• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

City design

• Thread starter DeletedUser9614
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Agree regarding the oases. I just don't know what to build instead. (If I were to keep this layout,) strike teams would fit, but I don't want to dilute my alcatraz output with stuff I don't need more of.

anyway, i'll see if i can rearrange things better. the 3x3 stuff in the lower right corner is a pain to place optimally though

DeletedUser9614

Strike team is the worst unit of CE. Please do not get tricked by the bonus and build them. If you do not have enough rogues, simply leave Traz running and build up rogues.

What you want is at least 200-300 M of coins and supplies for the new age goods + 500M coins for FPs that you use for research (assuming 200k/FP cost) or FP-packs equivalent of that. This is an ideal situation, and you can about 4 months left or less. You use loop quests to milk your coins and supplies into new era goods -- this is how you can finish entire research in 1 day. Also, you are set for first few weeks when everybody who did not prepare beg for new era goods. Building supplies or coins is always a good idea. Building goods and selling them is another way to make significant profit. Building military always must have specific purpose or it is a waste because simply you can just stock up on rogues.

DeletedUser

Strike teams are bad for GvG; they are not bad for the TE map (which I have finished now).

Also I do not care about finishing research in a day; I'd much rather have something to work toward gradually. I've sat at the end of tech for 4-5 months during previous eras (PME) and found it immensely boring.

Instead I am much more interested in becoming a Forge of Empires billionaire. :P

DeletedUser9614

Well, you need to decide whether u want to work on something gradually or be billionaire those two might not go together well.

DeletedUser100832

The most important advice there is would be to have a square city

those of us who didn't follow it are now really ripping their hair out

here you can see two of the edges of my city are not straight. Fitting buildings along these edges efficiently is not a fun task.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55212470@N08/23934270483/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Planned a remodel of the city following some of the tips pawelp gave

http://www.forgestats.net/en/map/98db33c237d6726d4f82e7d5a845ae21

batblhP.png

Changes made:
+1 arcology, -5 self-supporting homes (+16 tiles used)
+1 nano lab, -1 superconductor factory, +1 preservatives factory, -1 papercrete factory, -1 bionics lab (-19 tiles)
-2 oases (-24 tiles)
-1 hover tank factory, -1 exo barracks (-50 tiles)
+5 food printers (+80 tiles)
+2 algae airships, +1 zen garden (+26 tiles)

Total: +29 tiles used compared to the previous design

Even though I know logically deal castle/st basil are not economically worth it, I get some satisfaction seeing people wipe their armies on me because I picked a good defense :P

DeletedUser9614

Sounds about right, and yes this is now step up from previous layout -- this is a great layout now based on layout principles. You still can move it up and cut probably 20 another tiles, but the amount of time it takes to do that increase exponentially. Sometimes, it is worth to say "It is good enough now."

It also seems like you have million goals in this game. You want to grow gradually, wipe out other armies on defense, and be billionaire. Your layout is technically very good, but practically, it is non-specific. I do not see a specific function that is carries. If you want to achieve especially score, your layout must be specific for that purpose. You might have to ignore secondary goals.

DeletedUser

You want to grow gradually, wipe out other armies on defense, and be billionaire.

Sounds about right. The fighting thing is more of an occasional thing, when I feel like it. This week, I have fought my neighbors 2 or 3 times. Other weeks I fight 0, other weeks I fight all. Just depends on my RL schedule and what I feel like doing.

If you want to achieve especially score, your layout must be specific for that purpose. You might have to ignore secondary goals.

Apart from fighting, I'm not sure how to increase my score, after Feb 18. It remains to be seen how much the goods from GBs are going to be worth. If they will be worth a lot, I will continue my current objective, which is to get Arc as high level as possible. If they aren't worth a lot, I will likely switch priorities and get my Chateau to level 10 (it's at 8 currently).