• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

how to stop the stalemate in gvg

DeletedUser96901

the biggest problem is the reward system: we get unbelievable bad rewards

you spend many and get back almost nothing
so the people don't see a reason to spend more goods or continue fighting

that is the lack of interest

DeletedUser96867

As for my idea on how to get GvG moving again, well the problem seems to be that guilds are more likely to siege NPC's over other guilds especially when it can cost so much. Thus I'd say seperate the cost to siege NPC's from siegeing other guilds. I can think of two ways to work out the costs for the sieges but in both cases it requires that kind of seperation so that we make it more attractive to attack eachother than to dominate the NPC's. It might not help all guilds get onto the map but it should address the issue that this thread started with which was "how to stop the stalemate in gvg".

A couple problems with that. The decrease in goods costs for attacking another guild put no system in place which would keep a few guilds from taking most of the map. Small guilds which took a few npc sectors would then be highly targeted by the top guilds as the top guilds could attack then at low cost compared to attacking NPC. It also creates a whole new loophole to exploit. Use ghost guilds or something similar to attack the NPC sectors at low cost and then attack the ghost guilds sector with the main guild. You just have your ghost guild advance into the npc sectors ahead of your main guild. Presuming the cost of taking NPC sectors is increased similar to now the ghost guild will be paying in the 5x10 range for a siege while the main guild will pay the reduced cost.

Having said that, remember that we are reaching the point where there are few npc sectors left, so the cost difference to attack between NPC and guild held will soon be irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4879

@ fischh
Just my thoughts, really not sure why i wasted an hour of my time doing that.
INDEED!!

DeletedUser96867

@ fischh
Just my thoughts, really not sure why i wasted an hour of my time doing that.
INDEED!!

I'm told it is because i just like to complain, whine, and cause troubles like everyone else here trying to make useful suggestions which will be ignored.

DeletedUser15432

Well, my thought is that GvG is actually fine as it is with regards to goods costs. Think about, Ladies and Gentlemen, throughout history, smaller entities have been attacked by larger entities until the larger entity has become so unwieldy that it can no longer afford to expand by conquest.

Example throughout history are legion, but the best example would be the Roman Empire, from 270BC to 110AD, they were constantly expanding the borders, however, after 110AD, it became prohibitive with regards to costs in maintaining the huge standing army required for expansion as well as the static garrisons to protect the territory already acquired. for the next 240 tears the empire remained a stabilizing influence throughout western Europe, and only started to decline after civil wars and pressure from external sources, even then the decline took over 100 years before the western empire ceased to exist. The Eastern empire endured for a further 1000+ years.

From certain players, I see nothing bit constant criticism of other players and ideas put forward that are either non constructive or would actually exploit current bugs in the game for the players advantage.

Please do not criticize players by name or criticize the development team

DeletedUser96867

Well, my thought is that GvG is actually fine as it is with regards to goods costs. Think about, Ladies and Gentlemen, throughout history, smaller entities have been attacked by larger entities until the larger entity has become so unwieldy that it can no longer afford to expand by conquest.

So we just sit around watching the stalemate? Sounds like a blast.

DeletedUser13805

Example throughout history are legion, but the best example would be the Roman Empire, from 270BC to 110AD, they were constantly expanding the borders, however, after 110AD, it became prohibitive with regards to costs in maintaining the huge standing army required for expansion as well as the static garrisons to protect the territory already acquired. for the next 240 tears the empire remained a stabilizing influence throughout western Europe, and only started to decline after civil wars and pressure from external sources, even then the decline took over 100 years before the western empire ceased to exist. The Eastern empire endured for a further 1000+ years.

From certain players, I see nothing bit constant criticism of other players and ideas put forward that are either non constructive or would actually exploit current bugs in the game for the players advantage.

Please do not criticize players by name or criticize the development team

thanks for the history lesson but it has nothing at all to do with trying to find a way to stop the bordom that now exists in the game.

there is no other way to describe the gvg game now other than boring, as everyone or almost everyone has come to a stop. pvp is empty of players as no one is attacking hoods except for a few die hards like myself but there is no competition. : (

i have never known a game in such a short space of time come grinding down to a halt
when it was first introduced it was busy time for everyone fights were happening all over the maps now there is silence its like its peace time and no one will dare attack another guild which is what the whole game was about guild wars !!! except there isnt any war ???

DeletedUser101862

3)GVG RESET
Reset gvg after a certain time period perhaps 8 weeks. The first few weeks of gvg are active as guilds advance on the npc map. The middle of the cycle will have some activity as guilds move for position and to take and hold reward sectors. The last week or 2 of the cycle would have activity as guilds attempt to advance in the rankings for the end of the gvg tournament cycle. Note: A gvg reset will make it easier for new guilds to enter gvg, for guilds to changethe ages they take part in gvg as they advance, and also allow guilds to take a break from gvg if they want to take a cycle off to focus on other parts of the game. Presuming there were still goods costs for gvg sectors some amount of goods would have to be paid back at the reset.

Obviously players wouldn't bother to compete if they knew that all the work they put in would be taken from them in a couple of months and they would be sent back to the beginning. It would be like playing a game that had to be restarted from the beginning every time you turned of the computer. Not a good idea in my opinion.

thanks for the history lesson but it has nothing at all to do with trying to find a way to stop the bordom that now exists in the game.

there is no other way to describe the gvg game now other than boring, as everyone or almost everyone has come to a stop. pvp is empty of players as no one is attacking hoods except for a few die hards like myself but there is no competition. : (

i have never known a game in such a short space of time come grinding down to a halt
when it was first introduced it was busy time for everyone fights were happening all over the maps now there is silence its like its peace time and no one will dare attack another guild which is what the whole game was about guild wars !!! except there isnt any war ???

PvP towers have far more competition now than they every did before. How is there less competition now? players are competing for their guilds and earning PvP points in multiple towers, more PvP points than they could have earned previously. The competition has gone up, not down. PvP itself has gone down as most players main focus is now on GvG battles rather than neighbourhood battles.

Guilds all at a stand still? That's funny because myself and my guild are constantly fending off sieges from other guilds. You wouldn't see that side of things though because you don't compete in GvG to begin with. We also attack other guilds on a regular basis and know of a lot of other guilds doing the same. You make a lot of claims about a feature which you don't even play. How would you possibly know? If you're not sat staring at the GvG maps 24 hours a day then you wouldn't know. Obviously GvG was going to slow down when the maps filled up, that doesn't mean a stand still, guilds are still attacking and taking sectors. The only difference is that there aren't 10-15 guilds taking 5 sectors each on a map each day any more. Costs have escalated, battles have got harder and as a result GvG has got slower. Everybody knew this would be the case before GvG was even released...

DeletedUser96867

Obviously players wouldn't bother to compete if they knew that all the work they put in would be taken from them in a couple of months and they would be sent back to the beginning. It would be like playing a game that had to be restarted from the beginning every time you turned of the computer. Not a good idea in my opinion.

I complete disagree. Players take part in pvp every week to see all their battle points taken away and sent back to the beginning. Every age we work to reorganize our cities, spend coin and supplies upgrading our buildings knowing we'll only be 'starting over again' when we reach the next age and do the next upgrade. That is what keeps those aspects of the game fresh and enjoyable.

We've been taking part in gvg for about 4 weeks now, the first 2 weeks doing all the 'work' was the only fun part, now it's just a dull boring grind. The only reason we continue to maintain our position on the gvg map is to preserve our huge investment in goods, there is nothing enjoyable about doing this every day. It wouldn't be anything like restarting a game every time you turn of your computer. I've been playing for about 8 months, with the 8 week cycle i proposed we would be just starting the 5th round of gvg in my time here, with about 6.5 full rounds each year.

If you have a better solution i'd love to hear it.

DeletedUser276

If it is that bad Fischh you dont have to partake of gvg. In fact if its not enjoyable I would say opt out of gvg. It is an optional part of the game after all. Especially if it is torturing you that bad every day to log in and play. After all the more you play the more goods you spend. So by your definition your throwing good goods (ooohhh punny) after bad goods.

Amy Steele

General
Unlike with pvp where you lose nothing when it is reset (the only losses being of units in battle) with gvg if it were reset you would lose all sectors you had gained. It's hard to give up what you have already fought for and won... I think if it were to be reset every few weeks then there would have to be some kind of reward system - like maybe keeping your guild level from round to round (with all the associated benefits).

DeletedUser101862

I complete disagree. Players take part in pvp every week to see all their battle points taken away and sent back to the beginning. We've been taking part in gvg for about 4 weeks now, the first 2 weeks doing all the 'work' was the only fun part, now it's just a dull boring grind. The only reason we continue to maintain our position on the gvg map is to preserve our huge investment in goods, there is nothing enjoyable about doing this every day. It wouldn't be anything like restarting a game every time you turn of your computer. I've been playing for about 8 months, with the 8 week cycle i proposed we would be just starting the 5th round of gvg in my time here, with about 6.5 full rounds each year.

If you have a better solution i'd love to hear it.

PvP towers are completely different. There are rewards for the top player each week and they have always been weekly competitions. Those who participate in them earn their rank points too which are not taken away at the end of each week when the towers reset, also there is no cost for participating in PvP towers. You simply use up troops, you don't have to pay goods.

Before you say "reset but keep the GvG ranks", that too is a bad idea. The first few weeks of GvG was a nightmare for many players. It took up far too much time in order for guilds to keep up with others who have players who are more active. That fast paced side of GvG which requires close to 24 hour attention to achieve anything is not enjoyable, it is more stressful than fun. Forge of Empires is not a fast paced game. If you are looking for fast paced then you're looking in the wrong place.

I admit that goods costs are far too high and slow things to a pace far too slow for anybody to enjoy. Having to stockpile goods for weeks on end just to be able to siege a sector is not good and needs changing, but, having to stockpile goods for a few days gives time for the guild to communicate and work strategies and tactics to reach a final assault plan which is prepared for when they can afford their siege. That side of things is enjoyable and helps build a community and keep players interested. All out scrambled attacks from random people in random places with no clue what their goal is going to be is just chaos.

DeletedUser96867

If it is that bad Fischh you dont have to partake of gvg. In fact if its not enjoyable I would say opt out of gvg. It is an optional part of the game after all. Especially if it is torturing you that bad every day to log in and play. After all the more you play the more goods you spend. So by your definition your throwing good goods (ooohhh punny) after bad goods.

I'm trying to find solutions to the problem many players see in gvg perhaps at some point you'd like to help find solutions to some of the problems. If your only contribution is to tell players with suggestions for fixing problems to opt out than nothing will ever get improved. What tortures me ever day is logging in every day and seeing no effort to try to fix the problems. If you want to ask what is the number 1 reason i'm close to quitting this game it is reading your posts.

Unlike with pvp where you lose nothing when it is reset (the only losses being of units in battle) with gvg if it were reset you would lose all sectors you had gained. It's hard to give up what you have already fought for and won... I think if it were to be reset every few weeks then there would have to be some kind of reward system - like maybe keeping your guild level from round to round (with all the associated benefits).

There would have to be large rewards at the end of each cycle for your age ranking and your sectors held. Just like in pvp there are medal rewards at the end of the week for your weeks effort. See #3 and #4 aspects of my post #12.

DeletedUser13805

@ Sergent
let me give you a bit of a history lesson here

players have played pvp since the game first came out. guess what ??? every week the scores would be reset back to zero !!!!! and would you believe players actually enjoyed it enough to compete week after week, trying to gain a place further up the tower or better still trying to win it.
it was competition between players and although it was never perfect it got a lot of players interested and they enjoyed playing it

now pvp is dead as far as real competition goes, as the only reason there are players listed in the pvp towers these days is because they decided to add the points won in gvg to the pvp towers
if this wasn't the case then you would see empty towers as no one is attacking in hoods anymore were the real competition for pvp was.
you can not call a team of players all helping each other in a guild.. a competition in pvp yet that what is happening.
single player pvp is dead and been replaced by a team of players so its no contest you will only win a pvp tower so long as your guild provides the action for you ?
do you get the point now ?
you might be busy in your guild collecting goods it must be very exciting for you but its not everyones cup of tea and certainly not mine.
i want action and i still gain action by fighting my hood and doing some odd gvg battles for points when they come along that is.

so just because your busy but i even have my doubts on how busy you really are as it doesnt seem to be the case for most guilds as they all seem to be stuck in bordom land hence this thread of how to shake it up a bit and get some action going

and the point to this reply is to say it would work wonders to reset the game back after a spell of time. it would keep all players busy and not just the few players but everyone

DeletedUser96867

PvP towers are completely different. There are rewards for the top player each week and they have always been weekly competitions. Those who participate in them earn their rank points too which are not taken away at the end of each week when the towers reset, also there is no cost for participating in PvP towers. You simply use up troops, you don't have to pay goods.

See #1 in my proposal greatly reducing the goods cost, which means gvg would mainly be use of troops cost.
See # 4 in my proposal for rewards at the end of the cycle plus my last sentence in #3
(think that is in my post #12)

Note: players fighting in gvg also earn ranking points which would not be taken away at the end of each gvg cycle.

"That fast paced side of GvG which requires close to 24 hour attention to achieve anything is not enjoyable, it is more stressful than fun." What is not enjoyable is the lost of sectors which cost 5k-10k goods to take. What isn't fun is checking the gvg many times a day week after week, month after month doing little more than replacing armies damaged by mountains and rivers. With a reset if gvg doesn't go well for a guild for one cycle they may pull the plug and try again the next cycle. Just like if i look in the pvp tower mid week see someone 500k points ahead of me, i say forget it i'll try again next week.

"All out scrambled attacks from random people in random places with no clue what their goal is going to be is just chaos."
And now that most players know what they are doing i expect each cycle would see more organized strategies from guilds who would now have goals planned out.

DeletedUser101862

@ Sergent
let me give you a bit of a history lesson here

players have played pvp since the game first came out. guess what ??? every week the scores would be reset back to zero !!!!! and would you believe players actually enjoyed it enough to compete week after week, trying to gain a place further up the tower or better still trying to win it.
it was competition between players and although it was never perfect it got a lot of players interested and they enjoyed playing it

now pvp is dead as far as real competition goes, as the only reason there are players listed in the pvp towers these days is because they decided to add the points won in gvg to the pvp towers
if this wasn't the case then you would see empty towers as no one is attacking in hoods anymore were the real competition for pvp was.
you can not call a team of players all helping each other in a guild.. a competition in pvp yet that what is happening.
single player pvp is dead and been replaced by a team of players so its no contest you will only win a pvp tower so long as your guild provides the action for you ?
do you get the point now ?
you might be busy in your guild collecting goods it must be very exciting for you but its not everyones cup of tea and certainly not mine.
i want action and i still gain action by fighting my hood and doing some odd gvg battles for points when they come along that is.

so just because your busy but i even have my doubts on how busy you really are as it doesnt seem to be the case for most guilds as they all seem to be stuck in bordom land hence this thread of how to shake it up a bit and get some action going

and the point to this reply is to say it would work wonders to reset the game back after a spell of time. it would keep all players busy and not just the few players but everyone

Please explain to me how a GvG battle is any different to a PvP battle? Also please don't try and give me a "history lesson". This forum account may only be attached to young game account but I can assure you I have been on this game since it was first released as beta and I have seen every update which has come and gone. I need no history lessons. Thanks anyway though. Also, the very fact that GvG battles were decided to give PvP tower points is what boosted the competition. It would have killed the competition if nobody got points from GvG battles, as you said, nobody is attacking their neighbourhoods any more. To battle in GvG and to battle neighbours are the same thing. In one, you benefit and nobody else does, in the other, you benefit and so does your guild. It's not as if somebody else is there helping you win your battles is it. Once you attack an army then you defeat that army. * units against 8 units. No difference at all to attacking a neighbour with 8 units against 8 units.

See #1 in my proposal greatly reducing the goods cost, which means gvg would mainly be use of troops cost.
See # 4 in my proposal for rewards at the end of the cycle plus my last sentence in #3
(think that is in my post #12)

Note: players fighting in gvg also earn ranking points which would not be taken away at the end of each gvg cycle.

"That fast paced side of GvG which requires close to 24 hour attention to achieve anything is not enjoyable, it is more stressful than fun." What is not enjoyable is the lost of sectors which cost 5k-10k goods to take. What isn't fun is checking the gvg many times a day week after week, month after month doing little more than replacing armies damaged by mountains and rivers. With a reset if gvg doesn't go well for a guild for one cycle they may pull the plug and try again the next cycle. Just like if i look in the pvp tower mid week see someone 500k points ahead of me, i say forget it i'll try again next week.

"All out scrambled attacks from random people in random places with no clue what their goal is going to be is just chaos."
And now that most players know what they are doing i expect each cycle would see more organized strategies from guilds who would now have goals planned out.

Ok so basically you don't want GvG you want PvP? You want everything GvG to go to the exact same format as what we originally had with PvP? What an exciting idea!

I am completely aware that losing a sector isn't enjoyable, especially a sector which cost a lot, but as a guild you should be able to defend your sectors. If not then yes, you will lose them sooner or later.

As for players knowing what they are doing, I'm pretty sure they did. The issue was that every man and his dog was already swarming around the GvG maps like flies on... rotten fruit ;). This meant that players were scrambled and nobody was communicating because their was too much going on all at once. That is not enjoyable, it is hectic and just causes arguments when one player does one thing and wasn't supposed to and blah blah blah. As I said, It's not a fast paced game, never has been, never will be.

In short terms. GvG added a new aspect to the game, if you don't enjoy it then don't play it, but PLEASE don't make suggestions to turn GvG into PvP. PvP is readily available for those who want to take part.

DeletedUser96867

@ sergeant mason

I'm not trying to turn gvg into pvp. Gvg would still require a guild effort to take part, it would mainly be the same as now without the huge goods costs, with a changed reward system, and with something to keep it fresh. What i'm trying to do is turn guild vs guild into a feature which actually has a guild vs guild aspect because right now there is little to no guild vs guild activity in the feature and there won't be without a drastic change. I really really don't understand your argument that my suggestions would turn gvg into pvp in any way. If you really want to make the argument that my suggestions does that please explain you reasoning.

" but as a guild you should be able to defend your sectors."
You were the one complaining about gvg needing 24 hour attention. With the greatly reduced goods costs of taking sectors, and a gvg which can be restarted in a few weeks if things go really badly, players wouldn't feel they need to pay as close attention. As a guild we can't defend every sector 24hrs a day, no guild can.

DeletedUser101862

@ sergeant mason

I'm not trying to turn gvg into pvp. Gvg would still require a guild effort to take part, it would mainly be the same as now without the huge goods costs, with a changed reward system, and with something to keep it fresh. What i'm trying to do is turn guild vs guild into a feature which actually has a guild vs guild aspect because right now there is little to no guild vs guild activity in the feature and there won't be without a drastic change. I really really don't understand your argument that my suggestions would turn gvg into pvp in any way. A more active gvg feature would create a feature even more distinct from pvp than gvg currently is.

Not sure what guild you're in but I would suggest a change. My guild has action on a daily basis, whether placing a siege or being sieged, we have action. The simple side of it is that guilds with better communication will get better results. If you communicate with your guild, know what goods boosts your players have and work effectively as a team having players produce goods which they have the boost for when you are short of them, it's not all that difficult to build the treasury. At later stages yes, that's why I think a cap should be introduced on goods costs at between 500-1000 goods per siege. Somewhere in that range of price is more than enough to slow guilds from dominating too quickly and stops the issue of slowing guilds too much.

DeletedUser13805

Please explain to me how a GvG battle is any different to a PvP battle? Also please don't try and give me a "history lesson". This forum account may only be attached to young game account but I can assure you I have been on this game since it was first released as beta and I have seen every update which has come and gone. I need no history lessons. Thanks anyway though. Also, the very fact that GvG battles were decided to give PvP tower points is what boosted the competition. It would have killed the competition if nobody got points from GvG battles, as you said, nobody is attacking their neighbourhoods any more. To battle in GvG and to battle neighbours are the same thing. In one, you benefit and nobody else does, in the other, you benefit and so does your guild. It's not as if somebody else is there helping you win your battles is it. Once you attack an army then you defeat that army. * units against 8 units. No difference at all to attacking a neighbour with 8 units against 8 units.

Ok so basically you don't want GvG you want PvP? You want everything GvG to go to the exact same format as what we originally had with PvP? What an exciting idea!

I am completely aware that losing a sector isn't enjoyable, especially a sector which cost a lot, but as a guild you should be able to defend your sectors. If not then yes, you will lose them sooner or later.

As for players knowing what they are doing, I'm pretty sure they did. The issue was that every man and his dog was already swarming around the GvG maps like flies on... rotten fruit ;). This meant that players were scrambled and nobody was communicating because their was too much going on all at once. That is not enjoyable, it is hectic and just causes arguments when one player does one thing and wasn't supposed to and blah blah blah. As I said, It's not a fast paced game, never has been, never will be.

In short terms. GvG added a new aspect to the game, if you don't enjoy it then don't play it, but PLEASE don't make suggestions to turn GvG into PvP. PvP is readily available for those who want to take part.

you can not be serious if you compare gvg fights to a real pvp hood fight ?
do you really need me to explain the difference ?

for a player who says he has been around a long time i dont seem to recall you and i thought i knew most of the high ranked players who have been around.

i am glad your getting some action in but try looking around at the others try to see the bigger picture here as many are just stalemated, in there worlds
you have come on here all guns blazing accuseing me of being a troll and i just wonder if its you who is just trying to troll here and wind up ? as i can not belive some of your responses it looks more like your out for a fight rather than tackle the problems