• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disgusted by whale oil plant :(

DeletedUser

hey brahminator, i agree with your post, however the problem people are having with the whaling station in the game isnt that it exists, but of how it looks, it seems most people who dont like it simply just dont want to look at the graphics of it.

DeletedUser

Yuchhh

I just discovered the map section that gives me my booster for IndA . . . yep, its whaling. But hold on a minute, no one in my guild/neighbors/friends has an IndA goods building. They seem to rely on the GBs and other specialty buildings that give off goods of their age . . So who actually needs or has a whaling station and why would you have one if you don't like it?

(But after all this whining in this thread I AM gonna build one, just to see how bad it can really be.)

DeletedUser1081

... I don't think the game producers should whitewash history for today's sensibilities. It's only by understanding how things were actually done in the past, that we can improve on what we ourselves are doing today.

But but but history is being whitewashed and distorted all the time in this game. Some things are close enough to be endearing, but it's hardly a realistic depiction of European history.

Some people are letting the developers/artists know they find the graphics and/or concept of the whale-oil plant disturbing. The developers/artists can do what they want with that input, obviously, but saying that particular depiction needs to remain in order to preserve some sort of "historical accuracy" isn't a very strong argument.

The argument that the building "needs to look distinctive" by portraying strung-up animals isn't a very convincing one either - there's nothing particularly distinctive about the other Industrial Age goods buildings. I don't see any heaps of guano, miners coughing their lungs out, filthy child labourers, etc.

And "I'm not offended by it so no one else should be" isn't any more persuasive than "I'm offended by it so everyone should be". Attempting to change other people's sensibilities isn't (or shouldn't be) the point. It's simply information for the artists/devs: That part of the game is troubling to some people, so they may want to tone down the graphics, or think up an alternative industry (like steel or opium - for medicinal purposes only, of course! :cool:), or let people "trade in" an unwanted whale deposit for one of the other goods. What would be wrong with that (other than "it's too much trouble")?

In which case they can also opt to simply ignore the fact that some people don't want strung-up animals festooning their towns.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I love the word festooning! Haven't seen it used in ages!

There is a difference between what something represents and how it is depicted. If people are having issues with the artistic design of the Whaling Station then fair enough, I got carried away with the subject rather than how it is displayed in the game. I'm sure they have talented artists who could create a Whaling Building without a dead whale out the front. I certainly don't intend to change sensibilities.

My main gripe with issue I suppose is your observation "- there's nothing particularly distinctive about the other Industrial Age goods buildings. " I agree. I have textiles and fertilizer boosted and frankly both of those buildings are fairly uninspiring to look at. While I understand that later age buildings will be factorylike it does mean they all look pretty similar. Coke and Rubber are slightly better - Whaling imo is the most unusual. I guess I'm slightly bored of the dull orange/brown colour that is my city :P A bit of blue would be nice ;)

So perhaps the artists should be more considerate of depicting dead animals in buildings - they've done it before with the Hunter supply building - and at the same time make things a little bit prettier.

DeletedUser1081

... So perhaps the artists should be more considerate about not depicting dead animals in buildings - they've done it before with the Hunter supply building - and at the same time make things a little bit prettier.

That would be nice. I've got most of the Industrial Age goods and supply buildings camouflaged by trees or staying in the background of the much-prettier structures from earlier eras. But the whale-oil plant is the only one I've hidden completely.

DeletedUser4906

A heads up, posts 90-95 were all off-topic... if you wish to discuss the Industrial Revolution, or who came up with what first, go to Soap Box and start a thread. Please try and keep posts on topic!

And post #81?

Yuchhh

I just discovered the map section that gives me my booster for IndA . . . yep, its whaling. But hold on a minute, no one in my guild/neighbors/friends has an IndA goods building. They seem to rely on the GBs and other specialty buildings that give off goods of their age . . So who actually needs or has a whaling station and why would you have one if you don't like it?

(But after all this whining in this thread I AM gonna build one, just to see how bad it can really be.)

It makes a great seagull whining when you start production though!:cool:

DeletedUser3157

Why on earth is this thread still going after all this time and so many posts when everything that could possebly be said and explained was already done so in first 2 replies?

DeletedUser

@hint
Because we are having a whale of a time here.

Translation: to have an exciting or fun time; to have a big time. (Whale is a way of saying big.) Examples: We had a whale of a time at Sally's birthday party. Enjoy your vacation! I hope you have a whale of a time.

DeletedUser6065

@ Altruist - You keep tellin' jokes like that son, and somebody is gonna whale on you. (slang - to maul with enthusiasm). Example: When Guild Wars start, we Purists are gonna whale on those Diamonders. Let's see how long we can whale on this dead horse of a topic. Somebody should whale on the mods for letting this thread go WAY too long . . . . mk

DeletedUser

I don't like being whaled on :(

But seriously, I don't mind a thread becoming very long - as long as it stays on topic ;) People like to have their say, and even if the "answer" is given in the first few posts, it doesn't mean that others, who read the thread later, can't contribute to it as well.

Happy discussing! ^^