• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content Guild Battlegrounds

• Thread starter Deleted member 109369
  • Start date
It has been suggested to lower the early attrition levels, while leaving the mid and upper levels at their current difficulty. This would let players with newer cities do more. And for better or worse, if you want to play FoE, you need to get a 'traz - unless you a master farmer.

The number of advances considered reasonable will change massively depending on how developed a city is, and what level of guild it is in. On D, in a top 10 guild, 250 advances was the average across the whole competition (22 per day). On my diamond mines, participation ranges from 0 to nearing 15/day. The examples you give, do those non-participating players do GE?

I know a few players who have considered stopping playing because of the new features - while people don't have to use the new features, they are missing out on rewards if they don't, and for some, they like the amount of time they spent before and and don't want to spend more now.

Lower early attrition levels: I agree, at least for attacks. TBH, playing on the copper and silver league, I didn't see a problem with attrition and negotiations. Battles, yes, it would let newer players do more. Negotiations, well, didn't count them, but the first 5 or 6 I think were just 1 of each good, and if a player can't do that, they're doing something wrong.

I've never really tracked GE, meaning I didn't record the numbers for each participant, or monitor any players from one GE to the next. Suppose I should. But off the top of my head, non-participation in GE within these guilds is about the same. Full participation would be ideal of course, and raise the guild even more each week, and is desirable to say the least, we do reasonably well with usually a top 3 finish in any of the 3 guilds.

Trying to force players to play, in my total online gaming experience, has never really worked out well. Guild leaders and executives don't really have power: they can say you can stay in the guild or you can get out of the guild. And I don't want to play that way, nor would I ever be in a guild that played that way. If the request is reasonable, such as doing the first level of every GE, maybe. But a few go a lot further than that. Its a game. I have no desire to be either a slave master or a slave.

On the other hand, it is a guild game. Not a single person game. If you choose to play outside of a guild, well, guess nobody can say anything about that. You are not impacting on anyone else's play. But if in a guild, you should expect to have to make some contribution to that guild. Some. Well, that's a lot of work to determine if a player is not making any contributions at all. Would have to track guild donations, guild trades and forge point contributions to say the least. Not just doing an advance or two in some competition. So, did all of those 44 not make any sort of contribution to the Guild Battleground? I can't say they didn't. They may have taken trades one of the 17 needed. They may have made a forge point contribution that allowed some player gain a Zeus level that allowed that player to be more successful on the battlefield. All I can say is that 44 didn't make an advance on the battleground. Again, its a game. If next month's rent depended on the participation of a guild member, then I would gather that information and make a fully informed decision. Otherwise, its not really something I want to go that far on.

Then there could be other issues. I play evony, and one of the alliances on my first server there consisted entirely of 10 year olds. The oldest member was 16 I think. The host, a friend of mine, actually helped them with their homework so they could play an hour a day. And looked after their accounts for the other 23 hours. Or an adult, putting in 10 hour work days, and relaxing in FoE for an hour before cooking supper. Who knows?

The only option I can see yet, is to make sure they have access to the knowledge they need to play the game and to make guild play rewarding enough so that they want to contribute to the guild. Its far easier to say then to put into practice it seems for some reason. LMAO Its only the first season, perhaps with a few more, things will change. As far as I can tell, and for me personally,the rewards of doing the battleground makes it worthwhile to continue to do battlegrounds, both for me, the player, and for the guild(s) I am. A few more battlegrounds, some may get that message.

Yep, know I need a traz. And a Cathedral. And to upgrade my Yddrisil and anything else that will increase my attack bonuses and improve my goods production. Overall, I'm satisfied with what I was able to do and accomplish. As was the 61 member guild, being as how the big boss made me an executive in the guild. So no real issue other than the teeny weeny one of not being able to do enough attacks. I'm sure that some will pop up down the road after a few more battlegrounds. But we need to do a few before we can really say if something is an issue or not.

I should add, in my guild, the members I have were doing little or nothing in the GE. That changed last week, to even where one completed the entire first level. I can expect this to occur with the Battlegrounds as well.

Vesiger

Monarch
Do your 60 to 70 battles, then switch to negotiations, and call it a day! Obviously, we are talking about a never ending supply of troops here, which the rest of us DON'T have. We will one day. That's fine, I'm happy that you have progressed that far, I don't hold it against any of you. You've earned it. Nevertheless, efforts should and have to have a cost. Inno doesn't want you to play for free, they want you to buy diamonds. So pay the costs and be happy that you can, and that you were able to make such a contribution to your guild. Because it is about the guild, not the player. To the negotiators. You want to make it cost less to negotiate so you can do more negotiations. You would make it so it costs less for a player such as myself to negotiate, thus I would be able to do more negotiations. Net change: 0! Change the attrition so you can do more? Then you change the attrition so I can do more. Net change: 0! 5/6 goods negotiations? Well, I did 5 goods negotiations daily, usually all the way through 5 to the level 6.
That's a good point - softening attrition isn't actually going to help lower-level players much, because they're inherently limited by lack of resources (troops/goods). It's of more benefit to the players who can already breeze through those first ten encounters...

DeletedUser653

My understanding is that Guild Battlegrounds if Guild versus Guild and that all Forge of Empires players can participate. Is this not correct?

Because I read these comments and see 60 to 70 battles, during a single reset period I assume. I see another where 15 - 20 battles was considered reasonable. Well, I don't have a never ending supply of rogues. I don't have a reasonable supply of goods. I have a level 10 Statue of Zeus. I have a Cathedral of Aachen on one world about level 6. I have no supply of any unattached troops, other than GE might be considered a regular supply. I have a Tower of Babel on each world and a Lighthouse on one. I do have a complete set of blueprints for other GBs, but space is an issue for them. I "visit" my neighbors each day to aid them. I visit my guild mates regularly. And those on my friend's list. And what do I see? I see that I have way more than most of them have. As I go up the ranks, and the neighborhood changes, I would expect to see more capable cities, that's not the point though.

The point is, each of these are FoE players as well, and they need to be able to contribute to a guild. They need to be able to play FoE, else they quit and play something else. And that is Inno's bottom line being affected. If they don't have the troops, they can't do even one battle in the battleground. If they don't have the goods, they can't successfully perform even one negotiation. Never mind doing 15 to 20 battles, or 60 to 70 battles. Or doing 50 negotiations in a reset period. They are excluded. A lot of the fault is on the player themselves. They need to be patient at first, learn the game, and put into practice what they learn. But it is also on the other players to provide them with the knowledge they need, the resources they need, and to make sure they can play and contribute to a guild, and to get the reward of "satisfaction" from being able to accomplish something.

But they are not to be shoved into a guild battleground and expected to do something on their own. The battleground is guild versus guild. It is not the player who does 60 to 70 battles in a reset period. It is not the player that does 25 negotiations. Those numbers don't matter. They are part of a whole, and the whole is what the "guild" does, not what an individual does.

Guild versus Guild! 25 members of which 13 made some contribution. 61 members of which 17 made some contribution, 3 of which only did one encounter. 112 negotiations & 16 attacks; 86 negotiations & 39 attacks......340 negotiations and 257 attacks for the season for 17 people. 601 negotiations and 448 attacks in total for 13 people. Right off the bat, I see a huge problem. Finally, 110 negotiations and 24 attacks for ONE player (actually for one player out of 6 guilds). And the problem is now magnitudes greater. One player out of 6 guilds! These are numbers that matter!

Guild versus Guild! 340 negotiations and 257 attacks for a total 617 encounters. 3 guilds did nothing. This guild finished last, or in 5th place, with 0 sectors conquered. Collected 17,744 Victory Points. Did we deserve last place? No, we were definitely over-matched by a single guild. Am I complaining? No, we have been told repeatedly the first few seasons will establish where a guild truly belongs. Am I unhappy with the guild results? Quite contrary, I'm very happy! Do I think we will do better next season? Maybe. We should be better matched, but goods available for negotiations took a huge hit, and improving combat readiness is a slow process at best.

Guild versus Guild! 601 negotiations and 448 attacks for a total of 1,049 encounters. All 8 guilds did something, we finished second. 169,815 victory points. We were much better matched here, won a hard 2nd place victory. Unfortunately, I don't believe this guild will perform nearly as well next season. It went to the Silver League and our goods were pretty wiped out.

Guild versus Guild! 110 negotiations and 24 attacks for a total of 134 encounters. Only guild, 54,600 victory points. Performance, not applicable. Expectations for next season, going to get my * handed to me on a silver platter, especially as I earned a Silver League placement, which I really shouldn't have.

Guild versus Guild! To the player wanting to do more than 200 battles. Give me a break! I'm not allowed to say my reaction to that. Change anything to allow you to do more just means your adversaries can do more. This isn't about you, its about your guild. To the player of 60-70 battles per reset. My visceral reaction is not as strong, but still! Do your 60 to 70 battles, then switch to negotiations, and call it a day! Obviously, we are talking about a never ending supply of troops here, which the rest of us DON'T have. We will one day. That's fine, I'm happy that you have progressed that far, I don't hold it against any of you. You've earned it. Nevertheless, efforts should and have to have a cost. Inno doesn't want you to play for free, they want you to buy diamonds. So pay the costs and be happy that you can, and that you were able to make such a contribution to your guild. Because it is about the guild, not the player. To the negotiators. You want to make it cost less to negotiate so you can do more negotiations. You would make it so it costs less for a player such as myself to negotiate, thus I would be able to do more negotiations. Net change: 0! Change the attrition so you can do more? Then you change the attrition so I can do more. Net change: 0! 5/6 goods negotiations? Well, I did 5 goods negotiations daily, usually all the way through 5 to the level 6. I didn't even think this was worth commenting on here. Yes, I did it for personal gain. But I mostly did it because my guild needed me to do it. Because by doing so, it offered my guild a strategic or tactical advantage in gaining a province and getting a defensive building started sooner. Even though paying the costs hurt my own gameplay, I payed the costs without second thought, because in my opinion, my guild needed me to do that. That is what the Guild Battlegrounds is about, Guild versus Guild. Do I need to say that again?

First Problem: Guilds that did nothing appeared to have gotten rewarded anyways. Dealt with, quickly and without doubt. They don't get rewarded unless they complete 40 encounters. End of story! Hopefully, the next update states this in-game, so that each and every player and guild knows exactly where they stand, and how much they have to do in order to get rewarded. And perhaps a guild should be penalized for non-participation. Might get rid of some of these one person guilds, which aren't really a guild at all, but a single player trying to reap the guild rewards without the work of actually running and leading a guild.

Second Problem: Obviously some guilds were clearly outmatched or under matched. That was dealt with before the first season even began. It will take a few seasons for every guild to find its ranking. There's really no point in belaboring the point, not for at least another 5 seasons. If there's a problem then, then we need to bring it up in this forum.

Third Problem: Not really stated but alluded to previously in this thread - Attrition. Overall, I don't see a problem. If someone is able to do 200 battles in a reset period, well, there is either no problem there at all, or perhaps attrition should be increased at this end to help level out the playing field. I don't have the data, nor does any other player, to have an opinion on that aspect. What I do know is that I wasn't able to do more than 2 battles, sometimes I got to 4, in a single reset period. So I think there does need to be some adjustment there.

Fourth Problem: A fourth hasn't really been mentioned. So I'll mention it now. Player Participation. The numbers I have are presented earlier. Obviously, most players did not participate, not even half, perhaps not even 25%. My data set is limited though, so the FoE team would perhaps know. This problem originates with Inno, and with Forge of Empires, but with the guilds and players mostly. Everyone is responsible to address this issue. I'd like to say the Third Problem was at fault, but I can't. Very few players in my data set completed one encounter. Did they try and fail and then just give up? Possibly. Perhaps even most, I have no way of knowing. The developers need to look at that data. But then, how is it possible to fail at a negotiation with 0 attrition? Nor are the costs high enough to prevent any player from doing a negotiation, or, if it was, then the player is at fault for not providing themselves with the proper goods buildings and trading within the guild to get the rest of the goods needed. Or they just don't know or understand, and yes, this is definitely part of the problem, not just in battlegrounds but throughout game play. And this is a problem that both developers and guilds need to work on, and the players need to be given access to this information in a better manner.

This last problem is the problem I'm trying to work on. The third is an issue I think, but the developers make the rules and I have to play by those rules or choose not to play. To those with attacking issues or negotiation issues, well, the solution is simple. Stop pretending it is a player problem. It is a guild problem. If you need more attacks or more negotiations, you need to get more members involved or even out the contributions each member makes in the battlefield. If the cost of negotiation is high for a single player to achieve some goal, it is not high for another member of the guild. Everyone starts with 0 attrition each day. It is my responsibility, as an executive within the guild where only 17 out of 61 members contributed, to make it so the other 44 members can contribute, or if they won't even if capable, to get rid of them. It is the responsibility of those 44 players to make a contribution to the guild they are in if they wish to continue to receive the guild's support and rewards.

The only contributor to a battlefield on one world. Ranked fourth on a second world. And ranked as the top contributor on my third world. 100,000 point player. Versus 3 million point players. Did I want to do more? Certainly. Is my wanting to do more relevant? Definitely NOT! Seven or eight billion other people want more, and usually for less. Not an unique position to say the least. Certainly not in FoE or any other online game. Totally irrelevant. Do you want me to do more? I sincerely doubt that. Because if I'm already a top contributor, what am I going to be able to do once I can build an Arc and an Alcatraz, or the other great buildings. Or even for that matter, just a Cathedral of Aachen. No, I don't think so. And if they were to change the rules so that you could do more, then the rules are changed for me as well.

Do I want to be able to do more than 2 battles a day? Certainly. It doesn't really matter to me though. But it does seem to be very unequal. And it does have an impact on my guild's performance. Because if they look at the standings and see that I could only do 2 battles successfully and that I have more and larger GBs for battles then they do, they just aren't going to try. For that reason, it does become an issue.

But, before any of that, the real and only issue I can see is the lack of player participation. Not just in my guilds but the lack I see in every city I look at except for the million and higher point players of course. This is my job. And the job of the developers. And the job of every guild in existence. This is what needs to be discussed. Once guild participation levels out a bit, well, quite a bit, then perhaps we will be able to see the real issues, if any for that matter, in the guild battlegrounds. And in the Guild vs Guild (which is hopeless to even look at) or Guild Expeditions which is also sorely lacking, or PvP which is also lacking, critically I think. Once we've identified the real problems, then we can find the real solutions.

ouch, read half of it and gave up when op seems to lose track that only 1 event in GbG has occurred.
getting to only 2 or just 4 fights looks like a new player

That's a good point - softening attrition isn't actually going to help lower-level players much, because they're inherently limited by lack of resources (troops/goods). It's of more benefit to the players who can already breeze through those first ten encounters...
Softening attrition only for attack(s) so low level players can. They don't have the troops to spend, and just so maybe they can do 5. So they can feel like they've contributed. Yes, it'll help the high level players as well. But they're breezing through anyways. The idea is not so an individual can do more, but that more players can do something.

ouch, read half of it and gave up when op seems to lose track that only 1 event in GbG has occurred.
getting to only 2 or just 4 fights looks like a new player
True, I am a new player, relatively speaking. But I'll probably hit 200 battles per world this championship round. Compared to 2 only, possibly 4, in battlegrounds, in a reset. Bottom line is everyone will be able to do more. But the goal is to get more players involved, help balance out the battlefields, and thus make things more interesting. And an interested player involved in the game is more likely to buy diamonds!

EdTheGreat

Private
Oh well in that case. From the announcement FAQ (second post in the announcement link)

Sadly that did not happen, in fact it is quite Clear that Guild numbers are Not the main aspect when pairing, the 1st time we were 13 against a couple with 20ish and 30ish and one with 45, today we are 11 (yes we got two that left, ty GBG) against one at 80 (indeed, very fair here, 11 vs 80...WoW) one 64, couple with 45 and 47, one 38 and one 24...Very sad...

Numbers in a guild? May be one thing. That spreads out the costs and provides more hits. But what are the capabilities? And yeah, got to remember, they say the first few battlegrounds to find the true ranking of a guild.

Emberguard

Legend
Sadly that did not happen, in fact it is quite Clear that Guild numbers are Not the main aspect when pairing, the 1st time we were 13 against a couple with 20ish and 30ish and one with 45, today we are 11 (yes we got two that left, ty GBG) against one at 80 (indeed, very fair here, 11 vs 80...WoW) one 64, couple with 45 and 47, one 38 and one 24...Very sad...
You asked for it to be into the mix. Into the mix it was. Not the main aspect sure but it was factored in. Everything after that is based on the performance of those guilds in GBG

Just because a guild has 80 members doesn't necessarily mean 80 members are going to participate. Over time those with 80 that will participate will likely end up in the higher leagues while those with only a few among the 80 who are active would likely end up lower down

DeletedUser96901

yes it is very unfair for the 80

they are so terrible bad that they should fight against other bad 80 men guilds

and not against a good 11 men guild which where as good as them last season

DeletedUser96901

I would like to see the Tavern +1 Extra Turn on negotiations be extended so it can be used for Settlement and Battlegrounds negotiations as well.
if they add that extra turn they would also add the complexity of GE negotiation

which means you would offer up to 10 things

to you really want that ?

Shad23

Emperor
they should add quests saying solve 8 encounters of GBG in Daily chalange like we have with GE it might get more ppl to participate
and like many asked befor lower attrition for first few fights

Galladhorn

Monarch
Was away from the game for 2 weeks time, did not really have much time to participate, but right now it seems that the Atk/Def level of GbG Sectors rise at a Staggering rate. about +550% for No. 2 and 620% for No.3...

– Perhaps its just me, I was never a particualar good fighter and never claimed to be,
but somwhow these numbers appear pretty high on these early advances. But I guess it is indivudal depeding on the players onw level or?

DeletedUser11207

if they add that extra turn they would also add the complexity of GE negotiation

which means you would offer up to 10 things

to you really want that ?

Even then, it would make the negotiations more frequently successful in the GBG, yes.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
i think all the comments in this thread are made by guild founders & leaders,
and they are not speaking from the perspective of "rank and file".

i think the game is in fact player-centered, not guild-centered, and
a guild merely provides a means for the players to have something (more things) to do

people did not come into the game world looking for real-life-like long-term commitment
they don't want to have an obligation to "contribute" to a guild as if working for a company (corporation) in real life

i think in all the popular games, players always "team up" randomly
except for professional players committed to become the most competitive

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
One way to reduce all these guild-related problems/complaints, i think is to reduce guild size limit.
Guild as an element (among the three neighbors/guilds/friends) is too powerful.
It is too powerful because all members are "mutual" members and thereby eclipses the function of "friends".
Maximal size of a guild should be 30 members... Or 20... Or even 10... Or 8! you know like Warcraft teams or Counter-Strike.
The guild should become small and there should be more guilds -- The number of guilds becomes large. That will make GvG and GbB more interesting.
And it will revitalize the concepts of Friends. Make the Friends Great Again! Make it meaningful again.
What is the point of having "Friends"? Or what is its advantage over Guilds? Well, after the above-proposed modification, the point is you can have more friends (80-140) than guildies (capped at 30), for Aid and stuff!
---
After that, the neighborhood should be split into two, 40 households each. Households in the same hood help each other. They only attack and plunder those of the other half -- the "neighboring hood" (adjacent hood). This is to make up for the number of aids lost due to the above said downsize of the guild.

Last edited:

LA - Free UA

Sergeant
One way to reduce all these guild-related problems/complaints, i think is to reduce guild size limit.
Guild as an element (among the three neighbors/guilds/friends) is too powerful.
It is too powerful because all members are "mutual" members and thereby eclipses the function of "friends".
Maximal size of a guild should be 30 members... Or 20... Or even 10... Or 8! you know like Warcraft teams or Counter-Strike.
The guild should become small and there should be more guilds -- The number of guilds becomes large. That will make GvG and GbB more interesting.
And it will revitalize the concepts of Friends. Make the Friends Great Again! Make it meaningful again.
What is the point of having "Friends"? Or what is its advantage over Guilds? Well, after the above-proposed modification, the point is you can have more friends (80-140) than guildies (capped at 30), for Aid and stuff!

couldn't disagree more