• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Noob Question: How do people have so many troops?

DeletedUser115557

Late Middle Ages here.

I have 1 of each military production building. When I unlock a new troop building I replace my old one.

I sometimes get unattached troops but I use those either for defense or just as expendable units.

After 2 decent attacks, 3 at most, I always have to retrain troops for several hours because of the ones that have died.

Yet I see videos of players in my age or below with pages of troops, like 6-8 copies per unit, and also an army of 7 rogues and 1 other unit (I have a Rogue Hideout but no way could I get that many). How do they do that? Build an entire city of military production buildings? Save up every unattached troop they acquire and never attack?

Thanks.

DeletedUser115557

Traz mate, ya gotta get one!
Wow, Alcatraz seems nice.

However, it's apparently from the Progressive Era, which is a looong time ahead for me. Not an option yet.

Or GE, you win a lot of unattached units
Right, that seems possible. I'm very new to GE though and I find that I lose more troops than I gain unattached ones (of course I can retrain lost troops but still, it takes time). Struggling to beat stage 1.

DeletedUser114342

I've only been playing for a couple of months and just entered late middle ages. I found watching the following helped me to negotiate better:
"GE video tutorial with minimal resource loss": https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...-expedition-with-minimal-resource-loss.35664/

I can now finish level 3 of GE with no issues. I only have 2 military buildings. After GE level 3, I had so many unattached troops that I was able to do all the fighting quests in the fall event without having to wait for new units. I still have a surplus of units that I will use for GE next week

DeletedUser112892

However, it's apparently from the Progressive Era, which is a looong time ahead for me. Not an option yet.
You can get goods and BPs for Traz no matter which age you are in :)
I have Traz in HMA, some even have it in BA.

DeletedUser115557

I've only been playing for a couple of months and just entered late middle ages. I found watching the following helped me to negotiate better:
"GE video tutorial with minimal resource loss": https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...-expedition-with-minimal-resource-loss.35664/

I can now finish level 3 of GE with no issues. I only have 2 military buildings. After GE level 3, I had so many unattached troops that I was able to do all the fighting quests in the fall event without having to wait for new units. I still have a surplus of units that I will use for GE next week
Yes, when I just started GE I fought my way through but I had trouble on level 1 (especially when I realized some stages had multiple waves). I'll need to try negotiating more, and it's worked alright so far but I still need to redo sometimes when it prompts me to use diamonds.

Most guilds are happy to help you get BPs from their Great Buildings and to help with unfair trades to get them in the ground.
You can get goods and BPs for Traz no matter which age you are in :)
I have Traz in HMA, some even have it in BA.
Huh, alright. Thanks. Thought it was just your age and below. By the way, if you get a prize for contributing to someone's GB, do you get blueprints only of the same age as that GB?

DeletedUser112892

By the way, if you get a prize for contributing to someone's GB, do you get blueprints only of the same age as that GB?
You get BPs of the GB you contributed to.
For example, if you contribute to Alcatraz and the prize for spot you took is 4BPs, you will get 4 random Alcatraz BPs.

Galladhorn

Monarch
BluePrints are Gained through several actions.
– AID – The more people you Aid the bigger are the chances to get a BP. But what BP you get is random.
– The changces to gain BPs by AID can be raised with the Rainforrest GB.
– GE provides BP possible wins at several stages. Usually 2 BP´s.
– Several of the yearly Events include some BP rewards.
– Some other quests might offer BP´s as rewards.
– Investing in someone elses GB and securing a spot between 1-5. (In the 1st level of a GB usually no BPs are arwarded even for 1st spot).
And yes a described above the GB you invest in gives only BP´s for that GB. So it is the safest bet for gaining BPs for a certaing GB that you need or want.
– Joining a Guild that have a helpful culture for new players is the best advice you can take and to get some GB´s that will be very essential to having a better play.

Alcatraz is still amongst the most valuable GB´s around – at least for anybody that fights in any of the fighting options.
It is also the largest GB in FoE, which might give new players a bit of a headache. "Traz" gives unattacehd units every day – the unit you get is related to the Unit buildings you have in your City. If you only have e.g "Soldiers" you will get Soldiers from Alactraz. Alcatraz spreads out the amount of different Troops you get if you have more Unit buildings. A unit building does not even have to be attaced to a road for Alcatraz to give units. If you have a large amount of one certain kind of Unit building Alcatraz will in most cases favor that unit over other units. ( You can search for more specifics on this in the Forums).

The other strategy for new players that like the fighting game is to raise your Attack stats.
That way the chances and in combination with good fighting will make your troops last longer.
The very Early Zeus GB is a must have in that regard. Other GBs are eg. Caste Del Monte and Cathedral of Achen.
Two other GBs give special hits when fighting: Arctic Orangery "Critical Hit" and The Kraken´s special hit that completely kills one units at the start of a fight.
Latest addtion to fighting GB´s are the Terracotta.

It is also worth to note that there is a difference between Attack and Defense. Both are seperate and both includes Attack and Defense.
Defense in General is related to your City defense and Attack to your own figting play. So lets say you put up a GB like the St. Basil's Cathedral it will not give your attacking units more defense when you fight.

Last edited:

DeletedUser115557

You get BPs of the GB you contributed to.
For example, if you contribute to Alcatraz and the prize for spot you took is 4BPs, you will get 4 random Alcatraz BPs.
Oh, wow. That'd be incredibly useful then. I've just been donating FP to random GBs that I have a good chance of getting top 5 in.

BluePrints are Gained through several actions.
– AID – The more people you Aid the bigger are the chances to get a BP. But what BP you get is random.
– The changces to gain BPs by AID can be raised with the Rainforrest GB.
– GE provides BP possible wins at several stages. Usually 2 BP´s.
– Several of the yearly Events include some BP rewards.
– Some other quests might offer BP´s as rewards.
– Investing in someone elses GB and securing a spot between 1-5. (In the 1st level of a GB usually no BPs are arwarded even for 1st spot).
And yes a described above the GB you invest in gives only BP´s for that GB. So it is the safest bet for gaining BPs for a certaing GB that you need or want.
– Joining a Guild that have a helpful culture for new players is the best advice you can take and to get some GB´s that will be very essential to having a better play.

Alcatraz is still amongst the most valuable GB´s around – at least for anybody that fights in any of the fighting options.
It is also the largest GB in FoE, which might give new players a bit of a headache. "Traz" gives unattacehd units every day – the unit you get is related to the Unit buildings you have in your City. If you only have e.g "Soldiers" you will get Soldiers from Alactraz. Alcatraz spreads out the amount of different Troops you get if you have more Unit buildings. A unit building does not even have to be attaced to a road for Alcatraz to give units. If you have a large amount of one certain kind of Unit building Alcatraz will in most cases favor that unit over other units. ( You can search for more specifics on this in the Forums).

The other strategy for new players that like the fighting game is to raise your Attack stats.
That way the chances and in combination with good fighting will make your troops last longer.
The very Early Zeus GB is a must have in that regard. Other GBs are eg. Caste Del Monte and Frauenkirche of Achen.
Two other GBs give special hits when fighting: Arctic Orangery "Critical Hit" and The Kraken´s special hit that completely kills one units at the start of a fight.
Latest addtion to fighting GB´s are the Terracotta.

It is also worth to note that there is a difference between Attack and Defense. Both are seperate and both includes Attack and Defense.
Defense in General is related to your City defense and Attack to your own figting play. So lets say you put up a GB like the St. Basil's Cathedral it will not give your attacking units more defense when you fight.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I hear that aiding and sabotaging both give a chance of a BP. Do they both have the same chance of dropping one?

I didn't realize GBs were so powerful. I'll definitely need to invest in acquiring one. Only have 1 Alcatraz BP right now though so probably not that yet.

Galladhorn

Monarch
There is a antural order of the GB´s, though players that already played a long twill be able to bypass that "standard play" and device another kind of strategy. But if you want a good experience with the game it is important to go for the the most essential GB´s – There a plenty of GB´s that are now considered a No Go – They simply take up a lot of space and becomes obsolete when your advance in the Tech Tree or even if you choose to stay long time in one Era.

You can visit this page to get an overview: https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Great_Buildings

Below is a list of GB´s that in general is considered to be usefull GB´s,
though not all are equally useful depending on your play style and also how far you have advanced in the game.

THE GOOD GB´s LIST

Zeus, a must have GB, it is small and give Attack bonus.

⁕ Lightouse of Alexandria and or ⁕ Royal Albert Hall for production boost. You can have both or just one.

– Tower of Babel will work fine if staying loog time in lower Eras. Gives Goods and population – and have a small footprint.

– Hagia Sophia, A fine GB if you get it early on – Happiness and FPs, though is it not nessesarily an essential GB to have.

St. Marks is highly essential to remove any coin income problems.

⁂ Caste Del Monte. Attack Bonus and forge points.

Chaateau Frontenac, gives a higher payout from quests and wins - a most essential GB in the game now.

Ѭ
Alcatraz - Free units and Happiness, a must have for any long term fighter.

– Cape Canavarel, Small footprint and gives Forge points.

+ Innovation Tower, for the city without houses – Gives population and Forge points.
Alternatively the Habitat can be used or in addition but it does not give forge points.

– Dynamic Tower, gives Goods when Aiding.
– Rain Forrest Project, If you want to gain more BP´s while AIDing.

The Arc. The most controversial GB in the Game to Date. Gives rewards back of what you invvest in other GBs (if you take wins spots).
Up to 90%!! at level 80. Thus also gives to the Guild.

Ѭ Atlantis Museum – This is for Plunder Play attacking your neigborhood and gain more from your plunders.
Ѭ Voyager v1. Also for boosting your Plundering.

Ѭ Terracotta Army, the latest GB that levels booth the Attack and Defense of your attacking units.
Ѭ The Kraken. Special first strike Attack and FP´s.
Ѭ Artic Orangery, Critical attack and Forge points – Its big but its good.

– The Blue Galaxy, Can double the output if your collections.
– Temple of Relics, Essential if your a playing GE. Give higher changes to win better rewards in GE.

– Observatory, A GB often requested to join more serious guilds, since it adds to the Guild.

– For your City Defense St. Basils Cathedral is good.

-----------------------

Nearly all other other GB´s are not adviceable to build. Often their output turn obosolete wihthing a few Era´s or they are simply outperformed by new special buildings won in Quests and Events. Some of them are immensly big for what they give which is another reason not to build them.

Emberguard

Legend
Between Alcatraz and winning GE Lvl 4 In Iron Age I was able to get over 100 unattached troops of each unit in a very short time.

If you're able to complete GE Lvl 4 each week without using unattached troops in GE then you should be able to build up your troops quite easily. Zeus, CDM and CoA will be essential for this unless you're able to get enough goods to negotiate each week (at one point I was going through 200 of each good per week).

DeletedUser112892

Between Alcatraz and winning GE Lvl 4 In Iron Age I was able to get over 100 unattached troops of each unit in a very short time.

If you're able to complete GE Lvl 4 each week without using unattached troops in GE then you should be able to build up your troops quite easily. Zeus, CDM and CoA will be essential for this unless you're able to get enough goods to negotiate each week (at one point I was going through 200 of each good per week).
However, as Rogues are extremely rare in GE, and they are most powerful units to have, it is best to have Traz combined with Rogue Hideouts.
If you don't want Rogues, then yes, GE is very good source of unattached units.