• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #76 2018-10-15 (ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ati2

Legend
Go run memory test, if there are no other evident problems. If stuff happens *randomly*, it's most likely the effect of a bad memory element(s) and ASLR that makes the hole(s) affect different processes in the OS.

Zip

The errors are not random, although they happen randomly. It's always "uncorrectable error" BSOD. My most likely candidate at this point is the video card. First crashes started when I was using that heavily (rendering images AND watching youtube in fullscreen). Now it happens even when I'm not using it heavily, like during web browsing when Chrome is the only thing running. Even with old drivers that I know used to work back in spring. Will do memory check as well. Next step is to go with the onboard video.

DeletedUser111866

The errors are not random, although they happen randomly. It's always "uncorrectable error" BSOD. My most likely candidate at this point is the video card. First crashes started when I was using that heavily (rendering images AND watching youtube in fullscreen). Now it happens even when I'm not using it heavily, like during web browsing when Chrome is the only thing running. Even with old drivers that I know used to work back in spring. Will do memory check as well. Next step is to go with the onboard video.
Yep, in this case I'd blame the video card. Also if you can, check video card temp, maybe it overheats of old/degraded thermal paste under its radiator, for example.

Ati2

Legend
Yep, in this case I'd blame the video card. Also if you can, check video card temp, maybe it overheats of old/degraded thermal paste under its radiator, for example.
Temp is below 50C. I even took all covers off the machine, I can physically check that it's okay.

I'm going to do a memory test now, just to be sure.

Ati2

Legend
zop. quick memory test found no problems. Oddly enough, it rarely crashes in safe mode (maybe once), and regularly in normal mode. This makes me think it might be a driver issue, but even with an old driver, it crashes... I hate this "trying to figure out what's wrong" game.

DeletedUser111866

Hum, did you try checking what driver/software caused the error based on the minidump? There are tools out there to display the faulty piece of software. Since we largely eliminated the memory cause, this should be the next step.

Ati2

Legend
Hum, did you try checking what driver/software caused the error based on the minidump? There are tools out there to display the faulty piece of software. Since we largely eliminated the memory cause, this should be the next step.
hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe which -- according to google :D:D:D -- suggests a hardware issue. Which I would really hate since it's a freaking expensive video card, and warranty on it ended 4 months ago. :-/

DeletedUser111866

HAL is a DLL that's interacting with all the drivers, not just the video. But yes, failues in HAL mean that there is some hardware troubles. But, if it's HAL, then it's most likely not the video. I wonder if you'd let BOINC GPU projects run on your video card for a while and check if you get any credit for successful jobs. If no, then there's an issue with your video card, if yes, then search elsewhere, north bridge, south bridge, any peripherals including onboard network card (hard to believe that a faulty net card would wreck OS down with HAL event, but still).

DeletedUser111866

What do you suggest? SETI?
I'd say POEM if it'll be still alive. Gonna dig into there to check what projects are short enough to complete before your PC crashes another time. SETI I think is useless completely.

Ati2

Legend
I'd say POEM if it'll be still alive. Gonna dig into there to check what projects are short enough to complete before your PC crashes another time. SETI I think is useless completely.
It's useless, but the biggest I know. :D

And it crashed about a minute after I started using it.

DeletedUser111866

It's useless, but the biggest I know. :D
Check if Einstein@home would give your PC GPU tasks, it was decently short to have a good chance at finishing a task (don't remember if it has checkpoints). Other sources I find appealing are LHC@home (but IIRC they are CPU only) and Rosetta. There was a russian project SAT@home but it seems to stop working for quite some time, they however weren't offering GPU tasks anyway.

Oh yes, there's also PrimeGrid, they are also fine, and they do offer GPU tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.