In the last months we've been frequently receiving feedback regarding the ranking not representing your in-game achievements and activity (including Great Buildings and the ranking points they provide). There are indeed some inconsistencies in the ranking that arose during the years.
To handle this problem, we have decided to introduce some changes in this area of the game. We spent some time considering what would be the best approach and we agreed that some major changes are needed in order to improve the current setup.
Major balancing changes will obviously cause major ranking shake-up: Many players will get a higher position in the ranking, but just as many will go down the ranking.
The majority of the players who will lose their position are players with very high level Great Buildings, because their value will be much more reasonable from now on. To symbolically compensate the loss and to give everyone an opportunity to preserve the memory of their dominance in the old ranking setup, we will save a top 25 players from the day before the recalculation and put the list right here in the forums. Additionally, all players with at least 1000 ranking points (when the recalculation takes place) will receive a city decoration that will be a proof of their achievement:
These decoration will not be obtainable in any other way in the future.
How exactly will the ranking change?
On 18th of February, 2016, the points formulas will be adjusted and the ranking will be recalculated. From that point on, it will base on 3 parts:
- Battle points. This is the same as in the current setup. All the battle points (from all battles you fight) will count towards the ranking, just like they do now (and with the same value). Also all the current ranking points that come from your battles will be kept.
- Goods spent. Whenever a good is spent, its point value will be added to the ranking (research tree, Great Buildings, sector negotiation and so on). The only exception is trading - goods spent there will not be counted towards the ranking (to avoid possible abuses). The goods values differ depending on their age (the higher the age, the higher the value). Points for all the goods spent until now will be retroactively added to the ranking.
- Buildings points. All the buildings in the game will have a points value calculated basing on their size, era and type (event and premium buildings are a bit more valuable than other, standard buildings).
Great Buildings points value will also change significantly. They will still be much more valuable then any other non-Great buildings from their eras, but this value will not be that high any more.
The ranking value of a GB will consist of 3 parts:
- Standard building value - a value of a normal building from the same era and of the same size.
- Value of goods that need to be spent to build it initially.
- Value of Forge Points that have been put in to build it up, up to the current level (summarized).
The recalculation will change the ranking significantly and we are sorry about this inconvenience. This is also the reason of why we are giving you this early heads-up (there are still more than 2 months to go).
We do see a value in the changes that you've been requesting and we hope that this will solve the ranking issues once and for all. From February on, the ranking will be recalculated regularly (this is not the case currently), so if any ranking points are incorrectly added or removed (e.g. due to a bug), such an inaccuracy will be solved with the next recalculation.
Thank you for your patience and remember to leave us your feedback!
Forge of Empires Team