• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: (New Game Feature) PvP neighbourhood map

Good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent327

Overlord
Have you ever, perhaps, wondered by people put much more effort into boosting offensive GBs than defensive GBs?

I never wonder by people. Everybody has the option to built a decent defence. If you decide not to do so fine. It is your choice, but stop complaining about being plundered!

Meh. I see your point, but I find it a rather petty argument. The ranking hardly means anything at all, it's just a number. If you play the game to get high in the ranking, then maybe pushing others down has a value. Otherwise, I hardly think that's the case.

To you the ranking hardly means anything. To others it is the most important part of the game. Fact is, it is a part of the game and you can not dismiss it, simply cause you do not like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically your argument boils down to: I don't want an alternative PvP system, because I want to steal from other players. That's really no better at all than I want an alternative PvP system, because I don't like stealing from other players. It's just a matter of preference.

You are wrong. This isn't an alternative PvP system, but it is a system to avoid plundering. PvP is more than just gaining points by attacking your neighbours. I can win the PvP tower without attacking one of my neighbours. Why does that have to be replaced? Besides that I am totally against it because of the high possibility to ubuse it.

This: Putting up defensive GBs costs twice as much space as putting up offensive GBs (relative space, that is). Space is already a very limited resource. That makes offensive GBs better than defensive GBs and, therefore, turns the tides on the aggressor.

That does not matter. Every building you put down comes with costs. It is your choice to take. If the higher costs is a reason for you not to put it down, fine, but stop whining about the consequences. I can put down wishing wells in the hope I will get diamonds. They also take up space. If they do not give diamonds I should accept it as my choice and not start complaining about it and demand the chance to get diamonds needs to be higher.

You're talking about equality of opportunity, she's talking about equality of prowess. That's why you're completely missing her point. Her point is that she does not like to compete against people who do not want/do not know how/have no time to compete. Whether they've got the opportunity or not is irrelevant. She wants to compete against people who are up for the fight.

There is no equality of prowess. You are fighting a bad AI.

DeletedUser

I never wonder by people. Everybody has the option to built a decent defence. If you decide not to do so fine. It is your choice, but stop whining about being plundered!

To you the ranking hardly means anything. To others it is the most important part of the game. Fact is, it is a part of the game and you can not dismiss it, simply cause you do not like it.

You are wrong. This isn't an alternative PvP system, but it is a system to avoid plundering. PvP is more than just gaining points by attacking your neighbours. I can win the PvP tower without attacking one of my neighbours. Why does that have to be replaced? Besides that I am totally against it because of the high possibility to ubuse it.

That does not matter. Every building you put down comes with costs. It is your choice to take. If the higher costs is a reason for you not to put it down, fine, but stop whining about the consequences. I can put down wishing wells in the hope I will get diamaonds. They also take up space. If they do not giove diamonds I should acceopt it as my choice and not start whining about it and demand the chance to get diamonds needss to be higher.

There is no equality of prowess. You are fighting a bad AI.

Just a piece of advice, if you poke fun at people for their typos, make sure that there aren't any typos in your post. That really makes you look bad.

Regarding the rest of your post, when you write something relevant that's not a bunch of ad hominem fallacies and unwarranted assumptions, I'll answer.

DeletedUser105078

PvP is more than just gaining points by attacking your neighbours.

PvP = Player versus player
In FOE, the only players you can attack are your neighbours.

I can win the PvP tower without attacking one of my neighbours. Why does that have to be replaced?

By PvP towers, I expect you mean the weekly tournament towers? I have not seen them called PvP towers in the game. Such a name would be a misnomer, since the towers give points for any kind of fighting, not only PvP. They also give points if you fight in GvG, Guild Expeditions, and on the Continent Map.
The PvP neighbourhood map proposal does not in any way aim to replace the weekly tournament towers.

Agent327

Overlord
Just a piece of advice, if you poke fun at people for their typos, make sure that there aren't any typos in your post. That really makes you look bad.

Only if I make fun of typos. but I don't think I did that.

Regarding the rest of your post, when you write something relevant that's not a bunch of ad hominem fallacies and unwarranted assumptions, I'll answer.
'

Wow, you must have gone to university, or did you look it up? Those are really big words to indicate you CAN not answer.

By PvP towers, I expect you mean the weekly tournament towers? I have not seen them called PvP towers in the game.

There is a lot you have not seen in the game.

https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Campaign_Map

Halfway down "Long term rewards".

and

https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Neighborhood_Tournaments

or

https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Game_Slang
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Game_Slang
Look under P

Such a name would be a misnomer, since the towers give points for any kind of fighting, not only PvP. They also give points if you fight in GvG, Guild Expeditions, and on the Continent Map.
The PvP neighbourhood map proposal does not in any way aim to replace the weekly tournament towers.

You do not replace it, you change it. I can no longer score points against all my neighbours, cause I can no longer attack them. In your system I can only attack the few neigbours that play on your neighbourhood map. Those are most likely the stronger neighbours in the neigbourhood, so scoring points will be a lot harder and for those low in the neighbourhood rather impossible. You might as well say the PvP tower is replaced with a different PvP tower for the elite. Since scoring points on your map will be a lot harder players will move to GvG for point scoring and the abuse in GvG will rise. Another point against it.

DeletedUser105078

If you base your knowledge of the game on forum posts and game guides, I can understand the confusion. Not everything you read in a forum is necessarily accurate. As I said, in the game itself, the towers are referred to as "tower for the X tournament" in the Continent map, and as "X tower" in the Events Window (with X standing for the relevant Age).

You do not replace it, you change it. I can no longer score points against all my neighbours, cause I can no longer attack them. In your system I can only attack the few neigbours that play on your neighbourhood map. Those are most likely the stronger neighbours in the neigbourhood, so scoring points will be a lot harder and for those low in the neighbourhood rather impossible. You might as well say the PvP tower is replaced with a different PvP tower for the elite. Since scoring points on your map will be a lot harder players will move to GvG for point scoring and the abuse in GvG will rise. Another point against it.

You win points in the tournament towers every time you fight, whether it's against an NPC in the Continent Map or in Guild Expeditions, or against a neighbour in PvP, or against a guild in GvG.

In the PvP neighbourhood map, you will be able to fight a battle for every house on the map. If another player in your neighbourhood owns 10 houses, you can fight 10 battles and win points on each one. So the number of battles you can fight depends on the number of houses, which the developers can change based on player dynamics. In the proposal, I have suggested starting with a number of houses equal to the number of players in the neighbourhood. So, if there are 70 players in the neighbourhood, there will be 70 houses, and you'll be able to fight 69 battles, and if you win them all, you will get that many points in the tournament tower of your age. By the time you have conquered every house on the map, the bonus of your defence army will be 0%, so you will not be able to hold the houses for more than 24 hours, giving everyone else an opportunity to win houses.

Besides winning points when fighting in the PvP neighbourhood map, you would continue to win points in the tournament tower every time you fought in Guild Expeditions, Continent Map, and GvG. Since the introduction of Guild Expeditions, many players get most of their tournament tower points from fighting in GE (not to be confused with GvG).

Stronger players who you would have a lot of difficulty defeating in the existing PvP system because they have their whole defence bonus protecting their city would be easier to defeat in the PvP neighbourhood map if they own several houses, because the attack and defense bonus of their defending army would be reduced the more houses they owned.

DeletedUser97688

Think it sounds good, keep it alongside the current system? +1

Agent327

Overlord
Since the introduction of Guild Expeditions, many players get most of their tournament tower points from fighting in GE (not to be confused with GvG).

The players that win the towers do not get their points from GE. They get them from abusing the system.

All you do is explain your idea again and again and you do that from a view that clearly shows that you do not know how many players approach the game. You do not respond to the objections made let alone solve the problems that are suggested.

DeletedUser105078

The players that win the towers do not get their points from GE. They get them from abusing the system.

Have you ever played in GE?

All you do is explain your idea again and again and you do that from a view that clearly shows that you do not know how many players approach the game.

You keep telling me that I don't know this and I don't know that. I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't know. Do you know how many players approach the game?

You do not respond to the objections made let alone solve the problems that are suggested.

I have done my best to respond to your objections and the problems you suggested. I am sorry if my efforts have not been satisfactory.

Agent327

Overlord
Have you ever played in GE?

What is GE?

You keep telling me that I don't know this and I don't know that. I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't know. Do you know how many players approach the game?

There are two players in this thread that tell you that players who are not from the same guild work together, but since you never heard of it you dismiss it as non existing.

DeletedUser105078

What is GE?

GE is short for Guild Expeditions.

There are two players in this thread that tell you that players who are not from the same guild work together, but since you never heard of it you dismiss it as non existing.

Two years ago, I was briefly in a guild that encouraged plunder, so I witnessed guild members swapping info about a victim's defence and goods. I admit that such an agreement could also be arranged among neighbours who are not in the same guild. Personally, I have never been offered and have never sought any such agreement with my neighbours, although I've often been around the top of my neighbourhood.

Two examples of PvP players aiding each other have been mentioned in this thread:
- Swapping info about a victim's buildings to plunder: a PvP player loses nothing by divulging this information.
- Swapping info about a victim's defence army: you risk losing your rank in the weekly tournament tower, because if other neighbours win easy battles, they could rise to the top of the ranking and overtake you.

In the PvP Neighbourhood Map, you say the top players in a neighbourhood would agree on how to divide the map between them. This would be a difficult negotiation, because these players would have to calculate how many houses AND which houses each of them would be entitled to (bearing in mind that some houses would be superior and provide better chests). Say we have 70 houses, and the top 5 players in the neighbourhood open a chat in the message board to negotiate.

Player 1 could say; "I'm number one in the 'hood, so I should have 10 superior houses and 20 standard houses."
Player 2 could say: "I want 10 superior and 10 standard houses".
Player 3 could say: "Alright, I'll have 10 standard houses."
Player 4 could say: "I'll have 7 houses"
Then player 5 could say, "What, that leaves only 3 houses for me! You guys might have more points but I have more attack bonus and I'm a good strategist, so I want at least 10 houses."
Next thing you know, the 5 are having a verbal squabble on the message board while the other players who aren't involved in any agreement grab all the houses, LOL :)

In short, what I'm saying is that any kind of agreement between neighbours in the PvP Neighbourhood Map would be totally different from the sort of agreements neighbours might make to plunder a victim repeatedly.

DeletedUser97688

So now we have three pages of this Agent's stupid blithering to distract from the original idea...

Agent327

Overlord
GE is short for Guild Expeditions.

Had to make sure. Never seen it be called that in the game and I did not want to base my knowledge on forum posts.

In the PvP Neighbourhood Map, you say the top players in a neighbourhood would agree on how to divide the map between them. This would be a difficult negotiation, because these players would have to calculate how many houses AND which houses each of them would be entitled to (bearing in mind that some houses would be superior and provide better chests). Say we have 70 houses, and the top 5 players in the neighbourhood open a chat in the message board to negotiate.

Player 1 could say; "I'm number one in the 'hood, so I should have 10 superior houses and 20 standard houses."
Player 2 could say: "I want 10 superior and 10 standard houses".
Player 3 could say: "Alright, I'll have 10 standard houses."
Player 4 could say: "I'll have 7 houses"
Then player 5 could say, "What, that leaves only 3 houses for me! You guys might have more points but I have more attack bonus and I'm a good strategist, so I want at least 10 houses."
Next thing you know, the 5 are having a verbal squabble on the message board while the other players who aren't involved in any agreement grab all the houses, LOL :)

Or they do the smart thing and come up with a rotation system in which casde they will also score more fighting points.

So now we have three pages of this Agent's stupid blithering to distract from the original idea...

If you were distracted how could you have given it a score?

DeletedUser112399

Very well-thought proposal satisfying a minority desire for conquest while meeting the majority need for peace. +1

DeletedUser111589

Had to make sure. Never seen it be called that in the game and I did not want to base my knowledge on forum posts.

Really? Then you are either playing game really short amount of time or are without guild or in dead guild. On All 3 worlds I play on Guild expedition is always referred as GE.

How can it be abused more than the current system?

How is current system abused?

I'm undecided about the idea. The map would take further strain on the game which is a reason GvG has not been introduced on app. What would happen if we decide to aid? Would we get notification of our house being attacked? I'm sure I would like to keep my house mine, after all, just 2 players managed to pass my defense.

Trying to change a war game that offers doing battle against neighboring dominions/cities - Sounds like whining to me along with sour grapes.
The nature of the game would be altered and that's what these powder puff players want.

I have 2 low level cites in other worlds - they get plundered - so what. I get over it.

DeletedUser105078

How is current system abused?

Those who have complained that the PvP Neighbourhood Map could be abused have based it on the allegation that currently neighbours team up and work together (I quote: "One attacks, lets other know defence so easier battles and they also inform each other of when plunder is available.")

Actually, in the three years I've been playing in 12 worlds, I think I've only been attacked by more than one person in a neighbourhood a couple of times. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but as I said earlier, it must be rare based on my experience.

But, even if I've been lucky and it does happen more often, if you consider neighbours teaming up an abuse in the proposed PvP neighbourhood Map system, would it not also be an abuse in the current system? This is the reason for my earlier question: "How can it be abused more than the current system?"

Status
Not open for further replies.