• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Password Guarded Deletion & Timed Deconstruction

Do you support this Idea

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser116509

I recently accidentally deleted my level 13 Arc (unlocked to level 16). The moderator was able to recover the initial 9 blue prints and resources for constructing a new one. There was no way to get the original level or unlock back. Well, at least mine was not a level 80 Arc.

The lessons are learned...though it is desirable to not to need to learn such lessons from a leisurely played game. Played long enough, accidents do happen.

The current deletion warning is helpful. It is less useful on mobile if you are deleting a large number of cheap special buildings such as victory towers, at which point you are getting into a habit of checking the checkbox for deletion warning - which was the case for me.

In most modern games, there are a number of guardrails against such a scenario.

Current System:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/help-stop-accidental-deleting.13490/

Proposal #1:
Setup password deletion for buildings. This can be one of the following:
1.1 By default, have GBs/Event Buildings locked from deletion, with every deletion requiring a password.
1.2 Allow users to lock down buildings from deletion - a common feature in most MMORPGs for in-game items.

According to a moderator's comment below, we may only need this for GBs, since Event Buildings can be fully recovered by support team.

Proposal #2:
Create a timed deconstruction that can be cancelled. Realistically, tearing down a building takes time. So similar to the construction timer, put a deconstruction timer for critical buildings.

Comparisons:
The choice is really going to depend on how easy is it for any one of these given existing system design:

Proposal 1.1 is mostly a front-end change. It is also the least flexible for players. It guards against malicious deletes, and most likely slows down accidental deletes. This is a very short term feature that can be implemented.

Proposal 1.2 requires a lightweight table to for checking for locks against buildings - I assume Forge of Empires has a building ID for each building? This is the most flexible option. Though it requires more work from the player and definitely some new tables. It provides more protection for both malicious and accidental deletes since players will only lock buildings that they do not want to delete anyway. So the password prompt only shows up rarely - instead of driving players into a habit of inputting password. This is more of a mid-term feature that may require more work.

Proposal 2 depends heavily on current implementations. If we can reuse the construction timer's implementation, that would be easiest to implement. Otherwise it is desirable to build a similar back end to avoid overloading existing tables. This is a very desirable feature since it pretty much eliminates the possibility of accidental delete given long enough deconstruction period. In a way, the deconstruction period serves as a "preview" to player actions. However, since it may involve refactoring, this might be longer term if the existing system cannot readily support it.

There are some other proposals I saw from other threads relating to creating a trash-bin and what not. Those can be cheap if "deletion" is really just a flag on the building entity. Given what the moderator were able to recover, I assume that the current implementation of deleting a building really means deleting it from the database and only logging an event of what happened. So that change will require more refactoring - though it might be worth it since it generally improves the robustness of the data.

There is also the possibility of disabling deletion for Great Buildings except through moderators. However, the solution could only be temporary and would definitely increase support cost. So it is not desirable.

Conclusion:
Either one of these would work. Having all of them is even better. These solutions could alleviate both player pain and moderator work load. Putting some metrics surrounding the features - such as number of cancelled deletions - will help assess the cost savings in terms of moderator cost and player loss, allowing the features to pay for themselves in a measured manner. The timed deletion could also help driving sales for Store Building item, which is instant.

Having guardrails against deletion will generally boost player confidence, thus encouraging additional time and monetary investments into the game. For instance, knowing that a level 80 Arc can be accidentally or maliciously deleted beyond recovery discourages players from purchasing blue prints or seek high level Arcs, which in turn discourages spending.

While I appreciate the constant influx of great content, property protection features will help making the game much more comfortable for players to invest in, thus driving overall player confidence and spending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord

There already is a warning. If that would be badly visible you would have a point, but if you choose to ignore it, it is your problem.

DeletedUser

+1 I make too many mistakes as well.
Clearly nobody likes to delete their Arc so a safety option extra on such buildings would be greatly appreciated.
The app is too sensitive for mistakes.

Agent327

Overlord
+1 for GBs only

It would be unnecessary for anything else due to the popup warning and support already being able to restore upto 3 buildings a year. We have the same system in place for deleting a city (password required) so certainly possible to implement into other areas as well

Some special buildings are worth much more than a GB. What if I delete 4 of those in a year?

DeletedUser116509

+1 for GBs only

It would be unnecessary for anything else due to the popup warning and support already being able to restore upto 3 buildings a year. We have the same system in place for deleting a city (password required) so certainly possible to implement into other areas as well

Good to know. If special buildings are already handled, perhaps GB would be enough. Whichever is easier for the developers and not unnecessarily complicate player interaction should be good.

Over the longer run, perhaps giving some options as to which type of building to lock is also easily doable without needing to implement additional infrastructure for locking individual buildings.

DeletedUser113901

+1
(1.2)
And something that may happen is 1 your flatmate comes drunk 2 you argue 3 you go and forget your session open 4 he starts deleting your major GBs. A lock page that'd require a password should cancel that risk.

Agent327

Overlord
And something that may happen is 1 your flatmate comes drunk 2 you argue 3 you go and forget your session open 4 he starts deleting your major GBs. A lock page that'd require a password should cancel that risk.

Since in doing so you are breaking the rules it is only fair you lose your GB's.

ntnete0

Brigadier-General
+1 i think GB should have additional chek before deleting it ... yes like entering a password of your game ....it can be ok ...

DeletedUser113235

+1 For GB only
In mobile it's very easy to do such mistakes. Mine sometimes stuck and then does multi-actions at one moment.

I don't like the idea of Password, cause the only place where you should enter your password is in Login Menu.
This can lead to security issues.
Actually, you would have to hash your password, then send request to server and he will compare the given Hash and your stored Hash. After that he will return a response.

You can handle this on the client only.
Create Random 4 digits pin, and show to the user. Then ask him to type the number if he want to delete.
Could be also - type "YES" if you want to delete this GB.
But anyway, not your own password.

DeletedUser

Learn your self, I'm not supposed to teach you.

Can I assume this means the security issues you raise are just a bad feeling about this in the sense of “hey this is my password I should protect it” or are there any real and rational reasons you are to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.