• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

City plundering

DeletedUser118275

I don’t know how these threads work but the city defense is terrible, Iv got great defense but it’s useless against players that use nothing but rogues and even though if you could manually defend you would take out the one legit soldier the ai activates all the rogues first instead. Who do you talk to about perhaps fixing this ridiculous form of defense?

People have complained about this since the beginning of time (or since FoE started at least) there are dozens of threads complaining about it and the ways around it.

Basically, you will never be able to stop all attacks even if you build and level all the defense GBs as high as possible.

Try to build a city that has very little to plunder and collect your stuff on time, that way when people get through there is very little if anything to take.

Accept plundering as part of the game, you can never lose much anyway, forget about it and move on

Agent327

Overlord
I don’t know how these threads work but the city defense is terrible, Iv got great defense but it’s useless against players that use nothing but rogues and even though if you could manually defend you would take out the one legit soldier the ai activates all the rogues first instead.

So you don't have great defence.

Who do you talk to about perhaps fixing this ridiculous form of defense?

Talk to the hand.

DeletedUser110131

I don’t know how these threads work but the city defense is terrible, Iv got great defense but it’s useless against players that use nothing but rogues and even though if you could manually defend you would take out the one legit soldier the ai activates all the rogues first instead. Who do you talk to about perhaps fixing this ridiculous form of defense?
Many have complained, nothing has been changed. Personally, I'd love facing tougher defenses, if it was compensated with better loot. My own defenses are sufficient without any changes, though.

Defense in FoE consists of many things. You choose your own combination of methods. There's no universal advice, but here are some suggestions:
  • Collect on time.
  • Notice when he/she attacks and when he/she loots. Move your completion times so you can collect before those times.
  • Have a residential or small production building on a short cycle, and leave uncollected.
  • Forego buildings that can be plundered.
  • Use city shield.
  • Build defensive GBs.
  • Put up watchtowers, ritual flames and other def buildings.
  • Work the questlines, and get reward troops from the future, use them in defense.
  • Strike back, as a deterrent, and to win back losses.
  • Increase your production to compensate for losses.
  • Aid your attacker. If he/she aids from history, he/se may (deliberately or accidentally) aid in return, which prevents attack for 24 hours.
  • Don't be at the bottom half of the neighborhood; people will assume you're inactive or a bad player.
  • Be in a good guild, where you'll get advice and encouragement.
On the defensive army specifically:
  • Never use more than two rogues.
  • Your defensive troops will probably have better def boost than att boost. That means you choose high def troops for your standard defense.
  • Your attacker probably has a favorite attack set-up. Adapt your set-up once in a while, to give a surprise.
  • If the time of attack is predictable, use a defense boost that covers the timeframe.
  • An all artillery defense will probably not win, but will usually inflict some losses. Some attackers are averse to losses. With max luck, you may take out a future unit, forcing him/her to spend diamonds.
  • Having two artillery or ranged can be useful for converting rogues without taking damage.
Remember:
  • The neighborhood lasts only 14 days, which is nothing in this game.
  • If there's only one or two who plunder you, the losses should be minimal, if any. There's no reason to panic.
  • If there's more than one or two, you're doing something very wrong. Learn from it!
  • Take it as a challenge. It'll enrich the game experience, if you allow it to.
I have an active defense, myself, and every plunderable building my heart desires. A strong defensive army thwarts 99% of attackers. These days, I grin, even if I find a successful attack in Event History. I enjoy seeing how my defenses are beaten, and I love a good neighborhood feud. It (almost) never happens, though; when they fight, they always loose, and they almost always retreat, anyway. Damn the cowards! Anyway, the point is this: defense is very much possible.

DeletedUser118860

Many have complained, nothing has been changed. Personally, I'd love facing tougher defenses, if it was compensated with better loot. My own defenses are sufficient without any changes, though.

Defense in FoE consists of many things. You choose your own combination of methods. There's no universal advice, but here are some suggestions:
  • Collect on time.
  • Notice when he/she attacks and when he/she loots. Move your completion times so you can collect before those times.
  • Have a residential or small production building on a short cycle, and leave uncollected.
  • Forego buildings that can be plundered.
  • Use city shield.
  • Build defensive GBs.
  • Put up watchtowers, ritual flames and other def buildings.
  • Work the questlines, and get reward troops from the future, use them in defense.
  • Strike back, as a deterrent, and to win back losses.
  • Increase your production to compensate for losses.
  • Aid your attacker. If he/she aids from history, he/se may (deliberately or accidentally) aid in return, which prevents attack for 24 hours.
  • Don't be at the bottom half of the neighborhood; people will assume you're inactive or a bad player.
  • Be in a good guild, where you'll get advice and encouragement.
On the defensive army specifically:
  • Never use more than two rogues.
  • Your defensive troops will probably have better def boost than att boost. That means you choose high def troops for your standard defense.
  • Your attacker probably has a favorite attack set-up. Adapt your set-up once in a while, to give a surprise.
  • If the time of attack is predictable, use a defense boost that covers the timeframe.
  • An all artillery defense will probably not win, but will usually inflict some losses. Some attackers are averse to losses. With max luck, you may take out a future unit, forcing him/her to spend diamonds.
  • Having two artillery or ranged can be useful for converting rogues without taking damage.
Remember:
  • The neighborhood lasts only 14 days, which is nothing in this game.
  • If there's only one or two who plunder you, the losses should be minimal, if any. There's no reason to panic.
  • If there's more than one or two, you're doing something very wrong. Learn from it!
  • Take it as a challenge. It'll enrich the game experience, if you allow it to.
I have an active defense, myself, and every plunderable building my heart desires. A strong defensive army thwarts 99% of attackers. These days, I grin, even if I find a successful attack in Event History. I enjoy seeing how my defenses are beaten, and I love a good neighborhood feud. It (almost) never happens, though; when they fight, they always loose, and they almost always retreat, anyway. Damn the cowards! Anyway, the point is this: defense is very much possible.
I have to say that's a very well-written reply and you've given good advice which everyone will be wise to take note of. I get plundered by the same person in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping. So far he gets nothing that I know of as all my collections were done beforehand. The city shield is expensive for what it does and it doesn't last long enough. I had wondered if troops do get killed as my plunderer only uses rogues and in the video battle none ever die. I take note of the defences you suggest and realise I only have defensive troops and didn't think to have attacking ones as well. (Silly me!) So I'm going to change a few things and we'll see, except the neighberhood will have changed and he'll be gone. (I won't mourne his moving on).

Sure you can fix it. Bring down the cost of the city shield which is rediculously expensive. After all the ones who need it most are the little guys and obviously they cant afford that rediculus price. Bring it down to something more realistic like $1000 silver coins.

Emberguard

Legend
Sure you can fix it. Bring down the cost of the city shield which is rediculously expensive. After all the ones who need it most are the little guys and obviously they cant afford that rediculus price. Bring it down to something more realistic like $1000 silver coins.
What the little guy usually needs is either
(a) a active friends list (lowering cost of shield won’t make it more affordable if they’re not utilising the friend list)
(b) a better city layout. Almost every city I’ve ever helped redesign wasn’t using 1/3-1/2 of their city space because of bad layout.

Everything in the city except goods buildings, sets and non-supply special production buildings can be motivated or is plunderproof. If you set up your city to run without events and then replace the goods buildings with events, gradually replacing more of your city as you get more then you’ll never be plundered as long as you can get things aided. If you decide to put the 2x3 production buildings that can be plundered you’ll be able to put a lot in the city but on the trade off that they may be plundered

What the little guy usually needs is either
(a) a active friends list (lowering cost of shield won’t make it more affordable if they’re not utilising the friend list)
(b) a better city layout. Almost every city I’ve ever helped redesign wasn’t using 1/3-1/2 of their city space because of bad layout.

Everything in the city except goods buildings, sets and non-supply special production buildings can be motivated or is plunderproof. If you set up your city to run without events and then replace the goods buildings with events, gradually replacing more of your city as you get more then you’ll never be plundered as long as you can get things aided. If you decide to put the 2x3 production buildings that can be plundered you’ll be able to put a lot in the city but on the trade off that they may be plundered
Friends cant come to your rescue when you get attacked daily by some loser way way more powerful than you and often even in another age. Sure you can be there on time to pick up which saves you on plundering but it is still annoying to be attacked every single day until the neighbourhood changes. There is always that silent voice saying i can kick your butt every day of the week. change your defense...oh try again and again... no this is called bulllying. I dont care what people say that this is a game but the strong praying on the weak is just not an even fight. So if this is the way it is then at least provide a way for players to defend themselves.

Emberguard

Legend
You were saying the shield is expensive. If you have a full (active) friendslist then they can provide enough to keep it going either indefinitely or at least half the week every week without losing silver. Just depends on how much you cultivate your friends list. Obviously much easier to aim for a 3-day shield once a week as that’d only require two tavern collections a day plus visiting your friends taverns

Plunderers getting through is only a problem if there’s a plunderable item in your city. So yes they can attack daily, but it doesnt take much to prevent them from ever being able to touch anything. Just start with techtree, gradually replace goods buildings with events and put down some GBs.

It may take some decision making and effort to result in a plunderproof city, but it is a choice for whether you focus on that as your goal or put in buildings without protection at the risk of being plundered. By the time you reach the tech for being plunderable you should already have laid a foundation for your city and with the frequency of events probably have your first event building. If you work out a bit late your city is behind where it needs to be in development or on a certain aspect it's not the end of the world. Slow down on the tech tree and focus on building up the parts of your city that are letting you down. Then continue the tech once your city is properly prepared for it.

Wee wee wee … Collect on time or risk getting plundered. Simple as that. Blame yourself if you are plundered.

Last edited:
I believe I did say plundering wasnt the problem. Its easier to say that then to solve the real issue that im talking about which is bullying or whatever you want to call it. daily attacking. You dont have to get plundered to hate being attacked. its that helpless feeling. There is no way you can afford that kind of spending daily to keep a city shield going. People in lower ages dont even have the supporting friend structure to afford it because they still dont have their tavern set up, they are still saving to upgrade their tavern. ITs to expensive period. If I was the only one complaining about this than maybe i would think there was something I was doing wrong but im not.
Motivated buildings can't be plundered.

That is total BS. It can happen as an exception, not often.
ofcourse it happens, eigther they age up as soon as the neighbourhood changes or it is mismached. if it didnt happen to me then I wouldnt be saying this. I had a person attack me daily from a LMA and I was in HMA so I had no defense againt cannons with my trebuckets. and no I dont have to age up just because somebody else did. If I wasnt ready to do so.

city shield would have solved this problem. but currently to expensive.

You don't need a strong city defense or to put up a city shield 24/7. You just have to collect from your buildings on time, so they can't get plundered.

You don't need a strong city defense or to put up a city shield 24/7. You just have to collect from your buildings on time, so they can't get plundered.

I said plundering isnt the problem, mostly i dont get plundered because i pick up on time. I am talking about the attacking itself. When its once in awhile its fine or even by different people if they attack and dont plunder but when its the same person daily and nothing you can do makes any difference because they are more powerful then you are. That is bullying. The helpless feeling day after day.. especially when you are in iron age or EMA when your tavern isnt even developed yet. even I would have difficulty in affording a $9000 city shield. like come on, really? you can tell this was done to shut some people up and never really meant to be used. like I said this should be like $1000 and even at that price its to expensive for somebody in Iron age if it goes on for a week or so...