• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

trying to overthrow Hymir

• Thread starter DeletedUser1109
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser1109

I have tried to overthrow Heymir many times. Usually with 2 horsemen, 2 slingers, and 4 spearmen and two times I have been defeated. I now have warriors. I am going to try 3 horsemen, 3 warriors, and 2 slingers, but before I do i want some advice. Is this the right tactic or should I wait till i have better warriors. I am going against, 5 spearmen, 1 horsseman, a stone thrower and a slinger. Also, I usually let the computer simulate the entire battle since I have tried and it takes so long and I have no clue how to do this. Any suggestions? thanks

DeletedUser

Run the battle yourself.

But first practice on the smaller, inactive players in your section until you are familiar with how it works.

DeletedUser1081

here's a chart with stats for the various units that should help:
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/...ings-and-their-units&highlight=military+stats
read the key at the bottom to see how the colours indicate which units are particularly effective against which other units. and unless you're facing a very weak opponent (for example your whole army against two spears) don't have the AI (Artificial Intelligence) run the battle. it's not smart enough.

have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

2 stonethrower would take take down the opposite stone thrower first then the slinger, 6 archers would kill the rest. You should have no lost.

And never ever use the battle's autorun feature, AI doesnt know how to use ranged units.

Edit : sorry meant 6 slingers, thanks mink.

DeletedUser1081

6 archers would kill the rest.

well, yeah they sure would! but where does one get six archers that early in the game? it's a Bronze Age scenario.

DeletedUser

I overthrew him with 4 slingers and 4 spears. I didn't have warriors at the time. Keep your slingers in the back and spread out. Never let the computer run the game!!

DeletedUser

I did it on my first day playing with all spears on my first try... Just wait for them to come to you. Draw them in then pounce on your terms.

After that though, how the hell do you get the resource to scout the next area?

DeletedUser1081

how the hell do you get the resource to scout the next area?

... what do you mean? to scout a region, you click the telescope thing, which charges you the stated amount of gold. then come back after the indicated time has elapsed.

or are you talking about the goods used for negotiations? you need to either produce them or trade for them (or a combination of both).

DeletedUser

The section above hymir, the resource required to scout it isn't anything I can find anywhere. its like silver coins or something but I can't even hover my mouse over it to find out what its actually called. Or is it just greyed out because I am too early in the game maybe?

DeletedUser1081

ahh so: if i understand you right, that's a raw material depost - something you'll get when you conquer the province, not something you need to scout it. it's all explained as you go along.

DeletedUser

It uses gold coins to scout above Hymir it just looks silver if you don't have enough coins.

As soon as you have enough coins(in this case 500) it should appear as gold and you can select it to send your scout

DeletedUser

And never ever use the battle's autorun feature, AI doesnt know how to use ranged units.

I never use anything BUT the auto-complete battle feature, because the interface to control troops individually is so non-intuitive, I haven't the time or inclination to play with it.

Are there any instructions or guides as to how it's meant to work? Units move in the window at the base of the screen - why do they do this? I click on one of my units, a red arrow appears and I move that unit. I try to click another and no red arrow - why not? After a few frustrating attempts, I went to Auto-complete every time.

DeletedUser

I did it with 8 spears :/ DON'T use horsemen, they just get slaughtered, I usually have a main body of troops to absorb damage for battles (5 spears at that stage) and then I used another 3 on the flanks to deal with the artillery, the enemy NEVER bother protecting vulnerable units.

DeletedUser

And bear in mind what I call 'the law of appetizing targets', the AI will nearly always attack either your most damaged unit or your furthest forward unit, with that in mind make sure the artillery chooses to target near dead men, and doesn't decimate your stronger units, of the 8 spears I used here, using this strategy only 3 men died.

DeletedUser

I never use anything BUT the auto-complete battle feature , I haven't the time or inclination to play with it.
the one thing i am rubbish at , is pvp. so auto run.
i win or lose , that's it.
i'll send in 8 of the toughest troops i have , usually works. and while my guys are fighting , i'll go make a cup of tea :)
i'm still bronze age , and i'm taking over iron age provinces , so i'm happy.
so far :)

DeletedUser

Are there any instructions or guides as to how it's meant to work? Units move in the window at the base of the screen - why do they do this? I click on one of my units, a red arrow appears and I move that unit. I try to click another and no red arrow - why not? After a few frustrating attempts, I went to Auto-complete every time.

Gryphon, the row of units in the window at the base of the screen during a battle is just a line-up to show you when each unit gets his turn next, to help you plan accordingly. Those with a red outline are the enemy units, while the blue outlined units are yours. You can only move a unit when it's his turn.

When you clicked on one of your units and the red arrow to move appeared, it was just a coincidence that his turn happened to come up right as you clicked on him! :)

DeletedUser

The other option of course is to Negotiate for, or Buy, the province, with the resources asked for.

Far easier than battling for them; takes a bit longer sometimes.

DeletedUser

You should go like me, no plan just force.

I get the best men I can and send them all out, after infiltrating their defence. Works most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.