• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Nice Guys Finish Last (even here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I'm in the LMA, my map is finished and I basically do nothing but make resources to trade to my neighbors. They can't make anything I need, and that does not bother me, I'll trade for whatever they have. My town is mostly Goods buildings of types I do not have on my map; because that is the resources that the people need..I'm a 'nice guy'.

All of my gold and resources (and about half of my Forge Points) go to these goods, for the betterment of my neighbors; wasting troops attacking other players to get PvP points is not something I can afford to do (with the map complete, that would be my only option). And yet I still have idiots that attack someone 2 Ages ahead of them, just to get PvP points (I guess I should post a notice that I will not trade with anyone that attacks me, even once - I keep a list).

The point I am trying to make here is that I like this game because it is not developed around total combat, but when all the rewards are focused on combat, and not helping people out, it gets a little disheartening.

How about some rewards for trade goods? (maybe based on how many resources you spend on them). How about taking PvP points from people who attack and lose, and give them to the victor?

I produce all of this stuff ...and it's no good to me (goods produced at varying times, not all at once)

Goods 7-13.JPG

DeletedUser1081

I guess I should post a notice that I will not trade with anyone that attacks me, even once - I keep a list.

sending a PM to everyone would probably be more effective, although some people will no doubt still attack: not everyone reads village profiles, but everyone needs expansions.

i don't grasp why you feel you're "finishing last", though - i understand that it's annoying being surrounded by people who have a different playing style than you, and if they're callous enough about it it can seem downright repellent. but still! since you read the forums, i trust you're aware that there's currently a bug that lets defense troops be damaged. once that's fixed, the harm that can be done by people attacking is really minor.

(NB: there's also a current bug that makes it look like people have plundered you when they haven't - just so you know they may not all be plundering you!)

several of my neighbours and i have agreed (once those bugs are fixed) to have "friendly fights" just for the battle points (no plundering!), and to discuss the battles before and afterwards so that we can learn what works well. maybe if you can come to terms with something like that it won't bother you so much. you can simply look at it as another way to be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm basically done expanding/getting points; the only expansions I have left are all PvP and once all my buildings are LMA there won't be anything for that - but the people who want to fight 24/7 will continue to get points and leave me in the dust...

DeletedUser

I'd quite like to see trading, polish/motivate, and negotiation points be made similar to fighting battles, no idea how this would work as the points are all a mystery to me. It would open the game up to a variety of play styles with everyone having a chance to 'win' even if they don't want to go the violent route.

DeletedUser1081

maybe they could let us choose whether we want to be in "builder" neighbourhoods, "fighter" neighbourhoods or "mixed" neighbourhoods. different cultures ...

DeletedUser

I'd quite like to see trading, polish/motivate, and negotiation points be made similar to fighting battles, no idea how this would work as the points are all a mystery to me. It would open the game up to a variety of play styles with everyone having a chance to 'win' even if they don't want to go the violent route.

I agree to this - currently, after the recent points recalculation, it's become too combat-orientated :(.

Personally, I don't care much about being #1 or winning, I like to play the game in my own way, complete quests, build my village, try to balance things, trade with guild & neighbourhood. I'm having a lot of fun that way, and that's what counts, in my opinion.

DeletedUser

I agree with the OP. I'm in EMA but there's a guy in my Cirgard save much further ahead than me, they've basically attacked the full local 80 every single day since the merger. I don't see the need your double anyone else no real need to attack them and hold them up further surley

DeletedUser

It's not about the taking part, it's the winning ! That's not an opinion, that is correct !! :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Seeing there are likely going to be more people like you, I think it's time for the dev's to start thinking about some sort of endgame in PvE ... also because: even if 'you' stick around for the next 'age' it's fairly clear you will likely rush throught it, to end you up in the same situation again...

And other thing that may be interesting is 'buying' victory points (of sorts) with goods, somehow... what may work is to weave this into the endgame, seeing one can win fights by spending goods, and PvE map fighting seems to give points for ladders as well, 'trading' for victory should also give points ...

DeletedUser

Tee Hee. Thought that might provoke a hostile reaction. Now, if i can just reel you in.......

DeletedUser276

lol well..... I will try to speak on a few points though my record today is off :P I am just sleepy. The heat wave here in Canada is affecting my rest.

I said in a previous post that the game works in waves. At the start it concentrated on building your city. Then when the next massive update hit it concentrated on fighting. Next massive update should change it more to building orientated.

See people were complaining there wasnt enough concentration on the fighting... too much on the building. Now they are saying there is too much fighting and not enough concentration on building. I know what is going to be said next ;)

as for polishing and motivating being = to fighting points... just remember it takes 2 seconds to polish or motivate with no loss to you as the player... fighting takes time and the high potential of losing troops in a fight which take more time and resources to retrain. Making those = isnt really much of an option.

DeletedUser

...as for polishing and motivating being = to fighting points... just remember it takes 2 seconds to polish or motivate with no loss to you as the player... fighting takes time and the high potential of losing troops in a fight which take more time and resources to retrain. Making those = isnt really much of an option.

I'd quite like to see trading, polish/motivate, and negotiation points be made similar to fighting battles...

I think there should be more balance for doing all of these as opposed to fighting, I agree that if you just polish you don't deserve nearly as many points. Maybe you wouldn't get so many points, but if you conduct a very large amount of trade, send emissaries and peacefully expand your empire you gain a reputation, and in this case the only way to show this is with points.
As for 2 seconds, with my connection that's definitely "I wish" :) A 2 spear defence also takes 'a few seconds' and gets you 200/240 points with no loss and potentially more than 20 coin
Also don't forget these points would also be available to the fighters as well

I'm happy to fight, but I see myself leaving people who trade with me and help in other ways getting left behind, sometimes at a similar development level but with 1/3 -> 1/4 the points, something seems out of wack :p I think they should be at least at 60-80% of my points

DeletedUser503

I joined this Beta to try a change from Tribal Wars and Travian that are now both totally battle oriented. Why build anything when you can plunder all you want.
I like the mix of trading/ building and fighting but the AI for fighting is a bit crude (to say the least). I'd prefer an improved fighting scenario but with less emphasis on its points generation. I assume the idea is to build a game more like CIV than TW, so I'd also be interested in more twists in trading, such as 'trusted merchants' that can trade at a greater ratio spread.
The other thing I'd like looked into is players fielding armies in every PvP Era. I noticed one world I play where one player was champion in every era.

DeletedUser

several of my neighbours and i have agreed (once those bugs are fixed) to have "friendly fights" just for the battle points (no plundering!)

I like that idea. Fighting "for love" (of fighting), as it were. I'm gonna put it into suggested features.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser1081

I like that idea. Fighting "for love" (of fighting), as it were. I'm gonna put it into suggested features.

Thanks very much, Anwar! If you can, it would be great to have the option to polish/motivate an opponent after a battle instead of plundering him/her. We really are just doing it for sport, and the medals are the prize. Plundering active neighbours is ... declassé. :cool:

I hope you also noticed this closely related idea: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?4010-No-Plunder-Option

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser503

Thanks very much, Anwar! If you can, it would be great to have the option to polish/motivate an opponent after a battle instead of plundering him/her. We really are just doing it for sport, and the medals are the prize. Plundering active neighbours is ... declassé. :cool:

I hope you also noticed this closely related idea: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?4010-No-Plunder-Option

On Trav, many players do not raid smaller active players (if they ask), even posting a notice on their home page, as there are so many other targets, and it is self defeating as new players just quit and never come back.

Now we have more active players I don't plunder smaller ones. of course it could easliy be made impossible to plunder a player with less than 50% your points by a simple algorithm. Such as on TW

DeletedUser1946

I really loved the plundering option since I get to receive messages from my victims that stealing their glass/salt is unforgivable :P

DeletedUser

I really loved the plundering option since I get to receive messages from my victims that stealing their glass/salt is unforgivable :P

Yeah I've had a few of those myself....personally I'd like to see an ignore function implemented :p

Status
Not open for further replies.