• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Why I don't like SAM

Decoder

Warrant Officer
OK, this was my last battle for now.
I easily took down the heavy, art. , light combos and I left this for the last.
So I figured out how to use rogues against sentinels, if they make a mistake.
Watch how around 50 sec. in, one rogue is turned into a warden. That was a mistake. Without that this would have ended. Every other shot was to kill the wardens.
Sentinels go up close to the rogues so in this case I had chance to turn them into wardens. If there would have been Teslas, they are too far for the rogue.

You did it - with rogues. Cool :)
I probably wouldn't have attacked with the rogues though. I would have let the Sentinels use an attack to turn the rogues.

Last edited:

Lord Grok

Master Corporal
If you’re using sentinels then use 8 of them on auto. The point is they go first rush forward and kill half the enemy (using rogues just reduces your rush). They’re my go to army for battleground as they’re great against everything except wardens or a matching army, unless you have high combat advantage in which case they beat everything.

If you fighting sentinels with low combat advantage the counter has already been stated in this thread; use wardens and rogues. On auto consider using 2 wardens as you sometimes get unlucky and lose 1, or roll the dice with 1 it will work most of the time. Or go semi auto where you use 1 warden and skip their first turn then go auto.

You’re misinterpreting your combat results. Your bonus makes your army marginally stronger than the opponent. If you’re using sentinels vs sentinels you would expect to lose close to the same as the enemy loses and the actual result will be more affected by turn order and what the daft AI does if you’re on auto. This will vary depending on combat level but usually 1-2 hits kills a sentinel unless you have a significant combat advantage. The battles aren’t rigged you can watch the auto combat and watch it unfold.

rayster001

Private
Rogues work fine on the map - on auto battle. And "1 Steel Warden + 7 rogues" (as suggested) work well against 8 Sentinels (+ a 2nd wave army) - if att/def boost is high enough.
I beat SAM armies easily (on auto) on the map for Mars Ore daily atm. I use 1 or 2 regular SAM units + rogues, No problem at all. My att/def boost is 609/345, Not very high for SAM, some might say, but somewhat higher than yours. And that's your problem, as it's been mentioned here a few times now. Your att/def boost is too low. It's not that the SAM armies on the map are impossible to beat or that you can't use rogues on the map.
Btw - I completed the SAM map long before reaching SAM on the tech tree. Won the battles easily with lower era troops. When I got to SAM, I didn't build any goods buildings in the colony. I get all the SAM goods I need from special/event buildings, GBs and rewards. I don't need Mars Ore to produce SAM goods. But I still collect Mars Ore, because I might need it later (for techs), and the points from the (easy!) battles are always nice, though I don't care much about rank points.
you said My att/def boost is 609/345 ... I thank you for that in confirming the way i am playing is going to make it easier for me in the longer run , as im only in the CE ERA ,, heading for tomorrow [;-)) that was a big help ['-))

Decoder

Warrant Officer
You did it - with rogues. Cool :)
I probably wouldn't have attacked with the rogues though. I would have let the Sentinels use an attack to turn the rogues.
Ok, I'm gonna stop here as it's clear that you don't watch the video and don't see that THEY DON'T ATTACK ROGUES !

Decoder

Warrant Officer
.......You’re misinterpreting your combat results. Your bonus makes your army marginally stronger than the opponent. ......

Marginal? Sentinel at 100% attack 1100 at 240% 1800 ......... I would not cal that marginal.
You also haven't looked at all the other parts of this thread, so lets just leave it.

Ok, I'm gonna stop here as it's clear that you don't watch the video and don't see that THEY DON'T ATTACK ROGUES !
I did watch your video - and I've just watched it again..
It wasn't a "mistake" that the 3rd sentinel (at 50 sec) didn't attack your Warden. Your Warden was out of range, so the Sentinel attacked a rogue instead.
Same with the 6th Sentinel. It attacked a rogue instead of the Wardens (two now), because the Wardens were too far away.
That's actually why you can win an auto battle with 1 Warden + 7 rogues against 8 Sentinels. Your Warden(s) will be out of range for some of the Sentinels, so they attack rogues instead and turn them into Wardens, which can be used to win the battle.

Last edited:

Powe

Brigadier-General
It wasn't a "mistake" that the 3rd sentinel (at 50 sec) didn't attack your Warden. Your Warden was out of range, so the Sentinel attacked a rogue instead.
Same with the 6th Sentinel. It attacked a rogue instead of the Wardens (two now), because the Wardens were too far away.
That's actually why you can win an auto battle with 1 Warden + 7 rogues against 8 Sentinels. Your Warden(s) will be out of range for some of the Sentinels, so they attack rogues instead and turn them into Wardens, which can be used to win the battle.
Why do we even bother trying to tell him?

Lord Grok

Master Corporal
@Decoder yes it’s marginal. When you see battle results of archers beating SaaB troops you may start to understand how truly insignificant your combat advantage is. Get combat 500+ and get back to us.

Decoder

Warrant Officer
I really didn't want to continue this, but it also really bothers me when you just make things up.
One. "Sentinel can't reach the warden?!" What a nonsense. Sentinel can reach anywhere. (correction, I mean after the first move)
Two. On the champaign map, AI never prioritised shooting at rogue. Ever! Unlike GE or BattleGround.
Since I just got to the next map section and I had two battles against 8 sentinels and 8 teslas, here what they show.
One. The tesla battle shows how they don't shoot at rogues.
Two. The Sentinel battle shows that they don't prioritise shooting at the rogue, but also they don't simply prioritise shooting the other units. And it also shows that my 240% wardens + first shot at rogues is not enough to beat the 8 sentinels at 150%. I think Keen Eye bonus, so luck, may also plays in here.
PS: These are all autobattle but started manually then autobattle, so I can record it, and in the case of the sentinels the recording didn't start but it was the same thing.
Tesla https://rethink.software/cloud/sharing/87f020ef-a683-4793-b10a-33ef3be57dd6
Sentinel https://rethink.software/cloud/sharing/d22f3a41-4351-44a6-8724-14de70c36351

Last edited:

Knight of ICE

One. "Sentinel can't reach the warden?!" What a nonsense. Sentinel can reach anywhere.
Two. On the champaign map, AI never prioritised shooting at rogue. Ever! Unlike GE or BattleGround.

One: WRONG!!!! Sentinel can not reach anywhere and will shoot at a rogue if that is an option.
Two: WRONG AGAIN !!! AI prioritises rogues if that is the only option!

Since I just got to the next map section and I had two battles against 8 sentinels and 8 teslas, here what they show.
One. The tesla battle shows how they don't shoot at rogues.
Two. The Sentinel battle shows that they don't prioritise shooting at the rogue, but also they don't simply prioritise shooting the other units. And it also shows that my 240% wardens + first shot at rogues is not enough to beat the 8 sentinels at 150%. I think Keen Eye bonus, so luck, may also plays in here.

What plays is that your wardens do not use the terrain at all. Also what you fail to see is that your opponent has a higher defence value in attack than you do. You are accusing others of making up things, but the one person here that really does not get it, is you! Unit initiative is something you probably never heard about.

Decoder

Warrant Officer
One: WRONG!!!! Sentinel can not reach anywhere and will shoot at a rogue if that is an option.
Two: WRONG AGAIN !!! AI prioritises rogues if that is the only option!

What plays is that your wardens do not use the terrain at all. Also what you fail to see is that your opponent has a higher defence value in attack than you do. You are accusing others of making up things, but the one person here that really does not get it, is you! Unit initiative is something you probably never heard about.

Corrected the first one, the second one, if you can't see the opportunity for either battles to shoot at rogues when 3 squares away, yet they shoot at the warden, I can't help you.
Don't know what initiation has to the with this or terrain.

Last edited:
what you dont understand in my words??? i told you i kill wardens and sents with PME troops, with MG's, you arent prepared good for higher eras...

this is proper precentage to have for high eras, then you dont have to think...

I don't have that much - at all. "Only" 610/346, in SAM. But that's high enough to beat any (map) army on auto (with rogues + 1-2 regular units). Not with PME MG's though :D I tried, actually, because Ceban said it was possible (I don't doubt, it is).

For Decoder, I can only repeat what's already been suggested here a few times now: Boost your att/def.
And yes, you are right. On the map the opponent army attacks regular units as first priority. But if regular units are out of range, as second priority, it attacks the nearest rogues within range.

Last edited:

Knight of ICE

Don't know what initiation has to the with this or terrain.

And that is why you expect to win battles where your attack power is only slightly higher. Learn how the entire battle system works, before you start making assumptions and tell players that obviously know more than you that they are wrong.