• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New look buildings menu

It's going to take a little getting used to but I quite like it.
IMG_1217.jpg

The unit buildings menu is especially better.
IMG_1218.jpg

Last edited:
Coo, well done, even the logout option has been moved to the top of the Settings list! About time the most-accessed option is at the top :)

Vesiger

Monarch
Yes, we finally get to see what the other options we're not currently using will be, and the state of health of the other units in a barracks that's producing :D

I'm not so keen on the new messaging layout, though.

IMG_1225.jpg

Having to to scan the eye from the message on the left, to the name on the right, is awkward. The layout also implies a disassociation between the picture and the name, when in fact they belong together.

I think the name of the poster should be left-justified on the current line it is on. The timestamp could remain right-justified.

I'm not so keen on the new messaging layout, though.

View attachment 13495

Having to to scan the eye from the message on the left, to the name on the right, is awkward. The layout also implies a disassociation between the picture and the name, when in fact they belong together.

I think the name of the poster should be left-justified on the current line it is on. The timestamp could remain right-justified.

Spot on. It is beyond common sense that the devs wouldn't have picked up on this glaring error. The picture and name should be together....

I really like the new production buildings menu. Now I can see just what it is that I queued up on a building: is that the last 10 minutes of a 24-hour run, or did I set that building up 5 minutes ago? Solved!

The units building menu is great too. However, I have two small improvement suggestions (if anyone from Inno is reading this thread, which I created because there was no announcement/feedback thread).
  1. The units building button to recruit a troop says "Produce". I think this may be technically wrong, because everywhere else in Forge of Empires, the word used is "Recruit" to get a troop; unless 'recruit' is only applied to the completion of a troop? I cannot recall what the old screen said but "Produce" is strange (though linguistically passable) and if 'recruit' only applies to completed units, then "train" would be more appropriate.
  2. While building a new unit, the other units in a building are greyed-out and disabled. I'm not sure quite why this is necessary but the upshot is that a player can only speed the healing of units in a barracks when the barracks are not currently training one. Personally, I don't spend diamonds to heal units but I can't see why a player should not be able to do so.

Last edited:

DeletedUser111351

Have these changes supposedly already rolled out? Is that why I'm finding it nearly impossible to log in today? Game is constantly going to roughly 70% then just hanging forever. Sometimes it continues loading several minutes later. Most times it never goes any further. Plus I don't see any of these changes, but they may only have rolled out into beta.

The are on the app. I am shocked that the browser didn't get them first but that might explain why there is no announcement about the changes, nor any official feedback thread which Inno will read.

I doubt that app updates would slow the game servers.

DeletedUser111351

As for the "new" chat window, that's exactly what the browser chat has always looked like.

DeletedUser111351

For the other 2 dialogs here are my thoughts:

The production looks similar to the browser, but more "loud" and "busy." Basically it adds nothing but makes it harder to focus on items of import. Too much going on there.

The troops building, without mouseover tooltips I'm not even sure what is going on there. Is that timer on troop recruitment or healing? Is that red X a delete or a cancel. Also, I extremely dislike the location of the diamonds and X buttons. That is the location where recruitment or unlock buttons go. Buttons I regularly want, and need, to press should not sometimes be replaced by buttons I almost never want to press and have very drastic consequences.

DeletedUser111589

The troops building, without mouseover tooltips I'm not even sure what is going on there. Is that timer on troop recruitment or healing? Is that red X a delete or a cancel. Also, I extremely dislike the location of the diamonds and X buttons. That is the location where recruitment or unlock buttons go. Buttons I regularly want, and need, to press should not sometimes be replaced by buttons I almost never want to press and have very drastic consequences.

Its production process. The healing can be seen under the troop name. I'd take a screenshot but my troops have healed and been produced by now.

DeletedUser111589

@Prinza the Hunter I'm quoting this: "
  1. While building a new unit, the other units in a building are greyed-out and disabled. I'm not sure quite why this is necessary but the upshot is that a player can only heal units in a barracks so long as he isn't currently training one. Personally, I don't spend diamonds to heal units but I can't see why a player should not be able to do so."
Units heal and produce at the same time. However, healing can't be sped up with diamonds if a troop is being produced.

The production looks similar to the browser, but more "loud" and "busy." Basically it adds nothing but makes it harder to focus on items of import. Too much going on there.

I agree with the "loud" and "busy" comments. That is similar to the reaction the beta community gave the original Quest Overview and it took quite a bit of fine-tuning. These screens haven't gone through that process: indeed, there is no announcement/feedback thread on this forum or even on the beta forum.

There is a great deal added; it need not have been done so garishly and with inbalanced emphasis.

As stated:
Its production process. The healing can be seen under the troop name.
The timer is either recruiment or healing, as applicable.
The X button is a cancel. Delete .. it should be there but isn't (maybe there's a slide - I've closed the app for the night but will check).
The diamonds buttons: well, Inno seem to be pushig harder on that aspect.
IMG_1226.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser111589

@Prinza the Hunter I'm quoting this: "

Units heal and produce at the same time. However, healing can't be sped up with diamonds if a troop is being produced.

Edit: units can be healed with gems. Just click on greyed out column of injured troop and confirmation button to spend gems will appear.

(Didn't test that out without unmarked gem spending warning so no idea if such warning will appear to those who unmarked it)

DeletedUser111351

Well first, since people have always been able to heal with gems already in the pre-fight screen, whether or not one can from the barracks is fairly irrelevant. I would assume the "grey-out" on other units when one is being produced is because one can only "produce" one unit at a time. Previously when one unit was building all other units were hidden from view. Now, since all units are always visible, they still can't click to build two at a time. Thus all others are greyed. Healing has never had anything to do with the buildings at all.

@Prinza the Hunter I can deal with them being pushy with the diamonds. I prefer it to be available but not pushy, but that isn't what bothers me. Having a button that is regularly pressed and then sometimes swapping that button with a diamond spending button is akin to bait-and-switch. It is something that causes people to spend diamonds when they did not mean to. Being pushy to try to encourage spending is fair game. Taking people's diamonds because they are tricked should not be. Confirmation dialog on spending diamonds or not, an accidental double click instead of single or a little bit of lag that makes a player think zero clicks have been done yet and so a second is made can happen too easily as it is. Or if one has the confirmation turned off.

Same is true with that cancel button. Most times I open a barracks there is no button at all because no one is hurt. Then when someone dies I intentionally go to my barracks and a button appears to recruit a replacement. I typically do not click on a building when it is in the process of recruiting. So, habit is, if I see a button below a troop icon I click it. It's a standard pattern recognition/response that humans do by nature. The fact that the buttons have different labels or icons doesn't not matter (yes, they are different and so there is a probability of noticing the difference in time or not). Heck, I know I've canceled productions in supplies buildings on accident by this very thing (slightly different as that's a different building opens then the one I thought I was clicking on, which is also a problem that will occur here, but same principal).

DeletedUser110915

Yes, we finally get to see what the other options we're not currently using will be, and the state of health of the other units in a barracks that's producing :D
Unfortunate colours. Way too bright, also too easy to accidently heal using diamonds.