• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: (New Game Feature) PvP neighbourhood map

Good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser105078

Proposal:
Create a PvP neighbourhood map. This would replace the current PvP system.

Have you checked for similar ideas?
I have checked, and I have not found this particular idea.

Reason:
It would provide some of the excitement found in GvG, without the requirements and limitations of GvG (ie: GvG is one of the best experiences in the game, but it takes a lot of organisation, it's not available on mobile but only on a PC, it requires live chat which is probably hard to implement on mobile, and requires membership of a committed GvG guild).

I imagine that, at the start of the week, there'd be a grab for houses - the NPCs should be easy to defeat. Then, in the course of the week, the more dedicated players with the highest attack and defence bonus would fight over the houses, with fewer and fewer owners dominating the map.

But unlike the GvG map which ends up being fairly static (even if a guild stops doing GvG they continue to own sectors for months and months!), this neighbourhood map would be much more dynamic, since it never allows anyone to "camp" a house for more than a week.

It would solve the plunder controversy, as there would be no longer any need to plunder other players. Instead of attacking a neighbour's city, players would attack houses on the PvP map, and instead of being rewarded with plunder, they would be rewarded with a chest produced once a day by the house.

I believe this system would improve the game for:

1) PVP players would be assured of a reward (from the house chests), while in the current system they may put a lot of effort into PVP for little reward if they miss collecting plunder before the other player collects, or if the other player disconnects roads, or is not producing (there is no way for a plunderer to know if certain building are "asleep"). And often, if the other player has only two spears, there aren't even any points to be won for the tournament.

2) Peaceful players and casual players would be able to play the game at their own pace, without the aggravation of being plundered.

3) Players who like fighting but don't like the plunder feature: they would probably take part in this new PVP system because the optional nature of it is similar to GvG.

4) It would be profitable for the game producers, as many players who have a job and a busy life also have more money to spend on diamonds, and they are typically the people who leave because they get fed up with being plundered - a plunderer is typically a hard-core player with a lot of time to play the game.

Details:
The PvP neighbourhood map would start the week with a number of "houses" owned by NPCs. This should be equal to the number of players in the neighbourhood so as to provide enough battles for players trying to get points in the weekly tournament, and it could increase in future updates based on player dynamics.

Any player in the neighbourhood can attack and occupy these "houses", but other players in the neighbourhood can attack an occupied "house" and if they win, they become the new owner. Players can own as many houses as they can conquer and keep, but only until the end of the week, when all neighbourhood maps are wiped and the PvP battle starts again from scratch.

The defence bonus on each house is 0% if it's an NPC, but it reflects the owner's city defence in an occupied house.

Players who occupy a "house" should be shielded until the next "reset" time (like in GvG).

Every day the house produces a chest of random goods. To make sure this does not benefit people in certain time zones as opposed to others, the reward should be available to collect when the player conquers the house and every 24 hours thereafter.

The chest should produce coins, supplies, goods, FPs, and maybe some more highly sought prizes such as premium buildings. Each map could have different types of houses, eg the houses of that age, with the better houses producing better chests so players would fight over them more.

Assuming neighbourhoods will or will not continue to be organised by age, I can see three options:

1) Splitting the map by age (as in GvG) to account for the fact that some people in the neighbourhood will progress to the next age during the course of the week, and some players may only have barracks for the earlier age.
Pros: this would be the fairest system and reduce the need for neighbourhoods to be organised by age.
Cons: this might be more complicated to implement and some regions of the map might be underutilised.

2) Having a single map for the whole neighbourhood, and anybody can use whatever troops they have. This solution would require neighbourhoods to be organised by age as in the current system.
Pros: this might be easier to implement.
Cons: players who progress will have an advantage over their neighbours, and players who have just entered a new age will be disadvantaged (however, the attack and defence bonus of a more advanced player would gradually reduce as they occupy more houses, allowing other players to fight back).

3) Having a single map for the whole neighbourhood, but disallowing attack troops above the neighbourhood's age. Unlike GvG, lower age troops would have to be allowed as players who've only just entered a new age might not have any barracks for the new age. This solution would require neighbourhoods to be organised by age as in the current system.
Pros: this might be easier to implement and would also be more fair and balanced.
Cons: there would be less incentive to gain troops above one's existing age.

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
To participate in the PvP neighbourhood map, players will need to boost their defence armies with St Basil, Deal, and all the many buildings that boost defence. Non PvP players will not need to do this, therefore the rewards from the PvP chests should take this into account and be appropriately rewarding. Some players may just dip into PvP occasionally, some never. Players who do not take part in PvP would progress more slowly, but would be able to enjoy the game at their own pace.

Since this is a PvP map, I personally do not see any need to introduce a "negotiation" option, just as there is no option to "negotiate" when one currently attacks a city and plunders it. Nor is there any "negotiation" option in GvG. However, such an option is not impossible, where a player "buys" a house from an existing owner, and it could be considered in future if there is sufficient demand.

To avoid having just a couple of players completely dominating the map, the bonuses of the attacking and defending armies could gradually decrease by a percentage based on how many houses a player owns. The percentage would be greater or smaller depending on whether the developers want to favour bonuses or player participation.

Here is an example of how to gradually decrease a defence bonus of 300; attack bonuses would be decreased in a similar manner:
- 10% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 270 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 243 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be nil. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.
- 5% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 285 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 271 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be 5%. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.
- 1% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 297 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 294 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be 136. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.

Another way to avoid a few players controlling the map from day one would be to limit how many NPCs per day a player may attack.

Plunder GBs
Players who have gone to the trouble of building a plunder GB would not have wasted their efforts, because the GBs would be used to increase the rewards from PvP houses.

Visual Aids:

PvP map 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It would solve the plunder controversy, as there would be no longer any need to plunder other players. Many players who don't do much PvP because they don't like the plunder feature would probably take part in this type of PvP, because the optional nature of it is similar to GvG.

It would definitely get me into PvP, at least to try.

Every day the house produces a chest of random goods, which can be collected by the owner of the house one or more hours before "reset" time - so, when players manage to win a house, they will get at least one chest if they collect it on time, even if they get kicked out of the house by another player after reset.

The problem I see with that is that it would favour certain time zones. If the time that the chest is produced happens to be right in the middle of my sleeping or working hours, I'm at a disadvantage against somebody for whom it is evening.

Another option might be to give the reward when the player conquers the house and every 24 hours thereafter. Or maybe just give the player the reward whenever she logs in after the restart, regardless of whether she's lost it or not.

DeletedUser105078

It would definitely get me into PvP, at least to try.

The problem I see with that is that it would favour certain time zones. If the time that the chest is produced happens to be right in the middle of my sleeping or working hours, I'm at a disadvantage against somebody for whom it is evening.

Another option might be to give the reward when the player conquers the house and every 24 hours thereafter. Or maybe just give the player the reward whenever she logs in after the restart, regardless of whether she's lost it or not.
That makes a lot of sense :)

Agent327

Overlord
Basically this is GvG for single players,so it will have the same abuse as GvG. Also it will be dominated by the stronger players. Te player that dominates his neighbourhood and plunders players will dominate here as well. Only here he does not have to plunder cause he gets rewarded.

DeletedUser

I've been thinking about this for a while. Let me start by the important stuff:

+1

I think that it is a really cool idea. It lets people who like PvP participate in it, and people who don't be left out. Moreover, what you get from it is a bonus for everybody, so nobody loses their 24 hrs. production on that. That would solve the problem of people who quit the game because of plundering, as well as give an interesting, rewarding PvP system. I would love to play something like that.

I've got two questions, though:
- Suppose you own a house and somebody else comes along and conquers it. What happens then to the defending army? Do they get killed, or do they resurrect, just as with the current defence system? (Maybe your analogy of GvG gives the answer, but I've never played GvG, so I don't know how it works).
- Suppose I conquer a house. Do I need to keep a defending army there at all? Can I change it? Do I need to keep the same troops that I used to attack in it?

DeletedUser105078

I've got two questions, though:
- Suppose you own a house and somebody else comes along and conquers it. What happens then to the defending army? Do they get killed, or do they resurrect, just as with the current defence system? (Maybe your analogy of GvG gives the answer, but I've never played GvG, so I don't know how it works).
- Suppose I conquer a house. Do I need to keep a defending army there at all? Can I change it? Do I need to keep the same troops that I used to attack in it?

In GvG, you have to pay for defending army slots with goods from the guild treasury, and the defense bonus depends on your guild support pool. I had not envisaged using defence army slots in the PvP map. For simplicity, I had envisaged using the current city defence system for the purpose. So, if I owned one or more houses on the PvP map. the defence in them would be the units I have selected to defend my city, with the same bonuses they have atm (from St Basil, Deal, watchfires, etc).

So the programming should not be too difficult, because we would basically be using the same army management window as we do now: when we attack a house, we'd put the units we want to use in the "currently selected army."

To defend a house we have conquered, we simply allocate a defending army like we do now in the army management window. It would mean that all our houses would have the same defending army, and like in PvP, they would not die when conquered - they would still be defending any other "house" we own.

The most successful PvP players would be the ones with the highest attack and defence GBs. But besides the buildings, fighting skill would play a part too, since good manual fighting is much more effective than the AI.

I imagine all these details would need to be ironed out by the developers, and of course other options would be feasible too. I've just been going for the simplest solutions.

Agent327

Overlord
With defence based on your own defence this becomes more and more a feature only for the stronger players. Not loosing your defending army only adds to that. The most successful PvP players, the ones with the highest attack and defence GBs, don't need fight skill. They do it on auto.

DeletedUser111866

Frankly there is a lot of stuff to account for, but the idea is at least interesting. The things that alter a lot are the following:

- How to calculate PVP attack and defence bonus if attacker and defender both have many houses conquered? This might be needed in case of a very high attack bonus for a dedicated person, with this he might easily conquer the entire map solo.
- How to handle simultaneous defence, and who will then own the house in dispute? An example: Player A has a house, players B and C both attack it at once facing A's units, and both win. Who should get the house? Can the player that did not get the house try and seize it from the new owner?
- How to handle simultaneous attack (if there is a dynamic bonus for defender)? Say player A has 80 houses, a guild cooperated and attacked that player within a small time frame, each having an easy fight, and player A lost all houses despite having huge bonuses. Sounds unfair.
- Should there be a minimal time for players to hold their house(s) once conquered, before others might assault it? And should it be lower the more houses you control for each newly acquired house?
- How often could the resources be collected from each house? What will happen to partly finished production if a house changes hands? Should the production timer be visible from the map?
- What Pink.Buffoon asked. What if you own many houses, can you designate the same set on units to defend every house?
- What if someone attacked a house and left (disconnected, etc), in the meantime something has changed for that house?
Etc.

Overall +1

DeletedUser107476

Will the DA's have to be removed from the players army management the same as for GvG?

DeletedUser105078

Lots of interesting questions to be thrashed out! I'll try to give a few possible solutions.

First of all, we should consider two possible scenarios:

- Scenario 1: Similarly to GvG, each house would have DA slots that need to be bought and may be replaced if the house has not been fully conquered (bearing in mind that it's just one person, not a guild, so you could not expect a whole lot of DAs for each house - maybe just one or two - and not too many battles to defeat a DA - maybe just 5). Also, when you attack a house, you would need to set a siege, which could also cost something.

- Scenario 2: Similarly to the current PvP system, the house would be automatically defended by the defence army in your Army Management window, the same that currently defends your city. With this system, it would take a single battle to win a house, just like you only need 1 battle to defeat a city in the current PvP system.

I personally favour scenario 2 as it would be simpler, but scenario 1 may have its merits.

- How to calculate PVP attack and defence bonus if attacker and defender both have many houses conquered? This might be needed in case of a very high attack bonus for a dedicated person, with this he might easily conquer the entire map solo.

Interesting question! If the attack bonus were reduced by a certain percentage when attacking subsequent houses, it would level the playing field and allow more people to take part. Such a reduction should be gradual. I would calculate it as a percentage of each previous reduction, eg if you start with an attack bonus of 100, on the 2nd house it would go down to 100-100*10%=90, on the 3rd it would be 90-90*10%=81, on the 4th it would be 81-81*10%=73, etc. Very easily calculated with a formula on Excel. (there must be a mathematical term for that kind of reduction, but I can't find it!)

- How to handle simultaneous defence, and who will then own the house in dispute? An example: Player A has a house, players B and C both attack it at once facing A's units, and both win. Who should get the house? Can the player that did not get the house try and seize it from the new owner?

In scenario 1, like in GvG you would have to set a siege army for the attack, and another player would have to defeat your siege army before being able to attack the house.

In scenario 2, there's only one battle to fight. If two players attack the same house at the same time, the 1st one to win will get it, and the 2nd person will receive a pop-up message in the middle of battle (like when you're fighting in GvG and somebody else defeats the last army before you) saying that the defence has already been defeated. The player that didn't get the house will have to wait until reset time (or for a certain number of hours) to try and seize it from the new owner. Like in GvG, a newly conquered house will be shielded for a while.

- How to handle simultaneous attack (if there is a dynamic bonus for defender)? Say player A has 80 houses, a guild cooperated and attacked that player within a small time frame, each having an easy fight, and player A lost all houses despite having huge bonuses. Sounds unfair.

Again, an interesting question. If the defence bonus is unchanged however many houses a player owns, somebody with a massive defence bonus could get in early and defeat all the NPC, and it could be difficult if not impossible for any other player to win a house even on manual attack. A solution might be to reduce the defence bonus by a small percentage based on how many houses you own. The percentage would depend on whether the game wants to favour defence bonus or player participation.

Here are a few examples, for somebody with a defence bonus of 300:
- 10% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 270 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 243 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be nil. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.
- 5% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 285 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 271 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be 5%. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.
- 1% reduction on defence: while you own one house, you have the full bonus. While you own 2 houses, both have 297 bonus. While you own 3 houses, all 3 have 294 bonus. By the time you own 80 houses, your defence would be 136. But if someone starts conquering your houses, the defence would immediately go up with every house lost.

- Should there be a minimal time for players to hold their house(s) once conquered, before others might assault it? And should it be lower the more houses you control for each newly acquired house?

There should definitely be a minimal time for players to hold their house(s) once conquered, before others might assault it. This would be a shield, like in GvG. There would be two option: 1) the shield would last until reset time, as in GvG (8pm GMT), or 2) the shield would last for a certain number of hours (eg: 12 hours, or 24 hours). I think it would be too complicated to base the shield time on the number of houses one owns. Each house would have its own shield timer, so if I own 5 houses and conquer a 6th one, only the 6th house would be shielded. If I go on to conquer a 7th house, that one would also be shielded, either till reset or for a number of hours.

- How often could the resources be collected from each house? What will happen to partly finished production if a house changes hands? Should the production timer be visible from the map?

To account for people in different time zones, you should be able to collect resources as soon as you conquer a house (so you don't loose the collection if your shield expires while you're asleep!) and 24 hours thereafter, just like you collect from a GB. If the house changes hands, you loose any partly finished production. But even if you lose it as soon as your shield expires, you still get at least one collection.

- What Pink.Buffoon asked. What if you own many houses, can you designate the same set on units to defend every house?

If the scenario 1 (see top of post) were adopted, like in GvG you would assign a DA for each house (and presumably, like in GvG, you would have to pay for it). If scenario 2 were adopted, all your houses would be defended by the same units, ie the ones you set in your "Army Management Window" as "Defence Army". This would cost nothing, it would be the simplest solution, and it would reflect the current PvP system.

- What if someone attacked a house and left (disconnected, etc), in the meantime something has changed for that house?

However many people attack a house, only the first to win would get it, the others would get a pop-up in battle saying the house has gone. If somebody is disconnected in the middle of battle and the house changes hands, they would likewise get a pop-up message saying the house has gone to another owner. This would be similar to what happens in GvG when you defeat the last army in a DA slot: any another guild member fighting that same army will get a pop-up saying that somebody else has already won the battle.

- Will the DA's have to be removed from the players army management the same as for GvG?

If you follow scenario 1, you would have to allocate one or more DAs for every house like in GvG. Defeated DAs would be removed. You could not use the "Army Management Window" in this scenario, as there is only a single DA there. If you removed that, then any other house you owned would be defenceless.

If you follow scenario 2, the DA would not be removed when you conquer a house, it would continue to protect all your other houses. You would set it in your "Army Management Window", and however many times it is defeated, it would never die, just as in the current PvP system.

DeletedUser107476

-1 Then as there is no real cost to top players taking over whole map. If they had to place a DA in every house and these troops came from their army management then this would reduce this happening. This idea helps those who sit in an era with exceptionally high era GB's and plunder lower players as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord
-1 Then as there is no real cost to top players taking over whole map. If they had to place a DA in every house and these troops came from their army management then this would reduce this happening. This idea helps those who sit in an era with exceptionally high era GB's and plunder lower players as it is.

Didn't I just say that from the get go?

Agent327

Overlord
You may well of done but I wanted that question answered first to be sure.

It is nothing but a weak version of GvG for single players that favors the strong players. Even if there were costs the strong players can pay those with ease. Costs would actually favor them even more, cause less strong players will have more problem paying these costs.

Argument that no longer will need to plunder is a non-argument. Players do not plunder cause they need to. They do so cause they like to.

DeletedUser105078

If we have DAs and Siege armies, it would indeed be like Agent327 says, a watered down version of GvG. But if we use the Army Management window for everything, and just one battle to win one house, the PvP map will be much more dynamic than the GvG map.

So, how to prevent some players dominating the map?

You do it by gradually decreasing defence and attack bonus. If a player owns one house, he/she has the full bonus. As soon as they have more houses, the attack army and defence army bonuses go down by a percentage (ie: both the attack & defence bonus of the attacking army and the attack and defence bonus of the defending army).

This way, however large their original bonus, they would not be able to dominate the whole map. They would have an advantage over other players, naturally, since they'd have put more effort into building up their attack and defence GBs, but they would not stop others from owning houses too.

Another big difference between the PvP neighbourhood map and the GvG map would be that the PvP map would reset (start from scratch) every week, so nobody could just camp houses forever, as people do in GvG.

Agent327

Overlord
No player is able to dominate the entire map. A group of players is and as usual they make arrangements on this amongst eachother and keep others out. Resetting it does not matter. It will be still the same players all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.