did the same, you still might end up at the bottom, depending on whatever secondary sorting rule Inno uses. There's a long way between theory and practice, though. In reality, it's perfectly possible to ensure that you play better than the 30 lowest players in any neighborhood.

To make it short: What @ih8regin said.

Note that I count caution, patience, and timing as elements of good play, in this context.

For any n00bs who may be reading this, and who may be overly receptive to influence, a caveat: Also note that everything can be exaggerated, and the requirements for always coming out as #1, are definitely excessive. However, aiming for top ten, or top twenty, is both easily accomplished, and wise, in my opinion. It's even possible to be fairly sure of top five, without more than moderate exaggeration (pretend that the term isn't an oxymoron). At those levels, you should have some or all of the resources (FPs, BPs, goods, fairly appropriate GBs at fairly appropriate levels, etc.) to adapt to the emergent needs of a new neighborhood or era, such as improving your defensive or offensive strength.

Keywords for this game are balance, flexibility, adaptability, patience, perseverance, and judgement. Put like that, it seems more like yoga, and less like a game. Nevertheless, I'm undoubtedly better at FoE than I would be at yoga...

Vesiger

Monarch
As one fairy tale said: "Do you really think that with this speed potion you can outrun the troll?" - "Not really, but I can outrun YOU!". One has to be playing better than the bottom 30
I think I'm still misunderstanding this; when neighbourhoods are sorted, they're just created to sort together people who are calculated to be at about the same position in the game, aren't they? Nobody gets put in the bottom of a neighbourhood for playing badly - it happens because your score happens to fall near the boundary point between this neighbourhood and the next one 'down'. If you had scored a little less, you might have been towards the top of another neighbourhood.

DeletedUser

I think I'm still misunderstanding this; when neighbourhoods are sorted, they're just created to sort together people who are calculated to be at about the same position in the game, aren't they? Nobody gets put in the bottom of a neighbourhood for playing badly - it happens because your score happens to fall near the boundary point between this neighbourhood and the next one 'down'. If you had scored a little less, you might have been towards the top of another neighbourhood.
Not really. Neighbourhood depends on technological level. If you're at the bottom, normally it is because half of your city is still one or two ages below your age.

DeletedUser110131

@Vesiger
It's entirely decided by your era at the moment of the shuffle. It's why wise players time their advancement to the next era to immediately after a neighborhood shuffle. Apart from bringing them to the top part of the ranking, giving access to superior troops for defence and offense, it will also leave them to dominate the higher level Tower Tournament. Additionally, by the time of the next shuffle, they'll have had two weeks to establish their city according to their new era.

These players are among those who freak out some other players in the neighborhood, who will then complain that Inno puts higher era "bullies" into their neighborhoods. While Inno does do that in some few neighborhoods, it's extremely rare. The fact is, if the complainants make the same, wise, strategic choice, they'll be in that group themselves, at some point. Until then, they can do well enough without being #1.

@Lugh Longarm
That's a good point, actually. My response will be that it really goes more to esthetics and the logic of fixed history, than to the concept and needs of the game.

Modern looking buildings will look out of place in an LMA city; that's esthetics. They could, and maybe should, have some of the GBs change their appearance as the player advances. However, that's a lot of work to implement. Also, there will be some need of suspension of disbelief, no matter what, which is a lot cheaper. So, in those cases, they leave us to look at the stats, rather than the design, and accept the artistic license of the graphic designers. The buildings have to look like something, and, whatever they look like, it'll be inappropriate for some era or other. After all, building the a "tower to reach the heavens" (Tower of Babel) in the Modern Era, should result in a completely different design, not to mention a much taller building. Yet, in the game, players do build it in later eras, and it comes out looking like a Bronze Age building.

The exact location of buildings can't be entirely realistic; the disaster of having a Saturn 5 lifting off in NYC would be even greater, LoA would never be built inland, ToB, LoA and CoA in the same city is literally a contradiction of terms, etc. To make the placement of all buildings logical, would require an entirely different game, with each player building multiple cities in multiple locations, and with a much different area grid, to accommodate the need for isolated locations.

The fixed, real world history can't be completely integrated in strategy games with a long historic timeline, as they severely restrict the strategic choices, in the extreme eliminating them entirely. Games like FoE fall into the Alternate History genre, a sub-genre of Sci-Fi., based on "what if" questions, such as: What if da Vinci had received unlimited funds to realize his inventions? What if the Chinese, experimenting with manned rocket flight in the middle ages, had succeeded? What if the Romans had been crushed early, leaving the scientifically far more productive Greek civilization to dominate? What if the Mongols had conquered Europe, becoming a bridge between Chinese and European culture and science? What if the Thera Eruption hadn't occurred, and the Minoan civilization, hundreds of years ahead of others, had survived? Of course, you're left to imagine the "what ifs" on your own.

Not only might the speed of technological advancement have been greatly different with such "what ifs", but the order of advancement might, as well. Perhaps not quite as extreme as "a Saturn 5 lifting off from a middle ages city", of course, but it's fiction, after all.

Inno has found a balance between all these concerns, and changing it won't happen fast, even if they decide to. In fact, it may be easier and faster to make an entirely new game.

DeletedUser111866

it happens because your score happens to fall near the boundary point between this neighbourhood and the next one 'down'. If you had scored a little less, you might have been towards the top of another neighbourhood.
The sorting doesn't seem to be like this, otherwise one hood will have all the people that don't progress by eras for years, because their rating is growing over time with each action. Instead we have about even spread over the hoods, with each hood having a top era camper or two and newcomers with very low score. I expect the sorting be pretty much random with hoods be balanced by quantity, not quality, and whenever the engine says reshuffle, it throws people around at complete random.