• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Win X Battles Without Losing

Calydor

Private
Can this requirement in quests and daily challenges please be put through the shredder?

I have played as a pacifist for the past ... how long has it been? Four years or so? I have reluctantly done the few quests that required fighting, but there always used to be an alternative - research, goods donation etc.

But now there is the requirement of not only fighting, but doing so skillfully enough that you don't lose for X battles. And I'll admit, I CAN'T. Because my entire city is focused on creating goods and resources, not boosting an army.

It was crappy enough that a STORY QUEST in the Oceanic Future had this requirement, and I had to spread those wins over two weeks in the first difficulty of the Guild Expedition, but now I'm getting them in the daily challenge as well - which means I can't even wait it out for the easy battles.

Before anyone mocks me, yes, I am posting this because I just lost a fight and had my meager progress on this requirement reset. Yes, I am salty. But come on, the game has until now allowed you to play without actually fighting - what the hell changed and why is this supposed to be fun?

DeletedUser96901

everybody has his problems in DC

I should do 24 times 4 hour production
5% chance to win a SoK. but most likely end with the 10 FP

so should I use my terrace farms to make them (sure I could use 8 of them)
what would the result. not producing the 5 FP in each
and at the end I would have lost more FP (40) than I win (10)

(and don't say: build blacksmith. there is no space for enough of them)

It was crappy enough that a STORY QUEST in the Oceanic Future had this requirement
more crappy than making 10 times the daily production in the boatyard ?

which means I can't even wait it out for the easy battles.
use one day and find neighbors with 2 spearfighters (attack and surrender)
write them down

then you have a list for easy victories if you need them

everybody has his problems in DC
use one day and find neighbors with 2 spearfighters (attack and surrender)
write them down

then you have a list for easy victories if you need them

That's what I use to do during my neighborhood battle days. Keep a spreadsheet - do the battle & mark each player with red/green numbers. indicating how many units you had left after the battle. If you battle someone and win the battle but lose 5 players → document it and do the next player. You have all the info you need for the 2 week run. Then do it again when the scouts find new neighbors - A little effort goes a long way. Just don't look for the easy/lazy way to progress thru the game. It takes a lot of work to win in a strategy game!

Agent327

Overlord
Am I really such a strange person when I don't WANT to attack my neighbors?

No. You are free to make that choice, but it is strange you complain about the fighting aspects of the game. This isn't Sim City. If you want to play Sim City style, you are free to do so, but stop complaining if you can not partake in all parts of the game.

DeletedUser111879

I think the point is for them to be, you know, challenging, and force you to maybe have to decide if the reward is worth doing something a bit outside of your comfort zone/usual playstyle. If they were too easy, they wouldn't warrant the types of rewards up for grabs. A heavy duty raider would also have problems with, I dunno, the production quests if they rely on their plunder spoils for production and goods. I know i have certainly seen a few cities with almost no production buildings, but loads of military buildings.

I am normally a fairly pacifist player as well, focusing more on building my city up for production and special buildings, and building towards pretty high defense to keep it all un-plundered. But I still invested in the Zeus/Aachen/del Monte GB's to help with Guild Expeditons, (and FPs from del Monte) so if possible, i try and do these 'win X battles' type quests in GE. If GE has progressed to the point where i have to negotiate to proceed, I go and attack a few players, the next day I try and aid the neighborhood. i also reciprocate people who aid me a few times a day, while i am sure i miss some who fall off the bottom of the list here and there, you aid me back after my post-attack aid spree, you probably won't get caught next time around. You can also just attack but choose not to plunder, if you like. Quest is completed but your neighbors don't lose anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

dimondus

Captain
I should add that winning battles are easier in higher ages (PME and up) than in middle ages coz players usually have Traz and all 3 attack GB at high levels.
I'm in HME in O world and such quests (and the one which require defeat X amount of units) are much harder if players develop city at normal pace and not sitting months in one age farming bp's and leveling BG's.

DeletedUser107476

I should add that winning battles are easier in higher ages (PME and up) than in middle ages coz players usually have Traz and all 3 attack GB at high levels.
I'm in HME in O world and such quests (and the one which require defeat X amount of units) are much harder if players develop city at normal pace and not sitting months in one age farming bp's and leveling BG's.
Firstly notes to self not to poach Dimondus lol.
If you are developing in way that I personally recommend which is keep your attack boosts level with GvG HQ for your era then winning 10 battles should be fairly easy. It actually becomes harder later eras due to daft boosts in GE that enemies get. In you case I would look at getting Aachen in.

Emberguard

Legend
yeah this is pretty difficult to do without attacking neighbours. It's not even worth waiting on expedition to see if there'll be one of these quests because it might never come.

dimondus

Captain
Firstly notes to self not to poach Dimondus lol.
If you are developing in way that I personally recommend which is keep your attack boosts level with GvG HQ for your era then winning 10 battles should be fairly easy. It actually becomes harder later eras due to daft boosts in GE that enemies get. In you case I would look at getting Aachen in.

Sadly, I'm yet to meet GvG in person. My current guild is not GvG oriented.

DeletedUser107476

Sadly, I'm yet to meet GvG in person. My current guild is not GvG oriented.
You can look on map for your era even if guild does not fight there. Click on any HQ and hover over the DA's and it will tell you boost.

DeletedUser107470

Just go through your hood one at a time, there are always some that have no defense as they are sick of plundering, don’t know why you are complaining anyway,

If what my mate told me is true he just got completely ripped.
Could not log into the game due to a change in script, that is a bug,

But when he finally got back in lost a few days FP collection, that just life and needs to get over that.

Here’s the kicker, they have lost all FP, medals and goods,
The community manager said can’t be returned as it was due to a bug, We are talking over 4K FP.

Bug was not being able to log in.

This is totally unjust and unfair

Ps I have seen the support replies

Agent327

Overlord

If you attack your neighbours it is easy in all ages.

DeletedUser110131

such quests (and the one which require defeat X amount of units) are much harder if players develop city at normal pace and not sitting months in one age farming bp's and leveling BG's.
Advancing faster than you develop your city may be common, but I wouldn't consider it to be the norm, which would be a balanced progression, in congruence with Inno's balancing of the game.

dimondus

Captain
Advancing faster than you develop your city may be common, but I wouldn't consider it to be the norm, which would be a balanced progression, in congruence with Inno's balancing of the game.
Under "normal pace" I mean research all techs under certain age, then build all necessary buildings, then conquer all provinces of particular age and last get at least add 1 level to all GB's in the city or build new ones of that age.
Its obvious Inno wants players to advance faster with all these quests/tasks that has no alternatives and require research technology or conquer sectors/province in continent map.

Last edited:

DeletedUser110131

Its obvious Inno wants players to advance faster with all these quests/tasks that has no alternatives and require research technology or conquer sectors/province in continent map.
Inno wants to create challenges for the players. Remaining in the same era for long is difficult, and is supposed to be difficult, just like advancing to quickly is risky, and supposed to be risky. Both have significant advantages, though, and it's up to the player to find the balance that works for him/her. If the quests are becoming too hard, then you haven't found the balance that's right for you. The "normal" is the range within which most players find their balance.

One new level to GBs per era is rarely enough. It'll quickly leave you outmatched, both on the Continent Map, and in GE. The normal progression is to get the levels and GBs you absolutely must have, and then the ones your chosen strategy calls for. Anything faster than that may be common, but it's not normal.

If everyone else tried to fly by jumping off a cliff while flapping their arms, would you follow, based on the assumption that it's the normal thing to do? Myself, as a bare minimum, I want a paraglider, before I'll consider it even remotely normal to fly by jumping off a cliff.

dimondus

Captain
Anything faster than that may be common, but it's not normal.
Sorry, I meant "common" and not "normal", English is hard :)
Observing countless neighborhoods I've noticed that its usually 5-10 players with very high points for particular age (sitting ducks) and 10-20 players in the bottom (hoppers) other 50-65 players are in the middle with close enough ranking points.
I'm usually at top half of that crowd that I refer as "common".
Respectable positions that are out of plunder range, works for me.
The normal progression is to get the levels and GBs you absolutely must have
I assumed people will build GB's that they absolutely must have. Why build something to level 1 and then not level it up, it only will take precious space?
Of course not all GB's will be the same level but I like them to be 1-2 level difference (again, only those I absolutely need in my city).

Last edited:

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Going to echo the, 'just beat-up your neighbourhood' tactic...
Most people in the bottom 25% of a hood will have non-existent defenses, and are always easy pickings.

Much harder I find are the "defeat 50-70 enemy units" quests, since it gets beyond tedious having to grind out most of it on just 2 spearchumpies at a time!:P
(only EMA in both my cities, so, most of 'hoodies outside of the top 15 or so have few to non-existent defenders >.< )