• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Idea: Player on Player battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Not sure if this was raised before, would imagine it might have been, but why don't you enable live player on player battles? That would make things really interesting and battle strategy would be great to experience.

Emberguard

Legend
Not sure if this was raised before, would imagine it might have been

It has

but why don't you enable live player on player battles?

Well.... that's something we're never going to know for certain. If I had to guess, I would assume they prefer to put their time and resources into other ideas. Just because a idea seems cool on paper doesn't mean it'd be simple to implement, or that it wouldn't result in a lot of frustration once implemented

If you have a real time battle the first hurdle is matchmaking. With Player VS AI you have instant matches. You don't have to wait on anyone

With Player VS Player live battles.... now you have to wait on someone to accept your battle request. By the time they accept it they may not even be at the computer. OR even worse, they may have started Guild Expedition or Guild Battlegrounds or be in their Settlement because the matchmaking is taking too long

Basically if you have live battles you're requiring the player to not be playing any part of the game, and to just sit there doing nothing while they wait for someone to say they want to compete in a battle. How many people would then be willing to stick with that feature further down the line if every time they go to battle they have to sit and wait for someone else to either request or accept a battle with them?

The second problem you'd encounter is how long should each player have per move? Against AI it doesn't matter if you choose your next move in 1 second or 10 minutes. No one is waiting on you. Against a player you're going to need to set limits so a disconnect or AFK isn't going to result in a turn that never ends.

The third problem is deciding how you're going to handle disconnects. Is that going to be a instant lose? Is that going to have 30 seconds to reconnect? Is it going to be some other criteria?

What about server maintenance? Is that going to result in a lose for both players? Or is one of them going to be declared the winner? Is the game going to recognise that there was server maintenance as the reason for the battle being interrupted? Once the maintenance is over is the battle even able to be resumed (I'm going to assume no)?

Another question would be is it possible to surrender during a live battle? Or do you have to finish it so there's a winner?

And lastly, what if you have some outlying condition that results in a stalemate? You might start with a mix of Ages in the units. All the higher Aged units die on both sides and then neither side can hit the other players units. Is there going to be a number of turns designated where the match is over no matter what? Or is it a infinite number of turns? Is such a situation deemed as a loss to both players? Or is one declared the winner?

Probably other things I haven't considered but that's off the top of my head

Last edited:

Forwandert

Lieutenant-General
Inno does have games that are more live battle effect but they're a lot more time consuming. It's also worth bearing in mind on those games if you get attacked at 2am you better be prepared to wake up each time or you wake up hours later with less cities.

Emberguard

Legend
Inno does have games that are more live battle effect but they're a lot more time consuming. It's also worth bearing in mind on those games if you get attacked at 2am you better be prepared to wake up each time or you wake up hours later with less cities.

Somehow I don't think they're expecting live battles to be anything like Grepolis :lol: And you're right, I'd prefer my sleep at 2am

Forwandert

Lieutenant-General
Somehow I don't think they're expecting live battles to be anything like Grepolis :lol: And you're right, I'd prefer my sleep at 2am

I'm got too old for that myself now, plus with one of our group passing away it doesn't have the same appeal. I'm now back to the same bedtime I fought against as a youth.

It's always a fun game till the heart attack trumpets at 2am and then 2.01, 2.02 etc. Only bonus was you knew the person doing it wouldn't appreciate it back at 7am when your where sat drinking your coffee and repeatedly attacking them till they turned their app off.

Guessing you stopped playing now too then?

Knight of ICE

In order for an idea to be forwarded, it needs to be posted in a required format.
If it is not in the right format, nothing will be done with it.
Even when it is formatted, it can not be on the Do Not Suggest List.
Also it should not have been proposed before.

This is how you propose an idea

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/how-the-ideas-section-works.43102/

This is the Do Not Suggest List

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/do-not-suggest.37648/

And here you use the forum search function to see if your idea has not been proposed before

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?search/

Since this has been discussed before and it is on the DNS list I will archive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.