• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Online Offline

• Thread starter DeletedUser6939
  • Start date

DeletedUser6939

Proposal: Adding ONline and OFFline indicator for guild members only.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea: Of course, i haven't found any similar idea.

Reason: OFF and ONline indicator would probably help a lot of players to see if there guildmates are online or offline.

Details: Offline, little red dot next to the username would logically show that person is OFFLINE, and little green dot would logically show that person is ONLINE.

Visual Aids:
RedDotCMS300w.jpg
greendot.jpg

Although pictures are big, they are not huge in size, they are just zoomed for better preview.

Balance/Abuse Prevention: There would be no abuse or balance of this, it's just online-offline indicator. :D

Edit: Idea edited due to this post:
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?6323-Online-Offline&p=42165&viewfull=1#post42165

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4089

Welcome to the forums, thanks for posting.

Please read this thread. There you'll find the mandatory template. Please edit your post to follow the correct format. Threads that do not use the template will be closed or deleted.

Thanks for playing Forge of Empires.

DeletedUser6939

Thanks for bringing me head-on update, i will edit thread ASAP.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Actually, it is abuse. It will blatantly say that this guy is clearly on a different region, and when you attack that guy, you know you are safe for another 10 or so hours before he/she wakes up. Guild? Maybe, seems reasonable, unless one decides to give you all in. But definitely not neighborhood. That is just outright cheating in my opinion.

DeletedUser6939

Lol, who was mentioning anything about showing on-offline status on other regions? I don't read in my suggestion: ,, Hey you will see dude that is online in Fer Danjurgh server and you are in Dinegu.'' I was talking about people that are in SAME region, i don't see how you even think of people that are from different regions. Beside, ok about neibroughoods you are right, but what about guild?! I want to see when my guildmate is online!

DeletedUser

There was a heated discussion about this a few weeks ago, when someone brought up this idea.
People were complaining about privacy, cheating and timing plunders, etc.

He suggested a very easy fix for all of that;
Like nearly every IM program, there is a "Show Offline" feature. That could be implemented with this idea.

Players who do not want anyone ever to abuse this system could just "Show Offline" and never be bothered with the feature again, but players who would appreciate this feature in the game could use it.

For example, as a Guildleader it is often very handy to know for members if I and the Founder are online or not.
Although, right now we're using the Guild Forum and (try to) update every single time we go online and offline in a thread we have, but naturally not every member goes checking that thread the whole time. But the thread we're using is a viable work around to this idea.

- L

DeletedUser

Allowing only the leaders/founders to see who is online in their personal guild would be the optimum limit for this idea.

DeletedUser1094

I really can't see the point of this. Why is it so important to know, precisely when a player is on-line or not. Only when a player is capable of self-controlling the defence, can this be beneficial.
All players are told in the event-news, at precisely which hour they have been attacked. So you already knows, when your opponents are active and can act accordingly to that... and so can they.

DeletedUser

As I said in my post, it's handy to know for guildmembers at least, if they have questions (I'm also a bit of an altruist in-game lol).

Secondly, to set up trades would be the next main reason, I guess.
If you have a high value trade going on with some rare goods, other players could snatch it before the intended trader gets the opportunity to accept it.

- L

DeletedUser1094

Still... this game is NOT a minute-game. There's no instances within the Game-play that demands instant actions. Time is on the players side... I perform the same role in my Guilds, and the same applies there, regarding time-issues. Forge of Empires is no "fast action" game...

DeletedUser65

for the idea of knowing when exactly someone is online a big no from me, its an invasion of privacy, it gives players an insight into your activity so if you or they leave they know when your offline

the only type of activity marker i would be happy with would be something along the lines of below in the pic

Green- the player is active(not nessacarily online but active)
yellow- has been offline for 2days+
red- has been offline for 7 days+
blue - is in vacation mode(if/when we get it)
this way guild leaders can monitor players activity without knowing there specific times online. a win-win situation in my eyes

activity.jpg

DeletedUser

I think that idea would be an even greater abuse.

Guildleaders could theoretically give that info to other players who could use it to their benefit.

As said and ignored before; what's wrong with a "Show Offline" feature? It would solve all problem this idea could possibly raise.

- L

DeletedUser65

i dont see how this is abusable as this is info that is already available to everyone(if they bother to take note of a players points score-no change = no activity)
the whole show offline option would be made redundant by the fact i would always be shown as offline.

DeletedUser

the whole show offline option would be made redundant by the fact i would always be shown as offline.

That's the whole point. For you it would be redundant, and you wouldn't have to bother with it. So what is your loss at players that would love to use the system?
I think that is win-win.

Also, if you keep track of when a player goes online/offline to use it to your advantage, that's their problem. Besides that info is ALSO readily available in the News screen.
You can see when a player attacked or visited your town, can see if they're building something, etc. Ofcourse they can go offline directly after their action, but they could also just "show offline" directly after their action. It changes nothing.

If you forget to 'show offline', you've just made a mistake that is similar to forgetting to put your attacking army back in defense. Your own responsibility.

- L

DeletedUser

Forge of Empires is no "fast action" game...
I would disagree on that. Specially when you are trying to make your guild #1 on server and are trying to keep it always full of active and loyal people. Communication is very important in those moments. But if you are a medium player, than yes, time is on your side.

the only type of activity marker i would be happy with would be something along the lines of below in the pic

Green- the player is active(not nessacarily online but active)
yellow- has been offline for 2days+
red- has been offline for 7 days+
blue - is in vacation mode(if/when we get it)
this way guild leaders can monitor players activity without knowing there specific times online. a win-win situation in my eyes

activity.jpg

+1 for that, though i would suggest to start from "offline for 24h", since some guilds may have the goal to be forged from very active players

+ make it a 'guild authority' type thing, like you need special permission to see who is/is not active inside the guild

DeletedUser2029

+ make it a 'guild authority' type thing, like you need special permission to see who is/is not active inside the guild

+1 agree

@farmerlynch

why don't you post this as an idea, I don't remember it ever being discussed

DeletedUser6939

This may be not a minute-game, but i want to see when my guild member is online so we can coordinate our attacks.

DeletedUser276

why not try skype or another instant message service for your guild?

or have people check in and out of the guild forums.

DeletedUser

why not try skype or another instant message service for your guild?

or have people check in and out of the guild forums.

As a guild master i would like to keep you informed on some data:

1.) Even if you will have a 100% daily active guild, only 20% of people will be active on forums - about 50% passively read it - about 80% will check out a post if you send them a message to do that
Conclusion: accessing the forum is really a pain in the ass.

2.) Allot of people that play this game are 20+ so they have work = their scheduel is very diverse and the barely get the time to send some attacks , put buildings to work and quickly read inbox messages.

3.) For aprox 3 months i have been trying to bring the guild to skype, only 15% actually joined - i do know how to motivate people.

Hope this helps, i'm the leader of a TOP2 guild on Brisgard.

DeletedUser

Using the mass-mail function for this could work as well; even though only notifiers can start up a mass-mail, everybody can respond to one and everyone will see the messages.
I see people having semi-chats through the message box that way, and if 80% of the guild members read it, I think it's a way to get into touch with most of your guild members that shouldn't be dismissed too easily :) It doesn't involve installing another programme, and neither extra clicks to get to the forum.
It can get chaotic though ... but so can services like skype.

To make it complete free-for-all, you could give everyone the notifier rank... but not sure that's really advisable, so maybe that option should just be forgotten :p