• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Will I suddenly advance to EMA if I complete the "Murderers!" bonus quest?

Jaywalker59

Private
I'm not ready to advance to EMA, but I've worked through all the campaign map, up to LMA, hit a brick wall, and that only leaves the Barbarian bonus quest to complete when the daily quest asks me to to conquer a sector. Specifically, I'm at that quest(Murderers!) which rewards you with EMA units, so I've avoided completing that one , thus far.

That's because I'm sure that I've read , somewhere (probably this forum) that if you accept units from a higher era than yours, then you automatically advance to that higher era. That would be very. very awkward partway through an event. and partway through GE . However, I'm now wondering if that info is dated or just plain wrong? because I recently came across some instructions on how to get higher era units, which would clearly not work as intended , if that rule applied across the board. But people said it had worked for them!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in obtaining higher era units, just interested in completing the quest chain (and obtaining that monastery at the end! ) without inconveniently ageing up . So my question is simple: can I go ahead , accept those units and move on with the questline without finding myself summarily booted into EMA?

I've tried searching, but can't find an answer to this specific question. Thanks!

Last edited:

Andrew420

Major
That's because I'm sure that I've read , somewhere (probably this forum) that if you accept units from a higher era than yours, then you automatically advance to that higher era. That would be very. very awkward partway through an event. and partway through GE . However, I'm now wondering if that info is dated or just plain wrong?
Not from this forum you probably read that on FoE's facebook page
A lot of misinformation on there
You can only age up when you complete the 1st research tech of that era

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
You can only age up when you complete the 1st research tech of that era
As pointed to above - you will only Age up once you have Unlocked the first research of the new Era. However - you can spend as much GP's on the first set of research trees that you want - just do not Unlock. And it is good to spend the FP's in advance - so when you are ready to enter the new age - you can Unlock all the new Era researches you have spent FP's on, giving you a little step up upon entering the new age.

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
As others already told, you will advance in age only when you research at least one tech from that age.
But, I might suppose that your confusion was caused by something else, maybe PvP towers, because you won't get points for your age's PvP tower if you fight with units that aren't from your age, tho PvP towers are unlocked by guess what, map too.

Jaywalker59

Private
No, you guys are wrong about there being only one way of ageing up. though I dunno if the other way (s) are features or bugs. I went searching for info on advancing when I suddel;y advanced from Bronze Age before I could even see the tech tree for Iron Age, let alone unlock any IA research. I was only just over halfway through the BA tech tree , at that time, so it was a real pain. When I asked guildies, they all said "that isn't possible" same as you. But it also isn't possible that I could be that far mistaken.

I surely don't want that happening again! I still don't know what I did before, but this thing about the Campaign Map quests and accepting higher-age units caught my eye, and it appeared in 2-3 different threads, mentioned by several different people, but i just can't find those mentions now.

I wonder if I try it and I do age up as a consequence, in spite of assurances that it isn't possible, if Inno can then restore to me to Iron Age?

BTW, I don't read FB ;) but i do read Wiki and such

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Bear in mind that this MEANS you have surely advanced into the next age:
  • Your Town Hall has changed it's appearance
And this DOES NOT neccessarily mean that you have advanced into new age:
  • Participating in PvP tower of the higher age;
  • Having military units of the higher age;
  • Reached higher ages' opponents on the Continent Map;
  • Reached any quest blocker that needs you to advance into the next age for it to be completed.

Bear in mind that this MEANS you have surely advanced into the next age:
  • Your Town Hall has changed it's appearance
And this DOES NOT neccessarily mean that you have advanced into new age:
  • Participating in PvP tower of the higher age;
  • Having military units of the higher age;
  • Reached higher ages' opponents on the Continent Map;
  • Reached any quest blocker that needs you to advance into the next age for it to be completed.
Ah, you think that s/he hasn't really aged up, but just thinks so.
I can hardly believe that. It's pretty obvious which era you're are playing in. It's written right there on top of the city screen and in the player profile, and you can see it in the research tree.

Last edited:

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Ah, you think that s/he hasn't really aged up, but just thinks so.
I can hardly believe that. It's pretty obvious which era you're are playing in. It's written right there on top of the city screen and in the player profile, and you can see it in the research tree.
Yeah, many people might think they aged up just because they have advanced units and have advanced to continents beyond their age. But if OP found a legit way to age up without touching the tech tree, I would like to hear it lol.

Jaywalker59

Private
Next time something like that happens to me, I shall have to take screenies to prove it, shant I? 'These "must be mistaken" posts are not at all helpful. It's way too late to take screenies now, I've been playing this game every day for the past three months, and i do know all the basics, But even back then, as fresh-face bronze age newbie, I knew that my town hall suddenly changing appearance meant that I'd somehow advanced into the next age, and I certainly knew the difference between the Iron Age quests I was suddenly getting and the BA ones I;d been getting until then. And also the Iron Age tech tree , which had been hidden right up to that point, suddenly revealed itself. What I didnt know, at that point in time, was exactly how advancement is triggered, so, annoying though it was , I had to do a lot of research and ask around before I knew that my experience was highly unusual.

If you guys won't believe that can happen at all, then your assurances that it won't happen again are not reasssuring. They are clearly based in theory, disregarding any conflicting facts

It would be great if somebody could say: " I did that Murderers! quest when I was in Iron Age, and it didn't trigger an advancement." That would be reassuring. That's the sort of thing I need to know, Hard facts, not a bunch of derisory suppositions

Emberguard

Legend
You may be confusing the age of the campaign map to your technological age.

Yes if you keep advancing on the map you'll "go up" a age on the map itself. All this means is when you continue to scout further into the map your opponents will be of a higher age because your opponents will belong to a higher age if the province is corresponding to a higher age, -!BUT!- (and this is a big but) you yourself won't go up a technological age. You'll still be in whatever age you're in on the research tree. Because the research tree is the only thing that determines your own technological age.

Completing the quests in itself is irrelevant. That has no effect on your age. The tasks completed may result in you aging up in the process, but the quests being completed don't trigger a age change.

You may also be confusing information regarding needing to age up in order to retain Recurring Quests. Which again, that's not the quests automatically aging you up. That's you needing to do an action that results in aging up if you want to complete the quests.

Emberguard

Legend
It would be great if somebody could say: " I did that Murderers! quest when I was in Iron Age, and it didn't trigger an advancement." That would be reassuring. That's the sort of thing I need to know, Hard facts, not a bunch of derisory suppositions
I've done that quest when in higher ages and it hasn't reverted my age :P Don't recall whether I've ever done that one specific quest in Iron Age (though plenty of players have)

Jaywalker59

Private
Emberguard, i don't know what triggered it. I'm just guessing it was a quest. Quite possibly a bug, like you say. Unfortunately by the time I knew that it *shouldn't* be possible to age up w/o researching next age, it was too late to send in a ticket, I'd researched like mad in the meantime, to try to redeem my situation, like you would.

" You may also be confusing information regarding needing to age up in order to retain Recurring Quests " Nah, actually read a shedload of posts about that because it was somewhat related to what I wanted to know, and my forum searches kept throwing the RQ issue up .It's clearly not the same thing. That said, I'm pretty sure I first encountered the thing about quest rewards directly triggering an age-up (as opposed to just making it desirable) in the middle of some very long , convoluted thread on that topic. Then I found more posts about it on some fansite. None of it was directly relevant to myself, at that time, (it all concerned some bonus questline that I was yet to encounter. Unfortunately , i can't recall which) 'but it stuck in my mind

And I'm certainly not confusing progress on the map with ageing up, never did. Progress on the map does not give you a new town hall . I've mentioned the change in town hall twice now. And like I said, I've come to the end of LMA now, if you go by the map! :D. But I evidently know that I'm really in IA, And I want to stay there awhile.

I don't have the RQ problem, BTW, I've got two non-abotaable quests up, (the last LMA quest, which can't be completed w/o progressing. plus the Barbarian questline) but still have the RQs in a third window, The RQs sometimes get replaced , temprarily, by some abortable quest but always come back. Could Inno have fixed that issue?

I could easily move up an age now, but, for one thing, I find the EMA buildings really ugly! .

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Next time something like that happens to me, I shall have to take screenies to prove it, shant I? 'These "must be mistaken" posts are not at all helpful. It's way too late to take screenies now, I've been playing this game every day for the past three months, and i do know all the basics, But even back then, as fresh-face bronze age newbie, I knew that my town hall suddenly changing appearance meant that I'd somehow advanced into the next age, and I certainly knew the difference between the Iron Age quests I was suddenly getting and the BA ones I;d been getting until then. And also the Iron Age tech tree , which had been hidden right up to that point, suddenly revealed itself.
These "must be mistaken" posts are actually useful, since nobody (in recent times at least) has come to the forums to make this claim - so if it really happened, it most likely is just a bug. Also, your comment about the Iron Age tree being hidden - appears either when you have reached a point where you can place FP's into the last tier of research - or you have clicked it with your mouse, knowingly or not.
You most certainly can get next age quests when you are in an earlier age, if the storyline is set up that way - such as I am in HMA, and I have a quest to build a Tower Ruin which is over halfway into LMA. Or, if you have decided to explore the map beyond your current Age.
Also, when you Age up, not only will your town hall change, but you get fireworks, some bonus FP, and an offer from Inno to purchase some of the new Age goods, combat units and/or buildings. So a lot of things happen when you Age up - and if you did not notice that, then perhaps you had previously Aged up without realizing it, maybe changed your screen, turned it off, or maybe a lot of other things. People can say helpful "must be mistaken" posts when they have far more experience in the game then a somewhat newbie, as you described yourself.

Emberguard

Legend
The RQs sometimes get replaced , temprarily, by some abortable quest but always come back. Could Inno have fixed that issue?
That's not a bug. Quests shows when triggered to be shown. You can have Recurring Quests and still trigger additional Side Quests. Recurring Quests only show if there's meant to be an additional quest and there's nothing else to fill that quest slot

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Next time something like that happens to me, I shall have to take screenies to prove it, shant I? 'These "must be mistaken" posts are not at all helpful. It's way too late to take screenies now, I've been playing this game every day for the past three months, and i do know all the basics, But even back then, as fresh-face bronze age newbie, I knew that my town hall suddenly changing appearance meant that I'd somehow advanced into the next age, and I certainly knew the difference between the Iron Age quests I was suddenly getting and the BA ones I;d been getting until then. And also the Iron Age tech tree , which had been hidden right up to that point, suddenly revealed itself. What I didnt know, at that point in time, was exactly how advancement is triggered, so, annoying though it was , I had to do a lot of research and ask around before I knew that my experience was highly unusual.
You should send a support ticked immediately if you got into next age without actually researching at least one tech from it on the tech tree.
If you guys won't believe that can happen at all, then your assurances that it won't happen again are not reasssuring. They are clearly based in theory, disregarding any conflicting facts
Actually not based just on theory, I knew a couple of BA campers who were pushing far on campaign map, yet nobody of them experienced this issue, that's why I am very sceptic about it.