• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Fairer player attacking and plundering

Vesiger

Monarch
I probably come under the heading of Tankovy's 'casual plunderers'; I attack several times per week, either simply because nothing much is happening in the game and I'm bored, or because I'm hoping for points to boost me up above my immediate neighbours in the ranking (things are often very close in our neighbourhood, and I've gradually drifted up from about fourteenth to about seventh).
I'm not organised about it; I don't keep track of which players are easy to beat and simply try not to hit the same people too often. I'd say that I probably lose over fifty per cent of the time, and I don't plunder every time I win, either because it doesn't seem worth it (only a few houses probably giving a maximum of 400 gold each), because there is nothing to plunder at that moment and I don't remember to come back, or because it was a very one-sided battle and I was basically only out for points in the first place.
The last few times I've plundered successfully I only got one goods anyway - clearly the player didn't actually have the relevant deposit!
So I'm a very ineffective plunderer. On the other hand ours has always been a very well-balanced neighbourhood (which is why my chances of beating even a player at the bottom of the neighbourhood are not particularly certain) and most of us have been going up at about the same speed and have seen each other around for months now. I know there are players there now who helped me with working out the game in my very first week.
Every reshuffle brings in a proportion of new faces, but it would be a pity to split the old neighbourhood up altogether...

DeletedUser6560

Very close in your neighbourhood? Don't make me laugh. I'm currently around 9.5 million and the people who are attacking players in my neighbourhood are at 225 million. You could call that close if you like but i can't. How can you call someone over 20 times your size close? The range is far to wide. Surely to make it more even and harder for the attackers it should be less than that.

DeletedUser113970

I don't have a problem with being plundered, except when the same person keeps doing it every day and you can't defend because you're an age below. And the "collect on time" doesn't apply, because I do. But I can't be on it 24/7, (I have to sleep sometimes), so it's impossible to stop it. Players should only be permitted to plunder one person once in any one week period, (or something like that), as it would make it a bit fairer. It's happened to me enough that I'm starting to get bored and peeved In real life I doubt people from the high middle ages went back in time to plunder the stone age, so it is unfair no matter what more skilled/advanced players say.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
I don't have a problem with being plundered, except when the same person keeps doing it every day and you can't defend because you're an age below. And the "collect on time" doesn't apply, because I do. But I can't be on it 24/7, (I have to sleep sometimes), so it's impossible to stop it. Players should only be permitted to plunder one person once in any one week period, (or something like that), as it would make it a bit fairer. It's happened to me enough that I'm starting to get bored and peeved In real life I doubt people from the high middle ages went back in time to plunder the stone age, so it is unfair no matter what more skilled/advanced players say.
If you're EMA and get into a 'hood that's mostly HMA, that's just bad luck...
Outside of the much later eras, if you're in a 'hood that's 2-3 ages ahead of you, contact support because something's potentially gone very wrong with your newest 'hood placement!

Otherwise...
1. set your productions for 24hr's at a time you know you can 100% be on-line to collect on time.

2. Re-watch the video of the attack on your city. Take note of what units were used against you & re-shuffle your defensive army a bit to make it harder.

3. Put up some defensive structures... Watchfires/Ritual Flames, plant that Monastary from the EMA side quest, build St.Basil's, etc...
You don't have to beat the attacker, you just have to make it too costly for them to hit you on a daily basis.

4. Design your city to be 'plunder proof'. Use buildings that can be motivated! Once something is motivated, it can't be plundered - EVER!
Tribal Squares/Oasis, SoK's, various event buildings (Black Tower, Pillar of Heroes, Grand Bridge, Tholos of Idols, etc...), will give goods and/or fp's alongside other possible rewards.
Supplement with GB's as well, especially Chateau which can be used to boost quest rewards! (@Lv6 you'll earn 10 goods/quest reward for example)

5. Send that filthy, evil plunderer who's ruining your life a Friend invite. If they accept, they can no longer attack you.

6. Attack them back and steal their stuff!
If you have to, jot down what units they have in their defending army as a reminder so you can then hard-counter them on the next attack

But no. No changing around with the plunder mechanics. They're barely annoying at best and there's many, many, many ways to secure your city from plundering.

rjs66

Lieutenant
if you don't risk losing your stuff to plundering then it negates any need for defences , so a whole load of buildings become useless and a big part of the strategy of the game is negated

Agent327

Overlord
Players don't attack other players unless they know they can't lose and they can't be attacked back.

Anyone can be attacked back.

How about putting an end to this nonsense and instead of stealing other folk's hard earned stuff, a chest appears on a successful attack containing nice little surprises. If the player attacking is defeated, the defending player gets a nice little chest instead.

Can I pick what I want from that chest?

To prevent exploits, both defending and attacking armies would have to have a full complement of current age troops or no chest.

Yes, that will work. It's not like you can put your defence in your profile. To all my neighbours. I defend with artillery. Use somthing that flies to attack.

rjs66

Lieutenant
given that all players start off from exactly the same point with exactly the same resources, how do some players get stronger than others ?

perhaps it is the strategy they use to build their resources and city etc.. and how they play the game

everybody has the same chance , everybody has the same opportunities, how you use them is up to you

calling part of the game mechanics bullying or unfair because you haven't made the right decisions and trying to get the game changed to support your inability to compete with the other players is not going to help the game, removing all the challenges will kill the game faster than losing a few newbies who have discovered the game isn't as easy as they thought

Agent327

Overlord
Let's stop kidding ourselves here. PIcking on weaker players who you know can't attack you back requires no strategic thinking whatsoever, it only keeps bullies happy, while driving a lot of people away from the game, which isn't good for anyone. Sure, the bullies have egos which they need stroked so they can admire themselves in their mirrors thinking themselves brilliant strategists, but really, all they are doing is ruining the game.

This is the only game I know where, if you follow tips given to you by the designers you are labelled a bully. I wonder what we should call players that do not follow thiose tips. Crybabies?

The game needs an upgrade in war strategy and tactics. I have a few ideas, like proper use of terrain and giving units a defence and attack cut if not using terrain properly.

So far, your ideas haven't done very well, so do you really think you need to try again?

DeletedUser111732

given that all players start off from exactly the same point with exactly the same resources, how do some players get stronger than others ?

perhaps it is the strategy they use to build their resources and city etc.. and how they play the game

everybody has the same chance , everybody has the same opportunities, how you use them is up to you

calling part of the game mechanics bullying or unfair because you haven't made the right decisions and trying to get the game changed to support your inability to compete with the other players is not going to help the game, removing all the challenges will kill the game faster than losing a few newbies who have discovered the game isn't as easy as they thought
This is just simply wrong in a few ways. The reason why some players are stronger than others is mainly due to the fact they've been playing longer. Not everyone has the same chances and opportunities, such as getting Cherry Blossom Set Upgrades, getting and building up their GB's, acquiring units out of age, acquiring city defense etc. because players start the game a different times.

What is the "right" decisions to compete in PvP? Currently it's to stay in IA locked behind the PvP Tech lock and camp for a few years which is the opposite prior to how this entire thread started since it was before the Jan 2017 hood change, prior to GE and prior to the PvP Tech lock, all of which has now incentivized players to camp and has created as much of a problem then the prior structure because it doesn't take into account anything but tech so you still end up with players in a hood far outweighing the others.

I think Inno is going to have to change something eventually because I'm sure they didn't mean to create a game where people stay in Iron Age forever.

rjs66

Lieutenant
you say there some players that camp various in eras, that is so, but certainly not enough so that it affects every player in every neighbourhood regardless of their level of advancement
for the majority of players the difference is not all that great, so you get attacked and plundered, surely you can do the same , and increase your defence boost etc..., the neighbourhoods change every couple of weeks , so it isn't as if it all stays static

when i first started playing i was attacked and plundered regularly, i didn't whine about it or try to change the game, i looked at what i needed to do to get ahead and turn the tables on those other players, then played the game and achieved it

if all you see are insurmountable obstacles then i would suggest that you are playing the wrong game
what draws many players to this game is the challenge of achieving things
all that you need is provided by the game, learn to use it to your advantage

DeletedUser6560

Is that your best advice :P i'm going to stay off grid until its better. It needs addressing and your not willing to listen. I have someone who has a level 77 level Kraken farming me. I'll keep my page open and stay like that.

rjs66

Lieutenant
they can only "farm" you if you let them

don't leave productions sitting around waiting to be collected, use gbs and other buildings that can't be plundered, try a city shield

in 2 words, play smarter

DeletedUser6560

All this advice is rubbish. Your not listening to anyone. I'm going to sit on my account until something proper in done. take your pathways from your so called
base and just sit and wait. I have someone with a 77 level Kraken scalping me every day. How am i supposed to compete with that.

Agent327

Overlord
All this advice is rubbish. Your not listening to anyone. I'm going to sit on my account until something proper in done. take your pathways from your so called
base and just sit and wait. I have someone with a 77 level Kraken scalping me every day. How am i supposed to compete with that.

By trying to achieve the same.

rjs66

Lieutenant
a kraken still only kills 1 unit in the defending army no matter what level it is
you are seeing problems all out of proportion to what is there

if you aren't even going to try, then stop trying to ruin the game for others

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Let's stop kidding ourselves here. PIcking on weaker players who you know can't attack you back requires no strategic thinking whatsoever, it only keeps bullies happy, while driving a lot of people away from the game, which isn't good for anyone. Sure, the bullies have egos which they need stroked so they can admire themselves in their mirrors thinking themselves brilliant strategists, but really, all they are doing is ruining the game.

The game needs an upgrade in war strategy and tactics. I have a few ideas, like proper use of terrain and giving units a defence and attack cut if not using terrain properly.
I don't pick on anyone. I attack those that I know I can defeat while sustaining limited to 0 loses in return... if I know I can't win without losing 3+ units, then I just retreat - that city is well defended enough that [it's not worth the resources I'd put into the attack vs. what I could gain in return.
If you think that it's "smart" or "tactical" to lose 4-7 units at a time in order to *maybe* win a few goods or a fp or two, then you need you need to rethink your so-called "strategy". (yes, I know I need to really work on building up my atk% + plant a 'Traz;) )

Also, calling other people names and implying their losers at life IS bullying. (and also in your case, extremely hypocritical).

Vesiger

Monarch
This is just simply wrong in a few ways. The reason why some players are stronger than others is mainly due to the fact they've been playing longer. Not everyone has the same chances and opportunities, such as getting Cherry Blossom Set Upgrades, getting and building up their GB's, acquiring units out of age, acquiring city defense etc. because players start the game a different times.

What is the "right" decisions to compete in PvP? Currently it's to stay in IA locked behind the PvP Tech lock and camp for a few years which is the opposite prior to how this entire thread started since it was before the Jan 2017 hood change, prior to GE and prior to the PvP Tech lock, all of which has now incentivized players to camp and has created as much of a problem then the prior structure because it doesn't take into account anything but tech
The whole point of the PvP tech lock was to address just this issue.

Personally I think there's a lot of luck involved - I never spent large amounts of time into building up defences, running 24hr collections, etc, camping in an era, and as a beginner I relatively rarely got attacked. It's just a matter of whom you happen to have in your neighbourhood.

I've been attacked by people I couldn't possibly defeat, but so far I've been lucky enough not to get more than one of those at a time, and there's a limit to how much one person can plunder. I've definitely observed that the 'professional ' attackers only ever pick on easy meat - and of course when I get a quest that requires me to win six battles in a row, I do the same. They're interested in winning, not in being fair.