• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Online Offline

• Thread starter DeletedUser6939
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Heated discussion then, heated discussion now... :D

Yeah, I do recall having posted something very similar to this idea a couple months back myself and I had also thought of adding a "stealth mode" to hide ones' online status. Some agreed to the proposal and some didn't.

As for the use/reasoning for implementing such a feature, I originally had in mind that it could be used to trade between guildmates, yet more specifically neighbours, much more efficiently. As I'm in a fairly active guild now and there's no real problem regarding trades, I wouldn't need such a feature anymore. Nevertheless it should be mentioned that this 'status feature' would enable guild members to have real time discussions instead of just mailing each other or posting within threads hoping that someone will stop by and take a look, leaving a reply.

If your neighbourhood or guild is fairly active, then this feature isn't really of any need (at least in my opinion). Once you've entered an active guild, there's usually no long wait before a trade is accepted, especially due to the 'recent' implementation of "All Guild Member Messages". For seeing who's active within your guild and/or neighbourhood, this feature isn't really the most beneficial either. You might end up 'missing' everyone, as you have to be logged in at the same time to see if a specific person is active. Furthermore there are currently enough sufficient ways to determine the activity of players (ex. monitoring point allocation).

Did I forget anything...? :D

Regards,
Bloodwyn

EDIT: No I didn't forget anything, I missed something... As I just noticed that there was a second page to this thread! *facepalm* *facedesk* *facepalm* :D
Thus I thought I'd add the following:

@farmerlynch

why don't you post this as an idea, I don't remember it ever being discussed

This idea has been discussed numerous times before. I can't remember the name of the user, however Farmerlynch had posted that very same pic before in a thread proposing more or less exactly what the OP suggests.

I myself created a new proposal based on farmerlynch's idea and added the "stealth mode", like mentioned above, considering player privacy. Neither of these two proposals were really accepted by the community.

Regarding skype as an alternative for conversations between guild members:

It's been proposed in our guild recently and I personally do see the benefits, yet I don't really see the need to install (like I believe Pendragon stated) "another program". I'd have tor run it parallel to FoE and since I already have LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Calc and Tomboy Notes running in the background to accomplish various tasks within the guild/game, I really don't need "another program"...

Coming back to the "All Guild Member Messages", in our guild we have all members ranked as 'notifiers'. I'm starting to ask myself if that was such a good idea, regarding the silence within the guild forum, however it's been an extreme improvement for trades. If it were easier for members to acces the guild forum (as in one click)

or there would be some kind of automatic notification for new posts... well that's a completely different idea (and has been proposed before too...)

I believe that was it though... otherwise I'm gonna start getting off topic. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser276

Yeah, I do recall having posted something very similar to this idea a couple months back myself

People seem to see the ideas section getting cleaned as a sign to repeat ideas. Which is a waste of time. The devs have the old lists of ideas so repeating them is just a waste of time and discussion. But its your guys's time and thoughts so no point in popping in saying... been talked about before so stop. Besides forums are for discussions :)

Regarding skype as an alternative for conversations between guild members:

It's been proposed in our guild recently and I personally do see the benefits, yet I don't really see the need to install (like I believe Pendragon stated) "another program".

Skype is just one program. There are chat rooms out there that you can create on chat sites without having to instal anything.
Dont just look at whats typed. think outside the box :) everyones thoughts so far have been inside the box.

DeletedUser

Dont just look at whats typed. think outside the box :) everyones thoughts so far have been inside the box.

Are you proposing that we should acknowledge the use of other programs or sites? It's up to every user for themselves, sure, but that's not point of a game is it? I mean we have a message center and a guild forum. The necessity of another form of communication, instead of just improving one of the old, is fairly ridiculous. That's just my opinion though.

Cheers,
Bloodwyn

DeletedUser6939

I don't want any more people spamming in this thread, its rejected idea, moderators please close it.

DeletedUser6939

who said it was a rejected idea?

Who said it isn't? If I have chance to EDIT idea i will do it now, how about you just implement an indicator that will show if ONLY GUILD MEMBERS are offline or online?

DeletedUser2029

there's nothing stopping you to rewrite your idea and include favourable suggestions
e.g. allow only guild members to have on/offline indicator (I think that that indicator should only have guild founders and leaders, but that's just me)

DeletedUser6939

there's nothing stopping you to rewrite your idea and include favourable suggestions
e.g. allow only guild members to have on/offline indicator (I think that that indicator should only have guild founders and leaders, but that's just me)

Why not all members?

DeletedUser2029

same reason as why not allow everyone to know that information (spying), but there's nothing stopping you to grant "leader" or "founder" status to every member

DeletedUser

Who said it isn't? If I have chance to EDIT idea i will do it now, how about you just implement an indicator that will show if ONLY GUILD MEMBERS are offline or online?

You can always edit your idea with suggestions from responses and until as long as you keep to the Idea section rules, your idea will be archived.
But you have to realize people are in favor of it and against it, so discussions will nearly always arise. :)

- L

DeletedUser1094

Lodroth is right. The initial Idea is often altered due to debates... If you figure the idea to be more edible for the Staff, if it's edited in any way, just do it and post a note about the changes.

But you have to realize people are in favor of it and against it, so discussions will nearly always arise. :)

I wish that, some ideas was started in the Game Discussions section, before they were proposed in here. In that way, thought through and already well debated ideas could be properly presented in here, and would have a better chance for survival. But I won't place any bets on that's ever going to happen...I can just wish. ;)