• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023 Feedback Thread

Ladysmith

Private
You heard correctly, the changes to GBG will be coming with the next season. Read all about it here, and post any feedback below.
Well, one thing for certain, it played into the hands of the Bot Users and Mega Guilds. Top Three Guild on Old system, 30 in new system... Guild was set up for GVG, not GBG. Fighting 280 repetitive battles is so boring, no hint of adventure at all, and watch the Bot's clean up.
If attrition reduction is limited to 80%, how come players are adding 20000+ battles. I've watched a known Bot user go past me like I was on holiday.

Ladysmith

Private
This is designed so that only super strong players that spend loads of diamonds on gold passes and have their cities filled with new event buildings will stand a chance while having everyone else unable to do much. Inno creating a caste of rich and a cast of poor
that's been the path for quite a while. I've reduced diamond usage by 50% and boy, does it show.

Ladysmith

Private
You heard correctly, the changes to GBG will be coming with the next season. Read all about it here, and post any feedback below.
Trouble is, this was to mask getting rid of GVG, probably the biggest mistake ever. GBG is just a money making farm using ideas I put forward to improve GVG. The trouble with GBG is itself. Get to Future and stay there, grab some AE/OE/VFE troops and you're laughing, no need the misery of Oceanic future as there is no reason to move forward. There are no new challenges, no new 'Viking Build' or anything else. The rewards on GE are pointless after Future (and probably before).
But hey ho. Travian was once a mega game, look at it now.

Ladysmith

Private

harold mouse

Corporal
They are not suposed to encourage you to play GBG. They are supposed to bring more balance to GBG.

The may say they aim to bring balance to GBG, but that is not what they do. So long as they retain the old matchmaking system, we must believe that what they want to do is see overpromoted guilds crushed and humiliated, and with the new ranking table they want to see strong guilds demoted and humiliated too. I think the actual purpose is to discourage players from playing at all.

Deleted member 127677

What Harold is saying is quite likely to end up the result if this complete farce of a ranking and prizes for lower dime vs 1000 league points goes on for much longer. My live world just saw two guilds ranked outside of the top 50 in the championship when this fourth season started, now propelled to spot 4 and 5 respectively. Meanwhile, we have a 5-person guild that came 3rd on our board, ranked higher than the guild that beat them by 7x the victory points, and would always beat them. The smaller guild just happens to have achieved a win in a lower league or lower dime. There are numerous examples, and those have been mentioned both in the beta forum and here, several times.

If it needs to be spelled out, a vicious circle of Gbg decline looks like this
- discourage bigger, stronger guilds from competing
- those bigger stronger guilds will do the minimum to stay in league, so the maps hardly move at all
- even bigger and stronger guilds get frustrated at the pace and look elsewhere for their fun
- the feature dies out of disinterest, because nobody can be bothered for more than a couple of days per season, at most, maybe even forget that a new season starts, who knows
- result… your guess is as good as mine

By comparison, a virtuous circle looks like this
- encourage guilds to fight, get to and stay in top league
- more players get interested and seek to improve
- more players pay attention to Gbg
- more players take fights in Gbg
- more movement on the maps encourages more people to check out and play the feature
- result…

Now, this cannot be rocket science. There are plenty of suggestions for how this could be done. Please sort it before we get another similar championship, where the best anyone can hope for is more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord
Please sort it before we get another similar season, where the best anyone can hope for is more of the same.

I can tell you right now that is not going to happen and it has nothing to do with them wanting to do it or not. Next season starts thursday, so figure it out. Besides that I have been around long enough to see that repeating the same over and over again has no influence on the decisions made by Inno. They have come up with a ranking they feel is just, so get used to it being around for some time before they will even consider making changes to it. There are plenty of players just like me who do not care about that ranking at all. They/I fight for the profits it brings and do not give a rats ass about guild ranking. Didn't before and don't do now. Might as well go back to the very first guild ranking. At least that never brought discussions of it being fair or not.

Just my dime on the subject.

LastWarrior

Brigadier-General
If you finish 1st or 10th in the Championship, the only thing you get extra are bragging rights for 1st, who the heck worries about that?
You get your prizes for winning or getting positions on your 6 Battle fields.
However I do believe the match up of Guilds needs looking at.

Deleted member 127677

I can tell you right now that is not going to happen and it has nothing to do with them wanting to do it or not. Next season starts thursday, so figure it out. Besides that I have been around long enough to see that repeating the same over and over again has no influence on the decisions made by Inno. They have come up with a ranking they feel is just, so get used to it being around for some time before they will even consider making changes to it. There are plenty of players just like me who do not care about that ranking at all. They/I fight for the profits it brings and do not give a rats ass about guild ranking. Didn't before and don't do now. Might as well go back to the very first guild ranking. At least that never brought discussions of it being fair or not.

Just my dime on the subject.
Just edited my post, I meant a similar Championship. With similar issues, yo-yoing guilds, big but more competitive guilds in 1000 lp losing interest since they see very little return on their goods, troops and maybe dime investment, except each season. We are already seeing those guilds losing players in my live world, and that will likely continue. If you want to compete, you go to a competitive guild, and if you are less interested but still want one level of the main building, you go to a good enough guild that can stay 5th in high dime and win lower dime. Those who are too strong or proud to drop down will lose people until they are no longer strong enough to hang on, most likely.

You may not care about the ranking, but there are plenty who do. What it is showing right now is precisely what I said above - where should you go if you want to get that main prize, or where to go for guaranteed fights, if that is what you are looking for. If you want to hang around in a guild that can or will do the bare minimum, that is an option too, that shows as well. But what is not fair is for the guilds that do better, to not have anything to show for it. You end up 2nd in 1000 lp diamond for 6 seasons and you end up ranking in the mid 20s, compared to a guild that wins a couple of platinum or baby dime seasons? How is that in any way going to encourage you to keep trying?

Don’t know if it’s relevant, but I am not complaining for my own guild. We are leading the championship in our world. I am complaining because the system is flawed and won’t provide the result it could.

Deleted member 127677

If you finish 1st or 10th in the Championship, the only thing you get extra are bragging rights for 1st, who the heck worries about that?
Agree about match up, but that is easily fixed if they fix the leagues and encourage the competition. Plenty of people care enough about rank to wonder how they are seeing a guild with 10 players beating a more active guild with 70. What becomes difficult is player motivation in the guilds that end up ranked way below where they are actually fitting in the result board, compared to what their championship rank looks like.

harold mouse

Corporal
It's not just the rankings that are messed up. Guilds strong enough to remain consistently in 1000LP league are deprived of Tower fragments.

Agent327

Overlord
You may not care about the ranking, but there are plenty who do. What it is showing right now is precisely what I said above - where should you go if you want to get that main prize, or where to go for guaranteed fights, if that is what you are looking for. If you want to hang around in a guild that can or will do the bare minimum, that is an option too, that shows as well. But what is not fair is for the guilds that do better, to not have anything to show for it. You end up 2nd in 1000 lp diamond for 6 seasons and you end up ranking in the mid 20s, compared to a guild that wins a couple of platinum or baby dime seasons? How is that in any way going to encourage you to keep trying?

Who are you trying to convince? I see you repeating the same over and over again in response to almost everyone that gives feedback. You do not need to convince me. As far as I am concerned these changes are an improvement no matter the ranking, or not being able to get the Tower of Champions. I can live with that and see no urgent reason to demand immediate changes. Guilds lose interest. Guilds lose players. So what? There will always be others who will replace them.

Plenty of people care enough about rank to wonder how they are seeing a guild with 10 players beating a more active guild with 70.

If a guild with 10 players beats a guild with 70 the 10 player guild is the active one. Something that was already happening in GBG and GvG. That's how much rank has always meant.

What becomes difficult is player motivation in the guilds that end up ranked way below where they are actually fitting in the result board, compared to what their championship rank looks like.

If motivation in a guild purely depends on that there is something wrong with that guild. Players in most Guilds have much more chances to profit from this new battleground, so motivation in those guilds is likely to go up. For every down there is an up.

Deleted member 127677

Who are you trying to convince? I see you repeating the same over and over again in response to almost everyone that gives feedback. You do not need to convince me. As far as I am concerned these changes are an improvement no matter the ranking, or not being able to get the Tower of Champions. I can live with that and see no urgent reason to demand immediate changes. Guilds lose interest. Guilds lose players. So what? There will always be others who will replace them.

If a guild with 10 players beats a guild with 70 the 10 player guild is the active one. Something that was already happening in GBG and GvG. That's how much rank has always meant.

If motivation in a guild purely depends on that there is something wrong with that guild. Players in most Guilds have much more chances to profit from this new battleground, so motivation in those guilds is likely to go up. For every down there is an up.
Fair points all and I am not trying to convince you. I am stating what I see in my world. I still find these changes an improvement, but if the season which just ended is an indication, it will go south fast. There is no incentive to compete if you can’t win and there are only two guilds on the board. Spend the minimum and be done with the season. Even if there are 3 guilds on the board, you can do the same. Agree to not fight, save guild treasury, you’re not going to fall out of league. Simply because it doesn’t actually matter, all that matters is the win. If you can’t have it, you don’t fight.

As for the example above, no, the guild with 10 actives beating a guild of 70, even when that was done in Gvg, is not an indication of them being *more* active, it is an indication that they have more people doing Gvg. They may be doing nothing else. In the current ranking system, it is an indication of them having won a season outside of 1000 lp diamond league, having been propelled to 1000 lp league as a consequence, and the other guild having remained in that same league throughout. Which one is stroger?

Agent327

Overlord
There is no incentive to compete if you can’t win and there are only two guilds on the board. Spend the minimum and be done with the season. Even if there are 3 guilds on the board, you can do the same. Agree to not fight, save guild treasury, you’re not going to fall out of league. Simply because it doesn’t actually matter, all that matters is the win. If you can’t have it, you don’t fight.

As an individual player you always win, so there is no need for an incentive.

As for the example above, no, the guild with 10 actives beating a guild of 70, even when that was done in Gvg, is not an indication of them being *more* active, it is an indication that they have more people doing Gvg. They may be doing nothing else.

Same applies to GBG. There is no tool to measure active.

In the current ranking system, it is an indication of them having won a season outside of 1000 lp diamond league, having been propelled to 1000 lp league as a consequence, and the other guild having remained in that same league throughout. Which one is stroger?

That still does not tell you how active they had to be to win that season, or which of the two guilds is the most active. Active is nothing more than an observation that can be wrong.

Deleted member 127677

As an individual player you always win, so there is no need for an incentive.
Maybe we are talking about different features or care differently about how they might work. For me, this is a collective feature where the stated objective is to win. The guild could sit and do nothing for 11 days, having taken the board, and it wins. Mission accomplished. Is it fun? No. Do the individuals benefit? Hardly, although the occasional break is nice too. But is it the aim with this new format of GbG to have guilds sit out the season once the first hour is done? If so, make it 1 hour and give us a feature where by common accord we pull the plug on it, and stop the season entirely.

That still does not tell you how active they had to be to win that season, or which of the two guilds is the most active. Active is nothing more than an observation that can be wrong.
In this particular example it is obvious. We can discuss specifics till the cows come home, but the overall issue remains. We have several guilds with 3-10 players sitting higher in ranks than guilds who beat them when they are on the same board, because those smaller guilds achieve their wins in other leagues. For anyone who has ever tried to lead anything, that is problematic. A 2nd place and victory over another guild can mean nothing, when that other guilds comes back two weeks later with an achievement they could not get while competing against you, and you may not get unless you are very lucky on the board you are fighting in. That situation affects 1 guild for sure on every 1000 lp board, and potentially up to 3 guilds on every 1000 lp board.

Vesiger

Monarch
We had a great season in 'lower diamond' this time round - three guilds fighting over the centre, one guild sneakily spreading sideways, and I didn't really see what the others were up to as they were on the far side of the map :D The top guild managed to score enough to take a decisive lead fairly early on, but not to completely dominate the map; we made a tacit non-aggression pact with the sideways guild, who proceeded to spread sideways in the other direction, and concentrated on battling numbers One and Two. Massive struggles for second place, involving both of us getting pushed back to our home sector at different points in the season, and fighting for sectors that required up to 320 battles to win (and where our neighbours were deleting traps and using diamonds to increase the fortifications just as my attrition was running out!) In the end we got second place (or 'won', as we deservedly regarded it) with about fifteen hours to spare, and hung onto it.
I don't think anyone was busy calculating whether they would get higher up the league table by throwing the season, or whether life was easier in the 'lower diamond' league (it will probably be back to top guild farming next week); they were all going at it hammer and tongs and playing the board for its own sake. And then we got a congratulatory message afterwards from our erstwhile opponents - chivalry all round!

NEO 1

Private
Does anyone seriously consider GBG a good feature? Whats exciting about shooting fish in a barrel? GvG is 100% better to play. We have had around 10 years of fun with GvG, Now we will get 10 years of total boredom with GBG,,,,,,Well done Inno :(

Does anyone seriously consider GBG a good feature? Whats exciting about shooting fish in a barrel? GvG is 100% better to play. We have had around 10 years of fun with GvG, Now we will get 10 years of total boredom with GBG,,,,,,Well done Inno :(
I find GBG much more enjoyable and exciting than GvG.
In GvG most of the action takes place around reset, in GBG you have action all around the clock. GBG is also way more tactical and challenging than GvG. And it's more rewarding than GvG - even with the new changes.

Last edited:

Kyrael

FoE Team
Community Manager
Regarding Kyrael’s recent announcement concerning addressing GbG feedback. I like the new changes and think they are a big improvement on the previous system, but what wasn’t covered in the “Addressing feedback” announcement was:
Are any of our suggestions being considered? Such as the suggestion by several players, that players should be able to donate diamonds to the guild treasury, so that the cost of “instant building” could be shared amongst guild members, instead of just individual players.

All popular suggestions and feedback are certainly considered, and this topic is far from closed so expect also to see more communication on this in future. I'm not able to comment on what may change or will not change, as this is to be decided by game design. I should also say that as we are a live online game with regular updates, we have schedule and version limitations which mean that sometimes changes can be a bit slower than a game which is already a finished product. As we come to the end of the year however, we certainly will be putting a big emphasis on reflecting on the feedback, and from a Support Team perspective, we will be ensuring to refine and reiterate the important feedback points, and put additional focus on ensuring the current pain points are well understood by game design.