• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Planned changes - discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3315

Any idea what date this update will be? I'm holding off building and developing my city until the new points are released

DeletedUser

if you look at the US forum it says that change will be with update 0.3 which looking back usually happens on Wednesdays.

DeletedUser7223

If they gave us the date & time we could sell all buildings before & upgrade after .

DeletedUser

Here is a thought for how to deal with the issue. Move all of our buildings to our inventory with the current points removed from our tally, once we place them back on in the city we'll have the new value without the loss of upgrading. It also removes the potential exploit.

DeletedUser6065

Here is a thought for how to deal with the issue. Move all of our buildings to our inventory with the current points removed from our tally, once we place them back on in the city we'll have the new value without the loss of upgrading. It also removes the potential exploit.
One word here . . . . Brilliant!

DeletedUser

@ ambercromby idea - IMHO the question is however, is it technically possible, as it would require more server time to do move of millions of buildings, paths, roads etc. then recalculate them to 0, and give them new points when placed back - we are talking database queries here - server time is equal be it to recalculate to new values as they are placed atm. or to recalculate to 0 (they should be zeroed when in inventory) and designate them to the inventory. At that point, there would be extra queries for move to inventory - just doubling queries unnecessary and taking processing/server time.

One more downer would be also all the work to re-do the whole city from the scratch using inventory - and imagine server loads when couple of hundreds of thousands players do it at the same time for hours!

The most and simplest way, and most fair one would be to recalculate them "in-situ" all so everything is fair for everyone or just simply to leave it alone as it is.

One thing that actually doesn't penetrate is why ALL buildings/stuff got new points, even stone age? It would be much easier to make adjustments on a few buildings that were "under or over pointed" Less items to recalc, smaller impact to all of us.

My 2c

DeletedUser

@Michael K. - I wouldn't say brilliant. Brilliant would be addressing the issue in a better manner, my idea is just an idea because the Mods complain that all we do is complain without ideas.

@Warbucks - it is technically possible to do whatever they want to do. I do agree that my suggestion could create a very heavy load to the point of it not being a feasible solution. I would think a simple find/replace query would do the job just the same, but there again heavy loads on the servers.

This is a Beta game, take it offline to correct the issues in a proper manner. This issue is likely to rise up again down the road so now is a good time for the Dev team to figure out how to overcome these obstacles now rather than just tossing out a bad solution and then using the same bad solution again later down the road. I'm sure most, if not all, of us will survive without the game for a day or two.

I could go on, but I don't like to speculate at unknowns, so until a Dev posts reasons for their decision, or have a Mod do it for them, there really is nothing else to do but wait and decide in the aftermath if this game still suits my needs. Currently I don't see any real endgame to FoE other than points, so messing with them in a more negative than positive or neutral manner will have detrimental consequences.

DeletedUser

I'd be surprised if it takes more than a couple of minutes per server, which is perfectly reasonable during its usual maintenance downtime.

DeletedUser

I've been in software dev for a few decades. It's VERY easy to update global points to reflect the new values. Its also a batch process so it VERY easy to test.

1. The update program has a table with 2 columns. Column 1 is the type of building; column 2 is the amount to +/- the global points for that building.
2. Read the town. That code is already there.
3. For every building, update the global points using the table.
4. Write back the global points.
5. Do the next town.

The execution time should be WAY LESS than 5 min a server.

I have about 50 devs under me. I wouldn't waste a senior to do this as its so simple. There is NO complexity here.

DeletedUser

I would hope that this would not go into effect until after Easter considering most people put a ton of decos down that they are going to sell promptly when it ends. I am looking at losing a ton of points if this update happens before the end.

Wait nvm I guess we are gaining points b/c we are losing less than we got haha. I still have to agree with others that this is an awful implementation of a good idea. I would rather there be no change than this ridiculous penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm going to toss my voice in here. Blacksmith - I don't get where Beta has anything to do with this. Beta means you decided to change values and can. Fine. But not making the changes retroactive is beyond crazy. THAT is what players are complaining about - not the reworking of points.

It CANNOT be nearly as hard to do as recalculating battle or medal values. Even in a Beta game it is absolute, positively INSANE to penalize diamond using players. Which is what this does. The largest "losses" are to the diamond buildings in the InA. A cynical person would say it is an attempt to get us to throw them away and build them again. The new points look like they make more sense. The decision not to give these points to the VERY players paying Inno to be able to develop the game is just ridiculous. There is nothing stopping INNO from updating the point values and it smacks of disregard for the player base to not do it.

PLEASE have devs reconsider this as it is absolutely the wrong thing to do to paying customers. You tell us not to waive the "I bought diamonds" flag. But come on - I did. And I spent them on buildings. And now you're rewarding those who come along later with more points - points I CAN'T get. I am going to have at least 15k points "taken" from me relative to any player that comes along after this announcement. That's 750k battle points I need to get just to break even with this player.

It really doesn't take much for INNO to do the right thing here. If you want to change the points, change the points. ALL the points. Otherwise you are showing preference (in points and $ spent to get points) to a group of players. The ones not racing ahead and paying for the privilege....

DeletedUser11781

So with no confirmed date for this update, how long do I hold back before I decide to build 'Victorian houses'..

DeletedUser6539

So with no confirmed date for this update, how long do I hold back before I decide to build 'Victorian houses'..

Yes, i want to know the date too. We had 2 updates of changelogs in the last days but no change in points so next time you say "With the next update" be more clear.

DeletedUser

Yeah I like how they put this in the announcement, but make it impossible to do so without any time or date given. "We would like to make you aware of these planned changes now, so you are able to think ahead and prepare for the change. "

DeletedUser

I like how the Countess calls it a discussion, but it seems to be a 'royal' discussion: We speak, you listen.

My humble apologies if you are reading this, my Countess, but your loyal subjects would have you speak to our concerns thus far. Are they falling on deaf ears?

DeletedUser15014

Well, the mods on the other forum just like Blacksmith here is asking for less complaints, threats, etc and an answer on how to solve the problem. The answer has been given in every other post. The point upgrades are fine. In fact those IA buildings need it. The solution to the problem is to recalculate everyone's point total after the new values are applied. That makes everyone happy. Problem is, it's already a done deal. The mods on the other forum know it and are letting us blow off steam discussing it. The developers had no intention in changing this despite it being quite easy to code. I wonder what the reason could be. Hmm, let me sell my buildings before it is released and buy more after. It's a money maker.

DeletedUser15014

No clue. Why? Do you want to sell your buildings before? :)
I don't think I'll ever rearrange my city again. Too big a point hit.

DeletedUser

I am not at the end of the tech tree, but I would like to avoid a big hit before upgrading everything in my city (which I am about to do)

Status
Not open for further replies.