• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Disgusted by whale oil plant :(

DeletedUser

At first, I also took a little offense to the hanging whale carcasses but then realized how historically accurate it was to have that portrayed the way it is. It was a brutal industry that is still being kept at bay today. So, I think having it in the game acts as a great reminder of how humans advanced at a great cost of another species and it offers us a way to be reminded of it and hopefully, not to repeat it.
Human History is not a fluffy, feel-good thing, folks. I am glad the game can be used to initiate a discussion on whaling. Humanity has an enormous debt to pay - and to more than just the whales.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1184

If you take this logic forward you could argue that a gallows to provide happiness (in the same way potted flowers do) is equally bad taste - it all depends on one's perspective. Admittedly having a condemned prisoner hanging from a noose would possibly be over graphic, so maybe the dead whales actually in view is not 100% necessary.

Not expressing my opinion, merely adding to the debate.

DeletedUser653

Not expressing my opinion, merely adding to the debate.

I hate to disagree, but you are expressing an opinion by writing about the situation and then stating:

.... so maybe the dead whales actually in view is not 100% necessary.

If your going to portray a whale oil yard then there is no point in removing the whales, I also think by including the whales the subject of whale hunting becomes a big topic and as any anti whale hunting activist wants it becomes an open subject for debate so by including a whale oil yard it actually helps the anti whale hunting group - who really should be grateful for the platform on this game.
I have no issue with the Whale Oil factories in this game and used to have 2 myself (now down to just 1).

Personally - I disagree with hunting any endangered animal/fish etc, but as a meat eating carnivore I accept that I am top of the tree and actually breed animals to kill and eat, so killing whales (as a species) must be OK while we do not threaten any part of that species and lets all be honest, whether you agree or disagree with hunting whales we did get to the situation where certain species of whales were becoming threatened. We also have a situation where indigenous species should be allowed to hunt whales (as they have done for many thousand of years) for consumption, but not for mass slaughter and bulk selling to factory ships.

DeletedUser

Admittedly having a condemned prisoner hanging from a noose would possibly be over graphic, so maybe the dead whales actually in view is not 100% necessary.
The gallows structure is easily recognizable and distinguishable without it, you can't say the same about the whale oil plant, without the whales. If whales were sliced open, bleeding or looked any different than an old whale who was washed to shore, then you could claim its over graphic and suggest some fix. However, as it is, they are presented in the same way meat is presented in the butchered shop or everything else in the game i.e. in good taste. (something that I can't say about the OP)

DeletedUser

i never understood why every body cry loud when 1 whale or seal baby is killed - and when thousands children die from hunger on this planet DAILY no body cares. and when complain about whale factory in game, why you not complain about military building in game? on battlefield you active kill other (bits and bytes) humans!

DeletedUser

. . . Admittedly having a condemned . . . QUOTE]

I zoomed in real close on my gallows and it sure looks like a condemned man swaying on a noose. Even the rope is moving in time with the figure.

DeletedUser653

so will we now get the calls "ban the gallows" ?

Personally I still like the idea that the whaler is banging his head on the whale in disgust at what his is doing

DeletedUser5904

Meh, throughout history whales have been hunted for both food and their fat. From Europe to Asia to North America (both immigrant and native peoples) the whale has been part of the dietary and industrial culture dating back hundreds and hundreds of years. I am not bothered by the depiction, although as soon as I saw the building I knew there would be a few PETA types out there who would cry foul.

DeletedUser1009

Get rid of the Whales. It is offensive, period. Despite the historical reference a more sanitized depiction could be used.

DeletedUser

well, personally, i'm opposed to the death penalty, but i'm not stamping my foot about gallows and guillotines, i'm just not polishing them, thank you. they are there as a horrible reminder that history isn't pleasant, it is barbaric and cruel most of the time and if you don't like the idea of whales being slaughtered for machine and lamp oil, then you can always leave here and go play on disney.com - i'm sure they will restore your confidence in humanity with a cute foxy fellow called Robin Hood* battling to save the oppressed.

tracey
bloody history lessons

* he was probably a murderous, thieving thug who stole from rich and poor alike, but he had a great publicity department too.

DeletedUser

Whaling is part of history and with out it there would not of been some important advancements in human history, I know this because I live down the road from Whitby which was home of a major whaling industry in England at the time and there is still evident to the industry to this day. like the whale bone arch in Whitby. picture below
whalebone_arch.jpg
whaling provide a ton of money for economies when it was legal. when it was legal people then thought the industry was the same as beef farms are as today.

DeletedUser

Get rid of the Whales. It is offensive, period. Despite the historical reference a more sanitized depiction could be used.

I think what you meant to say there is that it's offensive to you. Clearly, not eveyrone is offended, so your statement as written is incorrect. :)

DeletedUser

90% of population eat meat and I am very sure they cry every day because if this :P
an egg mean a small chicken inside :P then the easter event should be closed, isn't ?

DeletedUser1184

[The following is not directly related the the main subject of this thread - for what it's worth the irony is not lost on me.]

I hate it when people critique the posts of others (as mine was) rather than just continue the thread of the debate.
In my first post I said I was not expressing MY opinion but merely adding to the debate - of course that is expressing AN opinion (but not necessarily the one I hold) - I was simply trying to add another angle.
In MY opinion, people who say things like: "I hate to disagree with you..." or "I hate to tell you but..." are usually lying. They love to attempt to correct others, in MY opinion it is because it makes them feel good about themselves, giving their lives just that little more purpose!

DeletedUser

[The following is not directly related the the main subject of this thread - for what it's worth the irony is not lost on me.]

I hate it when people critique the posts of others (as mine was) rather than just continue the thread of the debate.
In my first post I said I was not expressing MY opinion but merely adding to the debate - of course that is expressing AN opinion (but not necessarily the one I hold) - I was simply trying to add another angle.
In MY opinion, people who say things like: "I hate to disagree with you..." or "I hate to tell you but..." are usually lying. They love to attempt to correct others, in MY opinion it is because it makes them feel good about themselves, giving their lives just that little more purpose!

And yet, you are debating (rebutting) an off topic post rather than the topic of the thread. Pot or kettle?

Edit: Looking at post below: And yet again he does it. Playing both pot AND kettle, LOL.

DeletedUser1184

I said the irony was not lost on me and qualified that at the start. Thanks for stating the obvious, what would we do without you genius in this world?

Make some comment, that to you sounds very witty I'm sure, if you must, but this is my last word on this through-out this thread.
Say or do what you like, you're really of no significance to me.

DeletedUser276

If we are going to reduce this thread to immature insults and petty comments then I may just close this thread.